Game in which you can destroy everything

Nebell

2[H]4U
I'm not interested in GTA/Minecraft nor it fits in what I'm looking for.

One of the best games I've played to "release the steam" was Prototype/Prototype 2. Enter some cheat codes for invincibility and then climb buildings, jump down on cars and people, throw cars and tanks around, fly around and blow up helicopters... It was a fantastic game in every way but especially if you just wanted to destroy things.

I'm surprised that there isn't a game like Prototype but with more destructive freedom and even buildings you can bring down. There is certainly tech for it.
Or maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough.

Any suggestions?

The Original Crysis also let's you destroy a lot of the environnement, but yeah red faction games are know for this.

The Original Crysis also let's you destroy a lot of the environnement, but yeah red faction games are know for this.
My first hour in the game was doing nothing but shooting and running over random trees. I'd also toss a grenade into the hut I was just using as cover before moving on just to see it topple.

Terraria... 200 hours in and I finally destroyed every block

Nice! :D

It's also a good game too. I just leave a server up and running at home. Every so often the kids or I will just connect, make some changes, then leave it again for a while. It's interesting to watch things evolve. We have one world that's almost completely terraformed from the sky down to hell.

There are some voxel games (Voxatron comes to mind) where everything can be destroyed.

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.

I know it's a bit old, but there is no better. Just cause? Pfff
There really is no better. Just Cause just feels watered down by comparison. A personal favorite along with the original on PS2. Sad day when EA closed their studio Pandemic, the studio that was repsonsible for the praised Battlefront series.

You want cheats? Check. Nuclear Bunker Busters? Check. Need I say more? You can grab it on Origin for PC.

Cars, Tanks, APCs, Boats, Oil Rigs, airstrikes, helicopters...? Check. Not a perfect game, but good fun.

Saints Row 3. I know it's GTA style, but it loses the realism in exchange for crazy over the top fun.

Earth defense force, blow up giant bugs, robots and aliens with a huge array of weapons, everything is destructible, and it's co-op four player.

My first hour in the game was doing nothing but shooting and running over random trees. I'd also toss a grenade into the hut I was just using as cover before moving on just to see it topple.

My favorite thing to do was to grab enemies and then switch to super strength and throw them against the walls and tables and obstacles in and around houses. I always wished I could pick up downed enemies to I can play with throwing them around more. lol

I think I'd give the edge to JC2 in terms of fun but Mercs 2 is a close second and when it comes to being able to destroy everything M2 is still king.
There is no way I can even mention any Just cause game on the same page even.
I can't take games that are so unrealistic. It's just no fun at all to me. I remember I was able to play JC2 demo for about 30 seconds before I uninstalled it. Wouldn't touch with a 10 mile pole.

There is no way I can even mention any Just cause game on the same page even.
I can't take games that are so unrealistic. It's just no fun at all to me. I remember I was able to play JC2 demo for about 30 seconds before I uninstalled it. Wouldn't touch with a 10 mile pole.

Wait a sec. A game has to be realistic to be fun? So, you never enjoyed Doom, Quake, System Shock, Castlevania, Mario, Zelda, Tron 2.0, Shogo, F.E.A.R., Riddick, Heavy Metal, Alice, Metroid, Street Fighter, Unreal, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Motocross Madness, BioForge, BloodNet, Syndicate, Ultima, Diablo, Turrican, Archon, M.U.L.E., Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Star Control?

Sorry, got carried away there. :D

These aren't all games that let you destroy everything. Just curious what that reasoning extends to. Or if it's just within the destructible game realm.

Also, I've never played the Just Cause games, so I have not opinion on those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a sec. A game has to be realistic to be fun? So, you never enjoyed Doom, Quake, System Shock, Castlevania, Mario, Zelda, Tron 2.0, Shogo, F.E.A.R., Riddick, Heavy Metal, Alice, Metroid, Street Fighter, Unreal, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Motocross Madness, BioForge, BloodNet, Syndicate, Ultima, Diablo, Turrican, Archon, M.U.L.E., Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Star Control?

Sorry, got carried away there. :D

These aren't all games that let you destroy everything. Just curious what that reasoning extends to. Or if it's just within the destructible game realm.

Also, I've never played the Just Cause games, so I have not opinion on those.
There are two things that make me crazy: When newtonian physics don't apply, and you can do gravity deifying stunts without consequence. And when damage modelling is non-existent or off by a mile: Eg you have to expend a ridicilous amount of ammo to hurt enemies, or when some enemies are simply impervious to damage. A headshot should kill any humanoid. And when I throw a fucking grenade there should be limbs flying off, and not barely scratch enemies that stand 3 feet away from it.

I don't actually remember the damage in JC2, but I do remember that physics was way off from what I'd consider acceptable in a game.

I really enjoyed Just Cause 2. Stuff blows up real good in that game. :) But toppling structures in RF: G is sooo satisfying.

There are two things that make me crazy: When newtonian physics don't apply, and you can do gravity deifying stunts without consequence. And when damage modelling is non-existent or off by a mile: Eg you have to expend a ridicilous amount of ammo to hurt enemies, or when some enemies are simply impervious to damage. A headshot should kill any humanoid. And when I throw a fucking grenade there should be limbs flying off, and not barely scratch enemies that stand 3 feet away from it.

I don't actually remember the damage in JC2, but I do remember that physics was way off from what I'd consider acceptable in a game.

Fair enough. :D

For me it just matters what the game is SUPPOSED to be like. If it’s shooting for realism than of course that’s what I prefer. If it’s not taking itself that seriously I can let it go.

Fair enough. :D

For me it just matters what the game is SUPPOSED to be like. If it’s shooting for realism than of course that’s what I prefer. If it’s not taking itself that seriously I can let it go.
You have to be able to suspend disbelief just like a movie. Games like Super Meat Boy I'm of course not going to care. If something looks real, though, then my brain is going to expect at least some adherence to the laws of physics in the real world. If a game fails to do that then I can't get as engrossed with it.

In the case of Just Cause, I have never played any of the games so I cannot make a judgement for or against it. I will say it looks like a lot of fun, though.

You have to be able to suspend disbelief just like a movie. Games like Super Meat Boy I'm of course not going to care. If something looks real, though, then my brain is going to expect at least some adherence to the laws of physics in the real world. If a game fails to do that then I can't get as engrossed with it.

In the case of Just Cause, I have never played any of the games so I cannot make a judgement for or against it. I will say it looks like a lot of fun, though.

Yeah, I haven't played those games either. They look fun in a ridiculous summer action movie sort of way though. Which is the sort of thing that I can usually shut off my brain a little bit for. I'll poke a bit of fun at it, but don't see a need to pick it apart too much. I should give one of them a try some day though. I hear more good than bad about them.

That's a very good explanation.

Of course I don't expect 100% realism from every game, but I expect some rules that make sense, and not change during the course of the game.

For example I had no problem with the fact that you could fly in SR4 like superman. It made sense in the context, and the flight model was believable as far as superman can be called realistic.

Let's just say I'm not a fan of the double jump. Unless the game explains that you have a jetpack. Everything goes as long as it has a reasonable explanation. But there is nothing reasonable about Just Cause.

That's a very good explanation.

Of course I don't expect 100% realism from every game, but I expect some rules that make sense, and not change during the course of the game.

For example I had no problem with the fact that you could fly in SR4 like superman. It made sense in the context, and the flight model was believable as far as superman can be called realistic.

Let's just say I'm not a fan of the double jump. Unless the game explains that you have a jetpack. Everything goes as long as it has a reasonable explanation. But there is nothing reasonable about Just Cause.

That's a reasonable assessment. I can see that.

Personally, I don't mind that sort of thing, as long as it's how the game was written. If it's like that because it's just plain broken, I might not like it.

As far as double-jumping, for me I see it as a play mechanic. It doesn't make sense from a realism point of view. In fact, just making the character able to jump higher might be better in a lot of cases, as that could come from any number of physical upgrades. That said, I actually kind of like double-jumps. Reminds me of old Castelvania games. It might be a silly mechanic, but I actually find it fun to some degree. Even in the new Doom. Sure, the game would be fine without it, or with a different kind of jump enhancement, but it's still kind of fun, requires a bit of timing, and can even be used tactically sometimes.

I can definitely see why it might be off-putting though also.

Hmm, none or the suggested games are what I'm really looking for.
They are also very different from Prototype where you're a mutant and can basically shapeshift and change your arms into different weapons.
It's a "get close and personal" type of game. I don't like shooters.

Hmm, none or the suggested games are what I'm really looking for.
They are also very different from Prototype where you're a mutant and can basically shapeshift and change your arms into different weapons.
It's a "get close and personal" type of game. I don't like shooters.
Can't really think of more destructive titles, but there is also the Infamous series on Playstation if you have heard of it.

Might have a similar style of combat that you are talking about. Features elements such as superpowers which allow you to levitate, lift and blow up cars.. Throw them etc... Its been awhile. I have not checked out their newest iterations on PS4. Could have something even more destructive than I recall.

Yeah, there are not a lot of games that check all of these boxes. There are plenty of either destructible or close combat. The Dishonored games come to mind for the latter.

That's a reasonable assessment. I can see that.

Personally, I don't mind that sort of thing, as long as it's how the game was written. If it's like that because it's just plain broken, I might not like it.

As far as double-jumping, for me I see it as a play mechanic. It doesn't make sense from a realism point of view. In fact, just making the character able to jump higher might be better in a lot of cases, as that could come from any number of physical upgrades. That said, I actually kind of like double-jumps. Reminds me of old Castelvania games. It might be a silly mechanic, but I actually find it fun to some degree. Even in the new Doom. Sure, the game would be fine without it, or with a different kind of jump enhancement, but it's still kind of fun, requires a bit of timing, and can even be used tactically sometimes.

I can definitely see why it might be off-putting though also.

I preferred the "rocket jump" mechanic from Quake series to get higher "jumps".

Back