Gameplay doesn't feel smooth even at 60fps

EquaLiZr

Supreme [H]ardness
Often while im playing games it feels choppy/chugging but im maxed out at 59.9 or 60fps. Specs are below.

First up, some questions to answer:

What games? "All of them" does not count. List three.

What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Do you run via DVI, DP, HDMI?

Programs running in the background, internet security, BitTorrent, streaming...

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?

How much RAM do you actually have?

answer me these questions, and I'll attempt to help you.

Questions by KazeoHin would be helpful to have answers to.

However, with the monitor that you have, it will default to 30Hz. You've got to dig into its menus and make sure that DP is set to 1.2 and that you're actually pushing 60Hz to the screen (you may also have to tweak the monitor properties in Windows as well).

Questions by KazeoHin would be helpful to have answers to.

However, with the monitor that you have, it will default to 30Hz. You've got to dig into its menus and make sure that DP is set to 1.2 and that you're actually pushing 60Hz to the screen (you may also have to tweak the monitor properties in Windows as well).

Jesus there are a lot of GPU editors. :D (Seriously, I just noticed there was a third one.)

Good points though.

-Farcry 3 and 4, Trine 2 and 3, Red faction armageddon
-Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 88Khz 60hz
-Using DVI dual
-Background (evga precision x, AVG free, dropbox, Steam, cyberpower battery backup, Gforce experience)
-Installed windows about 2 yrs ago (Win 7)
-16GB (2x8)

How do i tell if it is actually running at 30hz and not 60? Should i be using display port instead?

Last edited:
-Using DVI dual
-Background (evga precision x, AVG free, dropbox, Steam, cyberpower battery backup, Gforce experience)
-16GB (2x8)

How do i tell if it is actually running at 30hz and not 60? Should i be using display port instead?

The Dual Link DVI should be fine, so long as its ACTUALLY dual-link DVI. DVI-D and Dual-Link DVI are NOT the same thing.

The best way to test if your monitor is running properly is (in windows 7) to go to screen resolution, click on 'advanced settings' and in the pop-up window: check the 'monitor' tab, and it should give you a range of refresh rates to apply.

Let us know what you see.

Jesus there are a lot of GPU editors. :D (Seriously, I just noticed there was a third one.)

Good points though.

I've only been around for 3.5 years. Still recruiting more from what I understand :D

-Using DVI dual
-16GB (2x8)

Of course, I was thinking you had the PB279Q, which is the 4k screen we use for our evaluations. I don't have direct experience with your monitor. For refresh rates, looking at the monitor's property in device manager may show you. Though, using DVI, that eliminates the DP variables....

Have you tried running in single card mode? A single 980Ti should be able to max out all of those games at 1440p....

The refresh rates available are 59 and 60hz.

It's the jerkiness i don't like though. I just got Serious sam 3 to be perfect by using Vsync and not changing any of the "ultra" settings (you can even go higher)

Are there any games out there that i would need 2 cards with my monitor? Also as i said before i would love to get a 144hz (with gsync if i can afford it now)

The issues you're seeing could be related to vsync in those games. Judder seen at a consistent interval while rotating/panning is a giveaway for it.

Try using a framerate limiter set to 60.

Experiment with toggling vsync options in NVCP.

I upgraded to gsync and escaped that hell.

Serious Sam 3 has trouble running SLI with my Titans, sometimes one drops out or runs at lower clocks for some reason.

Vsync is your friend if you can push the FPS above 60. I know with certain monitors, 59hertz (which is actually 59.997Hz) is SMOOTHER than perfect 60, I have a TV that has this attribute. I know that 60FPS feels nice and smooth for me, but I can DEFINITELY feel the difference with 144Hz, perhaps you are more sensitive.

It could also be your mouse. If you just have your character walk forward without moving your mouse, does the screen still encounter jutter/jerkiness?

I see you run evga precision x, do you use the hardware monitoring ? because it gives me stutter if I'm using it.

Seems like its not that rare of a problem from the google search I did about it.

Yes I use it for monitoring. I prefer the layout over afterburner. Also afterburner says I have 41gigs of video ram and my ram speed is 500mhz rofl

vsync is only smooth if you can maintain your frame rate above 60 AT ALL TIMES. Otherwise, it will drop you down to 30fps for those momentary lapses, which you see as stuttering.

Turn on Adaptive Vsync. For the 99% of the time, it will act like you have Vsync on - no tearing. And when you have one of these momentary lapses, you'll see a little tearing, but the frame rate will not drop down to 30 Hz. It will display the frames as fast as it can. And once it climbs back to 60hz you get your vsync back again!
!

Far Cry 3 in particular has microstutter issues with SLI, at least it did with my time using GTX 970 SLI and GTX 780 SLI.

I would recommend changing V-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel to Adaptive. This will globally override any game setting and only apply V-Sync when the game's framerate reaches the chosen refresh rate of the monitor.
Yes I use it for monitoring. I prefer the layout over afterburner. Also afterburner says I have 41gigs of video ram and my ram speed is 500mhz rofl
You're not running both at the same time, are you? If you switched to EVGA Precision X I would make sure that Afterburner isn't still starting automatically with your PC. Using multiple tuning and/or monitoring software at the same time will cause issues.

Disable SLI and see if that helps. SLI and Crossfire work well but sometimes, problems can creep up.

I already posted something about this like 2 months ago. How i fixed it? i replaced the 980ti with a fury x, and the 970mini with a Nano...

I already posted something about this like 2 months ago. How i fixed it? i replaced the 980ti with a fury x, and the 970mini with a Nano...

Which is no fix at all if you want to run 4k like I do. :rolleyes: :p I an a Hugh AMD fan but, I was not going to replace my case just so I could fit an R9 Fury in it. Fury X would not fit because I use an Noctua NH-D15 installed.

I notice you have an H100i and an AX1200. I have both myself. I don't allow monitoring software while playing games anymore. I have ASUS AI Suite 3 uninstalled, Corsair Link Uninstalled; I do use Afterburner.

The polling could cause some stuttering. I've seen it with ASUS AI Suite 3 and I uninstalled Corsair's software just the same.

Also, GTX 980 Ti doesn't seem to work well in Win 7 for me. That's a controversial statement, I'd go with the upgrade to Win 10. I've been gaming with it and I love it.

And another controversial statement, go with a g-sync monitor. My Acer 4K g-sync has been outstanding. 60 FPS with g-sync is almost as smooth as 120hz. And for the coup d-gras,
no more IPS monitors. They have high input lag and response time; if you're trying to smooth out your gaming as much as possible, I have to two TN g-sync monitors and I love em both.

I have a Korean IPS 1440p that I use as an accessory monitor. No way I can game with it now. It just looks stuttery.

If you have two 980 Tis, you might as well get two monitors. One IPS for light gaming and movies and such and one for pure gaming.

*oh and time to upgrade that CPU. I would want more cores and a better OC for GTX 980 Ti SLi. A lot of little things make gaming smoother, sometimes it's not just one quick fix.

Last edited:
Which is no fix at all if you want to run 4k like I do. :rolleyes: :p I an a Hugh AMD fan but, I was not going to replace my case just so I could fit an R9 Fury in it. Fury X would not fit because I use an Noctua NH-D15 installed.

I ran a 4k freesync monitor...

I notice you have an H100i and an AX1200. I have both myself. I don't allow monitoring software while playing games anymore. I have ASUS AI Suite 3 uninstalled, Corsair Link Uninstalled; I do use Afterburner.

The polling could cause some stuttering. I've seen it with ASUS AI Suite 3 and I uninstalled Corsair's software just the same.

Also, GTX 980 Ti doesn't seem to work well in Win 7 for me. That's a controversial statement, I'd go with the upgrade to Win 10. I've been gaming with it and I love it.

And another controversial statement, go with a g-sync monitor. My Acer 4K g-sync has been outstanding. 60 FPS with g-sync is almost as smooth as 120hz. And for the coup d-gras,
no more IPS monitors. They have high input lag and response time; if you're trying to smooth out your gaming as much as possible, I have to two TN g-sync monitors and I love em both.

I have a Korean IPS 1440p that I use as an accessory monitor. No way I can game with it now. It just looks stuttery.

If you have two 980 Tis, you might as well get two monitors. One IPS for light gaming and movies and such and one for pure gaming.

*oh and time to upgrade that CPU. I would want more cores and a better OC for GTX 980 Ti SLi. A lot of little things make gaming smoother, sometimes it's not just one quick fix.

IPS monitors have some a long way since the days of those "overclockable Korean panels". You should check out TFTCentral's review of the XB270HU.

IPS monitors have some a long way since the days of those "overclockable Korean panels". You should check out TFTCentral's review of the XB270HU.

yeah I've gamed with many Dells IPS and a few korean. My U3011- unbelievable color and kept me warm in the winter. What a great monitor that was. I wouldn't trade it for my 4K TN g-sync tho.

If you don't know what you're missing, you aren't sensitive to it. But once you've seen how smooth g-sync/TN is... I can sacrifice color.

And the new gaming g-sync IPS are looking better; I guess that's the best trade-off if you want better color and smoothness. I might try one.

There's just no reason to not have a g-sync monitor if you have a high-end NV video card., esp. for SLI. It really is good tech.

Some games work better with Adaptive vsync but most it makes no difference. I NEVER dip below 60 on anything with these cards so thats not an issue. Trine 3 for example no matter what i do (1 card or 2, vsync off or on or adaptive) still feels choppy most of the time.
I got Metro 2033 MAXED out using adaptive and its beautiful! Can use up to 65% of each card at times though. Is 4Ghz good for this cpu or would it matter if i OC it more?
I just really wonder if a Gsync monitor will fix this stutter.

yeah I've gamed with many Dells IPS and a few korean. My U3011- unbelievable color and kept me warm in the winter. What a great monitor that was. I wouldn't trade it for my 4K TN g-sync tho.

If you don't know what you're missing, you aren't sensitive to it. But once you've seen how smooth g-sync/TN is... I can sacrifice color.

And the new gaming g-sync IPS are looking better; I guess that's the best trade-off if you want better color and smoothness. I might try one.

There's just no reason to not have a g-sync monitor if you have a high-end NV video card., esp. for SLI. It really is good tech.

Honestly with response times like these, I really don't think TN panels have too much of an advantage unless they're significantly cheaper or the only option available. I mean just compare the XB270HU with the ROG Swift:

response_5.png

TFTCentral said:
The response time performance of the XB270HU was very impressive indeed. It's the first 144Hz capable IPS-type panel on the market so it needed to be able to deliver when it comes to pixel response times. With an average G2G figure of 5.5ms measured, it was much faster than any other IPS panel we have seen to date, at best reaching down to 8.6ms without introducing a lot of overshoot (Dell U2415). It was pushing past some TN Film screens even like the Samsung U28D590D (7ms G2G average). It wasn't quite as fast as pure gaming TN Film models like the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (2.9ms) and BenQ XL2720Z (3.8ms) although those models did show a moderate level of overshoot so it's debatable which is better. It was just really pleasing to see IPS response times reach this low and without any sign of overshoot problems as well.

Well, I have installed a 980 Ti with the latest driver in Windows 10 Pro. Very smooth at 4k so far. However, I am running on a Samsung 4k 28 inch TN panel monitor.

Well, I have installed a 980 Ti with the latest driver in Windows 10 Pro. Very smooth at 4k so far. However, I am running on a Samsung 4k 28 inch TN panel monitor.

Able to get 60fps with 1?

What's the polling rate on your mouse? Try the games giving you issues with a controller and see if the problem persists.

Low hz/polling rate mice can cause stutter-like issues at high fps.

What's the polling rate on your mouse? Try the games giving you issues with a controller and see if the problem persists.

Low hz/polling rate mice can cause stutter-like issues at high fps.

1000hz. CM storm spawn. It's not the issue but thx for helping :) It's not all games, just certain ones. Guess ill have to play with individual settings till i get a G-sync monitor.

Any recommendations?

It's a matter of perspective. I way a mainly console gamer for a long time, and 30fps felt totally natural to me. I got a good rig ~1 year ago and the 30->60 fps transition was jaw dropping, but I slowly got used to it. Now if i pick up a 30fps console game if feels WAY too slow.
I could totally see the same thing happening to people who have had 90hz+ monitors going back down to lower fps.

If that's not the case here, then just imagine it's a controller thing as mentioned before.

For me it came down to in game settings. Some games don't like certain settings (which sucks)

Am I the only one who isn't even happy with 60FPS? When did that become a benchmark. I want >90FPS in BF4 and in CS:GO, I prefer >200.

As do i but i just spent $1800 on video cards. 144hz monitor comes next maybe with Gsync :)

I've occasionally tried gaming on other systems, and I can definitely say that on some lower configurations, FRAPS can be reporting >60FPS but still feel much more janky than it does on my main desktop, even using the same monitor.

Not sure why that is.

mainly frame pacing. High frame rates do not guarantee equal frame rate. individual frames can vary wildly. Generally this is the judder some notice, depending on whether one is susceptible to such things. You can have each odd frame at 10ms and the evens at 22ms. This would give you 60FPS just as having each and every frame at 16ms. Difference is some of those 10ms frames get posted twice whereas some of the 22ms may not get posted at all. This is what we see with the frame capture FCAT and why Fraps isn't always indicative of REAL FPS.

Back