Game of the Year 2020 your opinion

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I haven't played everything granted but I'll make my decision a week from now when I have time more time on vacation

Hellpoint is GOTY for me game is like a very good Dark Souls clone with alot of feels.

Last edited:
Hades
Doom Eternal and Wasteland 3 right behind.
Pretty much the only games that I have played this year though.

GOTY: Last of Us: Part 2

Runners Up: Ghost of Tsushima, Doom Eternal, Half Life; Alyx, Flight Simulator 2020

non-AAA GOTY: Mortal Shell

Mod of the Year: Black Mesa

Remake of the Year: Demon's Souls

too buggy to judge until next year GOTY: Cyberpunk 2077

My game of the year is easily Hades, no questions asked.

Beyond that here are some of my other favorites from 2020 (in no particular order)

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Demon's Souls PS5
Spider-Man Miles Morales

My game of the year: Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's short, but it has an engaging story, endearing characters, and that modern Spider-Man gameplay that's oh so fun. The PS5 version (which I played) also makes a case for the new console with seamless loading and those pretty ray-traced reflections.

After that, probably Fall Guys for the quick pick-up-and-play mechanics as well as its sense of humor. I mean, there's an Untitled Goose Game crossover... that says a lot.

Mind you, the game I played the most was definitely Destiny 2. Beyond Light doesn't really count as a new game, but I'm still hooked on the shooter mechanics and progression. It also got a good shot in the arm with the PS5/Xbox Series X upgrade and now feels more like you're playing on a high-end PC.

I don't often buy new games anymore. I usually wait for sales. Most of my purchases this year were DLC and expansions.
Only bought three games released this year. Cyberpunk 2077, Wasteland 3, and XCOM Chimera Squad.
Cyberpunk 2077 even with the bugs, on a pc, captures my attention and I loose time playing it.
Wasteland 3 was good but I never once had a problem remembering to eat or just saving the game to watch TV or do something else.
XCOM game was ok time waster but I'll never replay it.
So for me Cyberpunk is my GOTY.

Best expansion would be Star Kings for Age of Wonders Planetfall.

That is a tough one. I played a lot of games this year and can't remember all of them. I can't say I had any clear winner. I played a lot of good, but not near perfect, games.

Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2 & Death Stranding would probably be tied. All had some flaws, but I found them all enjoyable overall.

No game even comes close to Disco Elysium for overall creativity and depth.
Wait, is Subnautica also a 2020 game? It too, though for entirely different reasons - it nailed the wonder/terror/uncertainty of exploration, which NMS IMO promised but failed to deliver.
Biggest letdown for me was Wasteland 3. It was merely good, and overly long.

No game even comes close to Disco Elysium for overall creativity and depth.
Wait, is Subnautica also a 2020 game? It too, though for entirely different reasons - it nailed the wonder/terror/uncertainty of exploration, which NMS IMO promised but failed to deliver.
Biggest letdown for me was Wasteland 3. It was merely good, and overly long.

You are about 6 years late naming Subnautica GOTY, it came out in 2014.

My AAA game would be Cyberpunk despite all the issues. I have 40 hours into it so far and plan to have a lot more before I'm done. Hopefully mods happen because I love the setting and the world.

Non-AAA would be Hades although I haven't played it in a while, every time I do play it's always "one more run".

You are about 6 years late naming Subnautica GOTY, it came out in 2014.

My AAA game would be Cyberpunk despite all the issues. I have 40 hours into it so far and plan to have a lot more before I'm done. Hopefully mods happen because I love the setting and the world.

Non-AAA would be Hades although I haven't played it in a while, every time I do play it's always "one more run".
Subnautica was Early access in 2014. Full release in 2018.

TLoU 2. The strength of the narrative just set the bar so high. It had weight and grit to it that I don't think I've seen in any other video game (and TLoU 1 was the best in that regard before it.) Also the performances given by the cast were fantastic, good enough to fit in the absolute best of film. The fact that all the actors achieved that given the restrictions of mo-cap suits, those crazy facial capture helmets, and "imaginary" sets blows my mind.

Hmm, I read through your list as I always enjoy reading your reviews in the other thread.
Only thing that stood out to me is that XCOM:Chimera Squad is SJW hostile garbage but TLOU:2 is your GOTY.

TLOU2 has a lot of problems but it really isn't anywhere near as preachy or whatever as people made it out to be pre-release. Abby kind of sucks as a character, but not for the reasons some people assumed/said. The trans character people freaked the hell out over was incredibly well done and one of the best characters in the game. TLOU2 isn't even in my top 10 of the year, but I totally understand why people loved it and rate it so high.

I mean, certainly TLoU2 has a high production value and whatnot, but honestly I haven't even finished it. If it were on PC with mouse and keyboard I would probably be more into it. I hate, hate, HATE trying to aim with a controller in this game, where every bullet matters as you get rushed by shit. I find it extremely frustrating.

Some of my favorites:

HL:Alyx
Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC
Hades

H + H + H = HL3 CONFIRMED

Also, I'm enjoying Cyberpunk despite the wonky shit.

Honorable mentions to Death Stranding and Control as well. RDR2 had a great atmosphere and story but the mechanics were SO tedious.

Hmm, I read through your list as I always enjoy reading your reviews in the other thread.
Only thing that stood out to me is that XCOM:Chimera Squad is SJW hostile garbage but TLOU:2 is your GOTY.
Well, I've told you right there, that you are wrong.
There is progressive = TLOU2
And then there is preachy with 100% exclusion of white male characters = XCOM.

I'm going to name 2, Tlou2 and borderlands 3 the first one for the story the second one for fun and amount of time spent with it.

Satisfactory is my
I'm going to name 2, Tlou2 and borderlands 3 the first one for the story the second one for fun and amount of time spent with it.

I have BL3. I don't understand the weapons system. It is fun though. I love the graphics

If this means game released in 2020 then that would be:

Deep Rock Galactic which is a great way to spend 200+ hours with your friends in coop.

Serious Sam 4 would be the runner up and I think I only have two more 2020 releases I own and played this year which were -

XCOM: Chimera Squad a real miss for that series of games.

Black Mesa a genuinely impressive remake of HL which removes a lot of the wonkiness such as box platforming over an abyss and whatever Xen was originally.

If this means game released in 2020 then that would be:

Deep Rock Galactic which is a great way to spend 200+ hours with your friends in coop.

Serious Sam 4 would be the runner up and I think I only have two more 2020 releases I own and played this year which were -

XCOM: Chimera Squad a real miss for that series of games.

Black Mesa a genuinely impressive remake of HL which removes a lot of the wonkiness such as box platforming over an abyss and whatever Xen was originally.

Agreed on Chimera. I really liked it at first, but the game just doesn't do enough to make it interesting beyond the first faction. Going from the end of one to the start of another just ends up feeling blah. There are some mechanics I like, but even they wear thin.

That's just H3 confirmed.
tenor (1).gif

Gotta be TLoU2 for me. I played a lot of other games too, but not much else that actually came out this year. I still need to play Ghosts and Spiderman on my PS5 too.

Monster Train. A card/rogue lite game like Slay the Spire. 200+ hours in 6 months.

Second is Phasmophobia, the ghost hunting game. I've not played it in VR (dont own one) but this jump scare game is fun and I'm not a horror fan. A lot of fun with friends.

RDR2 is third, simply because its the only other game that has taken up so much of my time.

Gears Tactics, what little I've played of it is pretty good if you want a Xcom type game set in the gears universe. If you're into Tower Defense games, Element TD2 is a great reproduction of the warcraft3 TD custom maps of the past.

Though only barely a 2020 game, Cyberpunk is the most advanced game released in 2020..

But it's Doom Eternal for me

All the Influncers on Youtube pick all mainstream stuff doesnt mean its good.

Even though it's a complete remake, I'm going with Demon's Souls on PS5. Followed up by TLOU Part 2. Haven't finished CP2077; waiting for the game to be more stable and bug free. Otherwise, that may have over taken one of the aforementioned games.

Cloudpunk. It has everything I like: great atmosphere, music, visual detail, a real hand-crafted feel to it. Also, it has a wonderful story and script that asks some pretty damning questions and makes some pretty damning observations.

My game of the year is easily Hades, no questions asked.

Beyond that here are some of my other favorites from 2020 (in no particular order)

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Demon's Souls PS5
Spider-Man Miles Morales

Agree on Hades. Excellent game! It's pretty flawless. I'm sure I'll think of a small list of others that are close, but it stands out.

Back