Gamers are ditching Radeon graphics cards over driver issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's funny to me is that I experienced the black screen issue on my Vega64 & Radeon VII, but eventually 'solved' it. Highest bid gets the solution*!!
*Solution may only be applicable to my system. Positive resolution for other systems not guaranteed. All transactions final. (don't read further, solution below and I want my money first!)

However, my high refresh rate monitor flickers from time to time and I have not bothered working to a resolution on that as it only appears to happen outside of games. So, 2D issues but no apparent 3D issues though if performance is impacted, that's not an obvious spot.

For me, the black screen issue was tied to ReLive and/or my multi-monitor setup.

With ReLive disabled and one monitor in use, the issue never presented itself.
With a second monitor enabled I would sometimes experience similar issues, but since I stumbled across this months back I was just happy to get back to streaming and gaming, and have not tested further.

I've made this recommendation to a few folk and have not read one response yet saying it did not resolve their issues, but I don't follow-up or check back to confirm, so cannot be certain for others.
CSR is my day job, up to AMD to figure it out and provide a permanent solution. :)

It took me months of troubleshooting (w/o relying on internet, which I view as a positive now) and Windows 10 re-installs to happen upon this solution, but it was not ideal since I purchased a new PSU and later new GPU as part of troubleshooting.
The issue pushed me to finally setup my second computer for streaming, and it's been happy days since with no issues that I would say are caused by drivers.

Monitors:
DP, 244Hz
DP or HDMI, 75 Hz
HDMI, 60Hz

PSUs:
1000W (older unit)
850W (brand new unit)

X370 with 1800X, qualified RAM and where applicable, stock settings throughout the entire system.

What's funny to me is that I experienced the black screen issue on my Vega64 & Radeon VII, but eventually 'solved' it. Highest bid gets the solution*!!
*Solution may only be applicable to my system. Positive resolution for other systems not guaranteed. All transactions final. (don't read further, solution below and I want my money first!)

However, my high refresh rate monitor flickers from time to time and I have not bothered working to a resolution on that as it only appears to happen outside of games. So, 2D issues but no apparent 3D issues though if performance is impacted, that's not an obvious spot.

For me, the black screen issue was tied to ReLive and/or my multi-monitor setup.

With ReLive disabled and one monitor in use, the issue never presented itself.
With a second monitor enabled I would sometimes experience similar issues, but since I stumbled across this months back I was just happy to get back to streaming and gaming, and have not tested further.

I've made this recommendation to a few folk and have not read one response yet saying it did not resolve their issues, but I don't follow-up or check back to confirm, so cannot be certain for others.
CSR is my day job, up to AMD to figure it out and provide a permanent solution. :)

It took me months of troubleshooting (w/o relying on internet, which I view as a positive now) and Windows 10 re-installs to happen upon this solution, but it was not ideal since I purchased a new PSU and later new GPU as part of troubleshooting.
The issue pushed me to finally setup my second computer for streaming, and it's been happy days since with no issues that I would say are caused by drivers.

Monitors:
DP, 244Hz
DP or HDMI, 75 Hz
HDMI, 60Hz

PSUs:
1000W (older unit)
850W (brand new unit)

X370 with 1800X, qualified RAM and where applicable, stock settings throughout the entire system.

I read this last week on Reddit and tried it. I've got a multi-monitor setup too.

So on the latest drivers you can't choose to not install Relive. That's gone. Picked up 19.9.2 from September-ish, DDU and installed without Relive. Same problem

Moore's law is dead guy saying that he's found the solution and it's to go back to 19.10.2. Not for me it isn't

I noticed I get the issue almost always while a Youtube video was playing, so I stopped watching Youtube. I can go maybe 4-5 days at most. Save early, save often

Nah, the Win10 version can be modded. It's just locked down more than the Java version (the Java version has been deobfuscated to the point that it might as well be open sourced). Gotta keep the pedos off the servers with kids after all.

But, yeah, the Win10 version will never be as 'moddable'. But it's not going away anytime soon either. Not when you have MS backing it with piles of cash and the various console versions out there offering cross-platform play with it. MS would probably like to see the Java version go away, but the commmunity and possibly Mojang will see that the Java version sticks around.
https://www.pcgamer.com/minecraft-java-edition-vs-windows-10/

The non-free nVidia drivers are working perfectly for me on Debian 10.
I've had trouble running Windows games through Wine on Nouveau drivers. I tried Fallout 3 and New Vegas which resulted in a stretched out screen.

That is part of the problem. Newer GPUs (amd and nv) are temperamental. I am not saying there are not some issues with AMDs current driver.... but they don't seem to effect everyone, and those that seem to be unaffected tend to be folks with over kill PSU units and over kill cooling. The PSU companies all recommend using 2 cables to cards with 8+8 or 8+6, the GPU manufacturers all vary in their recommended PSU, everywhere from 600 to 750 on 5700 XTs... the difference seems to stem from factory over clocks. Still it wouldn't surprise me if a few people have bought nice factory over clocked cards with power supplies that are probably less then they should really be running. Budget gamers tend to buy what is on sale... as an example I bougth a MSI evoke... great card, but I bought it cause it was $100 cheaper then every other 5700 XT. I have a good venting, and a nice higher end gold PSU... but I have no doubt a lot of people with crappier shit jumped at the same deal.

Seems like all this stuff is a bit of column A a little of column B to me... ya AMD needs to work on their driver it seems their latest revision has introduced some bugs, the situation seems to be made worse by a lot of seemingly temperamental less then 100% stable installs.

As I said before given AMDs "budget" market placement. It wouldn't shock me that a good number of people going AMD are also going with the budget PSUs, the Budget motherboard, the Budget Ram... probably even the budget case that runs 10 degrees hotter then the better well vented cases. NV right now sort of has the money isn't an object crowed... which I have to assume also translates to their cooling and power setups. So if you told me AMDs return rate is 4% and Nvidias is 1%... I would say ya sounds about right. One is being sold to budget builders one isn't.

I would agree if this discussion was about Polaris and not Navi. Navi isn't a budget card and most of the builds I see people posting who have one are enthusiasts with midrange to high end builds.

I would agree if this discussion was about Polaris and not Navi. Navi isn't a budget card and most of the builds I see people posting who have one are enthusiasts with midrange to high end builds.
Budget to me is $100-$150, where mainstream is $200-$250. Anything above $300 is enthusiast level. Navi would fall under enthusiast high end GPU's. While I do believe in getting a nice PSU, a case can be as cheap as possible because it really doesn't make a difference beyond RGB lighting.

Budget to me is $100-$150, where mainstream is $200-$250. Anything above $300 is enthusiast level. Navi would fall under enthusiast high end GPU's. While I do believe in getting a nice PSU, a case can be as cheap as possible because it really doesn't make a difference beyond RGB lighting.

Market segments are defined by the manufactures, not the end user.

Edit: Cases make a lot more difference than you believe.

Market segments are defined by the manufactures, not the end user.

Edit: Cases make a lot more difference than you believe.
Ultimately it is defined by the consumer. According to Steams Hardware Survey nearly 14.5% of gamers use a GTX 1060 which is a $250~ GPU. Nearly 10% use a 1050 Ti, 5.5% use a 1050 which are both sub $200 GPU's. The GTX 1070 and 1080 have risen to nearly 5% and 3%, probably due to the used market. I can find a GTX 1070 on Ebay for $200, while a GTX 1080 can be found for nearly $300. Despite the price cut of the RTX 2060, it fell to 2%. The GTX 1660 Ti as well as the RTX 2070 are both bellow 2%. 5700 XT is almost 0.5% while the 5600 XT and 5700 are nowhere to be found, which is odd.

AMD and Nvidia can try to define market segments but the price of failing is lower sales, at least compared to 2016. I'm not sure how many graphic cards AMD and Nvidia are selling but I can't imagine the volume being as good as 2016. Profits maybe higher but that could be due to many factors.

Ultimately it is defined by the consumer. According to Steams Hardware Survey nearly 14.5% of gamers use a GTX 1060 which is a $250~ GPU. Nearly 10% use a 1050 Ti, 5.5% use a 1050 which are both sub $200 GPU's. The GTX 1070 and 1080 have risen to nearly 5% and 3%, probably due to the used market. I can find a GTX 1070 on Ebay for $200, while a GTX 1080 can be found for nearly $300. Despite the price cut of the RTX 2060, it fell to 2%. The GTX 1660 Ti as well as the RTX 2070 are both bellow 2%. 5700 XT is almost 0.5% while the 5600 XT and 5700 are nowhere to be found, which is odd.

AMD and Nvidia can try to define market segments but the price of failing is lower sales, at least compared to 2016. I'm not sure how many graphic cards AMD and Nvidia are selling but I can't imagine the volume being as good as 2016. Profits maybe higher but that could be due to many factors.

In general, your segment naming makes more sense than how the industry defines things, but it is what it is. Just like the 3950x is a "mainstream" CPU because of it's platform, a $100-$150 card would be "entry level". Enthusiast class cards are classified as something like the 1080 ti or 2080 ti, the top level, consumer-grade, cards from their generation. Market segmentation naming has little to do with what customers buy, however.

I wonder if the 5600 XT is simply too new to show up in the survey, or had too few users in the last batch to surveys to register. The lack of the 5700 non-XT is weird though.

I've had trouble running Windows games through Wine on Nouveau drivers. I tried Fallout 3 and New Vegas which resulted in a stretched out screen.

Right, which is why I use nVidia's closed-source driver; the DXVK layer doesn't work correctly with Nouveau.

I wonder if the 5600 XT is simply too new to show up in the survey, or had too few users in the last batch to surveys to register. The lack of the 5700 non-XT is weird though.
If you look at Steams Hardware Survey you don't see many AMD cards having a large presence. The 5600 XT is too new but it'll be months before it shows up on the survey. Despite the MSRP of the 5700 being $350, you can actually find some 5700 XT's for $360, which I can see why regular 5700's don't show up on the survey. AMD has always had a pricing issue with their GPU's. Right now a RTX 2060 can be bought for $300 while the 5600 XT is $280. It's a no brainier that you go for the RTX 2060. I don't think AMD even cares to compete and gain market share.

Right, which is why I use nVidia's closed-source driver; the DXVK layer doesn't work correctly with Nouveau.
I wasn't aware that Nouveau has Vulkan support. The Nvidia closed source drivers I have to install are the 304 & 340 drivers, which gives you an idea how old my Nvidia GPU's are. You can install them on Ubuntu but there are problems. For one the emulator PCSX2 won't run, at all. It will work just fine with Nouveau but not Nvidia's drivers. The second is loading time. I've ran Portal 2 on both drivers and the Nouveau drivers load much faster. Practically instant, while the Nvidia drivers take their time. There are some other quirks but it's always a trade off.

I find it interesting that it seems no one here seems to have definitive answers considering the calibre of some (many?) that frequent this website.

I mean, often the replies regarding temps and product stability are nebulous or the opinions greatly vary which sometimes makes me wonder who actually is in the know

Reactions: erek
like this
Guess I am the only one with a Rx 5600xt. The new drivers have taken care of the black screens I was having at 1440 with enhanced syn on and there is no more screen tearing

I think this driver turns off enhanced sync. Is it still on for you?

I think this driver turns off enhanced sync. Is it still on for you?

"Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround,"

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-r...dition-20-2-2-drivers.1993545/post-1044510763

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-gets-around-to-fixing-some-radeon-rx-5000-series-black-screen-issues/

There are two dozen bug fixes in all. The ones related to black screen bugs include the following:
  • Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.
  • When Instant Replay is enabled, a TDR or black screen may occur when launching games or applications.
  • A black screen may occur when toggling HDR on in the game settings of Battlefield V.
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt may experience an application hang or black screen during certain parts of the game or intermittently during gameplay.
  • Some video content in Chrome may appear as a black screen or be unresponsive on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products when hardware acceleration is enabled.
While AMD acknowledges that more work is needed, it also pointed to one specific scenario where a black screen issue exists, and is not fixed by the this driver release.

"Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround," AMD says

"Gamers are ditching Radeon graphics cards over driver issues"

them's fightin' words!

Reminds me of the early days of the Rage cards, Ragin over their shitty drivers. It wasn't till the R200 that things finally started settling down. I dumped nV for the R8500 and didn't come back till the 6800GT.
Wow that takes me back, I also had the Rage card, the AIW or their “media” capable card. I loved it ... at first. First driver update ruined it, had to wipe PC and restart fresh and told myself to NEVER update that sumbitch ever again.

I did go back to AMD but their driver support team has always been up and down over the years. The OEMs support their cards better than AMD does.

Wow that takes me back, I also had the Rage card, the AIW or their “media” capable card. I loved it ... at first. First driver update ruined it, had to wipe PC and restart fresh and told myself to NEVER update that sumbitch ever again.

In that era, keeping up with drivers and hardware and whatnot had us wiping almost monthly. I can still remember most of our Win98 key... and kept the install folder on a separate partition or drive.

Guess I am the only one with a Rx 5600xt. The new drivers have taken care of the black screens I was having at 1440 with enhanced syn on and there is no more screen tearing

If you have a freesync monitor I would enable that and disable enhanced sync. If you want the same effect use radeon chill instead. You can use it to limit frame rates above your refresh rate. So flip Freesync on and then use radeon chill to limit frame rates above your refresh... so 75 or 120 ect.

Even if you don't have a freesync monitor. Just turn regular vsync on and use radeon chill the same way.

I had black screen issues in 2D, most noticeably with youtube. I disabled hardware acceleration in firefox and the issues went away.

I had black screen issues in 2D, most noticeably with youtube. I disabled hardware acceleration in firefox and the issues went away.

Yeah, I still think something is up with Firefox and YouTube/twitch. Edge chromium works great.

These new drivers are fantastic. I wasn't playing anything that was giving me issues... although I do own a few games that people where complaining about. Might go back and replay witcher III ect at some point.

Just had to post though and say my card is running 10 degrees cooler... and the fan sits at 1000 rpm now in most of the lesser demanding games I was running. Fired up ACO to run the benchmark 5 or 6 times to see if it would heat up... and of course it did but it was still cooler and the fan never pushed 2200. It was getting up to 2700 rpm before and really did sound like a jet engine. Also noticed the fan ramping is a lot smoother. No more does it go 1000-2200 rpm in half a second.

I know not every month will bring this much improvement in one update. Good thing with all the complaining, it seems to have kicked AMD in the ass. Lets hope they continue improving their driver at this pace. I know they probably won't but if they can manage a quarter as much improvement each update there going to win a lot of people over.

I'm amazed at the praise AMD is getting for fixing their broken drivers.

They did a lot more then just fix them.... and ya fixing that many issues in one cycle is nice. NV has their own list of broken games... some of them the same games AMD has been having issues with. Black screens in witcher where not exclusive to AMD. Rarely do they officially fix 20+ and unofficially double or triple that in one driver update. They also fixed fan ramping issues with some of the 5700s, fixing that without a bios update is nice.

If you have a freesync monitor I would enable that and disable enhanced sync. If you want the same effect use radeon chill instead. You can use it to limit frame rates above your refresh rate. So flip Freesync on and then use radeon chill to limit frame rates above your refresh... so 75 or 120 ect.

Even if you don't have a freesync monitor. Just turn regular vsync on and use radeon chill the same way.

will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

These new drivers are fantastic. I wasn't playing anything that was giving me issues... although I do own a few games that people where complaining about. Might go back and replay witcher III ect at some point.

Just had to post though and say my card is running 10 degrees cooler... and the fan sits at 1000 rpm now in most of the lesser demanding games I was running. Fired up ACO to run the benchmark 5 or 6 times to see if it would heat up... and of course it did but it was still cooler and the fan never pushed 2200. It was getting up to 2700 rpm before and really did sound like a jet engine. Also noticed the fan ramping is a lot smoother. No more does it go 1000-2200 rpm in half a second.

I know not every month will bring this much improvement in one update. Good thing with all the complaining, it seems to have kicked AMD in the ass. Lets hope they continue improving their driver at this pace. I know they probably won't but if they can manage a quarter as much improvement each update there going to win a lot of people over.

See, complaining works. If the die hard AMD shills/fanboys had their way and silenced all criticism, you would likely still have broken drivers. I'm glad 5700 owners can finally enjoy their cards 6 months after release. If anything, this reaffirmed my intent on only ever buying nVidia cards. Not because nVidia is perfect but rather they are nimble and address issues relatively quickly. For example, Turing recently had an issue in Apex Legends season 4 with DXGI device hung crashes. NVIDIA worked with respawn and got a driver out that fixed it. Another reason is the nVidia community as a whole isn't afraid to criticize nVidia when its warranted and you don't get shills/fanboys trying to silence you like AMD fans do.

We don't worship at the alter of Jensen unlike AMD fans who pray every night to Lisa.

Last edited:
And you say only AMD fans are shills? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Look in the mirror bruh :p

Yeah I have and I don't have any biases, I buy what's best and has a solid track record. AMD has a shit record w/GPUs. Big Navi was on my radar until I learned of the shoddy Navi drivers and wrote it off. Check my post history, there's no shortage of me trashing NVIDIA, except the difference is I didn't have NVIDIA fans jumping down my throat. Same thing on r/nvidia, you can criticize them for failings and you won't automatically get a shill brigade trying to silence you like they do on r/amd.

See, complaining works. If the die hard AMD shills/fanboys had their way and silenced all criticism, you would likely still have broken drivers. I'm glad 5700 owners can finally enjoy their cards 6 months after release. If anything, this reaffirmed my intent on only ever buying nVidia cards. Not because nVidia is perfect but rather they are nimble and address issues relatively quickly. For example, Turing recently had an issue in Apex Legends season 4 with DXGI device hung crashes. NVIDIA worked with respawn and got a driver out that fixed it. Another reason is the nVidia community as a whole isn't afraid to criticize nVidia when its warranted and you don't get shills/fanboys trying to silence you like AMD fans do.

We don't worship at the alter of Jensen unlike AMD fans who pray every night to Lisa.
people saying that they havent experienced the problem and then defending that experience isnt shilling. the major problems did crop up until the 2020 driver, afaik. nobody was trying to "silence" anyone but there was a tonne of "shilling" accusations being flung over personal experiences. and last, real mature.

people saying that they havent experienced the problem and then defending that experience isnt shilling. the major problems did crop up until the 2020 driver, afaik. nobody was trying to "silence" anyone but there was a tonne of "shilling" accusations being flung over personal experiences. and last, real mature.

Please, you had people here and on reddit trying to blame the user, power supply, the full moon whatever rather than admit it was AMD's faulty drivers despite AMD themselves acknowledging it.

This isn't what happened. A lot of the shills were gaslighters trying to discredit valid complaints to defend their brand tribe. "Welp I don't have a problem lol its only you" -- these people are not trustworthy. Once the valid complaints became overwhelming enough and AMD finally copped to it, then these fuckers had to move goalposts. Mature indeed.

Yeah I have and I don't have any biases, I buy what's best and has a solid track record. AMD has a shit record w/GPUs. Big Navi was on my radar until I learned of the shoddy Navi drivers and wrote it off. Check my post history, there's no shortage of me trashing NVIDIA, except the difference is I didn't have NVIDIA fans jumping down my throat. Same thing on r/nvidia, you can criticize them for failings and you won't automatically get a shill brigade trying to silence you like they do on r/amd.
Please, you had people here and on reddit trying to blame the user, power supply, the full moon whatever rather than admit it was AMD's faulty drivers despite AMD themselves acknowledging it.

306b6ae7500fda55474ad14589bf3b37b1f02401ef7e7075bd.jpg

irrelevant

Just tired of sifting through the same posts over and over

Nvidia never does this nvidia always has perfect everything that's why I'm so smart and I buy Nvidia

Cause really that's all this thread is, clickbait article that garnered 200+ of these replies.

Imagine sharing ideas for potential fixes, relevant experiences, feedback and so on, stuff that can actually help and make a difference. I know it's fucked up

Meanwhile, I constantly get Nvidia Control Panel error popups telling me it's not installed/available because their driver package didn't install it properly lol

So, neither of these GPU makers are perfect and people need to get off their high horses.

And I own GPUs from both companies as I do DC work because of their different nature of doing things better than the other on projects.

Meanwhile, I constantly get Nvidia Control Panel error popups telling me it's not installed/available because their driver package didn't install it properly lol

So, neither of these GPU makers are perfect and people need to get off their high horses.

And I own GPUs from both companies as I do DC work because of their different nature of doing things better than the other on projects.
Use ddu following the directions and then reinstall the drivers with the clean install option.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back