Game of Thrones Season 2: Most Pirated in 2012

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The most pirated TV show of 2012 to date is HBO’s second season offering of Game of Thrones according to Big Champagne, a Bit-Torrent tracking service. Last year the same series was the second most pirated TV series, right behind Dexter. The year is just getting warmed up and has a long way to go, but GoT with its record of 25 million illegal downloads so far it the favorite to take the crown. (no pun intended) :D

One of the reasons for the piracy is due to people finding it difficult to watch the show legally. In America, if you don’t have HBO or don’t subscribe to HBO’s streaming service, you won’t see it.

I'd say a lot of those may be counted just to make the figure higher.

It's legal to record TV shows and rewatch them. If you have HBO but don't watch it, you could argue that it's legal for you to download recordings of HBO shows and watch it all you like.

While I hate piracy a lot, HBO is really asking for it to be pirated. They don't offer you their service unless you get Cable. The cheapest that is in my area is right around $140. That is for shitty cable channels with tons of commercials and then HBO which doesn't have commercials.

HBO should get with the times and offer a separate streaming service, not many people want cable anymore.

I'd say a lot of those may be counted just to make the figure higher.

It's legal to record TV shows and rewatch them. If you have HBO but don't watch it, you could argue that it's legal for you to download recordings of HBO shows and watch it all you like.
That's a difficult argument to make given that streaming the episodes is available via HBOGo.

I started to watch it and then I realized I had read the books and they were better. It is a good show that does a pretty good job at keeping to the books but at the end of the day I didn't need to watch content that I already knew what was going to happen.

HBO, SHO, STARS and MAX all need to pull together and do something like hulu plus. Im sure their profits would go up even if they did loose some regular subscribers.

Also when some of these shows doing so well they could take a page from gaming companies and make collectors editions of their shows etc... I know some of us geeks would proudly be buying them :)

I started to watch it and then I realized I had read the books and they were better. It is a good show that does a pretty good job at keeping to the books but at the end of the day I didn't need to watch content that I already knew what was going to happen.

That is worst explanation for not watching a show. seriously i beg to see favorite books on big screen.

So how else would you know that Daenerys' dragons were stolen in season 2? They weren't stolen in the book. :p

That's what happens when you don't make your programming readily available and make people jump through hoops to get the content they want. Instead of selling hbogo without a cable sub or letting Netflix show their programming, instead they get nothing. It may not be right, but until they get with the times, it's gonna keep happening!

Wonder what the numbers are for people who then buy it on Blu-ray after downloading it once it's available?

there's probably some sort of deal between the cable companies and the premium channels that won't allow them to sell their services separately without having cable.

Cable needs to die, we should be able to simply buy what channels we want to watch online, and have that shit streamed to our computers.

That being said, it's no surprise that this show is heavily pirated. The books were bad ass, and cable is too expensive for most people, especially since we have a thousand other distractions that are better than sitting in front of the tube.

Nobody's going to pay $140 a month (as one gentleman mentioned further up in this thread) AND then pay for HBO just to watch one show.

I'd definitely be willing to pay 8-10 dollar subscription to stream HBO to my computer. I don't have cable so this would be the only way they would get money from me.

While I hate piracy a lot, HBO is really asking for it to be pirated. They don't offer you their service unless you get Cable. The cheapest that is in my area is right around $140. That is for shitty cable channels with tons of commercials and then HBO which doesn't have commercials.

HBO should get with the times and offer a separate streaming service, not many people want cable anymore.
I wasn't aware people still wanted to use their TVs
Must be just me.

Must be just me.

If you get streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu Plus ect. you can still use your TV. The problem with Cable is that you can't choose your channels, you just get all of their crap and have to pay at least $100 a month for just that. Our bill is $280 a month for TV, phone and some decent internet. The TV base costs around $105, with rentals for the shitty boxes being another ~$40 and then Premium movie channels are like $30. That adds up to right around ~$180 just for fucking TV. My favorite part though is that new customers, get it all for $115(with double the internet speeds) for 3 years. They really fuck over old customers.

Nobody's going to pay $140 a month (as one gentleman mentioned further up in this thread) AND then pay for HBO just to watch one show.

I don't watch the show but I did start watching Thundercats. It's a modern remake of the old show I used to love from the 80's, but I simply don't have time to sit around and wait for it to air. I simply just download it. Much easy and quicker, plus commercial free.

I do have cable, but not by choice. Though I do realize that by not watching the show it could be hurting its ratings, which is what I've heard is happening lately to the show. To be honest there's way too many commercials on TV for me. They should just put it on web via a streaming service and have me watch a commercial before the show starts. As much as I would love to support the show, I do have better things to do. Cable should just fade away.

I really have no way to watch dexter or game of thrones without pirating, I don't have cable I just stream netflix/hulu plus, but I'd honestly be willing to pay $20-30 one time fee to watch dexter or game of thrones. Or even $15 a month to get HBO/showtime only.

I'm currently reading the second book, and was planning on reading along side each episode (read then watch)...I watched the first episode, was absolutely appalled by the drop in production values, and things different/left out from the book, but I hear the following episodes are better.

I'm gonna go ahead and finish the book first then do a marathon viewing of the season (or split it into 2-3 viewings) and see whether I still want to watch.

I made the HUGE mistake of going to a website related to the book and now know way too much about the next few books, so I'm trying to avoid even reading threads that are about GoT even in the slightest. (as you can see I'm failing at that).

If you can't afford $140 that doesn't mean it's ok for you to pirate it. The entitlement mentality of people these days is unbelievable. The worst part is trying to justify your reason for downloading it. At least man up and say you're stealing.

As much as I'm against SOPA or whatever iteration it is now, when I see stuff like this it makes me want to change my mind and support it.

If you can't afford $140 that doesn't mean it's ok for you to pirate it. The entitlement mentality of people these days is unbelievable. The worst part is trying to justify your reason for downloading it. At least man up and say you're stealing.

As much as I'm against SOPA or whatever iteration it is now, when I see stuff like this it makes me want to change my mind and support it

dont-steal-the-government-hates-competition.jpg

As much as I'm against SOPA or whatever iteration it is now, when I see stuff like this it makes me want to change my mind and support it.

Pure as virgin snow, you are.

at least one person in the thread did

surprisingly from a member of 12 years but respect for honesty :D

Eh,

As much as I agree, I still think the content companies are extorting money from customers. Rather than upgrade their business model, they lobby for laws to make legitimate means to view their content illegal, then refuse to do business with avenues that provide less money (aka netflix licensing).

Granted, it's a privilege not a right to watch things such as GoT, but to curb piracy by means of government, rather than business evolution... Is just as stupid.

Must be just me.

really? because I have a tiny router sized silent HTPC mounted to the back of my HDTV, connected to a gigabit network where a NAS resides with several terabytes of media, and I use it all through my TV....

Wow I have to say you are utterly naive to make such a statement. SOPA would destroy the Internet as we've come to know it and give the Government and Corporations complete control over how information is shared on the net.

To even be for it is like being against Freedom of Speech because of Skinheads. None of us (at least not in this group of people) like Skinheads but I'll be damned if the first amendment is threatened simply because they are wrong in there own beliefs.

Take away the freedom of the Internet and you take a away what really should be a guaranteed freedom in this country.

Piracy is wrong but hamstringing the entire country because of a small fraction of users is the same kind of logic that works oh so great in the classroom when someone acts out and everyone gets punished. In other words , IT DOESNT.

Back