Gamergate Movie In Development, May Star Scarlett Johansson

Hollywood, quick tip: If your stupid movies about Steve Jobs aren't turning a profit, an evangelical Gamergate one sure as hell isn't going to either.
Actually I take that back. If this movie shows all the sex scenes that led up to Gamergate, it might have a chance in the theaters.

Zarathustra[H];1041957134 said:
The truth of Gamergate is as follows:

1.) Outrage triggered with discovery of widespread culture of positive reviews in return for sexual favors / money / job offers / etc, sparked by the now infamous email by Quinn's ex.

2.) Starts to turn ugly due to majority of those complaining being adolescent socially awkward geeks not yet knowing how to constructively channel their outrage over allegations impropriety, especially since the topic of sex was involved in it all.

3.) A vanishingly tiny minority of bad actors brings it over the line by doxxing and making threats online, and other criminal activity.

4.) Neo-feminist SJW's take over the issue and try to turn it into a broader war on male geeks, who ironically as a group are the most likely to support feminist ideals (in studies, more so even than college educated women)

The whole development of this controversy is so double-face-palm worthy there just isn't an appropriate meme to go with it.

"Truth" should at least be accurate, don't you think?

The jealous ex releasing the email came FIRST. Then, by releasing the email to some fellows in IRC (and thanks to 4chan), they try to smear Quin and when that doesn't work they purposefully move the goalposts to "game journalism".

It may have shifted to "game journalism" when they realized they had nothing by releasing a jealous ex email, but it started as an angry male mob wanting to get back at a woman.

The rest of the points also misreport the ordering of the events. You can easily google search a whole timeline with timestamps and all. But the actual order doesn't support "it's was (always) about games journalism", so people tend to forget.

Truth? They can't handle the truth - that they're scared of a bunch of girls. GG's enemy is their enemy because, according to their world-view, their enemy is weak, stupid, emotional and worthless - but if that is what their enemy is, then why would they express so much fear, hatred and loathing towards them, and how could their enemy possibly have any impact on their society?

You can even see Liger88 simultaneously describing and displaying his cognitive dissonance without understanding what it is earlier in the thread:
Liger88 said:
My mind is still blown that some how Feminist's managed to take GamerGate, which was about something serious, and turn it into some bullshit sexism in video games. I don't know how they managed to do it.

Actually I take that back. If this movie shows all the sex scenes that led up to Gamergate, it might have a chance in the theaters.

Don't get your hopes up. This movie is meant to portray Quin as an innocent victim, not the whore. They will never highlight the part where she traded sexual favors for positive review. I'd be surprise if they even include any part that cast a negative light on the review industry.

The jealous ex releasing the email came FIRST. Then, by releasing the email to some fellows in IRC (and thanks to 4chan), they try to smear Quin and when that doesn't work they purposefully move the goalposts to "game journalism".

It may have shifted to "game journalism" when they realized they had nothing by releasing a jealous ex email, but it started as an angry male mob wanting to get back at a woman.

The rest of the points also misreport the ordering of the events. You can easily google search a whole timeline with timestamps and all. But the actual order doesn't support "it's was (always) about games journalism", so people tend to forget.

You're dead wrong. Go read the outing letter you reference. It talks about sexual favors in exchange for reviews.

"Angry male mob wanting to get back at a woman."

You're a disaster. LMAO

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't even know what "Gamergate" is and could't care less to find out

Corruption in video game journalism. That's where it got the #GamerGate meme from. Personally I'm sick and tired of anyone using the stupid "Gate" catch phrase.

Biased gaming reviews aren't something new, we've mostly suspected it for the past decade. All this did was verify it not only existed and was going to the extremes, but it was done intentionally. The topic became, "how far does it go" kinda thing and then quickly got spun off course and that's when I stopped paying attention. It just got absolutely stupid and now few actually remember it had nothing to do with what you're seeing now.

This movie is meant to portray Quin as an innocent victim, not the whore. They will never highlight the part where she traded sexual favors for positive review.

The movie will certainly highlight the fact that the game was never reviewed by... what was his name? Do you even know his name, or will you have to look it up before you reply?

Yea, it wasn't reviewed. It was positivedly mentioned in an article by Nathan Grayson. A day before they "started" the relationship, so you know, obviously, nothing wrong there, it was a whole day before. That's a REALLY REALLY long time, you know?

FYI, didn't have to look it up, but I did have to pause to think for a sec. Because people won't shut up about the quiinn girl. Not that they can, considering she went to the fucking UN recently.

One would think Internet trolls would recognize attention whores when they see them.

But these kids keep showering attention on Quinn and Sarkessian with no end in sight. They've succeeded in sending these people to the UN, enabled them to book interviews on Colbert and ABC news and now there's a movie coming out. What a spectacular own goal by the Gamergaters.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't even know what "Gamergate" is and could't care less to find out
It's a culture war between slovenly basement dwellers and shrieking feminists. Their battleground? Twitter and gaming blogs.

Stay far, far away my friend.

Hollywood has been fighting strawmen for decades now, to prove themselves morally superior when rational argument fails.

This is nothing new.

Yea, it wasn't reviewed. It was positivedly mentioned in an article by Nathan Grayson. A day before they "started" the relationship, so you know, obviously, nothing wrong there, it was a whole day before. That's a REALLY REALLY long time, you know?

Every day, approximately 43 billion new indie games spring into existence from mysterious ethers far outside the realm of human comprehension. We approach these portals into The Beyond with great apprehension, then we scuttle away with our bounty, arms and hearts full of excitement and terror. We call this process “game development,” and it will probably bring about the end of the world. Until then, though, someone needs to curate these things, so Valve blasts new finds with its organizational death laser, Steam Greenlight. Yep, that’s exactly how it all works and this is not just me filling space because I’ve written far too many Greenlight posts at all. Anyway, standouts: powerful Twine darling Depression Quest, surrealist Thief usurper Tangiers, and sidescrolling epic Treasure Adventure World.
-- http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/08/admission-quest-valve-greenlights-50-more-games/

OHFUCKINGNOHEDIDNT! :rolleyes:

btw, that's not simply a quote, that's the entire article you guys lost your shit over LMFAO

btw, that's not simply a quote, that's the entire article you guys lost your shit over LMFAO

Like I said before, I lost my shit over when they decided to stop discussion. And yea, like I said, a positive endorsement.

One would think Internet trolls would recognize attention whores when they see them.

But these kids keep showering attention on Quinn and Sarkessian with no end in sight. They've succeeded in sending these people to the UN, enabled them to book interviews on Colbert and ABC news and now there's a movie coming out. What a spectacular own goal by the Gamergaters. It's a culture war between slovenly basement dwellers and shrieking feminists. Their battleground? Twitter and gaming blogs.

Stay far, far away my friend.
I actually agree... but I don't think I've personally ever brought them up, without them already being mentioned. Can't say the same for others though. Still, at this stage, ignore or not, they already got the attention they needed.

Also..... just because it's small, doesn't mean it's excusable. I still think the Gamespot thing was a bigger deal though.

Gamer Gate is about truth in journalism.

Lol jk is about misogynistic neckbeards taking out their sexual frustration and inadequacy on innocent women.

Zoe Quinn is not a game designer. She made a point-and-click web page and called it a game. But it isn't.

There is no reason to be had from either side of the "debate"at this point. Not that their is a debate. It is just feminists and their SJW lap dogs screaming "neck beard misogynist", and the other side screaming about "integrity in game journalism", not that such a thing really ever existed imho. I am not sure I can even call it an argument, let alone a debate, when the two sides are not even arguing about the same thing. Oh jeez, never mind, I give up.

Kind of hard to debate when one side completely ignores another side, no?

I mean, GG has, from what I'm told, tried to squash out threats/doxxing. People that support GG includes many that the SJWs said they defend.

Can't say I played her "game" but I doubt it's any worse than those walking simulator types, in terms of being a game.

Nah. Nobody gives a damn about Gamergate except irritating Twitter feminists and obese 4chan virgins. It's just a shitshow on the Internet.

No one cares.

They won't care that it started over games, as far as media has always seen this entire thing is it's internet bullying and harassment. I'm willing to bet the entire thing will be a modern version of "The Net" except she's tracking down who is harassing her everywhere she goes. There's not enough story for this to be a documentary but there is enough to make it a thriller, but no doubt the internet will take it as the truth.

See perspective matters. From the perspective of some people, this was some kind of character assassination dust up between horrible people at 4chan and some some horrible people affiliated with something awful. TO most of the world, that portion of the conversation never existed. It didn't exist until the portion about dishonesty in games journalism became the focus. It's kind of like claiming that everyone who fought and died in WWI had really big and deep opinions on the life and death of arch duke ferdinand.

I'd rather get stuck in an elevator with a vegan, crossfit, neo-nazi, 911 truther than listen to someone talk about #GG...

Well... thats true.... but that just mean they put more effort into it.

Zarathustra[H];1041957134 said:
The truth of Gamergate is as follows:

The whole development of this controversy is so double-face-palm worthy there just isn't an appropriate meme to go with it.

The whole thing should be rename Clusterfuck Gate.

Honestly, what sort of ridiculous portrayal are they going to make out of this movie? They might as well just show a vagina for an hour thirty that weeps the entire time. That's what this is all about.

Honestly, what sort of ridiculous portrayal are they going to make out of this movie? They might as well just show a vagina for an hour thirty that weeps the entire time. That's what this is all about.

Thanks. I just had a flashback to when my gf made me watch "The Vagina Monologues". Blech.

The promo poster:

UN-e1443714120772.png

That's my fetish...

See perspective matters. From the perspective of some people, this was some kind of character assassination dust up between horrible people at 4chan and some some horrible people affiliated with something awful. TO most of the world, that portion of the conversation never existed. It didn't exist until the portion about dishonesty in games journalism became the focus. It's kind of like claiming that everyone who fought and died in WWI had really big and deep opinions on the life and death of arch duke ferdinand.

Perspective implies an opinion of how things happened.

These tings that happened have logged evidence and can be sorted chronologically.

Your analogy is flawed because you can not confirm the silliness about the duke. It's a nice strawman, but you're right, historians would look for the underlying causes of WWI, and no one has thought it was the Duke for over 3 decades now.

Back