Gamer Sent To Prison For School Swattings

It's not about knowing "right and wrong" it's about making mistakes. You can understand these things...but still be an idiot and make mistakes. The idea that prison should bury someone is not the right way of doing things. It's about paying back on a mistake and growing from it.

His sentence allows him a chance to come back. These actions shouldn't ruin the rest of his life.

Swatting isn't a "oops, did I do that?" type of mistake. It is something that has the very real chance to get someone killed, it is flagrant stupidity.

Bad example, as the prefrontal cortex is vastly different in men vs women, and functions differently

For example if you were using "Brain size" at a metric, men are far more creative because their right prefrontal cortex in comparison to the left side is massive.

And don't think the "It stops growing" has anything to do with maturity, I've seen plenty of 25+ year old women constantly bombed out of their heads partying.

Take this as it is, this man was a prick, and he got caught doing so.

I've never heard in any of my neurology stuff that the function of the prefrontal cortex is any different between genders. The outcome of its presence and state of development is to act as a restraining mechanism for impulsive behavior and in men, it's slower to develop and remains less developed in general.

As for creativity, that's possibly true, but men are more imitative followers in their creativity (with rare exceptions here and there) who generally demonstrate slow evolving changes to existing things and very infrequently introduce something radically different.

I'm not gonna discount your personal experiences much, but the impulsive behavior thing is really a guy problem. Its shown in statistics for traffic citations and fatal car accidents pretty pointedly where we have a lot of data to support that in driving where the context of the situation is one that tends to open itself to negative impulses showing a high cost and well-documented consequences. It's why men tend to pay more in car insurance...they're a hugely higher risk of killing or hurting someone else and that risk does go down with age that follows brain development out of childhood.

I'm not saying this swatter guy isn't a total jerkface, but I'm just saying that there are a lot of reasons why a male his age should be treated differently than a female or an old guy who does the same thing. If he was older or a girl, he'd have planned it through and been less impulsive which demonstrates a more malicious intent behind the same act. In this case, he's basically a child having a tantrum or two. It doesn't justify it, but his mental maturity is something courts will consider along with a lot of other mitigating and extenuating circumstances during a trial.

22 years old and this asshat is swatting? Should have nailed him to the wall.

You get 5-10 in my state if you just walkup to a random car with a shot gun and give the guy a double tap and just walk off. Not premeditated and not a robbery.

A year in prison for wasting the officers time seems like an ok sentence by comparison. If it was "dangerous" thats because the officers are capping unarmed bystanders. And if its "they could have prevented a murder somewhere else while raiding" then the station is dangerously understaffed.

Seems murder 1 punishment is the min around here for any offence that is news worthy.

It's dangerous for the officers just as much as the victims. SWAT isn't known for announcing their entrance and knocking politely. There is a good chance a homeowner may think it's a home invasion and take action against the intruders. That's not a good situation for anyone.

Doing some research on the web this is the crime that most of the SWATters are charged with and convicted of (if they are charged under Federal law) ... perhaps the gap is that we need some new Federal laws aligned to the new crimes that are occurring ... it may also be possible that he agreed to testify or provide evidence against the other members of his gaming group that were also involved ... since they are all foreign nationals from the UK they might have needed his help to prevent UK authorities from letting the criminals there off

I've never heard in any of my neurology stuff that the function of the prefrontal cortex is any different between genders. The outcome of its presence and state of development is to act as a restraining mechanism for impulsive behavior and in men, it's slower to develop and remains less developed in general.

As for creativity, that's possibly true, but men are more imitative followers in their creativity (with rare exceptions here and there) who generally demonstrate slow evolving changes to existing things and very infrequently introduce something radically different.

I'm not gonna discount your personal experiences much, but the impulsive behavior thing is really a guy problem. Its shown in statistics for traffic citations and fatal car accidents pretty pointedly where we have a lot of data to support that in driving where the context of the situation is one that tends to open itself to negative impulses showing a high cost and well-documented consequences. It's why men tend to pay more in car insurance...they're a hugely higher risk of killing or hurting someone else and that risk does go down with age that follows brain development out of childhood.

I'm not saying this swatter guy isn't a total jerkface, but I'm just saying that there are a lot of reasons why a male his age should be treated differently than a female or an old guy who does the same thing. If he was older or a girl, he'd have planned it through and been less impulsive which demonstrates a more malicious intent behind the same act. In this case, he's basically a child having a tantrum or two. It doesn't justify it, but his mental maturity is something courts will consider along with a lot of other mitigating and extenuating circumstances during a trial.

The function of men and women's brains is vastly different though.

Men's brains function vastly faster for example, far more weight, but are less dense. They have faster speed in the thinking area of the brain.

This leads to fast reaction speeds, environment mapping of area's etc, but lends them to be very single tasked because while they can execute one thing incredibly fast, they can't juggle many tasks.

Women's brains are smaller, slower but more dense. This leads them to be able to process many contentious points of data.

That's why women excel greatly in "Memory" type games, because their brains are constantly storing all the data they are taking in the frontal cortex, rather than just processing what they have instantly on hand.

This leads to slower reaction speeds, less single tasking processing ability, but they can execute far more tasks at the same time.

Again, you're just looking at "Size" when there's more to just size, there's the general anatomy of the brains.

NO I am not saying men are smarter or vice versa, just men and women are by design better suited for certain tasks.

IE - 4 seater camero vs a 8 seater van.

Camero can go twice as fast, but is only delivering half the amount of ppl

In the end, the same amount of work is being done.

how about just a good old fashioned beating? I mean a good solid, honest to god, unadulterated ass whooping? break some bones, fracture an eye socket, rip a spleen...the medical cost will be less than the jail time + monitoring so just do the easier thing that doesnt also teach him how to be a better criminal (or a real criminal).

Ass Kicking. What America really needs.

The fact that he swatted schools seems lost in the conversation. Just as gun and drug laws apply more severely in school zones, so should laws covering violence or the threat of violence. Swatting to begin with is moronic, but consider the violent school tragedies our nation has suffered, and in that context think about the mental state of the kids and their parents when the bomb squad and news crews show up at their schools. He's lucky such actions weren't applied to domestic terrorism laws.

And I don't buy into this whole "22 is the new 12" argument. That is, unless you're using it to explain the eroding of society due to a de-evolution of the male prefrontal cortex. The fact is, this wasn't a case of impulse. He didn't come up on a mature yellow at a traffic light and decide to gun the engine. He researched it. He called in two separate threats 24-hours apart. He didn't wake up one morning, pick up the phone to the police, and then say, "Crap, what the hell did I just do???"

2-3 years for planning and multiple executions.

how about just a good old fashioned beating? I mean a good solid, honest to god, unadulterated ass whooping? break some bones, fracture an eye socket, rip a spleen...the medical cost will be less than the jail time + monitoring so just do the easier thing that doesnt also teach him how to be a better criminal (or a real criminal).

Ass Kicking. What America really needs.

Apparently no one expects the Spanish Inquisition, except maademperor :cool:

tumblr_nj8bb5TKYs1u2qrtko1_500.jpg

The fact that he swatted schools seems lost in the conversation. Just as gun and drug laws apply more severely in school zones, so should laws covering violence or the threat of violence. Swatting to begin with is moronic, but consider the violent school tragedies our nation has suffered, and in that context think about the mental state of the kids and their parents when the bomb squad and news crews show up at their schools. He's lucky such actions weren't applied to domestic terrorism laws.

And I don't buy into this whole "22 is the new 12" argument. That is, unless you're using it to explain the eroding of society due to a de-evolution of the male prefrontal cortex. The fact is, this wasn't a case of impulse. He didn't come up on a mature yellow at a traffic light and decide to gun the engine. He researched it. He called in two separate threats 24-hours apart. He didn't wake up one morning, pick up the phone to the police, and then say, "Crap, what the hell did I just do???"

2-3 years for planning and multiple executions.

This man just ended the thread.

I don't know why we have resident neurologists trying to justify the supposed lapse of judgement this guy had.

What this moron did took thought and planning but his dumbass didn't think it'll get back to him. I'm glad it did and I'll reiterate everyone's sentiments: he got off too lightly,

The problem with swatting is the asinine and ridiculous responses of the police. How about scouting out a situation before you go in guns blazing like a bunch of overdosed roid ragers.

Probably because of that one phrase "time is of the essence." When it's a REAL hostage taking/murder/etc. happening, you don't necessarily have time to have a cop swing by and look at the target house and make a determination if a report is fake or not. That would be my guess.

dunno...I would've been okay with a public "swift kick in the groin, repeatedly" instead of spending $ to house and feed him for a year.

dunno...I would've been okay with a public "swift kick in the groin, repeatedly" instead of spending $ to house and feed him for a year.

Not extreme enough. One of these days somebody is going to get shoot over something like this so lets start that now. Bullet to the head streamed live for anyone caught swatting.

How about making him run some damn laps in addition to his punishment.. 300 laps and take away his gaming privileges.

This man just ended the thread.

I don't know why we have resident neurologists trying to justify the supposed lapse of judgement this guy had.

What this moron did took thought and planning but his dumbass didn't think it'll get back to him. I'm glad it did and I'll reiterate everyone's sentiments: he got off too lightly,

I agree with you & PhaseII on that.

The age is certainly not a big factor in this case. Being young 20's had nothing to do with "not being able know what is wrong and right", he was perfectly capable of determining that.

This is a mindset of someone that had malicious intent, planed it out in advance, execute it, and hoped that he wouldn't get caught doing it.

And you dont have to be in your Young 20's to do something stupid like that....

Now am I saying age doesn't have a role in this? No, but I don't believe it's as big of a role as some people here are making out to be.

Of course, maybe im just being naive as im sadly in that same age bracket as this fellow.....

Swatting isn't a "oops, did I do that?" type of mistake. It is something that has the very real chance to get someone killed, it is flagrant stupidity.

Well, seeing as he probably did this stuff between the ages of whatever to 22, again, he's a kid. He's an idiot.

The concept of jail/imprisonment isn't suppose to ruin you. It's suppose to teach you a lesson. Again, the kid is spending a year in jail, three years house arrest, and then 300 hours of community service.

That's a pretty hard sentence.

IE - 4 seater camero vs a 8 seater van.

Camero can go twice as fast, but is only delivering half the amount of ppl

In the end, the same amount of work is being done.

I understand what you're getting at and it makes sense. In fact, I agree that there are some important differences in guy-brain versus girl-brain. Totally not arguing that. In order to not swing too far off the topic, I think the only points I was trying to make are that the guy should be given a punishment that takes into account all of the factors involved including his under-developed prefrontal cortex that gives him a child-like level of self-control.

I think anything short of a firing squad is getting off light. The swatting victim(s) could end up being shot, so the punishment needs to be severe for this kind of thing..

He deserves more.

Send his ass to a Federal Get Pounded in the Ass prison for no less than five years.

Fuck that guy. They should use him as a human shield in Afghanistan breach and enter operations. If that's too cruel and mentally traumatic perhaps he should have thought about that before getting swat sent to innocent people's home, having their doors kicked in, and guns drawn on them held by on edge officers.

I'm pretty well known for stating when I feel the punishment is in excess of the crime, so it should say something when I say "The little fucker got off light as far as I'm concerned". Frankly in this instance people could of gotten killed and who knows how many actual emergencies may have been held off because this little ++++ thought it would be funny to "Swat". I'm honestly surprised they didn't manage to stick him with attempted homicide and pop him for at least 10 years.

^^^

Pretty much all of this.

Stupid little cocksucker needs to be sent to a PMITA prison.

"A year in prison, three years of supervised release and three hundred hours of community service "

That's a pretty harsh sentence.

For loitering? Yeah.

For engaging in multiple SWATing attempts? FUCK NO! That's a slap on the wrists.

The problem with swatting is the asinine and ridiculous responses of the police. How about scouting out a situation before you go in guns blazing like a bunch of overdosed roid ragers.

Okay, YOU get told that there's someone who's armed, crazy and committing homicide.

Then try to go in the buck-fuckin'-naked and talk him down.

The police aren't getting paid to commit suicide man!

There are procedures for going into an unknown and potentially dangerous situation. And yes, the people they encounter when in this mode don't get treated politely, because one slip up with a potential perp can get you killed.

You take control of the situation first, then ask questions after everyone is under control.

And I don't buy into this whole "22 is the new 12" argument.

Exactly. The "young and dumb" argument needs to just be shitcanned.

If this person is doing this, REGARDLESS of his age, they need to be segregated from society for a while for some remediation.

Because American prison system is such a good educational place to be.

I'm sure that everyone in America never ever will make prank threats again , problem solved.

If they knew first hand the sentence for doing a prank, then yea, probably wouldn't do it again. And I do hold a dim view of the prisons of the US... or probably anywhere, for that matter. But the guy is getting off light.

As someone else said, the swat team could've been called for something real but went to this instead because it sounded more urgent at the time. Or if the swat team saw someone with a fake gun or something that looked like a gun and felt threatened and shot and injured or killed an innocent... even worst.

Both scenarios are "what ifs" situations, sure. But they seem like a very possible what if type of situations.

I'm even critical of the police, but when the call could be saying something that suggest imminent danger like a crazed gunner slaughtering people, or something to that effect... I can't blame them for going in quick and dangerous, because otherwise they'd be the one that might be on the deep end.

I'm missing something here. Do bomb threats get a swat team going through assuming people are a threat (aka guilty) until proven innocent? Otherwise, they are not 'swattings' they are bomb threats.

I'm missing something here. Do bomb threats get a swat team going through assuming people are a threat (aka guilty) until proven innocent? Otherwise, they are not 'swattings' they are bomb threats.

In this case it looks like the bomb threats they called in indicated they were present in the school so the schools were evacuated and the buildings were searched by SWAT looking for either the bomber or the bomb

That's a pretty harsh sentence. Especially, since they probably weighed it based on the particular person and the facts. The things we aren't privy too. He's a 22 year old kid. He's a kid. He's capable of making stupid mistakes. The sentence matches a mistake...not willful intent.

I agree. The sentence was fine. 1 year prison plus the community service, plus the felony 'benefits' he gets for life. He's 22. I made some real stupid mistakes at 22. Yes, I knew better. I wasn't a saint like so many of you guys. I grew out of that stage, though. I think the punishment is fine for a 22 year old. It will also deter others from doing the same thing. As they get better at finding these fucks, and punishing them, it'll come to a grinding halt.

For loitering? Yeah.

For engaging in multiple SWATing attempts? FUCK NO! That's a slap on the wrists.

Remind me never to loiter in your town. Fuck, you're a mean fella. :)

I agree. The sentence was fine. 1 year prison plus the community service, plus the felony 'benefits' he gets for life. He's 22. I made some real stupid mistakes at 22. Yes, I knew better. I wasn't a saint like so many of you guys. I grew out of that stage, though. I think the punishment is fine for a 22 year old. It will also deter others from doing the same thing. As they get better at finding these fucks, and punishing them, it'll come to a grinding halt.

Dude.

22 is a grown fucking man. You don't get to pull the "young and stupid" card at 22. He was 22, not 12.

Let's just kill them all. :rolleyes:

I don't see a problem with that. We allow people to get away with too much as we don't want to be mean and hurt feeling. Fuck that, more death.

Zarathustra[H];1041901263 said:
Dude.

22 is a grown fucking man. You don't get to pull the "young and stupid" card at 22. He was 22, not 12.

This, it is one thing at age 22 to go do stupid things but swatting is WAY outside of that range of is considered stupid things. Getting drunk and pissing all over somebody's car is stupid, smashing out all their windows with a baseball bat is criminal behavior way beyond just being stupid. Running down a street nude is being stupid, raping a woman is criminal behavior way beyond being stupid. Burning a bag of dog poop on a step and ringing a door bell is stupid, covering a house in gas and setting it on fire is criminal behavior way beyond being stupid. Calling somebody names in a game is being stupid, figuring out where they live, sending the police there and risking (or maybe even hoping) somebody gets arrested or shot is way beyond being stupid. There are lines that you cross from being a stupid and immature person and doing criminal acts with the intension of causing harm to others.

Tack on "except for work related activity can not use a computer or video game console or internet device until he's 30" and I'll like it better, and if he's caught so much as sending a tweet or updating his facebook page he goes back to prison for another year.

Zarathustra[H];1041901263 said:
Dude.

To put this in perspective. Depending on your state you can drive a car (putting others around you at risk) at 16 or 18 years of age.

By age 18 you are federally allowed to buy a gun on your own.

At 18 you can also sit on a jury, which includes actions up to and including sentencing someone to death.

At 18 you are old enough to vote in an election.

At 18 you can join the fucking military, and are potentially entrusted with making proper life and death decisions in a war zone.

(By 21 you are legally entrusted with alcohol :p )

This guy was 22. Not 12. He does not get to use the "young and stupid" excuse to get off lightly.

I know, I know, the pre-frontal cortex of the brain, responsible - in part - for rational decision making isn't fully developed until age 25 on average, but if it is developed enough by age 18 to allow for all the responsibilities mentioned above, it sure as hell is developed enough to know not to put people in danger over stupid pranks.

I know today's helicopter parents aren't letting millennials develop at the same rate as previous generations by never letting them make their own decisions, never letting them fail, and giving everyone a participation trophy, but even growing up under those circumstances, at 22 you fucking know better.

22 is NOT the new 12.

Zarathustra[H];1041901315 said:
I know today's helicopter parents aren't letting millennials develop at the same rate as previous generations by never letting them make their own decisions, never letting them fail, and giving everyone a participation trophy, but even growing up under those circumstances, at 22 you fucking know better.

22 is NOT the new 12.

This is why I think another 2 years and I have lived through enough and might just end my life, if not sooner. I don't want to live in the world that is being created by and for the current millennials.

Back