Game help needed, I've tried almost everything...

2_hotty

Gawd
Hey guys, I can't get Ghostbusters to load at all. I bought it at D2D. It's not the problem every had where it would load then crash, I can't even install it. Looking for suggestions.

I've tried just about everything I can think of. Updating all drivers, I even upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista Home Premium. (not for the game, just happened to be at the right time)

Anyway, system specs:
2.66 Quad core
4g RAM
1 Tb HD
nVidia 680i SLI with
dual 9800GT's

Here's my issue. When I try and launch the .msi file, I get this error:
"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

When I try and launch the autorun file, I get this:
"16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem. The error says: C:\Users\DOWLO~1\GHOSTB~1\Autorun.exe The NTVDM CPU had encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0003 IP:14ff OP:8e 8f 90 92 92 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

The NTDVM error puzzles me, as I can't figure out why Virtual DOS machine would need to run the installer.

Anyway, I can't even install this program. It simply won't run. I've re-downloaded the game, and D2D's support tells me that there is nothing wrong with the installer, and that it works on Win7 just fine.

Any ideas before I just write this off as total wasted money? Tonight I will try and download it again, maybe 3rd times a charm?

sounds like a corrupt install file.

I've never used D2D though

This may sound silly, but did you use the D2D downloader to unpack it? I've had similar issues before when trying to unpack the archive myself and install, but it worked using the supplied downloader. Sadly I had to launch IE to get it to work.

This may sound silly, but did you use the D2D downloader to unpack it? I've had similar issues before when trying to unpack the archive myself and install, but it worked using the supplied downloader. Sadly I had to launch IE to get it to work.

I didn't actually. I'll try to re-download it right now that way.

EDIT
Downloading it now. That's dirty that it must use IE.

Last edited:
I didn't actually. I'll try to re-download it right now that way.

EDIT
Downloading it now. That's dirty that it must use IE.

I agree re: using IE. I also thought it was strange that when I tried to unpack the ZIP archive myself that it didn't work, but it does using their downloader. If I remember correctly, once it's downloaded, you highlight the download and click the big "play" icon. Then it asks you where you want to unzip everything to, and it will create a directory. Then you double-click the setup file in there, and everything starts installing.

The rare times I've used D2D makes me appreciate Steam....

Holy shit that worked! I know what you mean about D2D vs Steam, especially since the D2D support couldn't tell me what you just did, lol.

Thanks a ton man!

Holy shit that worked! I know what you mean about D2D vs Steam, especially since the D2D support couldn't tell me what you just did, lol.

Thanks a ton man!

No problem, happy to help. Hopefully the game is decent.

I'm diggin it because I like the movies, and its all the original actors doing the voices. The games not real serious, just like the films, so it's pretty cool so far. Thanks again.

Ive never tried the D2D software. Im a big fan of steam.

When it comes to ghostbusters, the graphics are friggin sweet, and it stays true to the movies for the most part. Only thing I didnt like was how repetitive it got after just a few missions. :(

I use Steam for most games. I only bought this on D2D because it was one sale, and I got a $5 off coupon from them for buying Mirrors Edge for $5. Essentially paying nothing for Mirrors Edge, and like $16 for Ghostbusters.

Back