Gamefly... or should I say USPS?

Raines8416

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had gamefly for a about 9 months now. I love it. But so far 2 games never made it to me. The first time it happened with GRAW as soon as it came out, now it happened again with Double Agent. Does anyone else have problems with games not getting to them?

Getting to me...usually no. Getting back to them. Yes. I've had 2 games that were never received by them. No idea why.

Sounds like someone in the USPS has sticky fingers. I had this issue with netflix and they caught the person that was doing it.

I hate the USPS, we should do away with it and quit wasting tax money.

Eihli said:

I have reasons for and against this:

For:
save paper for things like credit card/bank statements, spam, etc

save fuel/gas money, oil consumption

save stamp and delivery charges

Against:
Some people like your parents or grandparents don't have computers for email, myspace, digital photos.

It would put a LOT of people out of jobs.

The world is not ready for an entire transition from paper/analog delivery, i.e.USPS, to digital email and online accounts yet, and it might take a LONG time for people to adapt to that.

I think the postal service will last for a long time to come. It's not going anywhere.

And I love Netflix. Don't have to download HUGE amounts of data for DVD quality. And you go to your mailbox and drop off and get new DVDs in the mail!

Eihli said:

Take a look at what they really do sometime.

Then look at what would have to be done if they weren't around.

Don't be so quick to attack them.

General Crespin said:
Take a look at what they really do sometime.

Then look at what would have to be done if they weren't around.

Don't be so quick to attack them.

QFT

USPS is way, WAY better in every way than UPS, and about on par with FedEx from my experiences with them. If I have a choice on shipping PC hardware or anything, i'd make em' ship it USPS if its an option, because UPS just flat out sucks.

polive said:
The world is not ready for an entire transition from paper/analog delivery, i.e.USPS, to digital email and online accounts yet, and it might take a LONG time for people to adapt to that.
I'd love to see the internet deliver a package to my door...
Shlomo said:
USPS is way, WAY better in every way than UPS, and about on par with FedEx from my experiences with them. If I have a choice on shipping PC hardware or anything, i'd make em' ship it USPS if its an option, because UPS just flat out sucks.
QFT

Yeah, if we didn't have USPS, there would be a lot of trouble. UPS sucks, I ordered a 7900gt over the summer, and instead of walking up to the porch and setting it there, they set the package on top of an open garbage can that was 1/4 filled w/ water in front of my garage :eek: ! I'm just glad it didn't fall in...

Eihli said:
USPS is self supporting, it uses no tax dollars, I dont know the all details but it is also no longer even considered part of the goverment, even tho it is still regulated by the goverment and some things are still considered Goverment.
In fact it is probably the only fedral agency that makes a profit!

USPS is freaking money in comparison to UPS.

I've only had 2 incidences with USPS as far as damage, and I think in one case the buyer may have been BS'ing because he decided he didn't want the item, because it worked fine when I got it back. The other incident involved a poster I ordered, the tube showed up like it had been bent over a knee. Thats pretty good considering I've probably shipped over 250 packages in the last 4 years. Never had anything come up missing during shipping.

The only time I suggest anyone ships UPS is when they don't care how the package arrives to the buyer, those people get evil on those boxes. I've never shipped with them, but I often get things shipped to me, and it shows up looking like someone ran into with a forklift or played soccer with it.

While in LA I had this happen to me a few times with USPS.

Instead of knocking on my door or even trying to get the package to me, they simply put a note on my door stating that I wasnt home and the package will be delivered tomorrow. ?!?!?!? My desk was not more then 15ft away from the door, theres no way I could have missed a knock (didnt have a doorbell).

It happened three times and all three times I ended up going to my local USPS office to pick up my package.

qbert3 said:
While in LA I had this happen to me a few times with USPS.

Instead of knocking on my door or even trying to get the package to me, they simply put a note on my door stating that I wasnt home and the package will be delivered tomorrow. ?!?!?!? My desk was not more then 15ft away from the door, theres no way I could have missed a knock (didnt have a doorbell).

It happened three times and all three times I ended up going to my local USPS office to pick up my package.
I think you should get a doorbell because they think knocking the door is useless so they don't bother.

in my experience USPS is run extremely well. if anyone is stealing its likely your local route guy. mine sucks. he doesnt want to take my blockbuster movies. he will actually leave one on the porch and take the other two just to piss me off. so now i have to always drop-off the movies in a real mailbox, and he will still put the new ones in my box.

since i stopped putting them in my mailbox for outgoing, i noticed i was also getting my movies back MUCH quicker. im pretty sure he was holding them for a day to copy himself. living in the getto sucks, nobody cares about anything.

just to let you guys know usps outsources some of their priority mail packages to ups.

in a pinch any of the delivery services will help eachother. im not sure who does business with eachother more often, but i wouldnt be surprised if it is usps and ups.

USPS is my second choice right behind Fedex. In my opinion Fedex is the best run delivery service ever! They always get me my stuff at least a day early, and my local guy (at least for air service, the ground guy i do not see very often) is great, he will come back if i leave a note on the door saying i will not be home till such a time, and he will if it is raining wrap my package in plastic and make sure rain cannot get to it.

USPS if it does not fit in my mailbox they get very hostile that they have to get out of the vehicle, but they are usually pretty good, much faster shipping than UPS. My local person is usually pretty nice, she gets really pissed off though when i ship heavy stuff from my house, and do not take it to the branch office.

UPS is the WORST shipper in the history of the world. If it was not at least $10 cheaper to ship with them from Newegg than i would never ship with them. The guy leaves my packages in front of my garage, exposed to all the weather and people, while he could just leave it on my porch where it is covered. Sometimes he wont even stop by my house on the given day if he is running late, but will count it as a delivery attempt. Right now i live in Michigan and i have a package scheduled to be delivered today that is sitting in CA still.... WTF!

I hate UPS...

S1N3R6Y said:
just to let you guys know usps outsources some of their priority mail packages to ups.
No, they use FedEx aircraft in return for allowing FedEx to place dropboxes next to USPS dropboxes. All your Express Mail/some Priority Mail flies on FedEx 727Fs. Excellent for both parties.

Way I see it, UPS is great only if your company has a huge contract with them (e.g., they use 'em for everything. Nevertheless, my company still uses FedEx to handle everything). FedEx and USPS are great for regular individuals like ourselves; competitive rates and good service.

I'll use USPS for anything that'll fit in their boxes really, and then FedEx for anything else. Great companies, though in some cases, it does really depend on your locale and the quality of the local USPS/UPS/FedEx personnel.

S1N3R6Y said:

Absolutely not true on the conditional basis that USPS does outsource occasionally, but its not UPS doing actual sorting/delivery, its UPS providing something like a plane. I myself worked at USPS for more than 2 years, and my parents are both career employees. You have absolutely no idea how much mail USPS sorts and ships, I assure you, its stunning in magnitude.

As for the gameflix (or whatever) thing, sometimes those types of packages are missed in the huge piles of mail being sorted, fed thru machines etc. If that happens, quite bluntly, the machine eats it. I would not peg it on someone with sticky fingers so quickly. Most people who work for the post office are career and know full well that stealing mail is a federal crime. When I worked at the post office I took a dollar bill and put it under the napkin holder in the break room. It was still there days later.

Tutelary said:
When I worked at the post office I took a dollar bill and put it under the napkin holder in the break room. It was still there days later.
Nobody would have been postal enough to grab it. Hahaha, get it!

/me smacks himself for a lame postal service joke.

Anyways, I currently am subscribed to Netflix, and haven't had much trouble losing DVDs. Not really interested in Gamefly however...I haven't rented games for a long time. Always either buy 'em new if I know I want them, or snag them used for ~$10 off eBay or something, which is what...only $4 more than renting? :)

Tutelary said:
You have absolutely no idea how much mail USPS sorts and ships, I assure you, its stunning in magnitude.

I agree, it's easy to get pissed off at USPS and the other mail carriers, but what they manage to do is pretty damn impressive. I try to keep that in mind when I get annoyed ;)

Anyways, to get this thread back on-topic, how does gamefly handle lost games?

Yea, I wasnt really complaining or trying to point a finger at some carrier stealing it or anything like that. I was just kinda saying "Man, what are the odds that it happens twice and only a few rentals apart" (I only send back a game maybe once a month. If that.)

Anyway. Gamefly handles them pretty well I guess, meaning they make it easy on you. But there is some bad. Most of the bad is that it takes about 2 weeks before you are playing the game that was lost.

The first thing is you have to wait 7 days. Games get to me usually in two, sometimes only 1 day. When it isnt there on the second I know something is wrong. So then I have to wait several more days before gamefly will allow me to make a report. I click a link in my account next to the games I have out that says "Shipping Problem" then, "Never recieved the game". Confirmation e-mail comes within minutes saying a report has been sent. Then it takes another couple of days before I get another e-mail telling me that the have filed the report and a replacement will be sent out. The only problem was (in both occasions) the game I had coming wasnt in stock, so I had to wait even longer.

For me Netflix started getting really, really fishy when I would send 2/3 DVDs back per envelope, and they'd only receive 1 or 2 of them... I'd be nice and still delay for a week ( or whatever they recommend) before filing a "dvd lost in the mail" report, although I knew they should have it...

I also get tired of mailing multiple dvds back in the same envelope, just to have Netflix/Blockbuster say that they received them back SEVERAL DAYS apart... Baloney... You just don't want to mail out the next dvd for a few days... I remember I called once to let them know they should have blah blah dvd back already, and they said "oh, don't worry, I am sure it'll show up soon..." Yeah, cuz u already have it...

What I think it crap service though is when you receive a cracked disc, report it, mail it back, and ask that they send you another DVD of the SAME title, and they mail you back the same f-ing cracked f-ing disc! F!!!

I also remember at least once that I wanted a title and couldn't get a good copy from either BB/NF... DAMN...

Stories like this make me wish that just downloading content was already here... Do away with all of this mailing crap...

The only bad thing I can say about USPS in regards to NF/BB is DO NOT put your DVDs to return in your mailbox! Use a dropbox, or go to your local USPS and drop them off... (I have a dropbox a half block away, so my postperson just basically refuses to pick them up from my mailbox... never been a delay with the dropbox though... can I really complain about a 100-yard round-trip walk???)

Otherwise, all other delays I have ever experienced I can tell you aren't USPS-related...

Strange, I have never experienced shipping problems with Fedex/UPS, so I can't say anything there (damn, from the sound of it, I must be really, really lucky, as I am talking about almost 20 yrs of experience here...) I would say Fedex POLICIES suck, though... (I hate overnighting something and being told they MUST MUST MUST deliver it, I cannot just come at 8am (the f-ing truck hasn't even left their site yet!) and pick it up, I must WAIT until 5pm for it to be delivered to me... All the arguing that they are wasting their gas and time with this policy has never changed anything...)

I've had confusion occur at the UPS site, but they pretty much bend over backwards to please me in my experience (the last seven yrs, anyway...)

I really don't remember ever receiving a busted item (or witnessing package mishandling) by UPS/Fedex...

I cannot say the same for USPS though...

Sold a computer to someone, shipped it USPS... Not only would they not insure it for more than $500 (think it was $1,500 worth of equipment), but I feared the worst when I received an e-mail from the buyer, and it only contained a jpeg of about 3/4ths of a box, with shipping tape covering the rest of the areas where BOX was supposed to be... The buyer was surprised that nothing appear to be damaged, but he never could make sense of what possibly happened to the box...

I think this policy may have changed, but my other gripe about USPS is that if you are shipping an RMA item, they will NOT insure a "broken" item... They will insure it against if they LOSE the box.... ONLY....

Two reason to not like that policy: 1) if they lose the box, they can just grab ANY box and deliver that... $1 cardboard box vs. paying me $1K in insurance? You get the picture... and 2) they are free to absolutely gang-rape your box, just as long as it reaches its destination...

I will give the USPS clerks credit though for making you aware that they personally don't recommend you return RMA packages through them...

USPS = pretty much the only choice for any military living overseas. For two years in Italy, I used USPS exclusively for shipping to an APO address. Overall, I'm happy with USPS...only incident I've had is when I shipped my computer...still dealing with the claims process. It's hard because I don't have my car here yet. :(

Let's be honest. Have you ever seen someone young working for the USPS?

Me either. Slow. As. Hell.

movax said:
No, they use FedEx aircraft in return for allowing FedEx to place dropboxes next to USPS dropboxes. All your Express Mail/some Priority Mail flies on FedEx 727Fs. Excellent for both parties.

Way I see it, UPS is great only if your company has a huge contract with them (e.g., they use 'em for everything. Nevertheless, my company still uses FedEx to handle everything). FedEx and USPS are great for regular individuals like ourselves; competitive rates and good service.

I'll use USPS for anything that'll fit in their boxes really, and then FedEx for anything else. Great companies, though in some cases, it does really depend on your locale and the quality of the local USPS/UPS/FedEx personnel.

Wrong, USPS just entered a contract with UPS to use their aircraft.

Back