Game Sales Continue Slide, Fall 25 Percent in March

Not including digital sales makes these numbers less and less accurate over time.

My game buying has seriously tanked. I preordered ME3, Ghost Recon, and a couple others. Then I played ME3 got disillusioned and canceled my preorders. Now I'm back to playing two year old games.

My game buying has seriously tanked. I preordered ME3, Ghost Recon, and a couple others. Then I played ME3 got disillusioned and canceled my preorders. Now I'm back to playing two year old games.

I buy - on average - 1 to 2 full priced new games per year.

Then when steam has their super sales I'll occasionally pick up games at the ~$5 level if I'm curious to check them out.

For new full price titles, my buying looks like this:

In 2010 I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Call of Pripyat and Civilization V.

In 2011 I bought Red Orchestra 2.

Everything else was made up of older titles I paid a pittance for.

Zarathustra[H];1038614835 said:
I wish Valve published steam sales publicly so we could see just how much of an impact they have in the market. I'm willing to bet its huge.

We know from CDProjekt that TW2 sold around 24% of its copies through digital distribution. So if you think digital distribution accounts for around a quarter of PC sales, its still not going to come anywhere near accounting for a 25% drop in overall video game sales.

Lack of big name game releases, (perhaps) mobile gaming and possibly that current consoles are on their last legs so hardware sales would be starting to dry out is more likely to account for the discrepency.

The little time I do have to play games are eaten up by DDO and WoW, skyrim was the last game to come out that I wanted to play and having finished the main story line twice I am 'done' with it.

We know from CDProjekt that TW2 sold around 24% of its copies through digital distribution. So if you think digital distribution accounts for around a quarter of PC sales, its still not going to come anywhere near accounting for a 25% drop in overall video game sales.

Lack of big name game releases, (perhaps) mobile gaming and possibly that current consoles are on their last legs so hardware sales would be starting to dry out is more likely to account for the discrepency.

It's one data point, and there is more to digital distribution than just Steam. lately Amazon has been having VERY good deals on download titles, and likely selling quite a few of them as well.

Not to mention that both Microsoft and Sony operate digital download stores for their consoles...

TW2 is probably a bad example, as they offered a lot of really good DRM-free deals directly, which I think may have skewed the numbers.

Zarathustra[H];1038615491 said:
It's one data point, and there is more to digital distribution than just Steam. lately Amazon has been having VERY good deals on download titles, and likely selling quite a few of them as well.

Not to mention that both Microsoft and Sony operate digital download stores for their consoles...

TW2 is probably a bad example, as they offered a lot of really good DRM-free deals directly, which I think may have skewed the numbers.

Actually that 24% includes all digital distribution, including the DRM-free GOG version as well as the Steam version. Most digital sales were through Steam (roughly 80% of digital sales were Steam, according to their numbers).

It is only 1 data point, but it's the only data point I know about and if anything I would have thought it would have OVER predicted digital sales being a PC exclusive that'd appeal more to the PC enthusiast crowd who has embraced digital distribution rather than the more mainstream gamer and also it had the DRM free GOG version.

The problem is that when someone trying to decide between building/buying a PC and going console, these studies show a dying PC gaming industry. If I was a casual consumer it certainly would stray me.

That's probably the whole point, considering CONsole games have a much higher profit margin and everyone knows the sheep follow the herd.

Why would I buy a new game? World of Warcraft is all I need :)

Long live the Alliance !!

Back