Gamer Gets Swatted On Live Stream

Everyone shitting on the cops when the real asshole is that one who called it in the first place.

Oh and all this shitty commentary couldn't possibly be in direct relation to the a number of other media-driven witch hunts for "bad cops".

Let me break it to you, the cop in Ferguson did nothing wrong and the guys here probably made some minor mistakes (that the streamer seemed to be perfectly calm and collected about), but the real problem continues to be a society that can't be reasonable human beings.

The recent stories I've read have been a 50/50 mix of "that cop was absolutely wrong in this incident" and "Person being a complete jackass trying to bait cops into doing something wrong, publicly announcing how self righteous they are".

The cop in Ferguson lost his temper and executed an unarmed man, who surrendered to the officer, at a distance, on his knees, and was gunned down because of the officer was upset.

You should actually do research before forming any conclusions, and before that, don't form conclusions, just possibilities that hopefully account for what happened.

Zarathustra[H];1041055004 said:
So yes, many problems in this video all at once.

1.) If they find the prankster, he is definitely going to federal pound-me-up-the-ass prison. Hopefully he can also be sued.

2.) Yes, severe police misconduct in this video:

a.) It was evident this wasn't a live shooter situation, and it was evident from the way the cops just strolled in there that it was also evident to them this wasn't a live shooter situation. Based on this, they had no business charging in with guns drawn especially considering all the risks. Can you imagine if the guy was accidentally shot? Also they had no business cuffing a guy who was apparently not a live shooter, and robbing him - albeit temporarily - of his freedom.

b.) The courts have upheld that police need a warrant to search a phone. What they did on that video was just plain illegal.

c.) Disabling a video camera inside someone else's property is not just illegal, but it also suggests that they are aware that what they are doing is in legal question, and they don't want it to become known.

d.) Does anyone know how long they can detain a person without placing them under arrest? I didn't hear any rights being read, so either they just disregarded that portion of the law, or he was never arrested.

Police militarization and police abuse needs to stop ASAP. Power corrupts. All law enforcement need to have wearable cameras on at all times, and face suspension pending a termination hearing if they are tampered with, powered off or removed.
1) Yup.
2)a: That's not how it works. They were storming the building, not the room. Common sense and LEO protocol dictates drawn weapons when going into a shots-fired scenario. Not only that, but the cops showed remarkably good muzzle control considering what we've seen recently in Ferguson.

b: Warrant requirements go out the window under several exceptions. Several apply here.

c: Ok, so it's NOT illegal. At all. Period. There' s no law against it, and not only that, but they did it with the assistance of the kid being held. Furtehrmore, your insinuation isn't backed up by... well... anything.

d: A "reasonable period of time" dictated by the circumstances. For example, if it's a multi story business building that will take time to clear, it might take some time. Notice their questioning was ALL focused on securing the building and the basis for their appearance. Furthermore, he has the right to remain silent. He doesn't have to answer any questions. Now, doing so will result in a longer reasonable detention while the cops answer the questions for themselves by securing the building, but he doesn't have to assist.
That said, once the building is secure, and they have discovered that there is no shooting, they need to let him go. By all accounts, this is exactly what happened.

And I am ALL for the personal cameras. Period. That said, I find it VERY funny that the privacy advocates are the ones calling for these things.

Zarathustra[H];1041055004 said:
Many times the police are bigger criminals than the people they are called in to deal with.
No, police are criminals just as often as the people they arrest. Cops aren't any better or worse than the average joe. They represent a slice of a given population and will reflect the criminal makeup of that population.

As was mentioned above: armchair constitutionalists need to do some reading before yammering about rights, the law and violations thereof. :rolleyes:

Several cops in my family and I almost became one myself. I am also quite familiar with the law and our constitutional rights.
Apparently not. :rolleyes:
Everything you said in your post, which I will not be quoting in full is unsubstantiated and WRONG. There are statutes and SCOTUS decisions that lay out why. Please read some books. See, just because I threw a football once and watch football on sundays does not make me knowledgeable about coaching football, any more than "I know a cop" makes you knowledgeable about the law.

Everyone shitting on the cops when the real asshole is that one who called it in the first place.

Oh and all this shitty commentary couldn't possibly be in direct relation to the a number of other media-driven witch hunts for "bad cops".

Let me break it to you, the cop in Ferguson did nothing wrong and the guys here probably made some minor mistakes (that the streamer seemed to be perfectly calm and collected about), but the real problem continues to be a society that can't be reasonable human beings.

The recent stories I've read have been a 50/50 mix of "that cop was absolutely wrong in this incident" and "Person being a complete jackass trying to bait cops into doing something wrong, publicly announcing how self righteous they are".

The person who called it in is the first asshole. Far from the only asshole in the situation.

My commentary has nothing to do with the media. It has to do with having met a ton of shitty cops amongst a few decent ones as well as having an increasingly differing idea of what is permitted by the law compared to the police.

Even with the large population of bad cops in my area, there are at least pretty good procedures. It would be exceedingly unusual for the SWAT team to be rolled out without confirmation for an anonymous call. For SWAT to roll out to do anything other than lock down the area in a potential hostage situation would usually require knowledge from an ongoing investigation or to serve a warrant. Why? Because they have reasonable procedures. Most things that would qualify as exigent circumstances that might be addressed by a swat team are not made better by kicking a door down and encouraging extra dead people (i.e. hostage situations). State wide, they also seem to be much better at determining they are at the correct address, and at not killing anyone when they do their job.

I like how the cop just searches the cell phone with out the owners consent.
Plus he got all of that on tape. Lawyer time. Get paid

Owner's fault for not securing his phone or system. What? Don't tell me you think we actually live in a democracy.. hahahahhaha!

Non-cops, non-attorneys squeeling over what they see as illegal and unfair and overuse of force etc. All of it based on an ignorance of the law and a knee-jerk reaction to a shitty situation.

IMHO, the cops handled it VERY well. They were fast, professional and weren't a dick to the guy. Other than the one snapping at him for laughing, which let's be honest was an honest snap (despite the hilarity of the situation), they all were polite and businesslike.
I guess I'm one of the few kind of in the middle here. From what I saw, it looked like the police were, for the most part, doing things right. Yes, browsing the phone and putting down the camera were the wrong thing to do (seriously? an active-shooter call, and you're worried about a webcam?), and snapping at the guy when he's smiling was out of line. Everything else seemed alright. Their conversation once they cleared the room seemed professional enough (again, other than the "why are you laughing" thing).

There's one detail that nobody has pointed out yet. Because he was wearing headphones, he couldn't hear the earlier commotion (and presumably, police instructions). Did everyone follow an earlier instruction to evacuate except him? From the police's perspective, you evacuate a building, then come upon a guy who hasn't complied. Sure, it's a little suspicious, and you're a little jumpy, because you still haven't found the active shooter.

The problem is, there's no way for the police to win here. If there's a real shooter and they take their time to verify, then more people can end up dead. If there's no shooter and they barge in, everyone gets on their backs.

Your post reads like that of a well educated adult. :rolleyes:

What are you implying?

You and your family are home, you are all law abiding and have your door kicked in, whether it's a police no knock raid or a burglar/home invasion. What are you going to do, sit there with the look of a deer starring at headlights or are you going to flee or defend in those split seconds which you have no ideal of whats going on?

I like that picture, you have a larger version to post?
kimxt.jpg

police-militarized1.jpg

Typical keyboard warrior comments in this thread.

"Surprised cops didnt shoot him in the face!"
"Cant believe they didnt murder everyone on their way in!"
"Typical pigs using force!"
"Constitution thrown out the window!"
"America is dead, we have no more rights"

Jesus titty fucking christ are you kids really that impressionable? I imagine if this thread started on a different note you'd all be singing a new tune there. A sort sort of "I'll base my reaction on those of everyone else" attitude. You people are an embarrassment.

1 cop made 1 mistake, searching his cellphone. Probably ignorant of the law and needs to be educated. He obviously had good intentions. Fire him if you have to, but this is not somehow representative of some greater problem at large. We have a response force built around the honor system here. You cant prove that a hostage scenario isnt taking place. They have to respond like it is every time. Do you want the next Sandy Hook massacre to have the first 10 minutes spent having a debate with a 911 operator?

The only way to solve this is to punish those abusing it. Most people in this world avoid committing crimes purely upon the punishment of being caught. When someone sees a shiny pack of MnM's in the grocery store, chances are they would totally steal it 100% of the time if they could, but the fear of being arrested stops them. Thats it. Right now there is no fear of swatting people. Kids arent away of the severity of the punishment, but they ARE aware of the likelihood of being caught. As soon as the police secure a system to trace these kinds of VoIP pranks which would probably consist of little more than a series of quick warrants to get IP records released (something I'm sure the majority of you will ALSO complain about) this shit is just going to keep happening.

Thank you, McFry. Threads like these need more pragmatism.

The cop in Ferguson lost his temper and executed an unarmed man, who surrendered to the officer, at a distance, on his knees, and was gunned down because of the officer was upset.

You should actually do research before forming any conclusions, and before that, don't form conclusions, just possibilities that hopefully account for what happened.

Your entire statement is based around unproven eye witness testimony that was already found to be flawed at best. So please, take your own advice about forming conclusions. I have done my own research, to include staying up many many nights watching streams of the "peaceful protests" and the "poorly treated media". Media painted the police in a certain light and you decided to believe it.

Your entire statement is based around unproven eye witness testimony that was already found to be flawed at best. So please, take your own advice about forming conclusions. I have done my own research, to include staying up many many nights watching streams of the "peaceful protests" and the "poorly treated media". Media painted the police in a certain light and you decided to believe it.

putting those things in quotes doesn't make them false. the police in Ferguson, whether the incident that caused the protests was lawful or not, are doing pretty much everything wrong

Typical keyboard warrior comments in this thread.

"Surprised cops didnt shoot him in the face!"
"Cant believe they didnt murder everyone on their way in!"
"Typical pigs using force!"
"Constitution thrown out the window!"
"America is dead, we have no more rights"

Jesus titty fucking christ are you kids really that impressionable? I imagine if this thread started on a different note you'd all be singing a new tune there. A sort sort of "I'll base my reaction on those of everyone else" attitude. You people are an embarrassment.

1 cop made 1 mistake, searching his cellphone. Probably ignorant of the law and needs to be educated. He obviously had good intentions. Fire him if you have to, but this is not somehow representative of some greater problem at large. We have a response force built around the honor system here. You cant prove that a hostage scenario isnt taking place. They have to respond like it is every time. Do you want the next Sandy Hook massacre to have the first 10 minutes spent having a debate with a 911 operator?

The only way to solve this is to punish those abusing it. Most people in this world avoid committing crimes purely upon the punishment of being caught. When someone sees a shiny pack of MnM's in the grocery store, chances are they would totally steal it 100% of the time if they could, but the fear of being arrested stops them. Thats it. Right now there is no fear of swatting people. Kids arent away of the severity of the punishment, but they ARE aware of the likelihood of being caught. As soon as the police secure a system to trace these kinds of VoIP pranks which would probably consist of little more than a series of quick warrants to get IP records released (something I'm sure the majority of you will ALSO complain about) this shit is just going to keep happening.

Yup. Thanks for some actual pragmatism. This issue is a case where the polar opinions are retarded.

On one side you've got people who deeply fear any police power at all. Ever heard of Thomas Hobbes? Learn a little. Peace between mankind exists only through threat of war, and that extends down to the intra-societal level as well.

On the other you have those who want the state to control everything and "protect us from ourselves". Ever heard of Big Brother?

There is a middle ground. I personally lean libertarian on most issues. On this one, I stand with McFry.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets clipped during one of these. It will take a major public eff up by the police..like a streamer being shot live on camera... before law enforcement gets serious about trying to prevent this nonsense.

What occurred should not be the result of an anonymous or unverified tip.
'nuff said.

Double post:

They could have easily barricade the office, evacuated the area and initiated negotiations, which incidentally is scientifically varified as having the best results.

More often than not the people who wind up doing the hostage taking and bomb planting are pawns with no real idea what to expect.

Negotiating lets them get out non-violently, it works, but we (cops included) have nothing better to do, and that is the problem.

What occurred should not be the result of an anonymous or unverified tip.
'nuff said.

How does one "verify" an active shooter in a building without GOING to the building and checking it out?
How does one safely do that unarmed?

Who in their right mind just sits there STILL playing CS while KNOWING there is a SWAT team right outside. He had the door closed...and yet he knew somehow he was being "Swatted"? Also, he starts laughing when they have him down and then sitting, smirking even while the cop asks him what's so funny. Who would be laughing at that point, you were almost freaking shot, a lot of people could have died. I see it as intentional, which is extremely stupid but every jackass out there right now want's their 30 seconds of fame. From the video, this is these moron's job, to stream CS (who want's to watch that crap, I'd rather play) and they are trying to garner publicity.

My guess, one of his viewers or friends on his stream called this in and warned him about it. There is no way you would be that calm and excited to see them enter.

I would have chuckled a few times, not going to lie. I mean, you KNOW this is crazy, and the result of some internet retard.
And what is it with all these people here claiming that "a lot of people could have died"? When was the last time a swatting call got someone killed?

(who want's to watch that crap, I'd rather play
Considering Twitch just sold to Amazon for a hair under a billion dollars, quite a few people want to watch...

How does one "verify" an active shooter in a building without GOING to the building and checking it out?
How does one safely do that unarmed?

Find the phone number of the building, give them a call and ask "are you guys being shot at or are you an active shooter?"

Duh!

But remember guys, not all cops are dickholes, just most of them:
http://www.break.com/video/another-crooked-cop-makes-the-good-ones-look-bad-2752568
^ another beauty released today, blantant LIES and bullying and rediculous amount of intimidation and death threats on the part of the cop

Luckily the freedom of information act made access to the cops dashcam mandatory, otherwise they would have "lost" the hard drive on it too. Please guys, do yourself a favor and get yourself some Foscam cameras for your home and a dashcam. They aren't that pricey, and it has many practical uses beyond protection from abusive police.

Mugato, humor is often used as a coping mechanism, I would laugh just to release my own tension.

second, there was a bomb claim, so SWAT going in was retarded and if this was real they could have all been blown to bits and rightly would have deserved it and the full investigation that would have followed.

Third, there is plenty that can be done, in Canada, which is currently more the land of the free then Merica, we surround the building and then call and tell you to surrender before doing a full raid.That is just basic shit, but America has turned their police into storm troopers, and this is the result.

Mugato, humor is often used as a coping mechanism, I would laugh just to release my own tension.

second, there was a bomb claim, so SWAT going in was retarded and if this was real they could have all been blown to bits and rightly would have deserved it and the full investigation that would have followed.

Third, there is plenty that can be done, in Canada, which is currently more the land of the free then Merica, we surround the building and then call and tell you to surrender before doing a full raid.That is just basic shit, but America has turned their police into storm troopers, and this is the result.

Who said anything about a bomb threat? All the articles I read stated that the call reported people being shot...nothing about a bomb.

Who said anything about a bomb threat? All the articles I read stated that the call reported people being shot...nothing about a bomb.

The news article linked on page two of this discussion had bomb threat. Simply put, none recon was done, anything could have been waiting for them. All parties involved are lucky this didn't go horribly wrong.

"What about this is funny to you, Kid?"

'The downright absurdity of it, Officer!"

Who in their right mind just sits there STILL playing CS while KNOWING there is a SWAT team right outside. He had the door closed...and yet he knew somehow he was being "Swatted"? Also, he starts laughing when they have him down and then sitting, smirking even while the cop asks him what's so funny. Who would be laughing at that point, you were almost freaking shot, a lot of people could have died. I see it as intentional, which is extremely stupid but every jackass out there right now want's their 30 seconds of fame. From the video, this is these moron's job, to stream CS (who want's to watch that crap, I'd rather play) and they are trying to garner publicity.

My guess, one of his viewers or friends on his stream called this in and warned him about it. There is no way you would be that calm and excited to see them enter.

News articles are reporting that the 911 caller was claiming to be the gunman/bomber. Claimed to have already shot 2 coworkers and holding more hostages with bombs planted around the building. The streamer heard shouting from the swat team as they were clearing other rooms that's why he suspected he had been swatted. And seriously swat is aggressively clearing your building you don't move. Getting up and opening the door wouldn't not trigger and pleasant response from people. Sit tight put your hands up stay still.

News articles are reporting that the 911 caller was claiming to be the gunman/bomber. Claimed to have already shot 2 coworkers and holding more hostages with bombs planted around the building. The streamer heard shouting from the swat team as they were clearing other rooms that's why he suspected he had been swatted. And seriously if swat is aggressively clearing your building you don't move. Getting up and opening the door would not trigger a pleasant response from swat. Sit tight, put your hands up, and stay still.

Ugh so many typos sorry: fixed

To everyone convinced the police totally botched this one here, you need to look at it in another context. This is the land of Columbine high school on 1999 and the Aurora theater shooting in 2012. What if this had been a real situation? There was much criticism for delayed response in those and other situations. It is well publicized that response tactics have very much changed due to these terrible situations.

The reviewing his cell phone and taking down the webcam were a little concerning. Not sure of my opinions on it either way.

I am greatly concerned about the militarization of the police force. I don't see that as a problem in this situation.

But keep some perspective here. The real villain in this case is the jackass that phoned it in.

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that the buisiness was in *Colorado* (I'm in Cali), and can partly explain the bust-the-door-in nature of police response.

To all those appalled at the SWAT response, ask yourself if you were trapped in a building where an active shooter was roaming you'd want the SWAT coming in to clear the building ASAP and not standing around outside reconing the situation to see if it was a false alarm.

I'm split on the cell phone search and and turning off the web camera. I really hope they find who the a$$hat that called it in.

He said he thinks they were being swatted. Because it seems like rooms were being cleared out, I'm guessing he looked out and saw a good number of people leaving rooms.

And who wouldn't be amused that swat is on a raid because of a video game? The situation is comical; a stupid waste of tax dollars, but it is comical. Not like he could have prevented it or nothing.

And who wants to watch it? a good number of people. who wants to watch football? I'd rather play, who wants to watch soccer? I'd rather play. Did you seriously just say that? *faceplam*

Zarathustra[H];1041055549 said:
This is the kind of cop I want:

rockwell17.jpg

Well, maybe if you reinstituted Jim Crow...

News articles are reporting that the 911 caller was claiming to be the gunman/bomber. Claimed to have already shot 2 coworkers and holding more hostages with bombs planted around the building. The streamer heard shouting from the swat team as they were clearing other rooms that's why he suspected he had been swatted. And seriously swat is aggressively clearing your building you don't move. Getting up and opening the door wouldn't not trigger and pleasant response from people. Sit tight put your hands up stay still.

This guy did the best thing possible. Stay calm and act casual. When you got a bunch of cops hopped up on adrenaline coming at you, yelling and screaming is the last thing you want to do. Obviously some people understand this fact better than others. If you know what I mean.

Well, maybe if you reinstituted Jim Crow...

No need for Jim Crow to have a friendly helpful and honest police force. This was the ideal back then, just as it is now, but except for rare exceptions it has never really existed, unfortunately.

This guy did the best thing possible. Stay calm and act casual. When you got a bunch of cops hopped up on adrenaline coming at you, yelling and screaming is the last thing you want to do. Obviously some people understand this fact better than others. If you know what I mean.

Agreed. It's a good idea to keep everything as calm as possible when a bunch of macho dudes with guns enter your residence or business, regardless of wheter they are cops or someone else. Calm people make fewer mistakes, and mistakes don't usually end well if the gun is pointed in your direction...

To all those appalled at the SWAT response, ask yourself if you were trapped in a building where an active shooter was roaming you'd want the SWAT coming in to clear the building ASAP and not standing around outside reconing the situation to see if it was a false alarm.

I don't think anyone is arguing that they shouldn't have come in with guns drawn and examined the situation. They have no way of knowing in advance that it is a hoax.

That being said, was it really necessary to aim their guns at a guy sitting peacefully at a computer, take him down, cuff him and search him? Is that what they do to EVERYONE doing an active situation? Presumably not. Presumably they use common sense to try to determine who the threat is, and who the potential victims are.

It was pretty clear to anyone watching this video that this guy was not a threat. If there were an active shooter, it wasn't him.

Then illegally searching the phone, followed by covering, then shutting off the camera in order to try to cover up what they were doing is pretty shitty.

Cops should EXPECT to be recorded 24/7, and I would make the wearable cameras some departments have adopted a nationwide requirement for all police forces, and have an automatic administrative leave, investigation and termination clause for any cop who disables, doesn't wear, or otherwise makes the cameras ineffective. As someone mentioned above, the unions may not like this, but tough. We'll have to jam it down their throats. Police abuse is simply too big of a problem.

Back