Game trailers and previews only showing cinematics

This is something that always annoyed me. A new game comes out, and there are one or more videos giving a preview of the game and the videos only show cinematic scenes and not the game itself. I assume they feel that an impressive cinematic would make the viewer think the game either looked like that or was just as impressive, when in fact the game being represented has little or nothing in common with the cinematic scenes. Ugh.

Remember that the publishers are selling games to the gaming press at events like The Game Awards, not the customers. Mainstream gaming press could care less what the actual games are like.

I'm fine with that for early teasers and trailers when the game is still far off. Showing a work in progress can easily backfire, as many features can change by the time it is released and there are people who will look at the finished game and compare it pixel by pixel to a trailer from 2 years ago, and will throw a tantrum if they think somethings is not as good. (including me)

But release trailers or trailers in the last 6 months before release should include gameplay footage.

I'm fine with that for early teasers and trailers when the game is still far off. Showing a work in progress can easily backfire, as many features can change by the time it is released and there are people who will look at the finished game and compare it pixel by pixel to a trailer from 2 years ago, and will throw a tantrum if they think somethings is not as good. (including me)

But release trailers or trailers in the last 6 months before release should include gameplay footage.

are you serious?

Imagine a gameplay trailer in a Cinema/TV Ad or Radio AD, publishers are targeting the average gamer and casuals with CG Trailers as they want to portray the main story.

Non Hardcore gamers don't go to forums/reddit etc to learn about New Games hence the CGI Trailers.

are you serious?

Imagine a gameplay trailer in a Cinema/TV Ad or Radio AD, publishers are targeting the average gamer and casuals with CG Trailers as they want to portray the main story.

Non Hardcore gamers don't go to forums/reddit etc to learn about New Games hence the CGI Trailers.
Serious about what? You don't specify what do you find objectionable. I'm not going to sit here and guess.

your utterly daft complains and demands.
Still no specifics eh? You're a joy to talk to. Almost as if I personally offended your feelings. The only thing I demanded is for game trailers put out closer to release date to include actual in-game footage. What's so unreasonable about that? I didn't say exclusively in-game footage, but some in-game footage.

Back