Gamed for 6 hours without fans spinning GTX 1070 in SLI

psy81

Gawd
I gamed for 2 days with both my GPU fans stopped playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider which is rather demanding for a total of 6 hours. The game was crashing on startup and read that it has issues with Precision and Afterburner so I closed Precision when playing not knowing it would stop my fans.

Did I damage my cards? My PC never shutdown, I'm assuming the cards have a safety shutdown feature no?

Last edited:
Probably just thermal throttled and maybe pumped or cooked the paste. I would verify they are stable and proceed changing the thermal paste.

If you were in real danger, the cards would have throttling down to like 100MHz if necessary to keep from self destructing. That, or they would've hard locked. If the cards work fine, they are 99% likely that they are fine. Don't worry.

Depends on utilization of the cards. If the game uses SLI and the performance hit on the cards isn't that much it may never of got hot enough. Videocards will also downclock at certain temps and will run up into the 90 degree area ok.

Well Shadow of the Tomb Raider is pretty demanding and I was playing maxed out but at 1080p locked at 60 FPS in SLI instead of on my 4K monitor so it would be less taxing. I ran some benchmarks and the cards seem fine. Funny thing, this isn't the first time I've done this (by accident). Pascal cards do run cooler than other cards so maybe that worked in my favour. Thanks guys

How are you really sure the fans weren't spinning?.. modern gpus turn off the fans when they are below 60C and they slowly start to spin over that temp.. that's how they tend to behave as default, closing afterburner of precision shouldn't force the fans to stop it would just set the stock fan curve and configuration which its to stop fan below 60C.

How are you really sure the fans weren't spinning?.. modern gpus turn off the fans when they are below 60C and they slowly start to spin over that temp.. that's how they tend to behave as default, closing afterburner of precision shouldn't force the fans to stop it would just set the stock fan curve and configuration which its to stop fan below 60C.

That's an excellent point. I kinda figured it stopped the fans since when I close Precision the fans stopped. I didn't check the fans when I was gaming but you're likely right, the stock fan curve probably kicks in. I also have 2X120mm fans attached to the hard drive cage blowing air at the cards so likely there were no issues in either case. I ran benchmarks last night and cards seemed fine.

Just do a stress test and watch temps. If all looks well you are fine. Gpu’s are much smarter now.

The fans wouldn't stop spinning unless something was broken. The default behavior of the fans is coded into the GPU BIOS. Precision can overwrite that in software, but if you close it and it's not running, the cards will simply default back to the normal operation.

Most cards will shut down the fans under light usage these days for noise reasons.

FWIW the fan on my R9 285 is physically dead - it only spins at 0% or 100%, I think the PWM died - and I have been using it in a media box for 2 years running nearly 24x7 at 80-95C and it still works fine. The fan kicks on at 100% if it goes over 95C and then shuts off, so playing anything that uses the GPU it just sits at 95C continuously.

Yes what he said, closing those apps just sets the stock fan curve.

I had the same issue with my 1080ti and the evga precision software i had a custom fan profile a more agressive one. It would just randomly close it self out(shows up in task bar icons on the right until you mouse over and boom its gone) my fans would stay at 0 during the whole time i was playing pubg and i started getting all choppy went to check my temps and it was closed out, manually launched it and bam 95 Degrees C fans instantly cranked up to 100%.

Basically it did that a few times to me and i stopped using the software and the custom profile for the fan.

I had the same issue with my 1080ti and the evga precision software i had a custom fan profile a more agressive one. It would just randomly close it self out(shows up in task bar icons on the right until you mouse over and boom its gone) my fans would stay at 0 during the whole time i was playing pubg and i started getting all choppy went to check my temps and it was closed out, manually launched it and bam 95 Degrees C fans instantly cranked up to 100%.

Basically it did that a few times to me and i stopped using the software and the custom profile for the fan.

I had this issue too about a year and a half ago when I was setting my own fan profile one of my cards would have its fan stop and than all of a sudden ramp up to like 100%. I resolved it by uninstalling/reinstalling Precision on default (aggressive) fan settings and just leaving it there. It's a miracle my cards are still running. Not a fan of Precision software. I also had to add the thermal pads to my cards during the whole VRM scandal. Still have have 9 months left on my warranty, hopefully I won't ever have to use it.

I always use MSI Afterburner vs EVGA Precision. I have had a better experience with it, and to date I haven't had any issues with the fan curve or custom profiles.

I always use MSI Afterburner vs EVGA Precision. I have had a better experience with it, and to date I haven't had any issues with the fan curve or custom profiles.
Agreed I've tried many times to use precision and always end up going back to AB.

If I play at 1080p60hz, my GPU fans will never turn on. If I play at 4k60 or 1080p180hz, those fans will be running. 1080p60 is only used when I stream to my laptop or tablet via Moonlight.

Back