Game of Thrones "The Long Night" S8E3 - Not Too Dark! (Spoiler Free)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Blackstone, May 1, 2019.

1. gan7114

gan7114 Limp Gawd

It's true that HBO doesn't offer 4K HDR, but it has nothing to do with the episode. It comes down to your device(s), and service.

I even compared when I was visiting my parents this past weekend. They own a B8 OLED, and are subbed to HBO through Direct TV (dish, so cable box). But they also own an Apple TV 4K, so I loaded up HBO NOW and used my login.

Episode 3 was a dark, unwatchable mess on their cable box. Like, absolutely terrible. Arya's library scene is a good example. All the library shadows and details were crushed beyond recognition, you could barely see even Arya herself and the Walkers. I then switched over to the Apple TV 4K, and rewatched the library scene. Lots of detail, and shadows aren't crushed. The difference is night and day.

Armenius likes this.
  2. coynatha

coynatha Limp Gawd

Understood. I just took it as he was implying the TV makes all the difference. I think the HBO/Comcast combo shit the bed (their feed, not the hardware). I can't blame the TV (LG C7 OLED) or the Xfinity 4K DVR box, as it's clear they can output outstanding 1080p/4k content.

3. sethk

sethk [H]ard|Gawd

I watched it on my calibrated OLED tv and it looked great. I will now have to check it out on my Sony x900f (only slightly adjusted using test patterns and rtings recommendations) to see if I can spot what people are talking about.

Armenius likes this.
  4. coynatha

coynatha Limp Gawd

The finale had seriously bad banding/blacks/quality in the beginning of the episode, just like Episode 3. It went away about 15 minutes in or so. Comcast 4K Xfinity DVR (~150/15Mbps) on LG C7 OLED.

Oh, and a water bottle. What a shit-show to spend that kind of money and have these kinds of screw-ups. Pretty clear nobody wanted to do the show anymore and just wanted it over with.

Armenius likes this.