Gamers Are More Dangerous Drivers Than Non-Gamers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Video gamers suck at driving in the real world. According to the article, gamers "think" they are good drivers but in reality, they aren't. Whatever, they are just jealous of our skillz. Thanks to DemonDiablo for the link.

The study on gamers and driving was put together by Continental Tires, who quizzed 2,000 motorists (half gamers, half non-gamers) between the ages of 17 and 39 on their driving habits. Though gamers believe they're more skilled drivers, they admit to taking higher risks and making more claims on their insurance.

This may be true for pure "Game" racers (NFS, GT5, and other crap like that) but I know for a fact that the skills I learned in iRacing over the years have saved my ass on the highway at least twice.

In other news, a study done showed that 100% of people lie on quizzes and surveys.... ;)

Perhaps more gamers have claims on their insurance because we have to keep trying to avoid all the other idiot drivers out there...

It's a crapshoot because a gamer can be ANYONE, literally. From any age, to either gender.

And most kids who sit inside a lot ARE horrible drivers that think they are good, I know a few.

Perhaps more gamers have claims on their insurance because we have to keep trying to avoid all the other idiot drivers out there...

Based on the numbers i saw, the gamers are the idiot drivers out there.....

In all honesty I tend to not drive my car due to a couple of reasons.

1. When I drive I tend to lose focus on driving cause my mind if always on gaming & sometimes I have literally started day dreaming while driving.

2. Driving makes me tired & yes ive fallen asleep at the wheel.

3. Ever seen someone walking on the side of the Road & your like Hmmm. 10 points if you hit this person then you see another and they are only worth 5 or 6 points. its like a game to see how many points you can get. If only it was a video game.

false confidence from virtual maneuvers..that just dont translate to the physical realm..so well..

I got mostly silver trophies in the GT4 driving school, so you can suck it.

so what the hell do the last two statistics mean?: (game, don't game)

Attempts before passing test 2 3
No. of prangs to their vehicle in last 12months 1 2

Looks pretty obvious that WE are the better drivers, and non-gamers are whiners :D

I used to have a wonderful bumper sticker from the board game Car Wars http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2795/car-wars

DRIVE OFFENSIVELY !!

This may be true for pure "Game" racers (NFS, GT5, and other crap like that) but I know for a fact that the skills I learned in iRacing over the years have saved my ass on the highway at least twice.

Must be all the console/arcade racer kids (I play some of those too, so don't get your knickers in a twist), racing in Rfactor hasn't inspired me drive like a total wanker, doesn't say where this survey was taken (country, or state), but California drivers are fecking dangerous, heaven forbid it snowed, they don't have a damn clue when it just rains.

Maybe it helps that I learned how to drive in a country that spent 40-60% of it's time under rain or snow conditions.

err
i'm guessing most of the ppl that are gamers are also in the lower end of that age range
so all they really proved is younger ppl are bad drivers

I have been driving for 15 years and have never been in an at fault accident. The only ticket I have ever gotten was a speeding ticket in a speed trap.

I think it's a leap at best. I have 2 gamer friends that drive and 1 is kinda bad while the other is excellent.

Im a h4rdc0r3 g4m3r and 40..last speeding ticket or any ticket i got was over 10 yrs ago and it was for a stop sign ....LIES!!!!!!!! someones making this junk up here or wanting us to post in general...:rolleyes:

I've been gaming since I first got an NES when I was like 6 or 7 and the only accident I've ever been in was a 3 car pileup. The guy in front of me didn't hit his brakes at all and demolished the lady in front of him (she got cut off my a snowplow) and I hit the brakes fast enough that I only did minor damage to him. If I hadn't been eating while driving and I hadn't been in a 4,000-5,000 pound SUV with shitty brakes my 1337 FPS gamer skillz probably could have actually prevented it. lol

err
i'm guessing most of the ppl that are gamers are also in the lower end of that age range

+1
This just proves that gamers are more likely to be young & guys, which the insurance companies already label are higher risk.

California drivers are convinced they are the best drivers... in actuality its a bunch of immigrants and people from other home states + native Californians that think they deserve to be in California more than the transplants and that Mexican to the left of you on the highway.

again, I am superior to all drivers except Michael Schumacher (and anyone else in professional racing [not including certain racing series that I don't have time to list because I am driving so damn awesome] I suppose).

The curious part is... Look Who has the most "prangs in their vehicle" in the last 12 months... And Who took more attempts to pass their Driving Test. Just seems odd to me.

err

This.
Unless your splits at every age are 50/50 gamer/non gamer, all you've proven is that younger people, who are mostly gamers, are also bad drivers.

Nothing to see here, please disperse...

lmao... I lost all faith when it said "prangs to vehicle" I dont even know what that means so I am going to disregard this as netfiction

Games taught me how to handle rainy/snowy/icy conditions. Hands down they made me a better driver and saved my ass plenty of times. (like with how to handle things jumping out in front of my car on the highway)

Continental Tires suck, obviously.

I have Continental tires on my Cadillac (Continental ExtremeContact DWS to be exact) and they are awesome. Much better than the Michelins I've previously had.

As for realism, is GT5 really that bad in terms of driving physics and vehicle behavior? Obviously the lack of damage and the very generic "tuning" upgrades are not realistic but what about the handling of the cars?

the study is bull .
and its because when im out driving around town

THe FREAkinG !!!!!!!!!!!! @ZZ H0L3z wILL nOT gET out oF THE freakiNG WAY !!!!!!!!

so i cant drive like i do in video games .

WILL YOU GOOOOOOOOOOOO already !!! the light IS GREEEN GO Go GIO gOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

WHat the HELL ARe u DOING !!!!!!!!!!! TUrn ALREADY Damn !!!!! get Out THE Way !!!!!!!!! So i can Goooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGGJHAGJHAGLA :AK

that is my daily driving experience.

in games i find it a lot more peaceful.

driving games bring peace to the reality of driving in everyday traffic. thus making me a more calmer more peaceful driver on the road .

the study is bull .
and its because when im out driving around town

THe FREAkinG !!!!!!!!!!!! @ZZ H0L3z wILL nOT gET out oF THE freakiNG WAY !!!!!!!!

so i cant drive like i do in video games .

WILL YOU GOOOOOOOOOOOO already !!! the light IS GREEEN GO Go GIO gOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

WHat the HELL ARe u DOING !!!!!!!!!!! TUrn ALREADY Damn !!!!! get Out THE Way !!!!!!!!! So i can Goooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARGGJHAGJHAGLA :AK

that is my daily driving experience.

in games i find it a lot more peaceful.

driving games bring peace to the reality of driving in everyday traffic. thus making me a more calmer more peaceful driver on the road .

My favorite situation is when there's a left turn only light, and that's the only time you can turn left. Usually people sit there and wait until it turns yellow before they start moving...

That, and people in the far left lane going 10-15mph lower than the speed limit on a major highway.

And people who are making a left turn, when they are at a stop sign, and pull 1/2 way into the intersection, blocking you from making a left turn when you don't have the stop sign.

And when there's a middle lane on a major road, and instead of pulling into the middle lane to turn, people come to a complete stop in the left lane, blocking traffic.

And I could go on and on...

I call bullshit on this fluff piece article.

You're a bad driver if you're stopped by the police. Period. What?!

Driven the wrong way down a one way street? What the frak does that have to do with gaming, almost everyone has done that once in their life. That doesn't make you a bad driver and often it's due to poor signage.

If you speed, you're a bad driver? Fuck off. When I drive down the highway at 5:00, 80% of motorists are speeding, even a little bit.

Their prerequisites for being a 'bad driver' are bullshit.

Why don't they try, "Have you ever smashed into another car?"
Have you ever killed anyone?
Have you ever lost your license?
Have you ever been convicted of drunk driving?

What the fuck...

I call bullshit on this fluff piece article.

You're a bad driver if you're stopped by the police. Period. What?!

Driven the wrong way down a one way street? What the frak does that have to do with gaming, almost everyone has done that once in their life. That doesn't make you a bad driver and often it's due to poor signage.

If you speed, you're a bad driver? Fuck off. When I drive down the highway at 5:00, 80% of motorists are speeding, even a little bit.

Their prerequisites for being a 'bad driver' are bullshit.

Why don't they try, "Have you ever smashed into another car?"
Have you ever killed anyone?
Have you ever lost your license?
Have you ever been convicted of drunk driving?

What the fuck...

"prangs in their vehicle"
prang is a british slang for crash/wreck
so that would be the equivalent of "Have you ever smashed into another car?"

I've only been in two accidents in sixteen years but I totaled both cars. Does that make me a good driver for only two accidents or a bad one for totaling two cars? The first was a major flips a bmw seven and half time corner over corner, and the second I slid in the rain into another car and they decided since I messed up the corner panel to total it out. :)

I learned all my drivin skillz from GTA and it has help me drive down them HOs I see in the city.

This is weird. I thought I saw an article on frontpage Slashdot recently about how gamers are better drivers than non-gamers.

Back