Gamepad play on your PC........

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
I'm fighting the GOOD FIGHT and refusing to buy a console. Lots of good reason not to. I built my son a pretty descent gaming rig with good performance at the 1280x1024; the highest resolution his monitor support. Now that he is old enough to hang out at his buddies house this is what I'm hearing". "They have one of those Xbox games and you can play 2 players at once! They don't need a keyboard an mouse; they have controllers."

Well heck; you can do that with PC games but it isn't exactly an easy exercise. Since PCs are the red-haired stepchild to consoles in the game developer's eyes many of the ports suffer in the graphics department but they do keep the gamepad support. Great, USB gamepads are cheap. Whooa, but the support is for Xbox controllers at around $40 each. Screw that.
I did some research and there is some emulation software calls x360ce.
I ordered some relative inexpensive logitech controllers in hopes of getting this emulation working. Ordered a pair of these, Logitech F-310
logitech-gamepad-f310.png

Anyone gone this route also?
What kind of results do you have with x360ce and getting the emulation to work correctly?
I'm guessing this should work with about any games that offers gamepad support right?

I just went with the Wireless Xbox 360 Controller and receiver for my setup.
$43, wireless, Plug and Play in Windows 7, can be used on the Xbox 360 if you have one.

wired ones look like $30 each at Amazon.

Let us know how those Logitech controllers work out.

I use a 360 controller; one wired, one wireless.

I would also be suprised if that controller you linked didn't have some sort of 360 emulation mode. I had a logitech chillstream that looked very similar, and when plugged in, it would be recognized as a 360 controller. It should work out of the box for most games...

I use my Mini Pro

41wVf320uHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You'll notice it's a cross between a PS3 and a Xbox controller. Frankly I love it. It's corded. I switch back and forth between my PC and xbox 360. I don't have to dick around with Emulation because 90% of the games I've tried recognize the controls automatically. I'm starting to think most games are ported from the xbox 360 version but I'm just guessing from experience.

You can find it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Pro-EX-Controller-Xbox-360/dp/B005761CFO

for whatever reason the retail is only $30 so buying it online only saves you a buck or two.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What kind of results do you have with x360ce and getting the emulation to work correctly?
I'm guessing this should work with about any games that offers gamepad support right?
It works perfect with some games, but I had issues with Batman: Arkham Asylum. Gave up on the Logitech and bought a wired Xbox 360 controller. I find it to be a better controller over the Logitech one and is clearly more compatible.

the F310 has integrated xInput support (as well as directInput, you can switch) so you don't need an emulator with it.

Most PC games are built with full DirectX support which includes mapping for DirectInput, that allows you connect almost any game pad and configure/calibrate it in windows, then have that work in game.

Some gamepads aren't compatible with DirectInput out of the box and require specific drivers, I'm not familiar with the Xbox360 but with my PS3 the controllers have drivers available by 3rd party developers motionjoy and that turns them into a standard DirectInput compatible controller which means they basically work with most DirectX games.

In fact it seems after some basic research that DirectInput was superseded for Xbox controllers specifically with Xinput, funnily enough I think that makes Xbox controller support more sparse because the controller specifically uses Xinput where as DirectInput is more general and inherently more worth supporting.

Whatever controls work for whatever game you want to play it's all good. For some types of games I prefer a controller. Most of the time it's KBM, though.

That's the beauty of a PC, though: You have the choice. :)

Sounds like way too much trouble and money invested when you could have just got your kid an Xbox, plugged it in and let him play with his friends. Whats fighting the good fight mean? Whats wrong with consoles?

How much time have you wasted building this machine and trying your best to make it like a console instead of just saving money/time and buying a console? lol

Sounds like way too much trouble and money invested when you could have just got your kid an Xbox, plugged it in and let him play with his friends. Whats fighting the good fight mean? Whats wrong with consoles?

How much time have you wasted building this machine and trying your best to make it like a console instead of just saving money/time and buying a console? lol

Apparently you don't have kids.
But simply put like this.
When you go to Wal-mart and see the fat little kids piled up front of the game display case, screaming and jumping up and down because they wanted the latest $50 game; that isn't my kid.
On average we score games for less than $10. We hit the "super sale weekends" on Steams sometimes and get some killer deals. Many times the same title as an Xbox game at a fraction of the price.
His PC is a Athlon II x2 3Ghz. Radeon 6570 video card. It kicks ass for not being a high dollar rig. And if that is not enough MoJo; can always up grade the card, CPU etc.
Try that with an Xbox.

Oh, BTW, and all this time my son is building valuable skills using a PC. I am glad to see he actually wants to learn the how and why of computer at the age of 7. Questions like "what is a driver, and what does it do?" are great teaching opportunities. When he is ready for a job that requires some skills; done deal.
Show me an Xbox kid with the same.
My nephew is a good example. Nothing but a game player with his Xbox. Computer skills? Nada.

I'm fighting the GOOD FIGHT and refusing to buy a console.

...something something....

Whooa, but the support is for Xbox controllers at around $40 each. Screw that.

1) I don't own any consoles anymore, but there's no "good fight" to be fought. Tons of great console games, and they have their advantages. This isn't the civil rights movement.

2) Xbox 360 controllers can be had for $30 if you're looking at the wired versions. They have the highest compatibility rate with PC games, and in many cases the button icons for the Xbox 360 controller will actually appear on the monitor if it detects that you have it plugged in. Seriously, if we're just talking about a ~$30 piece of hardware, it's best not to cheap out here.

I use an Afterglow Wired 360 controller. I got it at Target for $20 in the clearance aisle a while back. I don't game much on the PC but it has worked without issues for the games I have played. FIFA 12, Skyrim, and Street Fighter IV.

You install it using the same drivers for XBOX 360 controllers.

1) I don't own any consoles anymore, but there's no "good fight" to be fought. Tons of great console games, and they have their advantages. This isn't the civil rights movement.
Well as far as what I mean; Fighting "the good fight" is keeping the faith according to the apostle Paul.
Funny this phrase it always equated to some kind of social movement but here it is:
2nd Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
St. Paul in his letter to his associate Timothy is letting him know that the time to go before the Roman emperor is at hand and likely he won't live through it.
True, Nero was bloodthirsty and hated Christians. Likely Paul was beheaded at his trial.

(queue the patriotic music)
I'm a PC gamer; and so will my son be. I don't need a console because I can do it better and with less expensive and more options (freedom) with a PC. In fact I had this conversation with my Son because his friends gave him a puzzled look when said he didn't have a Wii, xbox or PS2; he games on a PC.
I asked him "Do you think the games are worth $30, or 40, or 50 bucks each?" He said "NO, they are maybe worth maybe 5 bucks".
I said "That's my boy! That is why we game on a PC." :D
2) Xbox 360 controllers can be had for $30 if you're looking at the wired versions. They have the highest compatibility rate with PC games, and in many cases the button icons for the Xbox 360 controller will actually appear on the monitor if it detects that you have it plugged in. Seriously, if we're just talking about a ~$30 piece of hardware, it's best not to cheap out here.

True, I scanned some internet prices and saw the wired controller in the $30-40 dollar range. But I'm against giving Microsoft money if I can help it, so I went with Logitech.
But I think we will be fine.

Last edited:
I use a wired XBOX360 controller whenever needed. All the ones made specifically for PC just seem cheap and don't work as well imo.

I use a wired XBOX360 controller whenever needed. All the ones made specifically for PC just seem cheap and don't work as well imo.

Yes, I never bought 3rd party video game controllers back when I owned consoles.

The Xbox 360 controller is the "unofficial" prime controller for the PC. Microsoft ties the controller to the Windows OS so seemlessly. You just plug it in and it auto-detects and installs the controller hassle-free. The best part is that the on-screen button icons within some games actually change to that of the Xbox 360 controller (like Batman AA and Batman AC). That alone is worth it. Not to mention that the Xbox 360 controller is regarded as the best controller of all time more often than any other.

I will always recommend it for PC users far above anything else.

My logitech gamepad worked OK for about 6 months, then started to do random analog stick movements in-game. If I had to do it over again I'd pick a 360 controller.

I use the X360 controller, though I don't really like it that much and often get confused with the buttons. I much prefer the Playstation-style controller from a layout standpoint, but the 360 controller seems to have better support, thus why I use it.

I should also say that I went through loads of those Logitech controllers. The damn things always turned wonky on me.

The Logitech F310 has a toggle switch on the back for switching between Xinput and D(irect)Input. When toggled to Xinput, the gamepad is recognized as an xbox360 controller by Windows, and is virtually identical to using an actual xbox360 controller. Switching it to D(irect)input makes Windows recognize it as any old USB gamepad/joystick.

This allows you to get the best of both worlds. Switch it to Xinput before firing up any game that uses it, and you're all set. As others have mentioned, many modern games support Xinput, and some will automatically change the menu options and map controls to the xbox360 controller layout. It should also be said that many of these games also do not play very well Direct Input-only gamepads (mainly shitty console ports - Darksiders, I'm talking about you here)

For older games that don't support Xinput, just switch it to Dinput and map your buttons in-game manually. Or use one of this nifty gamepad-mapping programs like Xpadder to map keyboard and mouse commands to the gamepad buttons, which opens up a whole world of awesome stuff you can do. Playing WoW with a gamepad is.......interesting. :)

Personally, I prefer the PlayStation Dualshock-inspired (er....copied) layout of the Logitech F310 compared to the Xbox360 controller. Though the Xbox360 controller wins handily in build quality (you'll probably go through 2-3 of any Logitech contollers before you need to replace a single Xbox360 one), I've always found it mildly annoyhing that it's nigh-impossible to use the d-pad with your left hand without having to lift your thumb off the analog stick. That's not a problem with the Logitech and other Dualshock clones, as you can use your pointer finger for the d-pad and thumb for the analog stick simultaneously.

Though you pretty can't get either of these anymore, I've been using an $8 Radio Shack PS1->USB adapter for the past ~10 years with a PS1 Dualshock controller that came with the PS One revision. This combo has been absolutely rock-solid for me for all this time, except for those few modern (shitty) console ports that don't work with anything but an Xinput controller (once again, screw you Darksiders).

Last edited:
I favor either....

1.Xbox 360 controllers - These days, Xbox360 controllers with their XInput standard work well on the PC and many games that support controllers at all, have built in support for them. On Win7 they're pretty much plug+play and they don't need much in the way of drivers. In addition, you can even use an Xbox360 headset (wired, plugging into the controller or wireless if you have the wireless dongle) for communication too! They even work well on Linux these days! You can of course use any X360 compatible controller, but the following are my favorites

A. Wireless - Since MS doesnt' allow 3rd parties to make wireless controllers, all the best wireless options are official controllers. Remember that you need the USB wireless receiver dongle to use these controllers. The official ones say "Microsoft" on the top of them, NOT "Xbox 360" - those are knockoffs last I checked and have signal and reliability issues. You can use any controller, but if you don't already have an Xbox360, I suggest getting one of the "Silver Edition" controllers. These new versions have a dual-mode DPad (one is more rounded like most x360 pads, the other makes the cardinal directions more prominent) and black/white/gray buttons instead of colored ones. Picking one up along with a Play+Charge kit (With rechargeable battery and USB charge cable. Note, the USB cable charges ONLY - no data connection) is a good move. Unfortunately, the "for PC" bundle of a dongle and controller only comes with the "older" version of the controller, not the dual-mode Dpad
B. Wired - Lots of options here, including official MS X360 pads and many 3rd parties. Less expensive than wireless and don't require the dongle nor battery packs. Many feel the best 3rd party option is the Razer Onza TE, which has an "extra" set of triggers, and low profile buttons, plus a new style Dpad and options for stick resistance. There are also 'specialty" controllers like the Mad Catz FightPads that offer "6 button grid" for fighting games and the awesome FightStick Tournament Editions with real Sanwa Denshi parts, great for arcade gaming, emulation, and fighters..

2. Logitech F710 gamepad - If you prefer the PlayStation layout, but want to have your controller detected as an Xbox360 pad, look no further! The F710 is the top of the line Logi gamepad, and it supports both DirectInput (older style, direct key mapping with lots of functionality but you'll need programs like X360ce or Xpadder) and XInput (X360 detection, no other programs needed if the game supports the X360 controller natively!) modes, is wireless via included Logitech USB minidongle, and offers rumble options. Runs on standard batteries too! Get the best of both worlds for an affordable price, if you like the Play Station style "both sticks in the middle" setup.

3. Dual Shock 3 Playstation 3 Controller - If you have a PS3 or just want the "original", its possible to use your PS3 controller on the PC, but it will take some work since Sony refuses to create nice, user friendly drivers. The hardware itself is nice as it has built in lith-ion battery charging and control via USB, as well as wireless via Bluetooth. It SHOULD be the most easy to use, non-proprietary controller if it wasn't for Sony. However, you will need a 3rd party unofficial driver for it to work - go to www.motioninjoy.com and grab the latest version. Refer to the wiki; thankfully by now the experience is relatively polished and the Motion In Joy drivers can even spoof the system into detecting your DS3 as an X360 controller if you want it to. Remember you'll need a bluetooth dongle that is SOLELY DEDICATED to your DS3 w/MiJ drivers if you want to use the controller via Bluetooth; you can't use any other devices via the same bluetooth receiver while MiJ is active, so if you have need of a headset, mouse while you use your controller etc.... I suggest buying a USB Bluetooth dongle exclusively for MiJ, since they're so cheap today. The Dual Shock 3 hardware is well made and if it wasn't for Sony refusing to make open drivers (or even relatively open APIs and windows drivers compatible with XInput) it would be a great first choice for those who don't like the X360 controller setup for any reason, but because of the technical nature of getting MotionInJoy to work I suggest only technical users go for this option and leave others to the Logitech F710 which is more user friendly though has a different "feel".

Hope this helps!

(queue the patriotic music)

True, I scanned some internet prices and saw the wired controller in the $30-40 dollar range. But I'm against giving Microsoft money if I can help it, so I went with Logitech.
But I think we will be fine.

You mean "cue" the music?

So if you're using Windows, which clearly you are since you play Steam games, how are you doing so without giving Microsoft money? :rolleyes: Why do you not want to do so, anyway, if they have a product that would work for you?

-----

I love my X360 controller (USB) for use with my PC. Once I'm using my projector to game through for racing/fighting games (I plan to soon), I have a wireless version (for PC) that I got as well. :D While keyboard/mouse is ideal for a good number of games, there are a lot out there that play better with a gamepad as well. Using one on a PC still retains numerous advantages over just grabbing it for a console.

A. Wireless - Since MS doesnt' allow 3rd parties to make wireless controllers, all the best wireless options are official controllers. Remember that you need the USB wireless receiver dongle to use these controllers. The official ones say "Microsoft" on the top of them, NOT "Xbox 360" - those are knockoffs last I checked and have signal and reliability issues. You can use any controller, but if you don't already have an Xbox360, I suggest getting one of the "Silver Edition" controllers.

The original official wireless receivers would frequently blow a fuse. This is one of the few cases where the official product did worse than the cheap Chinese knockoffs. I'd presume they have since fixed the issue, but it's something to keep in mind when making a purchasing decision.

I looked at the logitech Controller and would probably like it but I like the 360's stick placement more. Still the switch would be probably nicer then switching drivers everytime I want to play games that don't support XInput.

360 controller is a rip off don't support Microsoft's bullshit. No rechargeable battery's or cable to charge and a need for a proprietary wireless. Just get a ps3 controller and motion joy and a $2 Bluetooth USB and your set. Played 3 players in blur on one Bluetooth adapter with no problems and the amount of customization is awesome. I can play mgs3 in pcsx2 with pressure sensitive buttons that's not easily accomplished with a 360 controller.

My nephew is 4 and we built him his own pc when he was 3. Amd x3, 4gb, gt240, win 7
He is very good with the keyboard and mouse playing fps and RPGs games. He is also surprisingly good with the Xbox controller.

diego-pc.jpg

I think consoles are good for kids who want to play with friends. That's why I bought an N64, not because of the awesome games, incredible graphics and innovative controller (although it is still my favourite controller :p). A large part of the reason I HAVEN'T bought a current gen console is simply because I don't have too many friends around my house these days, we mostly don't live near each other so go out elsewhere instead of coming to my house. But if I was still in school or back in the days when I could walk to my friends' houses, I'd still be a console gamer.

Anyway, with controllers, I just bought an MS controller. I actually bought both a wired one and a wireless one. I found buying controllers labelled as "PC controllers" from PC hardware shops was significantly cheaper than getting them from actual console selling places, but maybe that's just coz I'm in Australia. They're pretty good quality, so I didn't mind paying a bit more for them. Every time I've bought cheap PC controllers in the past they've felt cheap compared to their more expensive console cousins. Maybe things have changed and the cheap controllers are better quality these days, I dunno.

One suggestion I'll make is if you do go with a MS controller, don't bother with a wireless one. It's a pain in the arse. For most games the controller has to be switched on before the game starts for it to register the controller, so even if you leave the dongle plugged in you have to turn on the controller BEFORE you start the game. That might not sound like much of a hassle, but the number of times I've started a game and gone "oh shit I wanted to play this with a controller" and had to restart it is actually quite large :p Then for other games where you want to flip between controller and mouse, if you don't use the wireless controller for a certain amount of time it switches off to save battery and often when you turn it back on the game won't recognise it, requiring another restart.

You mean "cue" the music?

So if you're using Windows, which clearly you are since you play Steam games, how are you doing so without giving Microsoft money? :rolleyes: Why do you not want to do so, anyway, if they have a product that would work for you?

Queue or cue. You are right; cue, means to trigger an event.

Personally I have no use for a windows box except to play games. I use Linux for everything else. For what I do I needed rock solid stability; windows didn't provide that.
The PC in question is a WinXP DX9 machine. It seems the Xinput isn't support. Windows sees the USB device; but can't come up with a driver. There didn't seem to be an Xinput driver on the CD that came with the game pad.
Switching to D input, and it saw the controllers as dual action game pads. Now they work find through x360ce.
But I will have to do some digging why Xinput isn't showing up on XP.

My nephew is 4 and we built him his own pc when he was 3. Amd x3, 4gb, gt240, win 7
He is very good with the keyboard and mouse playing fps and RPGs games. He is also surprisingly good with the Xbox controller.
Cool.
My son started on a ancient Pentium 4 with a Radeon9800 AGP video card when he was about 3.
His favorite game was Dungeon Siege. He called it "beat" because you ran around and beat up the monsters. LOL!
The really cool thing was on old games like this it has 2 player LAN. I loaded it on my laptop and my son could play with while ole Dad by his side. Lots of fun.
Too bad the wife doesn't like computer games. Would have been fun to have all three of us adventuring.
My son's favorite is RTS games. He loved StarCraft but we finally upgraded to his present systems so he could play Supreme Commander II in all is graphic goodies maxed.

Last edited:
Back