Game of Thrones (Telltale Games)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
how is there no thread on [H] about this game!...best TV show ever made and one of the best book series ever written...I'm really looking forward to this...Telltale Games is now developing a new GoT game...today they revealed the setting, timeframe and family of characters featured in its upcoming Games of Thrones adventure...The six-part episodic game will debut "soon" for PC and Mac, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and iOS

Its first episode is titled "Iron From Ice", which also doubles as the motto of its starring clan: House Forrester...a northern family sworn to House Glover - and by extension the Starks - the Forresters have only been briefly mentioned in George RR Martin's books...this leaves their tale - and fate - to be decided by you...you will play as five members of the Forrester household and journey to King's Landing and The Wall to try and save the ancient family from destruction in the series' bloody civil war...you'll also visit the Forrester home of Ironrath, deep in the Wolfswood, where the clan controls much of the wealthy timber trade - to the distaste of rival House Whitehill

Telltale's series will begin around the end of the TV show's third season, just after the Red Wedding...it will then cover the year or so of events until the start of next year's TV season five (somewhere around the middle of A Dance with Dragons)

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/10/7185981/game-of-thrones-iron-from-ice

What I want to know is, since the time period is already covered by both books and a TV series, will anything you do actually be allowed to have any effect? Or will it be the same poor/simplistic gameplay design of The Walking Dead, where ultimately you had control over nothing, barely even over your own character's actions/words, and could affect nothing.

Hopefully they either allow you to create an "alternate" story that completely diverges from the book/TV series, or at least make it where your own story occurs within the theme of what is happening in the world around you, but mostly separate so that you can truly change what happens around you in your part of life/the world.

I doubt they will do it though.

I'd rather read a book than play Telltale games....

Just my opinion.

best TV show ever made

Hum... No, but undoubtedly the best fantasy TV show ever made.
A lot of peoples (adults) consider that The Wire, The Sopranos and Mad Men are better shows. But this is video game forum... ;)

A lot of peoples (adults) consider that The Wire, The Sopranos and Mad Men are better shows. But this is video game forum... ;)

I'll give you The Wire...and Breaking Bad has a good argument as well...but I've watched every episode of The Sopranos (excellent show, mainly the 5 star acting of James Gandolfini) and it doesn't match the scope and depth of GoT

I am currently in Season 2 of The Sopranos, so far definitely no where near Game of Thrones. I have tried watching Mad Men, definitely don't see it coming anywhere near matching GoT, though I have not tried watching it from the beginning. Have not seen The Wire yet at all. Breaking Bad beats GoT, though GoT is not far behind. The original Twilight Zone is king of all TV though, sorry.

And horrorshow's indirect summary of previous Telltale games is exactly the problem with their works. Instead of creating a story, you are only making minor alterations to an on-rails existing one, a tale that a book can tell far better.

Edit:
Check out The Booth at the End. Best short series I have ever seen...hopefully they can do a Season 3, but as time passes, it is not looking good.

Honestly, I've read every single one of the books, and I have just completely lost interest in the series as a whole. There's way too much beating around the bush for me, far too many plotlines that have dragged on for ages, far too many seemingly random tangents. This all translates into very, very little interest in a game.

I do not get the love for The Wire. The first two seasons were horrible except for a few episodes. The Wire is the most overrated show in the history of television, period. How any sane person could place The Wire above Breaking Bad is just crazy. It's not even close.

I loved Telltale's The Walking Dead. Wolf Among Us was even better. I got high hopes for GoT.

Good to see House Glover getting some attention. They certainly have the best house motto in Westeros: "Getting to old for this shit".

Seriously though, I'm stoked for this game.

Telltale's Game of Thrones gets a debut trailer

Telltale has revealed the first footage of its upcoming Game of Thrones series...The developer also announced that several of the show's actors will reprise their role in the video game, such as: Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister, Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell, and Iwan Rheon as Ramsay Snow...Telltale noted that "additional cast members will appear in later episodes."...

teaser trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1vt9BX4Eg

I personally liked Spartacus better.
But that's just me.

But I would definitely play this.

Telltale games has a lot of potential with these type of games they make.

Maybe remake some horror movies/game would be cool too.

But on topic.
I'd play this.

Telltale's Game of Thrones is due next week

Telltale's video game spin-off of Game of Thrones is premiering next week on various platforms, Telltale's Job Stauffer announced on Facebook...on December 2nd it's coming to PC and Mac via Steam, as well as PS4 in North America

Telltale's Game of Thrones is being developed in conjunction with the HBO series, so it will feature several of the same actors like Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey reprising their roles as Tyrion and Cersei Lannister respectively...the game will follow the exploits of House Forrester, a family sworn to the Starks...it will be told over the course of six episodes with the debut chapter entitled Iron From Ice, which gets its name from the Forrester family's motto

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-27-telltales-game-of-thrones-is-due-next-week

Honestly, although Telltale games as a concept interest me (see previous hesitations/complaints), I dislike the episodic release format. I mean, I think the episodic splits in the game is fine, but I wish they would just wait and develop all of them and release them all at once. But no big deal, because if they manage to make a good game, I can wait and get it at the end. Still, I do not like the episodic release format - I am sure in some ways it delays the overall completion of the game too.

I'm not a huge fan of the Telltale games, but GoT is one of my favorite books/shows. I'm not sure I can wait until all the episodes are released, as the release schedule is kinda slow.

Ultimately, I'll wait for the reviews to show up before buying.

lol Downton Abbey....

....I would seriously buy i if it was good and imo that kind of setting is woefully underused in video games.

Back to the topic though, I am going to wait for reviews on this and decide. The Walking Dead and Wolf Among us were great so I have high hopes.

Plus they literally just released tales from the borderlands episode one last week and it got good reviews.

I'll give you The Wire...and Breaking Bad has a good argument as well...but I've watched every episode of The Sopranos (excellent show, mainly the 5 star acting of James Gandolfini) and it doesn't match the scope and depth of GoT

The Wire definitely surpasses all the shows mentioned for its intertwining plotlines and being the best representation of culture. If I was to put a show in a time capsule for aliens 1000 years from now to show our civilization, this would be it.

Moreover, a video game based on The Wire could be absolutely amazing: part Sim City, part GTA, part Crusader Kings.

I do not get the love for The Wire. The first two seasons were horrible except for a few episodes. The Wire is the most overrated show in the history of television, period. How any sane person could place The Wire above Breaking Bad is just crazy. It's not even close.

The Wire is far from being overrated. It can hold its own when compared to The Sopranos and BB. Great acting all over in that show.

The Wire is far from being overrated. It can hold its own when compared to The Sopranos and BB. Great acting all over in that show.

I agree...anyone who says The Wire is overrated should not be rating TV shows at all...it's pretty much universally regarded among critics and fans alike as one of the very best shows in television history

I feel like the hard thing about the Wire for people to latch on to, apart from its complex plot structure, is:

a) it doesn't transport you into a fantasy world like GoT or Sopranos does to an extent. The characters are more real and less of a projection of what we want characters to be. In a word, it's not as "enternain-y" as many shows e.g. Breaking Bad

b) It deals with the mundane politics and business more than other shows. I had the pleasure of watching part of the second season with my WWII-vet grandfather who spent 40 years as a longshoreman. His comment was: "shit, that's just how I lived it".

b) if you dont understand American municipal operations, it's hard to understand big parts of the series.

That said, this show is in no way underrated. It's like Moby Dick or Ulysses: thick and esoteric, but so very worth the effort.

God DAMN this post is full of so much win. If you had included Deadwood, I would have proposed on the spot.

My top shows in order:

Mad Men
The Wire
Deadwood (who the FUCK decided to cancel this?)
The Sopranos
Battlestar Galactica

Everything else is popcorn bullshit to watch with the girlfriend(s).

I feel like the hard thing about the Wire for people to latch on to, apart from its complex plot structure, is:

a) it doesn't transport you into a fantasy world like GoT or Sopranos does to an extent. The characters are more real and less of a projection of what we want characters to be. In a word, it's not as "enternain-y" as many shows e.g. Breaking Bad

b) It deals with the mundane politics and business more than other shows. I had the pleasure of watching part of the second season with my WWII-vet grandfather who spent 40 years as a longshoreman. His comment was: "shit, that's just how I lived it".

b) if you dont understand American municipal operations, it's hard to understand big parts of the series.

That said, this show is in no way underrated. It's like Moby Dick or Ulysses: thick and esoteric, but so very worth the effort.

To your point A, I have to say that sometimes those characters were made out to be a little too smart. I keep thinking sometimes as I watch it all again that anyone that smart would not be in the game for too long. Thats about as unreal as the Wire got for me.

So has anyone got this thing yet? I might wait for a steam sale. I like telltale games but I think this franchise is best suited for a AAA RTS game. An RPG game could be awesome as well in the right hands, like TaleWorlds, I heard the RPG that came out was crap.

I plan to get this but I tend to wait until they are on sale/more episodes are out, that way I can go through the whole story and don't hav to wait months and months apart and it's still fresh in my mind (otherwise I tend to forget some small details here and there when it's like 6 months down the road).

Back