Gamer Alert: Serious Nvidia Flaw Plagues Graphics Driver

except you know, the average user that never updates their drivers. like my roommate, has no idea what he's doing with a pc and nothing gets done to his system unless i do it. everyone rocking nvidia love to rag on amd but never dare criticise nv.

GeForce Experience has an auto-update option. Also, how is people not updating driver's Nvidia's fault? Do you want them to send people to everyone's house and force them to update drivers? Would you rather they never fix security issues? You are being utterly unreasonable and your point is...Pointless because it doesn't at all apply in this situation.

I'm an embedded software developer. I also wrote a tool called MuvoMaster back in the day.

For most people, the tools are a distraction form other major projects.

Always the marketing team with some great idea halfway through development and can't add any time to the timeline.

except you know, the average user that never updates their drivers. like my roommate, has no idea what he's doing with a pc and nothing gets done to his system unless i do it. everyone rocking nvidia love to rag on amd but never dare criticise nv.

and i havent had many drivers issues with amd or nvidia over my 25+ years. but it always seems like nvidia people making the most noise, especially if an amd person dares say they arent having an issue.
I have been told about the driver issues first hand from friends especially when playing the same games. I'm not saying that nvidia hasn't had issues in the past but its been known that AMD has had issues with their drivers not working well with new games. I'm not sure if thats a driver optimization issue that they don't get ironed out until its available to the public. If nvidia drivers had issues don't you think we would hear about it from the AMD crowd as well?

I have been told about the driver issues first hand from friends especially when playing the same games. I'm not saying that nvidia hasn't had issues in the past but its been known that AMD has had issues with their drivers not working well with new games. I'm not sure if thats a driver optimization issue that they don't get ironed out until its available to the public. If nvidia drivers had issues don't you think we would hear about it from the AMD crowd as well?
Not really cause we dont care lol.....really dont

We should give Nvidia grief for an issues that was patched before anyone even knew it existed?

I doubt any of the comments we make here about that particular issue will "grieve" Nvidia.

I've read many of erek's posts and I think I can safely say he can tend to be rather, ummm, dramatic at times (in a subtle way). I'll bet he was so excited about posting this one that his hands were trembling while he was typing out the Title :p :)

Well, the newest versions of Geforce Experience cause crashing in multiple games. Uninstalling fixes the crashes.

I haven't had problems with the drivers themselves as of late except that they have issues with EVGA Precision X1. If it is loaded, then games still crash. The fix... don't use EVGA Precision.... stupid fix when it worked fine with the older driver versions.

I have not been impressed at all with the last 4-5 driver releases from nVidia.

That's evgas nasty software causing the problem. The latest Turing driver has been stellar for me, I'm glad I don't have to wait 6-8 months on nVidia to fix things when major problems crop up.

Sight. Good thing you know your shit. Oh wait, you don't.

Everyone, including AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA, had to fix those shader parser issues.

LOL. You should learn to read the links before making stupid assumptions. I'll spell it out for you: AMD doesn't declare security issues and fixes in their driver change logs when everyone else has been very transparent about it.

That's evgas nasty software causing the problem. The latest Turing driver has been stellar for me, I'm glad I don't have to wait 6-8 months on nVidia to fix things when major problems crop up.

Tried not using EVGA Precision before uninstalling Geforce Experience. Destiny 2 was still crashing.

This only started happening in the last few driver releases. Was fine before then.

People, there isn't a vendor of a product in the IT space that openly declares every vulnerability that they fix. It just doesn't exist. Especially if they are reactive. Meaning a research company contacts a vendor. Lets call it Intel or AMD, or Nvidia, or I don't know... netgear, or cisco.

If that researcher contacts them and says "I discovered x vulnerability in Y." They say. "Great here is your payment for the discovery and notification. Please give us x amount of time to resolve this." Then that researcher gets paid and checks back to make sure the issue is resolved. Provided it is then they are done and move on to the next job. (Sometimes these researchers are even inside the company.)

The issues where we hear about it are ones where the researcher says. "I've discovered X vulnerability in Y. Here is how you do it. Can you fix this by the symposium I am going to speak at in 9 months detailing this unique vulnerability and how I found it?" The vendor says. "Can you NOT do that?" The researcher says. "I'm already writing the paper sorry and it's well outside of the x time window you have to respond so I CAN speak on it."

So now the vendor has to not only fix the issue before the symposium, but also publicize that there is a vulnerability in x that allows y and that this patch fixes it.

So everyone can quit screaming about how security holes are patched and never told to you that the patch fixes that. The vast majority of the time we are not made aware.

GeForce Experience has an auto-update option. Also, how is people not updating driver's Nvidia's fault? Do you want them to send people to everyone's house and force them to update drivers? Would you rather they never fix security issues? You are being utterly unreasonable and your point is...Pointless because it doesn't at all apply in this situation.
and if GFE isnt installed it doesnt update and therefor the system is still insecure. no im not, it still stands and this thread and others prove my point.

If nvidia drivers had issues don't you think we would hear about it from the AMD crowd as well?
nope.

and if GFE isnt installed it doesnt update and therefor the system is still insecure. no im not, it still stands and this thread and others prove my point.
The default behavior of GFE is to notify the user that an update is available without installing. Automatic driver updates have to be enabled by the user.

So what the fuck do you expect Nvidia to do, exactly? Magically never have security issues? Never fix them so you don't have to get off your ass and spend two minutes installing drivers for someone? Your point doesn't stand, at all. You have no point. This is a complete non-issue. This thread proves you want people to bitch over literally nothing or that you are just pissy that people called out your precious AMD over driver issues. All you are doing is displaying fanboy level bullshit and whining that people aren't taking a non-issue as anything more than a non-issue.

So what the fuck do you expect Nvidia to do, exactly? Magically never have security issues? Never fix them so you don't have to get off your ass and spend two minutes installing drivers for someone? Your point doesn't stand, at all. You have no point. This is a complete non-issue. This thread proves you want people to bitch over literally nothing or that you are just pissy that people called out your precious AMD over driver issues. All you are doing is displaying fanboy level bullshit and whining that people aren't taking a non-issue as anything more than a non-issue.
my point is nvidia people spaz out, like whats happening in this thread and youre helping prove that point. im not a fanboy but you guys love tossing that around, also helping prove my point.

my point is nvidia people spaz out, like whats happening in this thread and youre helping prove that point. im not a fanboy but you guys love tossing that around, also helping prove my point.

"You guys". Lol. Kid, you know fuck all about me. You tried to use a non-issue to make a "point" that is nothing more than fanboy level bullshit. Anyone claiming "No OnE EvEr SaYs AnYtHiNg BaD aBoUt [x company]" on a fucking hardware enthusiast forum is either not paying attention or is blinded by their own personal bias and completely ignoring what they don't want to see.

nope.
It kinda seems like the AMD crowd is letting the nvidia crowd know about it right now......

"You guys". Lol. Kid, you know fuck all about me. You tried to use a non-issue to make a "point" that is nothing more than fanboy level bullshit. Anyone claiming "No OnE EvEr SaYs AnYtHiNg BaD aBoUt [x company]" on a fucking hardware enthusiast forum is either not paying attention or is blinded by their own personal bias and completely ignoring what they don't want to see.
look at you loosing your shit for no reason, boy.

It kinda seems like the AMD crowd is letting the nvidia crowd know about it right now......
except that its not. its one person spazing out because i said "all the people that wont cut amd any slack better be in here not cutting nvidia slack... "

The default behavior of GFE is to notify the user that an update is available without installing. Automatic driver updates have to be enabled by the user.

I feel like mine never actually updates the driver even with that enabled. maybe something else preventing it.

Looks like the only option i have is "allow GFE to download updates and then let me choose when to install"

Last edited:
LOL. You should learn to read the links before making stupid assumptions. I'll spell it out for you: AMD doesn't declare security issues and fixes in their driver change logs when everyone else has been very transparent about it.

Point taken. Thanks for spelling it out for me. I mean that non sarcastically. A rare occurrence.

I feel like mine never actually updates the driver even with that enabled. maybe something else preventing it.

Looks like the only option i have is "allow GFE to download updates and then let me choose when to install"
I didn't like the GFE app i uninstalled it. I can't remeber what issues i had with it but i figured i would just continue to manually install the new drivers everytime. I do a clean install for it anyway i don't think thats an option in GFE.

I didn't like the GFE app i uninstalled it. I can't remeber what issues i had with it but i figured i would just continue to manually install the new drivers everytime. I do a clean install for it anyway i don't think thats an option in GFE.

GFE allows a clean install. Not sure if that's a new feature or if it's always been there.

**edit**
Should have hit refresh before replying. Oops.

You're comparing apples to the moon that's why. NVIDIA immediately fixed a vulnerability (which AMD also is prone to) vs AMD shipping a product with broken drivers for over 6 months.

You're comparing apples to the moon that's why. NVIDIA immediately fixed a vulnerability (which AMD also is prone to) vs AMD shipping a product with broken drivers for over 6 months.

Hmm shipping broken drivers with a card or shipping working drivers with a broken card. Seems like both options sucked from both Nvidia and AMD. Neither company is innocent in dropping the ball, they both got it fixed but if you experienced the problem you were likely a bit pissed.

Hmm shipping broken drivers with a card or shipping working drivers with a broken card. Seems like both options sucked from both Nvidia and AMD. Neither company is innocent in dropping the ball, they both got it fixed but if you experienced the problem you were likely a bit pissed.
Indeed. That is why it’s important to make sure to ding companies for their actual mistakes and not try to make a mountain out of a molehill. Fixing a security issue that no one even knew existed prior to the fix? Not an issue. Video cards dying en masse right after release? Major issue.

Turings early problems weren't NVIDIAs design fault but rather the micron ram. Again apples and the moon since one was a hardware defect covered under warranty vs gross incompetence. Just look at the 5600 launch, that's still a mess as cards on the store shelves still have the old vbios. RTG keeps showing their incompetence over and over. It's why I can't trust them enough to buy a Radeon gfx card, I'd always be expecting the worst.

Last edited:
Turings early problems weren't NVIDIAs design fault but rather the micron ram. Again apples and the moon since one was a hardware defect covered under warranty vs gross incompetence. Just look at the 5600 launch, that's still a mess as cards on the store shelves still have the old vbios. RTG keeps showing their incompetence over and over. It's why I can't trust them enough to buy a Radeon gfx card, I'd always be expecting the worst.

See this is why no one takes your seriously, you excuse one while slamming the other and it just makes everyone else think your biased. A failure of a card is the manufacturers fault period, if the transmission fails on your car you dont blame Getrag, you blame Chrysler or in this case Nvidia. 5600 launch was less then ideal but there is also plenty of info on it and bios updates are available, it also doesn't stop the card from working.

Eh, nVidia Space Invaders cards were nVidia's fault no matter how you fucking slice it. It may have been the shady RAM (did anyone ever figure it out and spill the beans?) but it happened to FE cards in addition to AIBs. nVidia's design included whatever dodgy component(s) failed; thus it's nVidia's fault.

See this is why no one takes your seriously, you excuse one while slamming the other and it just makes everyone else think your biased. A failure of a card is the manufacturers fault period, if the transmission fails on your car you dont blame Getrag, you blame Chrysler or in this case Nvidia. 5600 launch was less then ideal but there is also plenty of info on it and bios updates are available, it also doesn't stop the card from working.

Did nVidia have to redesign Turing? If not, then it wasn't a design flaw, simple as that. Nobody excused the dead cards but it wasn't nearly as bad as flawed drivers for 6+ months. One was due to faulty manufacturing/components which can happen but broken drivers is gross incompetence. With space invaders you could RMA and get a new card whereas black screens and crashes couldn't be remedied no matter what.

Last edited:
Did nVidia have to redesign Turing? If not, then it wasn't a design flaw, simple as that. Nobody excused the dead cards but it wasn't nearly as bad as flawed drivers for 6+ months. One was due to faulty manufacturing/components which can happen but broken drivers is gross incompetence. With space invaders you could RMA and get a new card whereas black screens and crashes couldn't be remedied no matter what.

Kyle ordered two cards and they both freaking died, Id say thats a pretty big damn problem and then it exploded all over the web about them playing space invaders. Simple fact Nvidia designed it, so if it failed then it's their fault and they need to test their stuff better. 6 months of a driver issue is shitty as well, but you dont see me making excuses for AMD do you? Yet you feel the need to give Nvidia a free pass on dead cards and some people had to wait quite awhile as their was supply issues. Both sucked and they both deserved heat for it, as for what fixed the Turning cards we don't know since Nvidia never told us and Kyle shelved his project into figuring it out. Your logic there escapes me and many others on here. I guess you feel Rockstar hit it out of the park with the launch of Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC as well?

Kyle ordered two cards and they both freaking died, Id say thats a pretty big damn problem and then it exploded all over the web about them playing space invaders. Simple fact Nvidia designed it, so if it failed then it's their fault and they need to test their stuff better. 6 months of a driver issue is shitty as well, but you dont see me making excuses for AMD do you? Yet you feel the need to give Nvidia a free pass on dead cards and some people had to wait quite awhile as their was supply issues. Both sucked and they both deserved heat for it, as for what fixed the Turning cards we don't know since Nvidia never told us and Kyle shelved his project into figuring it out. Your logic there escapes me and many others on here. I guess you feel Rockstar hit it out of the park with the launch of Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC as well?

If you can prove it was a design flaw then I'll say it's nVidias fault and not a manufacturing defect. Otherwise yes it's shitty but not directly a design flaw either. Broken drivers on the other hand is much worse, especially 6+months.

It wasn't just Micron. Samsung memory cards died as well. Micron died the most but Micron memory also seemed to be the most commonly used across the board at launch (likely because they had the most supply). Hell, no one even knows if it really was the memory at fault because Nvidia barely acknowledged the problem outside of massively downplaying it by claiming it was a "limited number of test escapes". There was never any admission to it being a major problem with a lot of cards or even what actually caused it. We only have best guess theories.

It wasn't just Micron. Samsung memory cards died as well. Micron died the most but Micron memory also seemed to be the most commonly used across the board at launch (likely because they had the most supply). Hell, no one even knows if it really was the memory at fault because Nvidia barely acknowledged the problem outside of massively downplaying it by claiming it was a "limited number of test escapes". There was never any admission to it being a major problem with a lot of cards or even what actually caused it. We only have best guess theories.

Here's the thing, if there were massive failures, we'd see nVidia talk about taking a financial hit due to increased RMA costs which never surfaced. If they claim it was test escapes then that may be it and if it was, then that is certainly their fault but at least there was RMA as an option.

Back