Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) question.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I searched online but I can't figure out how to change the default installation for all future applications to the SD card? All i've been able to do is go to the app list and "move" apps that give me the option to under "Storage." Searching online I get guides and step-by-steps for earlier versions of Android on this very tablet showing there used to be an option to format the SD card " as internal," however I don't see that option anymore. When I select the memory card and select format it only lets me plainly format the card so everything gets deleted and nothing more.

I searched online but I can't figure out how to change the default installation for all future applications to the SD card? All i've been able to do is go to the app list and "move" apps that give me the option to under "Storage." Searching online I get guides and step-by-steps for earlier versions of Android on this very tablet showing there used to be an option to format the SD card " as internal," however I don't see that option anymore. When I select the memory card and select format it only lets me plainly format the card so everything gets deleted and nothing more.

Didn't that get dropped with newer versions of Android?

Didn't that get dropped with newer versions of Android?
It's still a per-app preference, meaning the app developer can opt-in for external storage preference. The default has always been strictly internal though. And since most apps are built with the default, you'll rarely see the option show up under the app's storage settings.

I think this was always the intent. Sounds like the globally "forced" approach has been removed. I'm sure if you root the device, you can hack this back in.

This would be ideal on say a 16GB tablet with decent specs except for the small internal storage. Unfortunately, it seems like manufacturers like you to upspend on pricey internal storage options. Dealing with this now with a friend of mine and his otherwise functional Lenovo Tab 4. He wants more storage but doesn't want to drop $400 on a Galaxy S series tablet.

Back