xiv) Best sound
xv) Best art style
xvi) Best X360
xvii) Best PS3
xviii) Best Wii
xix) Best Handheld
xx) Best PC
xxi) Best indie

You can combine games over consoles etc.

Here are my picks

i) GOTY 2011 - Battlefield 3 / Skyrim
ii) Best action - Uncharted 3
iii) Best adventure - Batman Arkham City
iv) Best shooter - Battlefield 3
v) Best fighting - Super Street Fighter IV AE
vi) Best RPG - Skyrim
vii) Best MP - Battlefield 3
viii) Best MMO - N/A
ix) Best strategy - Dawn of War 2: Retribution
x) Best racing - Forza 4
xi) Best storyline - Witcher 2
xii) Best voice acting - L A Noire / Uncharted 3 / Deus Ex Human Revolution
xiii) Best graphics - Witcher 2
xiv) Best soundtrack - Assassin's Creed Revelations / Deus Ex Human Revolution
xv) Best art style - Rage / Batman Arkham City
xvi) Best X360 - Gears of War 3
xvii) Best PS3 - Uncharted 3
xviii) Best Wii - N/A
xix) Best Handheld - N/A
xx) Best PC - Battlefield 3 / Skyrim
xxi) Best indie - Bastion

Let's see your lists.

My vote goes to Dark Souls. It's the only game that I actually finished and beat several times.

Runner-ups:
Saints Row 3 - probably the most fun game in a long time and I enjoyed the hell out of it but offers very little replay and is actually a downgrade from SR2. Insanely fun ride while it lasts.
The Witcher 2 - another great game and nothing to really nitpick about but Dark Souls was just better, IMO.
Battlefield 3 - good game but ultimately a huge letdown once I realized it was BFBC3 and not a true BF game.
Skyrim - great atmosphere and the potential to be an amazing game but another letdown since the combat system has yet again failed to sustain any interest after the first few hours after you become a demi-god.
Batman: AC - I made the mistake of playing this after Dark Souls and the gameplay pales in comparison.
Uncharted 3 - ^ ditto

A lot of great games this year but almost all of them were complete letdowns to what they could've been. I'd say only Dark Souls and The Witcher 2 followed through and impressed me.

Funny I hated Dark Souls and I love the combat in Skyrim. 100+ hrs so far. A single player game has not kept my attention like Skyrim in the last 10 yrs.

2011 GOTY - Skyrim
Runner up - Battlefield 3

I'll probably be the only person to vote this but ...

GOTY: Gears of War 3

Runners up:
Batman AC
COD:MW3

Haven't had the chance to play Skyrim (not a huge fan of ES games) or Red Dead Redemption (was this 2010?) but they are on my list. BF3 was ok, but I prefer COD style MP.

I don't see how GOTY can be anything but Deus Ex: HR.

Skyrim is a great game, and I've probably already got twice as much time in it as DX:HR, but...DX:HR is the better game. Better graphics, better voice acting, comparable soundtrack (Jeremy Soule did really nail the new material for Skyrim, but there is also a LOT of his work he recycled from Oblivion and Morrowind), more focused and deeper "story", better writing throughout, more persistent visual style (referring more to art direction - the UI in DX just FEELS natural for the game, the hacking interface feels natural, upgrade management seemless, etc...compared to Skyrim, where the 'skills' map looks more appropriate for a SciFi/space sim, the inventory management some kind of 21st-century-military-shooter, the alchemy interface like stabbing your eyes with hot pokers), etc.

Skyrim. Deus Ex would have taken it but it is too short compared to Skyrim. I have 50 hours into Deus ex and did pretty much everything. I have 25 hours in Skyrim and haven't even started the second part of the main quest yet.

Both games are pretty amazing though.

I haven't played most of these. My GOTY is Uncharted 3 from what I have. AC:R is nice though, really a great game overall but I just prefer the Italian locations (as I have been to them all and it's nice revisiting them). Den defense sucks but only because it's usually impossible to kill the last cannon/tank thing... if they'd have left that out it would have worked. I really tried to like Elder Scrolls back in the day.... but Daggerfall was completely broke when it came out, and then the leveling system of Morrowind and Oblivion killed it for me. Besides, having a big open world just for the sake of having a big, open world doesn't do it for me. Dragon Age is more my thing... you can explore but it's not the point of the game, the story is.

This was a very hard year for me. These are the ones that stuck out to me the most. A few games I have to replay so that I can judge them again.
Code:
GOTY 2011 	Skyrim	(Honorable Mention: Deus Ex Human Revolution)	Over 70 hours and counting of game time put into it. There's no question.
Best action	Batman Arkham City	(Honorable Mention: Dead Island)	
Best adventure	Assassin's Creed: Revelations	(Honorable Mention: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record)	
Best shooter	Dead Space 2	(Honorable Mention: F.E.A.R. 3)	
Best fighting	Mortal Kombat 	(Honorable Mention: Fight Night Champions)	
Best RPG	Skyrim 	(Honorable Mention: Deus Ex Human Revolution) 	DE:HR Had the better presentation but Skyrim was definitely more indepth and game me the longer experience.
Best MP 	Battlefield 3	(Honorable Mention: Dead Island)	
Best MMO	The Old Republic (Beta was fantastic)		
Best strategy	Total War: Shogun 2	(Honorable Mention: Anno 2070)	
Best racing	Forza 4	(Honorable Mention: Dirt 3)	
Best storyline	Portal 2	(Honorable Mention: Deus Ex Human Revolution)	Portal 2's story was much better than I thought and was very carefully presented and subtle enough not to be obscured but deep enough to be seen if you took the time.
Best voice acting	Portal 2	(Honorable Mention: LA Noire/Deus Ex HR)	
Best graphics	Battlefield 3	(Honorable Mention: Crysis 2)	
Best sound	Battlefield 3	(Honorable Mention: Dead Space 2)	
Best art style	Child of Eden	(Honorable Mention: Limbo)	
Best X360	Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary	(Honorable Mention: Gears of War 3, It's alright..)	
Best PS3	Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception	(Honorable Mention: Infamous 2)	
Best Wii	The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword		
Best Handheld	Pokemon Black and White	(Honorable Mention: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D)	
Best PC	The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings	(Honorable Mention: Deus Ex Human Revolution)	This one was hard because technically both are neither PC exclusive but both of these games play best on PC. 
Best indie	Limbo	(Honorable Mention: Magicka/Orcs Must Die!)	Minecraft isn't Indie anymore in my opinion.

Biggest Dissapointment	Duke Nukem Forever	(Dishonorable Mention: Rage)

Last edited:
Uncharted 3 - PS3
Witcher II - PC
Gears of War 3 - 360

GOTY for me would be Witcher II

This was a beautiful year for PC gaming. Just a few of my favorites in no particular order:

Bastion (Indie)
Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer FPS)
Dead Space 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Alice: Madness Returns

(need to start Witcher 2 and Skyrim -- have a feeling they'd make my list as well)

) GOTY 2011 -- Battlefield 3 (Runnerup: Skyrim)
ii) Best action -- Batman: AC
iv) Best shooter - BF3
vi) Best RPG - Skyrim
vii) Best MP - BF3
ix) Best strategy - Shogun 2
xi) Best storyline - Witcher 2 (not the gameplay though :( )
xii) Best voice acting - Portal 2
xiii) Best graphics - BF3
xiv) Best sound - BF3
xxi) Best indie - Orcs Must Die (Runner-up: Jamestown)

Unfortunately, don't do turn based/city management/crap/overly complicated/dunno what that is/haven't tested out stuff :p

For me only real RTS was DoW 2 Retribution. Everything else was just too damn archaic for me to indulge myself. Total War games are awesome but not for me. Need to check out Nuclear Dawn but the 7 or less rated reviews generally kept me from games like Stronghold 3/Game of Thrones/Nuclear Dawn etc.

i) GOTY 2011 - Final Fantasy Type-0 (Runner-Up: TES V: Skyrim)
ii) Best action - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Runner-Up: Dark Souls)
iii) Best adventure - Uncharted 3 (Runner-Up: Saints Row The Third)
iv) Best shooter - Battlefield 3 (Runner-Up: Killzone 3)
v) Best fighting - King of Fighters XIII (Runner-Up: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3)
vi) Best RPG - TES V: Skyrim (Runner-Up: Final Fantasy Type-0)
vii) Best MP - Battlefield 3 (Runner-Up: Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity)
viii) Best MMO - TERA (KR) (Runner-Up: RIFT)
ix) Best strategy - Anno 2070 (Runner-Up: Shogun 2: Total War)
x) Best racing - Forza Motorsport 4 (Runner-Up: Dirt 3)
xi) Best storyline - Final Fantasy Type-0 (Runner-Up: The Witcher 2)
xii) Best voice acting - Portal 2 (Runner-Up: Final Fantasy Type-0)
xiii) Best graphics - Battlefield 3 (Runner-Up: The Witcher 2)
xiv) Best sound - Final Fantasy Type-0 (Runner-Up: TES V: Skyrim)
xv) Best art style - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Runner-Up: Child of Eden)
xvii) Best PS3 - Uncharted 3 (Runner-Up: Little Big Planet 2)
xviii) Best Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles (Runner-Up: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
xix) Best Handheld - Final Fantasy Type-0 (Runner-Up: Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity)
xx) Best PC - Battlefield 3 (Runner-Up: The Witcher 2)
xxi) Best indie - Sequence (Runner-Up: Bastion)

GOTY: Battlefield 3 (Runner up: Uncharted 3)
Best PS3 - Uncharted 3
Best 360 - Nothing interested me
Best PC - Battlefield 3

i) GOTY 2011 - Battlefield 3 / Skyrim (Big fan of both, but I'm total Skyrim since 11/11)

Honorable mentions for me:

The HONORABLE Space Marine! Such a fun action game, simple yeah but Batman style fun, loved it!

DeusEX HR - Very fun and loved many parts of the game. Boss fights weren't great but didn't kill it for me. Just don't find myself going back for replays yet.

LA Noire was a very fun and different game style... hated once I got to the dlc where I had to swap disks on xbox to go in between missions.

Waiting to play: AC:R and Batman AC.

This is my list for 2011 from a PC gamer perspective with an emphasis on single player.

GOTY 2011: For me would have to be Skyrim, not only for the game it is now but for the game I know it will be a couple years from now with mods and expansion packs. Was considering Witcher 2 but I can't dismiss the fact that each subsequent chapter in the Witcher was smaller and less interesting than the previous.

Best action: Dead Space 2, great atmosphere and interesting story to play through with fun combat.

Best adventure: Deus Ex Human Revolution, while not an adventure game per se still a game with an interesting story and multiple paths for every objective.

Best shooter: Rage, despite the hate it gets I still had the most fun shooting things in Rage. The hit and death animations for the mutants were interesting to watch. This was the buggiest game of the year for me but after a few hours of tweaking I got it to run properly.

Best RPG: Witcher 2, state of the art graphics for an rpg with a well realized world and storyline.

Best MMO: World of Warcraft is still King of the Hill.

Best strategy: Total War: Shogun 2, great complex strategy game with impressive graphics. A close second would be Heroes of Might and Magic 6. Homm6 is strategy lite with nice graphics and animations for the genre and a marathon length campaign.

Best indie: Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012, Game costs $10 and I have over 60 hours played so far. Must buy for those that like strategy or card games.

Honorable Mention: Dead Island, large open world with nice graphics(tweaked with Dead Island Helper). I have over 40 hours in this game in single player and I'm still not done with the campaign. Combat is more fun than Skyrim, smashing zombies in the face never gets old. It’s like Far cry 2 and Borderlands had a first person melee baby. I never experienced any bugs with the game after the first week.

Last edited:
Notable lack of Portal 2 in OP.

Disclaimer: Only games I have played are listed as I can not give a valid opinion on a game I have not played.

PC Game of the Year ranked in order
  1. Witcher 2
  2. Skyrim
  3. Battlefield 3
  4. Portal 2

PC Developer of the Year ranked in order:
  1. CD Project Red
  2. DICE
  3. Valve
  4. Riot Games

PC Coaster of the Year ranked in order:
  1. Duke Nukem Forever
  2. Crysis 2
  3. Rage

Would like to see other's opinions on PC developer of 2011.

Last edited:
BF3 and Deus Ex: HR for me so far.

Have not played Skyrim yet, waiting for modders to make it pretty.

Biggest disappointment of the year

Battlefield 3

Game is too easy, and got boring real fast (63 hours of play time already lvl 48). To me its a spray n pray twitch shooter with none of the UT fun and all of the shit netcode. The biggest issue i have is getting kicked/banned from servers for rippin people's shit.

BFBC2 was waaaaay better.

EDIT: as far as my current GOTY (which i base on how much overall fun i have with a game) it goes to Skyward Sword. i'm a pc gamer at heart, but man its so fun to play and my fiance loves to watch me play it.

MW3...
25 million people can't be wrong.

J/k, Dark Souls.
After that game, Skyrim combat is garbage and Batman combat is just 'meh.'
It's unfortunate that they took a while to fix the online multiplayer :(

Last edited:
Biggest disappointment of the year

Battlefield 3

Game is too easy, and got boring real fast (63 hours of play time already lvl 48). To me its a spray n pray twitch shooter with none of the UT fun and all of the shit netcode. The biggest issue i have is getting kicked/banned from servers for rippin people's shit.

BFBC2 was waaaaay better.

You played for 63 hours and yet it's a disappointment? What?

Hard to choose.

Here is my list. Mostly in order, though its hard to order the ones after the first 3 as everything in that list is damn fine.

1. Skyrim
2. Uncharted 3
3. Batman AC
4. The Witcher 2
5. Deus Ex: HR
6. Portal 2
7. BF3

I guess people have different definitions of indie games, but how is Bastion an indie game? A few of the guys worked on the Command and Conquer games, among others, and they are published by Warner Brothers. A small studio putting out a game with a style usually seen in the indie scene, sure, but they aren't indie imo.

Skyrim for me. I'm not going through and breaking everything up into categories.

i) GOTY 2011 - DCS A-10C Warthog
ii) Best action - Terraria
iii) Best adventure - Gemini Rue
iv) Best shooter - Battlefield 3
v) Best fighting - King of Fighters XIII
vi) Best RPG - Skyrim
vii) Best MP - Jamestown
viii) Best MMO - Rift
ix) Best strategy - Dawn of War 2: Retribution
x) Best racing - Dirt 3
xi) Best storyline - Skyrim
xii) Best voice acting - Portal 2
xiii) Best graphics - The Witcher 2
xiv) Best sound - Battlefield 3
xv) Best art style - Bastion
xvi) Best X360 - Gears of War 3
xvii) Best PS3 - Uncharted 3
xviii) Best Wii - Zelda Skyward Sword
xix) Best Handheld - Ascension
xx) Best PC - DCS A-10C Warthog
xxi) Best indie - Minecraft

My GOTY for 2011 is Battlefield 3 - best multiplayer gameplay, best sound, best graphics!

Skyrim is a close 2nd.

I'm only providing the categories that are relevant or appropriate for me to offer a selection (e.g., I will likely want to choose Total War: Shogun 2 as my strategy game of the year once I play it, however, I have not had time to play it yet).

i) GOTY 2011 - Skyrim (Runner up - Dark Souls).

vi) Best RPG - Skyrim

xi) Best storyline - Witcher 2

xiii) Best graphics - Witcher 2

xvii) Best PS3 - Dark Souls

xx) Best PC - Witcher 2

Dark Souls was very close to being my GOTY, but compared to Demon's Souls the implementation of the online component left me a little sour. I understand they've now patched some of the issues, and I'll probably be going back soon to check it out again, but I'm still disappointed with how they messed up some of the things they had right in Demon's Souls.

GOTY - BF3, graphics are amazing and gameplay is basically the best if you are a FPS fan

I'll have to go with Battlefield 3, due to the sheer amount of fun I had playing it.
Multiplayer was fun, but I've never been a hardcore multiplayer fan.

GOTY-----Rage
Best Graphics-----Rage
Best FPS------Call of Duty, MW3
Best MMO------League of Legends
Best Graphics------Super Meat Boy
Most Zombies killed-------Dead Island
Best Storyline-----Duke Nukem Forever

Best Vaporware------Half-Life2, Episode3

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:;):D

Of the games I've played this year:

Best PC - Battlefield 3 (The Witcher 2 2nd)
Best PS3 - Uncharted 3 (Dark Souls 2nd)
Best Xbox 360 - Gears of War 3 (No honorable mention)
Best RPG - The Witcher 2 (Dark Souls 2nd)
Best FPS - Battlefield 3 (No honorable mention)
Best Indie - Limbo

Biggest disappointment - Dragon Age 2, it was ok, not horrible, but a big let down after Origins.

Dud of the year - Dead Island

GOTY: Battlefield (The Witcher 2 2nd)

Finding games that Suit my taste has been rough this year.....I already know the GOTY for 2012 Devil Survivor 2.

i) GOTY 2011 - FFT for iPhone
iv) Best shooter - BF3
vii) Best MP - BF3
ix) Best strategy - Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
xix) Best Handheld - FFT iPhone/Ipad
xx) Best PC - BF3

Serious Sam 3 BFE wins in all catagories
It's that good
How is this hard?

i) GOTY 2011
Deus Ex
ii) Best action