Game Informer Starts Dumping Outer Worlds Info

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Game Informer is running a series of articles on Obsidian's upcoming big budget Outer Worlds RPG. In a rapid fire interview, they've already asked the developer 131 questions about the game where, among other things, they mention that about 20% of the Fallout New Vegas team is working on Outer Worlds, and that there won't be a 3rd person mode. There will be no microtransactions, they decided that the consoles would support 4k on the spot, and "they would love for players to be able to mod," even though it won't launch with modding support, while silently acknowledging some of New Vegas's release jankiness. Killing (almost) nobody, or absolutely everybody, are both viable play-through options. They also say that romance-able characters were too much work to implement, but your companions can blow your stealth, and there will be "lots" of possible endings.

Check out the coverage trailer here, or go to Game Informer's site for the full rapid fire interview.

Get ready for a full month of exclusive content from Game Informer covering Obsidian's upcoming RPG The Outer Worlds. We'll be showing new gameplay, interviews with the original creators of Fallout Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, and Obsidian's CEO Feargus Urquhart.

For those of y'all that are interested in Outer Worlds info, but don't have the attention span to absorb an 11 minute video (like me), I'm gonna see if I can make an auto transcription tonight.

Be funny as hell if it was a Epic launcher exclusive LOL ( though not really)
but even that would be better than a Bethesda launcher exclusive.

guess we gota wait and see.

If the Outer Limits went to Epic this will be the final straw for all games. Nobody would take a chance on the game if it was on Epic.

I hadn't heard about this title until a friend mentioned it in an email today.

I have to admit, it looks promising.

Yeah, I'm not giving any studio that plays the store exclusive game any of my money.

Steam, GOG or no sale.

Romance felt new and exciting back in dragon age origins and mass effect. For multiple reasons now at best it feels tedious and at worst it feels like:

Attachments

• larsandtherealgirl-jma2-100656143-orig.jpg
    larsandtherealgirl-jma2-100656143-orig.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm a fan of epic store itself this far. Seems much more focused on games I'm actually interested in. Steam has gotten loaded down with lots of crap to sift through. Steam keeps showing me AAA fps and 8bit platformers I have little interest in.

But ya forced exclusives for a year? Epic can clean my taint. Whichever accountants, marketing, and management team came up with that plan, 1.shitcan them all 2. Apologize and reverse.

Ecspecially dumb move when you have no discussion forums or anything else in place yet.

If the Outer Limits went to Epic this will be the final straw for all games. Nobody would take a chance on the game if it was on Epic.

Microsoft recently bought Obsidian and InXile, so, if anything, their games would be Microsoft Store exclusive. But, I suspect Microsoft and the devs know that would be commercial suicide for the titles.

I believe Brian Fargo has already stated that Wasteland 3 will still be launched on Steam.

Yeah, I'm not giving any studio that plays the store exclusive game any of my money.

Steam, GOG or no sale.

Without even needing to be stand-offish about it, that's just how things work out for me. There are enough games out there that I can withstand missing out on one that I would otherwise be looking forward to, or play it by some other means. I typically don't purchase games to play them only once through, but to have access to them for posterity. And so, I just about only purchase games from places that I trust to be around the longest, and which have the most customer-friendly features and business practices - such as Steam and GoG. Epic is demonstrating that it has bad business practices and a selfish philosophy, and Epic also has an unproven record when it comes to sticking with projects when they become inconvenient for them (Paragon, Unreal Tournament 4). Fortnite BR's success wasn't home-grown but mimicked from PUBG's and made use of what Epic learned from PUBG devs through their licensed support contact and making use of the engine changes that were done for PUBG. I don't take Fortnite BR to be an expression of Epic's own vision.

beginning to sound like a B-budget game..... (will still play)

when will we get a real AAA game from the old masters of rpgs?

Microsoft recently bought Obsidian and InXile, so, if anything, their games would be Microsoft Store exclusive. But, I suspect Microsoft and the devs know that would be commercial suicide for the titles.

I believe Brian Fargo has already stated that Wasteland 3 will still be launched on Steam.

MS has no hand in Outer Worlds as it is funded and published by Private Division.

As for Wasteland 3, if they went with Deep Silver for publishing like they did the first game I hope the publishing agreement prevents them from making deals without approval from InXile.

So my companion can blow my cover but not blow me?
As I was reading "romance-able characters were too much work to implement, but your companions can blow you" immediately thinking WTF?

Romance felt new and exciting back in dragon age origins and mass effect. For multiple reasons now at best it feels tedious and at worst it feels like:
Because there were few games with properly written romance options, since everyone has to swing both ways otherwise they get called out for heteronormativty. I can't wait for this idiocy to end. Preferably before we'll end up with games that have five feet tall fat ugly gay trans black mexican muslim heroes

Because there were few games with properly written romance options, since everyone has to swing both ways otherwise they get called out for heteronormativty. I can't wait for this idiocy to end. Preferably before we'll end up with games that have five feet tall fat ugly gay trans black mexican muslim heroes

Yeah...No. That had nothing to do with romance options being bad in games. They were bad solely because they were poorly written. I mean, fuck, Saint's Row 4 the game where you actually could fuck almost anyone regardless of gender still managed to have some of the best "romance" options in a video game and that game did it as a joke! Paraphrasing it a bit but one of the best descriptions I've seen about video game romance options was that they were about "pestering someone until they agreed to sleep with you". Also, Dragon Age 2 is considered to have some of the worst romance options from a video game despite, almost, every character wanting to bang Hawk regardless of gender.

The romance options are poorly written because the writers either have no bloody clue how to write good romance or the very structure of the game makes it simply not a viable option. Mass Effect failed at it due to the nature of the game preventing meaningful interaction with your chosen partner outside outside of the moments where Shepard is in their face in the ship. Shepard has no part in the incidental dialog mid-mission and none of the story bits in the game actually reflect the relationship going that way. ME2 hand-waves it away by making the ME1 romance options not playable parts of the crew and only Liara actually showing any real effect of a relationship fully developing (though they don't follow up on that in her DLC so the problem still exists). ME3 does even more shitty hand-waving for characters the developers don't want to deal with so if you romanced one of them, too bad. Even if a character you romanced is with you they still don't acknowledge it unless in a specific "romance" cutscene or dialog tree. Instead of feeling like a meaningful connection with a character romance options in a lot of these games just end up feeling like mini-games you play in order to see really poorly rendered "Sex" scenes.

I'm gonna see if I can make an auto transcription tonight.

So Windows Defender decided it doesn't like youtube-dl (which I need to grab brightview videos), and I just now figured that out...

Doesn't look like anyone really wants the transcript anyway, but if y'all do, let me know.

Yeah...No. That had nothing to do with romance options being bad in games. They were bad solely because they were poorly written. I mean, fuck, Saint's Row 4 the game where you actually could fuck almost anyone regardless of gender still managed to have some of the best "romance" options in a video game and that game did it as a joke! Paraphrasing it a bit but one of the best descriptions I've seen about video game romance options was that they were about "pestering someone until they agreed to sleep with you". Also, Dragon Age 2 is considered to have some of the worst romance options from a video game despite, almost, every character wanting to bang Hawk regardless of gender.

The romance options are poorly written because the writers either have no bloody clue how to write good romance or the very structure of the game makes it simply not a viable option. Mass Effect failed at it due to the nature of the game preventing meaningful interaction with your chosen partner outside outside of the moments where Shepard is in their face in the ship. Shepard has no part in the incidental dialog mid-mission and none of the story bits in the game actually reflect the relationship going that way. ME2 hand-waves it away by making the ME1 romance options not playable parts of the crew and only Liara actually showing any real effect of a relationship fully developing (though they don't follow up on that in her DLC so the problem still exists). ME3 does even more shitty hand-waving for characters the developers don't want to deal with so if you romanced one of them, too bad. Even if a character you romanced is with you they still don't acknowledge it unless in a specific "romance" cutscene or dialog tree. Instead of feeling like a meaningful connection with a character romance options in a lot of these games just end up feeling like mini-games you play in order to see really poorly rendered "Sex" scenes.
ME3 probably has the most rewarding scenes with the romances even if your LI is someone not even in that game (as a team member). Including but not limited to the citadel dlc. So sorry, citing ME as a bad example is a load of bull.

If you want garbage romance check out AC: Odyssey for example. It's the most shallow uninspiring and unbelievable.

ME3 probably has the most rewarding scenes with the romances even if your LI is someone not even in that game. Including but not limited to the citadel dlc.

For some characters. Though I haven't played any of the post-release DLC for the game so maybe even some of the others get better resolutions.

As I was reading "romance-able characters were too much work to implement, but your companions can blow you" immediately thinking WTF?

"you do love me, right?"

"Always baby"

"Same price as last time?"

"Always, baby"

I'm glad they're not going the romance route if the romance in POE2 is anything to go by (painful to read flirting).

The original Mass Effect trilogy did romance well because they took their time with it (I don't know how Andromeda fared because I haven't played it), the original Dragon Age was well done (maybe because it was more novel at the time) - but yeah, it's hard to pull off successfully.

For myself, the best romance was the one told between Yennifer and Geralt during Witcher 3. Not just the dirty unicorn sex, but the revelations during the Genie quest. It was very well written imo.

ME3 probably has the most rewarding scenes with the romances even if your LI is someone not even in that game (as a team member). Including but not limited to the citadel dlc. So sorry, citing ME as a bad example is a load of bull.

If you want garbage romance check out AC: Odyssey for example. It's the most shallow uninspiring and unbelievable.
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by the relationship outcomes in ME3, especially Miranda.

Back