Game Consoles Edge Closer to Serving as Entertainment Hubs

HardOCP News

[H] News
While this Nielsen study doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, seeing the statistic broken down into separate categories makes for interesting reading.

As U.S. consumers eye a selection of video game consoles this holiday season, their choices offer an increasing array of entertainment features beyond traditional offline gaming. While gaming remains at the forefront of how users say they spend their time with a console, online play and movie/TV show-viewing represent important, but differing aspects, of overall use when comparing Microsoft Xbox 360 to Sony PlayStation 3 to Nintendo Wii. What emerges is a unique profile for each console.

PC's and consoles will merge into one device, then all household devices will merge into 1 central computing device that handles all of the needs.. gaming, business, movies, home management....

A future not too far away.

PC's and consoles will merge into one device, then all household devices will merge into 1 central computing device that handles all of the needs.. gaming, business, movies, home management....

sex, transporation, & existance, too :p

Demo man, Surrogates, and teh matrickx:D

where would you hide pron?

8% listen to mp3's on their Wii? Don't think that's possible without the homebrew hack.

Suprised they didn;t list anyone watching DVD's on thier Wii, since that's also possible :)

Really?

The XBox 360 is about as crappy a "Media Hub" as I've ever seen. Windows Media Player is a better 'Hub'

And it will never do anything more than what Microsoft wants us to be able to do with it. Want to steam ISO's? Don't hold your breath. Microsoft is way too into bed with the AA's to ever allow this sort of thing.

IMHO Media Hubs based on open source foundations are the only one's that will ever satisfy the real enthusiast.

While this Nielsen study doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, seeing the statistic broken down into separate categories makes for interesting reading.

I bought a PS3 for the house 2 years ago.

I have yet to play a single game on it even once.

I have however used it for streaming Netflix, watching blurays, etc. etc.

I can;t wait to use my computer/microwave oven/refrigerator/AR-15/TV/playstation/phone/ebook reader device... :p

8% listen to mp3's on their Wii? Don't think that's possible without the homebrew hack.

Suprised they didn;t list anyone watching DVD's on thier Wii, since that's also possible :)

it said "CDs, MP3s or other online music"

i dont want all my stuff slapped into one. How the heck do u look at pron in the living room while your kids watch spongebob.

dont want my fridge to surf the web or watch tv dont want my console to surf the web. But do love how easy the wii has been to work with. Homebrew ftw

The PS3 we got on Black Friday this year replaced pc and dvd player in our Multi-Media room. We've watched blu-rays, dvd's and streamed media from our DNLA server.

Its cool.

Whats also cool is the 94' McLaren F1 that was gifted to me. ;)

Whats also cool is the 94' McLaren F1 that was gifted to me. ;)

What
BowingSmiley.gif

I am so jelious:p who gets things like that gifted to them. I got a car gave to me once it was a ford pinto. Ok had to reply to the car back on topic now.

Not one computing device but a cloud that exists beyond the home. The wild west where hackers go on raids for personal data.

Yeah, I'm wondering if next gen consoles will instantly allow mouse/keyboard and game mods.

I was one of those ppl who chipped an original xbox early, and tinkered w/ xbmc. This, imo was really the 1st glimpse of what consoles had to eventually become in the future (present?). This was a big deal since it opened a whole can of piracy worms, and I'll admit piracy was the major appeal of the investment in time, money, risk of losing warranty.

But I recall soon after, the xbox became used for gaming less and less. Back then (2002), this was probably the only way to get a divx movie onto the big screen w/o a HTPC. The xbox's optical out meant it integrated easily into home theater systems too. It was an intuitive to use media jukebox like nothing else available at the time. I must've upgraded the HD on that xbox 3x in total, each time thinking it was enough space.
In fact, when the xbox was used for gaming, it was usually to run an emulator for a stroll down nostalgia lane. After 6 years of service, my xbox finally RROD, at which point I picked up a PS3.

I'm totally convinced the PS3 developers were heavily influenced by chipped original xbox. The ability to stream videos from a PC sure beats sending videos from PC to console HD through ftp. The PS3 discs available for purchase containing games from consoles of the 90s. Even the ease in upgrading the PS3s hard drive using a standard PC part. The ability to install linux (well, only on the bigger older ones, which I have).

Its almost like, they looked at a modded xbox, and thought "how can we make it do everything this can do, but better?".

I wish PS3 and XBox 360 supported MKV straight out of the box. I'm using a patriot box to view all my media on the TV as I was sick of losing audio quality for conversions. When any of the two consoles have a shit load of codecs supported especially the MKV container then I'll pick one up for media use.

I wish PS3 and XBox 360 supported MKV straight out of the box. I'm using a patriot box to view all my media on the TV as I was sick of losing audio quality for conversions. When any of the two consoles have a shit load of codecs supported especially the MKV container then I'll pick one up for media use.

This. It would be a huge upgrade for either console to implement native mkv playback.

I already use my 360 as a media center extender -- it's a pretty solid entertainment hub except for mkv support.

Yeah the PS3 already seems to want to do that, it wants to hook up to my printer, and any media center on the network, that's sharing, just needs a keyboard, mouse, and production software like Office, and then it will be a PC (it already uses most of PC technology to work).

I was one of those ppl who chipped an original xbox early, and tinkered w/ xbmc. This, imo was really the 1st glimpse of what consoles had to eventually become in the future (present?). This was a big deal since it opened a whole can of piracy worms, and I'll admit piracy was the major appeal of the investment in time, money, risk of losing warranty.

But I recall soon after, the xbox became used for gaming less and less. Back then (2002), this was probably the only way to get a divx movie onto the big screen w/o a HTPC. The xbox's optical out meant it integrated easily into home theater systems too. It was an intuitive to use media jukebox like nothing else available at the time. I must've upgraded the HD on that xbox 3x in total, each time thinking it was enough space.
In fact, when the xbox was used for gaming, it was usually to run an emulator for a stroll down nostalgia lane. After 6 years of service, my xbox finally RROD, at which point I picked up a PS3.

I'm totally convinced the PS3 developers were heavily influenced by chipped original xbox. The ability to stream videos from a PC sure beats sending videos from PC to console HD through ftp. The PS3 discs available for purchase containing games from consoles of the 90s. Even the ease in upgrading the PS3s hard drive using a standard PC part. The ability to install linux (well, only on the bigger older ones, which I have).

Its almost like, they looked at a modded xbox, and thought "how can we make it do everything this can do, but better?".

The days of modding the original xbox I still have my modded box collecting dust with slayers evo X dashboard. I thought it was awsome burning games to my oversized xbox hard drive and then playing them with no disk. XBMC Media Center which use to be xbox media center has went along way with the tech that was learned from the first days of xbox. I still use xbmc today. I have all my movies stored on a 4tb ftp backup and i have xbmc setup on all my computers to stream my movies from the ftp without having to store them local.

Playstation looked at what everyone was doing and said how can we give them what they want. Microsoft looked at it and said how can we make it hard for them to do that or not do it at all. Microsoft should have just spent more time in building a stable unit out of the box.

it can play mkv out the box, just has to be streamed from a PC, use this

http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/

The days of modding the original xbox I still have my modded box collecting dust with slayers evo X dashboard. I thought it was awsome burning games to my oversized xbox hard drive and then playing them with no disk. XBMC Media Center which use to be xbox media center has went along way with the tech that was learned from the first days of xbox. I still use xbmc today. I have all my movies stored on a 4tb ftp backup and i have xbmc setup on all my computers to stream my movies from the ftp without having to store them local.

Playstation looked at what everyone was doing and said how can we give them what they want. Microsoft looked at it and said how can we make it hard for them to do that or not do it at all. Microsoft should have just spent more time in building a stable unit out of the box.

I was using the same dashboard. I remember the first 7200rpm drive I put in it (maxtor 250gb). Load times were nearly halved when I played off the hard drive. I have suspicions the added heat is what eventually killed my xbox though. So now i'm on the wall as to whether or not I'll throw in a big 7200 rpm drive into my ps3.

I was using the same dashboard. I remember the first 7200rpm drive I put in it (maxtor 250gb). Load times were nearly halved when I played off the hard drive. I have suspicions the added heat is what eventually killed my xbox though. So now i'm on the wall as to whether or not I'll throw in a big 7200 rpm drive into my ps3.

I loved playing the games from the hdd. there is a big difference in the monster maxtor drive and the ps3 2.5 drive I have upgraded several ps3 with 320gb 7200 drives and have not had any problems at all you can always use a slower drive. the ps3 really doesnt need a 7200. the ultimate will be when the big ssd drives come down in price. then we have space speed and low heat the perfect combination

the PS3 has made a pretty big push for HTPC status, I like it as an HTPC, stream netflix, or jump on justin.tv or firstrow.net, my 60GB has usb ports, card reader, and wifi. keyboard and mouse support(outside of games). plays games, blu-rays and movies off an external or networked hard drive.

Back