Game of Thrones Pirates, HBO Is Coming for You

really they have a winning formula. piracy does not hurt them. people go and buy the DVDs anyway, the show is that popular. But the bad publicity here might wind up hurting them

This just looks like a way to justify watching their content for free and not feel bad about it. Kind of like dehumanizing your enemies so you can do inhumane things to them. Maybe we should all hate on Time Magazine (or whatever other subsidiaries there are) while we're at it.

It is a justification and an excuse to get content for free instead of paying for it or watching commercials. I do kind of feel bad about the tv part but... I'm just ok with being a bad person.

really they have a winning formula. piracy does not hurt them. people go and buy the DVDs anyway, the show is that popular. But the bad publicity here might wind up hurting them

Piracy does hurt hbo and other media companies. Not everyone who pirates or uses popcorn time would have paid for legal alternatives, but SOME portion of them would, and those peoples money is essentially lost to the media companies/content creators.

I still pay for netflix, I want to pay something to someone and I like the fact that they are more proactive with releasing 4k content and not taking the large chunks of profits and pocketing it vs putting almost all of it back into content costs. HBO is far more profitable than netflix, which makes you wonder why they are being so wasteful? They could choose to spend more money for more content, but choose not to. They probably felt they did not need to, they bankroll enough to get a nice return. But with the rise of netflix which charges less for far more content gained, and now with the netflix specific series in 4k, and plans to offer up 48-60fps video and hdr when available, they are not fucking over their user base with gate keeping for higher quality.

Streaming is their prime venue, they want that to be top tier in every way, and to day they are the best company and I want to reward them for it. Even when I am not watching any shows or movies.

For game of thrones? pay 15 dollars a month just for that? And not even bothering to try to offer 4k of your own show to even a sliver of 4k tvs? They don't care. Be happy we offered regular hd and smile.

It's less of a value.

Something else I'd pay for is a streaming service that gave me access to current television with the commercials stripped out at 1080p-4k quality streams. Right now the only service offering that is popcorn time. But I don't want to pay 2 dollars per episode just to view (not own) the damn show.

For game of thrones? pay 15 dollars a month just for that? And not even bothering to try to offer 4k of your own show to even a sliver of 4k tvs? They don't care. Be happy we offered regular hd and smile.

WTF are you talking about. It's not just GoT, it's their entire lineup for $15. Both live content and VOD.

WTF are you talking about. It's not just GoT, it's their entire lineup for $15. Both live content and VOD.

Right, was talking about the people contemplating hbo now just for got vs the alternatives, if you take advantage of the rest it can make more sense.

I have HBO, but i watched the 4 episodes already. Television has changed, yet the networks are still old school releasing stuff weekly. Netflix is doing it right.

they are all different business models. Standard TV does about 22-24 episodes, netflix/hbo/cable does about 9 to 12. You can possibly delay the release of a show until all episodes are complete, but this is not as feasible for TV, where multiple shows are going to be in different production phases at once.

Right, was talking about the people contemplating hbo now just for got vs the alternatives, if you take advantage of the rest it can make more sense.

It's $12/month with 20% itunes gift cards which occurs quite often. Then you take into account the first month free. So it's $24 for the entire season. That's $2/episode to watch it when it airs. I personally don't care about the airtime, but the wife does because they talk about the show the next day at work. So yes it's worth under $25 to watch the show legally and not have my wife bitch about spoilers from her co-workers. People pay almost that much for 2 tickets to a movie.

I wish HBO would offer a cheaper version of their streaming with just the current seasons of their series and w/o all the movies I don't want/need. But they don't. Possibly continuing high levels of piracy will have them offer more options, but I doubt it.

The excuses people will make for pirating stuff is sad.
HBO dosn't cost a fortune....if you are too "el cheapo"...then stay away...and SFTU.

(I have a HBO Nordic subscription just for GoT in case anyone wonders.)

thats great for you thanks for sharing

The question is.. How did they know that these people got a hold of these episodes..

People get greedy and ruin it for everyone.

HBO didn't care if you stole it the day of...are these people so fucking stupid that they can't wait an extra couple of days? Now HBO is going to bring down the hammer maybe. I'm going to laugh at all the people crying about it. You guys did it to yourselves.

Back