Game music ON/OFF?

merlin704

The Great Procrastinator
Do you play your games with the music ON or OFF? Personally, I turn the music off. I feel that if the game I am playing were a realistic situation, there would be no music IRL.:)

It really depends on the game. I play Morrowind/Oblivion with music nice and loud, wonderful music. And it really helps to know when you're in battle. I also play games like UT2k4 with music (usually my own). If I play CS:S or something (incredibly rare), I dont have music on.

In-game music on for singleplayer. Multiplayer it's off.

I actually like single-player music, and I'm a bit annoyed that I can't hear the car music in Crackdown at max volume over the roaring engines.

I just leave it at the default, which is usually turned on, I don't mind music in games, and actually like it sometimes.

I like music in certain games. Anything like BF2 or CSS where you have to concentrate on sounds around you i play silent, but most others (especially racing or simulation games) i prefer having music on. And unless its really good, I like playing my own music as I get more control over it and the music doesnt stop when the level loads.

I nearly always leave the music on. It adds a lot, i think. Oblivion and Morrowind have some really great music. Half Life's is really good for getting the blood pumping. The music in HL2: Ep1 when Alex gets a shotgun and you both run down the hospital hallway taking zombies out together is part of what makes that sequence so great.

Prey's was a little over the top, but nothing bad. Offhand i can't remember any music in game that i actually disliked.

I usually turn music off while I'm playing because I watch TV at the same time.

off 99% of the time. Only time I leave music on is if it's used in the game to add something to the game.. like it starts playing to clue ya in on something or another.

Most of the time I'll leave it on. If I'm playing a free-roam game or multiplayer, I'll usually throw some music on.

I just leave it at the default, though sometimes I turn up the sound effects. Music doesn't bother me, and it's kind of nice to have something playing in the background so long as it's not terribly annoying.

Single player: Game music on, no music of my own, either.
Multiplayer: Game music drowned out by my own, unless I feel like playing serious.

always off for me. the only game i actually liked the music in was TA because it changed to match the action taking place on the screen.

On. The only exception, ever, is WoW, because grinding to WoW's music sucks, as opposed to grinding to Led Zep or Oasis.

Hell, some games I listened to the music as much or more than playing the game. My Mechwarrior2 CD spent more time in my stereo than my computer. Quake 1 and Quake 2 I haven't played for many moons, but the music tracks are ripped to my collection and are still listened to. (NIN's work on Q1 was seriously creepy.)

No music for BF2 or CSS, but for SCCT I have it on - as it adds to the gameplay. Also when I used to love GTR I had some of my own playing while playing it - a bit of Moby REALLY added a lot to it. :D

I leave the music on most of the time, but it's never louder than the gameplay sound.

Sometimes I turn it off and use my own music as well.

music makes ut2k4 more intense. it goes off when i have to concentrate.

The music is always on for me. I rarely change the sound settings in games...I usually just keep them as is unless I notice any balance that's out of whack (ie. the game music is drowning out the sound effects).

Usually I turn it off. It depends from game to game, or even sequence to sequence. If the sound design is really good, I tend to turn off the music so that I can absorb the soundfield.

While playing Prey I was constantly turning the music on and off depending on how interesting the sound was. For Quake 4, I mostly turned it off because the openAL and EAX were so awesome in that game. For Call of Juarez, I'm leaving it off because I find the music so repetitive and the sound is so cool to listen to.

I usually turn music off in FPS games, but leave it on in RPGs and Strategy games.

Game music is always off.
I prefer my own music.
Classical for grinding/questing in MMOs.
Rock for FPS, keeps you alert.

Depends on the game, but for me, it's usually Singleplayer = Music, and Multiplayer = No Music.

Personally I like the music on if it's a good soundtrack. There are so very few notable game soundtracks, though, that I usually just turn the music off. Halo and Halo 2 are examples of games that in my opinion have good soundtracks. Also, Black Mesa Source, an upcoming mod for HL2, has an incredible soundtrack all being written and composed by (I think) one guy.

Beyond that, there haven't been too recent games with good soundtracks. The oldies are where the good stuff is (Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.).

On. The only exception, ever, is WoW, because grinding to WoW's music sucks, as opposed to grinding to Led Zep or Oasis.

Hell, some games I listened to the music as much or more than playing the game. My Mechwarrior2 CD spent more time in my stereo than my computer. Quake 1 and Quake 2 I haven't played for many moons, but the music tracks are ripped to my collection and are still listened to. (NIN's work on Q1 was seriously creepy.)

Ahh yes, I have done the same. Every time I go to my friends for a LAN he has me put on some ol red alert marching music to get him pumped up for some LAN gaming. I even bought the soundtrack music for it and Anarcy Online, something about the Omni music brings back cool memories.

It used to be OFF for me period, mainly because the musci sucked or was inappropriate.

The first exceptions to that were the lucasarts dark forces and jedi games. Mainly because the music goes with the subject matter, and because they did it right by making it linked to the action more.

These days I find myself leving the music on but quiet more in the majority of games. Mainly because more people are doing it right, and the music is getting to be done much better.

I almost never leave it on for a multiplayer game though.

Still turn it off in general on a number of games.

Generally always off for me. It's normally the first thing I do when starting up a game.

I turn cinemotion music off in NHL2K7 and use the on ice sounds and ice chatter :D

Otherwise I'd leave it on I guess, Gears of War I left it on but I don't remember if it was good or not, probably cause I was trying not to die. My dog ate my headset (true story) and nobody wants to play coop with me cause I can't chat lol

I need those achievements!

If its got unoriginal licensed music (like EA:Trax in EA:Sports games) then the music is turned off and stays off.

If its got an original score, then I usually leave it on.

i listen to music if i am playing surf maps on css. its a great escape if you ask me. However, if im playing vanilla css i dont use music.

I just remembered. The only games I left the music on in were THPS 1 and 2. Really good soundtracks for doing tricks.:)

It depends on the game. I either like to have it down low so it doesn't take away from the game, or turned off completely.

FPS: Off

RTS: If I like the score, it stays on (CoH and SupCom have nice scores)

That's pretty much all I play these days.

Back