Gamer Thwarts Gunman's Attempt To Steal CoD: MW 3

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let this be a lesson to all would-be crooks out there, trying to steal a gamer's pre-ordered copy of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 at gun point isn't going to end well. Thanks to Mike Smith for the link!

Freeman stepped out of his car when a young man wearing a hood approached and “racked a round” in his gun. “Give me the game!” the gunman ordered. “(Expletive) you!” Freeman replied. The gunman racked another round, causing the first round to eject and fall on the ground. Freeman grabbed the gun’s barrel and pushed it back toward the gunman. The pair struggled briefly before the gunman climbed back into his vehicle and sped away.

Last edited:
ROFL, I posted this in WLWC too, it's a pretty damn funny story.

You're willing to die, for a game that's nothing more than an annual rehash :p

Now that is funny.
"What are you in for?"
"Armed robbery."
"What did you steal?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing?!"
"I was trying to steal a copy of MW3."
"What?! Alright, you are my bit..."

stupid thief , and stupid person to grab a gun over a game could have ended badly.

"The gunman racked another round, causing the first round to eject and fall on the ground."

Somebody's been watching too much TV. It's so stupid to do that.

how was this story verified? aren't we taking this gamer's word for it this is how it went down?

how was this story verified? aren't we taking this gamer's word for it this is how it went down?

Sounds quite embellished, doesn't it? lol

You almost expect him to tell you there was a healer standing by just in case things don't go well. Dumbass should've let a tank go first.

I love that the robber had no actual idea how his weapon operated. The victim shoulda kept refusing, eventually the robber would have unloaded his weapon onto the ground!

Once the robber cocked his gun twice making the one in the chamber expel, you should know he isn't a killer. The only reason why you would "cock that hammer" is to shoot something. He was no shooter, and the gamer saw the pussy in his assailant's eyes and made a decision.

Here in Philly, the dude would've already been shot, and maybe later ask him what game it was.

The gunman racked another round, causing the first round to eject and fall on the ground.

This tickles me... What exactly was this guy doing? Trying to be more intimidating by making gun klackity noises? It sounds like he had no idea what he was doing. I guess he found out abruptly that swinging guns around like in the movies isn't actually effective in real life.

"The gunman racked another round, causing the first round to eject and fall on the ground."

yes its stupid but, and i would never suggest doing this especially for a $60 video game, someone that is pointing a gun at you within arms reach even with his finger on the trigger can not discharge that weapon in the time it would take you to grab the barrel and step out of the way.

This tickles me... What exactly was this guy doing? Trying to be more intimidating by making gun klackity noises? It sounds like he had no idea what he was doing. I guess he found out abruptly that swinging guns around like in the movies isn't actually effective in real life.

It's what you get from Hollywood. People have been taught from movies that the sound of a gun's action being cycled is intimidating. It is what you do when you want to threaten someone. They don't think it much through past that.

Many people think guns are magic "Get people to do what I want," wands. Now in some cases I'm sure that is true, but if someone calls your bluff you'd better be ready to kill them since that is really what guns do.

Once the robber cocked his gun twice making the one in the chamber expel, you should know he isn't a killer. The only reason why you would "cock that hammer" is to shoot something. He was no shooter, and the gamer saw the pussy in his assailant's eyes and made a decision.

The wrong decision. Some incompetent teenager unwilling to shoot someone over a game is going to be more willing to shoot if they are attacked. Or, the gun could go off accidentally in the struggle regardless of anyones willingness to shoot.

The only correct action is to hand over the game and call the cops. Any other action in this situation reduces your odds of survival significantly. Not to mention some $60 game isn't worth your life. Hell, it's not even worth minor injury.

This story could very easily have read "Idiot gets himself killed over a copy of MW3."

Eh.. I believe I would have just given the idiot the game. That or pulled out my own concealed gun and shot him dead before he accidentally kills someone. Obviously the guy didn't know his way around a gun very well.

However, I do like stories where people stand up for themselves and win. Congrats to the guy for being alive to tell the story.

The wrong decision. Some incompetent teenager unwilling to shoot someone over a game is going to be more willing to shoot if they are attacked. Or, the gun could go off accidentally in the struggle regardless of anyones willingness to shoot.

The only correct action is to hand over the game and call the cops. Any other action in this situation reduces your odds of survival significantly. Not to mention some $60 game isn't worth your life. Hell, it's not even worth minor injury.

This story could very easily have read "Idiot gets himself killed over a copy of MW3."

While there are times that people need to do what a criminal says, but to say that everyone should just blindly do what a slimebag says because he has a gun is wrong and the fact that so many think that way is what leads idiots like this criminal to think they can get away with acts like this.

This was my favorite part:

"Morales told detectives he “freaked out” because he didn’t expect the victim to fight.

Freeman said he didn’t really plan on fighting either. His instincts just kicked in, he said."

That is the mentality of most criminals, they are cowards who back down at the slightest hint of resistance. They only succeed because they count on their victims being submissive.

For those who are saying it was stupid for Mr. Freeman to risk his life over a game, you are being foolish and naive. At the point the gun was loaded and pointed at him, his life was at risk, the game didn't matter. You assume that had he handed it over everything would have been fine, but he still would have been at the mercy of his attacker.

I can guarantee you that at the moment Mr. Freeman found himself staring down the barrel of a gun, MW3 was the furthest thing from his mind.

Rather than asking why would he risk his life over a game, we should be asking why would someone be so callous as to threaten someone's life over a game? Mr. Freeman did himself and his community a favor by defending himself, and taking action that led to the capture of a violent thug, who apparently valued a few minutes of his time and $60 more than a human life.

I can only hope that I'd have the same clarity of mind and swiftness of action to act as boldly as Mr. Freeman did if I'm ever confronted with a similar situation.

While there are times that people need to do what a criminal says, but to say that everyone should just blindly do what a slimebag says because he has a gun is wrong and the fact that so many think that way is what leads idiots like this criminal to think they can get away with acts like this.

Get off this forum and stay off it or your dog gets it.

I mean it!

Don't try and call my bluff!

I never said everyone should do what someone says because they have a gun. Just that a $60 game probably isn't the time when you should be trying something "heroic." If there are lives at stake besides your own, then you have a bigger decision to make. But even then, accidental discharge could kill a bystander anyway.

Throwing your life away over a $60 game isn't going to reduce crime, and it certainly isn't going to do your family any favors.

So the guy risked being shot for what amounts too a $65 map pack? Sounds like an idiot to me. He gives the name freeman a bad name. Hand him the game and when he turns around whack him in the head with your crowbar. Seriously though. Someone tries to take something from you with a gun too your face just give it too them and call the cops afterward. Not many things are worth your life.

So the guy risked being shot for what amounts too a $65 map pack? Sounds like an idiot to me. He gives the name freeman a bad name. Hand him the game and when he turns around whack him in the head with your crowbar. Seriously though. Someone tries to take something from you with a gun too your face just give it too them and call the cops afterward. Not many things are worth your life.

Why do people keep saying "this guy risked his life for..." Freeman didn't risk anything. The fuckhead with the gun risked Freeman's life. You are all assuming that the person would have just taken the game, signed a bill of sale, and they both would have just driven off into the sunset. A not-unheard-of result could have been the thief taking the game, then realizing that Freeman has a description of him, a description of his vehicle, and possibly his licence plate number, and shooting Freeman to prevent being arrested.

Why do people keep saying "this guy risked his life for..." Freeman didn't risk anything. The fuckhead with the gun risked Freeman's life. You are all assuming that the person would have just taken the game, signed a bill of sale, and they both would have just driven off into the sunset. A not-unheard-of result could have been the thief taking the game, then realizing that Freeman has a description of him, a description of his vehicle, and possibly his licence plate number, and shooting Freeman to prevent being arrested.

Most of the time that's exactly how armed robbery goes down. The stuff gets handed over, they leave. Virtually every time there is a death it's because the victim decided to pick a fight or refused to hand over whatever the robber wanted.

The scenario where you grab for the guys gun, it goes off, and you die is very common. Yes, there are all kinds of potential scenarios, but this guy did something that put the odds STRONGLY against his surviving. He got unbelievably lucky, that's all.

I'm disturbed by the number of people who think this was the smart move.

Not to mention that there are probably his finger prints all over the bullet. Also the guy who grabbed the gun was a colossal jack ass. He is lucky the man wasn't actually willing to shoot him for it.

He wasn't being heroic because he had a game in his hand, he was reacting to someone threatening to kill him.

Plenty of times people who comply still get shot or killed. Had they stopped them, they may not of been killed. I used to know a link to a video where these guys robbed a convenience store, got the money from the register then just shot the employee and the 3 people who were shopping that were now lying face down on the floor. Cannot find that video but here are other articles and videos:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=25a_1227876490 Shot while complying and faced down

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ee0_1196278462 No resistance, complied, shot and killed

http://www.woai.com/news/local/stor...utside-restaurant/-Bv_wckAv06aUJdqo0mlKQ.cspx Handed over his wallet as instructed, shot

http://www.volunteertv.com/news/headlines/79826597.html forced to the ground, then shot

there are others, but those are the first few I quickly dug up.

I never said everyone should do what someone says because they have a gun. Just that a $60 game probably isn't the time when you should be trying something "heroic." If there are lives at stake besides your own, then you have a bigger decision to make. But even then, accidental discharge could kill a bystander anyway.

Throwing your life away over a $60 game isn't going to reduce crime, and it certainly isn't going to do your family any favors.

fight or flight will always kick in when someone points a gun in your face regardless he fought and luckily he won thats pretty much all there is to say.

I can't believe that:

A) Someone would threaten someone else's life over a video game

B) Someone would fight someone with a gun over a video game

Unbelievable.

Wow freeman is a fucking idiot. Why get killed over a damn $59.99 vidoegame. It sucks he was mugged and I feel for him but imagine being killed over a stupid game with a 6+ year old graphics engine.

To everyone else out there, even if they are trying to mug you for your copy of bf3 limited edition or your 6990, give it to them as it's not worth dying for.

I'm glad the mugger got caught as although I'm annoyed at freeman I think the mugger should rot in jail. He's the biggest piece of crap that ever lived.

On a lighter side it would have been funny as hell if "Freeman" beat the mugger with a crowbar LOL :p

Most of the time that's exactly how armed robbery goes down. The stuff gets handed over, they leave. Virtually every time there is a death it's because the victim decided to pick a fight or refused to hand over whatever the robber wanted.

The scenario where you grab for the guys gun, it goes off, and you die is very common. Yes, there are all kinds of potential scenarios, but this guy did something that put the odds STRONGLY against his surviving. He got unbelievably lucky, that's all.

I'm disturbed by the number of people who think this was the smart move.

I'm disturbed by the number of people who think criminals should get whatever they want just because they ask nicely. If someone points a gun at you, you need to assume they are going to use it, not "maybe they'll let me go if I do what they say".

I'm not saying you have to fight the person every time, if you have the option of running that could be a better choice. In this case, the victim was close enough to the thief that he could grab the gun, and the thief made it obvious that he barely knew which end the bullet came out of.

It's what you get from Hollywood. People have been taught from movies that the sound of a gun's action being cycled is intimidating. It is what you do when you want to threaten someone. They don't think it much through past that.

Not really a Hollywood. Cycling a round was actually proper procedure for threat escalation in the Army (82nd Airborne) and was part of the Expert Infantry Badge testing.

...depending on what part of the world you're sent to, you might even get a certain number non-lethal rounds chambered before you even get a live one. Yay ROE!

Come on! With a name like Freeman the guy was lucky not to get beaten to death with a crowbar!

People saying Freeman is an idiot for risking his life over the game, although correct, apparently didn't read the end of the article.

Freeman said he didn’t really plan on fighting either. His instincts just kicked in, he said.

“I don’t remember thinking anything,” he told reporters at the prosecutors’ press conference this afternoon. “He was there and he presented a threat. It was self-defense, I guess.”

The real-life fight was “much more intense, much more scary,” than the action in the “Call of Duty” video game series, Freeman said.

And it’s not something he wants to go through again.

“If I had more time to think about it, I probably would have just given him the game,” he said. “It’s a wonderful game, but it’s not worth dying over.”

People saying Freeman is an idiot for risking his life over the game, although correct, apparently didn't read the end of the article.

True enough. When something that you perceive as life threatening happens there isn't a whole lot of thinking involved usually. You instinct is to run away or go ape shit trying to protect yourself. Either way I hope the douche bag that tried to rob him spends a long time in, pound you in the ass, prison.

Back