Game crashes or black screen

Iowabucks

Limp Gawd
Hi all, i just built this rig a week ago (in my sig) and everything seems to be doing fine, except for one thing.

My game of choice is COD WaW. My system should be more than enough to handle everything at the highest settings. Immediatelly after i change the game resolution to the native 1920 x 1080 the game will either crash or give me a black screen that i cannot get out of without resetting the computer. Sometimes it will wait until i start the game to crash. The video card has the newest driver. I have not tweaked any of the cards setting yet. I even tried a lower resolution and it crashed once and played well another time.

Motherboard drivers and vid card drivers are up to date.

What should i be looking at to resolve this issue?

Last edited:
weird as it sounds check your PSU ( Power Supply) not enough volts or amps is it new? used? ALWAYS buy moar PSU then what you need. Guud Luckz :D

Get MSI AB and down-clock your video card (gpu and mem). Does that cure the crashing? Also try lowering your CPU (below stock) and system memory clocks (1333 CL2, try one stick per channel, etc). Sounds like you've found something that tickles your hardware ...

weird as it sounds check your PSU ( Power Supply) not enough volts or amps is it new? used? ALWAYS buy moar PSU then what you need. Guud Luckz :D

PSU is brand new. What would be the proper way to check the voltage under use? It doesn't restart the computer, just crashes the game or black screen that i can't get out of. I figured 750W would be plenty.

xorbe -- I will try the one stick memory and downclock if i have to. It's a bummer, i wanted to start OC'ing eventually.

xorbe -- I will try the one stick memory and downclock if i have to. It's a bummer, i wanted to start OC'ing eventually.

It just may be something as simple as too aggressive memory timings with that 16GB of ram and 2133

Have you tried running any other games and experienced the same black screen or game crash? I had a similar problem with a gtx 460 (black screen, loud fan, random reboot) and I realized the card was overheating, even from running an old game such as cs:source.

It just may be something as simple as too aggressive memory timings with that 16GB of ram and 2133
I wish it was that easy to figure out....but the memory is still left at the stock settings. Haven't had a chance yet to speed it up.

Have you tried running any other games and experienced the same black screen or game crash? I had a similar problem with a gtx 460 (black screen, loud fan, random reboot) and I realized the card was overheating, even from running an old game such as cs:source.
I have only had this rig up and running for 3 days so far. Haven't had time to try other games, but i will definately do that as soon as i can. Card shouldn't be overheating. I have a fan controller sensor right on one of the GPU's heatpipes, and the highest temp i have seen so far has been about 115 degrees farenheit.

I am running SiSandra right now to try and see if i can find something there. As far as PSU voltages go, in the environment sensors tab, it's telling me the PSU's +5V DC Line is running at 8.14V. The +12V DC Line is running at 7.13V. Of course this is not under load at all. Do those #'s sound about right? Can anybody else confirm what their PSU's are running at? Maybe I'll try to see if i can put a load on this sucker with SISandra still recording the voltages. See if they change at all.
Looks like the voltages stay rock solid right where they are at. Even during heavy gaming.

Last edited:
I tried the video rendering benchmark of the program and did see the temps off my fan controller sensor reach 130 degrees. I thought it was strange because it has this funky looking flashing video it must be rendering, i saw it for 15 seconds then a black screen for the next 15 seconds. But the whole time the temps were going up, even when i wasn't seeing anything but a black screen. Strange.

Wonder if i could be having monitor issues?

I've never seen temps that high for a 670.. In fact, the highest I've seen someone else post was around 80c.

Sounds like you either have a defective sensor, defective fans, or that the thermal compound wasn't applied correctly to the video card and heatsink

Hmmm. Whats the easiest way to verify GPU temps? I didn't see any GPU temps recorded in the SiSandra tools.

The crash or black screen would usually happen right away before the game even got started. So it wasn't after temps got up there.

According to GPU-Z, i did a render test to check GPU temps. It didn't get over 72 degrees C with a load and 46% fan speed. GTX 570's are good to 97 degrees C. (what i read) so temps shouldn't be the issue.

I played for awhile today and it most for the most part. It did have an error pop up at the start of the game that said " Error. Needed to allocate at least 4096.0 to load images." That sound like something i need to change somewhere.

Also, every time i start the game i get popup boxes that say the last time it ran it closed unexpectedly (even if i shut the game down). Do you want to start in safe mode. Hell no. After that it will tell me that my hardware has changed from the last time the game ran (even if it was 2 minutes ago) and i need to change the settings.

Wish i could figure that one out too. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but i would like to know why it tells me that every time.

Last edited:
Ok, it seems like all the errors have stopped after i reinstalled the newest OpenGL download.

Now the only problem is monitor/resolution related. Every time the resolution changes (new map) it goes black and doesn't come back. But if i turn the monitor off and on again, it comes back on. This monitor's native res is 1920 X 1080, right where i have it set at. Win7 drivers should be all i need for this monitor.

Anybody else ever seen this problem?

Back