Game Developer Sells His Own Blood On eBay

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
These are actually no longer available from the auction site because they presumably violated eBay’s Human Remains and Body Parts Policy—but those of you who would actually pay thousands of dollars to hang Richard Garriott’s blood on your wall can head over to the Shroud of the Avatar store.

Ultima developer Richard “Lord British” Garriott made a splash by putting an artful reliquary containing his actual blood up for sale on eBay. The listing is now gone, most likely due to Ebay’s strict “Don’t Sell Blood” policy. Promoting and raising money for his crowdfunded RPG Shroud of the Avatar, Garriott and producer Starr “Darkstarr” Long both had blood drawn in order to fill a dozen reliquaries, crafted by artist Steve Brudniak.

This guy just needs to admit that his time is done. Every game he has lead the development team for has been literal shit. My shit is better for this planet than the garbage he puts out.

I liked a lot of the older software he was involved in. The first RPG I played was Ultima 3 - I think it took me about 6 months to finish it on my C64. I played several of the other Ultimas - 4,5, 6 (although not much), 7, 8. Then there was 9. IX came with an apology in the box - wtf? IX was an unplayable turd.

Not too mention, he founded Origin - before EA bought them, they made a lot of cool games back in the day. I respect him as a game developer and business owner. He's got old school cred.

I have no interest in his blood. Why? KISS added some of their blood to the KISS comics years ago. No clue if this helped their sales.

Is it tax deductible? They say it's for charity, and the only way I could remotely justify it is if I got to write almost the entire thing off (and even then I couldn't, but let's just say I really thought it was a work of art).

I can't wait for the single player offline mode of SotA. I may even give the online mode a try when the final wipe happens at the end of this month.

Whelp, the gaming industry is a rather bloody business... :p

Next thing you know he'll put up sweat and tears for auction...

Last edited:
If it isn't a title with the abbreviation UWO, I don't want to see anything from Richard.

Back