Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge

Wow. A whole page of LG talk? Anyway. I'm thinking of buying my sig other a S7 for a bday gift. Presently using a note 4. Still liking the S series here?
I absolutely love my S7 Edge. It's been the best looking phone I've had since my old Iphone 5, and it's the best phone I've ever used (I'm a yearly upgrader). Despite the complaints I've seen, it's durable, snappy, and the screen is gorgeous... Only complaint is, putting a case on this phone really takes away the look...but it feels slippery without one.

I absolutely love my S7 Edge. It's been the best looking phone I've had since my old Iphone 5, and it's the best phone I've ever used (I'm a yearly upgrader). Despite the complaints I've seen, it's durable, snappy, and the screen is gorgeous... Only complaint is, putting a case on this phone really takes away the look...but it feels slippery without one.

Just got mine today. Got a clear soft silicone case.
So far it seems pretty great. camera is super fast, and the screen is perfect.

Coming from the nexus 6p I am very happy with it. the best things I loved about the GS5 are here waterproofing and sd card support and the best screen you can get.

Screen protectors are a pain. Will be hunting for a good fit for this curved screen.

My case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C4DLTP0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just got mine today. Got a clear soft silicone case.
So far it seems pretty great. camera is super fast, and the screen is perfect.

Coming from the nexus 6p I am very happy with it. the best things I loved about the GS5 are here waterproofing and sd card support and the best screen you can get.

Screen protectors are a pain. Will be hunting for a good fit for this curved screen.

My case:
Amazon.com: Orzly® - FlexiCase for SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 EDGE SmartPhone / Phablet (2016 Model) - Protective Flexible Silicon Gel Phone Case in 100% TRANSPARENT: Cell Phones & Accessories
I haven't had a screen protector the whole time owning....no scratches (other than those really really light scratches only seen in the sun at the perfect angle)...so unless you're very persnickety...don't worry about keeping it unwrapped :D

The S7 Edge does seems like a kick butt phone; great screen, best camera, waterproof.

But the locked down, no root BS is a deal breaker, and absolute no buy for me.

The S7 Edge does seems like a kick butt phone; great screen, best camera, waterproof.

I like the hardware, but I'm not running TouchWiz, and I'm not dealing with Samsung's super-slow update cycle and early obsolescence.

Eh. The T-Mobile model is getting updated to the latest Android security patches, sometimes a day or so after the Nexus release. Still worried about major releases like N, but I'll have moved on WAY before O hits.

As far as touchwiz goes? I'm an AOSP guy, actually usually despise Samsung. The S7 is actually quite nice to use, and touchwiz isn't a PITA anymore. Still rather have a Nexus experience on this hardware, but it really shouldn't dissuade you from getting the phone.

I haven't had a screen protector the whole time owning....no scratches (other than those really really light scratches only seen in the sun at the perfect angle)...so unless you're very persnickety...don't worry about keeping it unwrapped :D

Actually after installing the screen protector I got I am pretty pleased with it. A wicked pain to install but the end effect is clear and tight. very nice. Handles the edge very well and looks very clean.

I recommend it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ACXSKAG

After having the Nexus I am fine to have touchwiz again. I just wanted my phone to work and be reliable. The S7 Edge is primo.
Also, the screen size is just right.

Camera is perfect, I got my SD card slot back and best of all it is waterproof. Everything I loved about the GS5 is back and beautiful.

I just got my S7 Edge. Such a joy to use. I put nova launcher on it and I don't even notice touchwiz. Screen is unreal. Fingerprint sensor works perfectly.

The battery life is pretty ridiculous. I'm at ~8 hours on battery with ~4 hours screen on time and still 47% battery left. Been browsing, gaming, videos, Facebook, etc. Awesome.

So glad I got one.

Edit: And cell standby is currently at 21% battery usage because I have shit service. I'll be using airplane mode from now on. That will make a massive difference.

I just got a wireless charger stand. So cool. With the always on feature it is like a nightstand clock on steroids.

Supposedly root has just been achieved on the Sprint S7 Edge. The guy says all U.S. SD820 S7's should be able to be rooted once he releases his method, whenever that is.

But, XDA people saying this could possibly be a short lived thing if patched by carriers right away.

On

If and once root is released for the T-Mobile S7 Edge, I'll upgrade immediately.

Last edited:
Anybody have a good Microsd card recommendation?
I think I want to get a nice fast one. Maybe 128gb.

Or one of the higher rated Sandisk cards. Been happy with my Ultras, but they tend to be a little crazy priced if they aren't on sale big time.

Anybody have a good Microsd card recommendation?
I think I want to get a nice fast one. Maybe 128gb.

Sandisk Ultras and the Samsung Evos are fine for most media consumption. But write speeds on these can be a little longer.

If you copy a lot of files to the SD card often and have a card reader, you may want the ones with faster write speed and maybe an SD Card Reader. The Sandisk Extreme Plus and Sandisk Extreme Pro are good for these uses.

I got like 6-7 hours of screen on time with pure stock. I adjusted settings and disabled apps in app manager. I used package disabled pro to disable a ton of other shit and I think it made my battery worse lol

I got like 6-7 hours of screen on time with pure stock. I adjusted settings and disabled apps in app manager. I used package disabled pro to disable a ton of other shit and I think it made my battery worse lol

Battery seems pretty great so far. But it is a new phone, right they always work great for a month or two.

Nice to have a fast phone that seems to find a decent connetion whereever I go. And damn, that screen is the cats pajamas. Can't get over it.
Have a couple iPhone 6s owners who look at it and start drooling.

Bought my first Samsung device and had to return it, I just couldn't live with touchwiz or good lock. I'm spoiled by stock android. Might want to keep that in mind when buying, go to a store and test it for a while.

I just don't get the touchwiz stuff. This is my first Samsung phone. I put nova launcher on here, disabled all the shit stuff, and it's flawless. I come from a history of Nexus devices and stock Android myself. I just don't see it. The S7 Edge seems to work flawlessly.

What is it about touchwiz that is turning people off? Admittedly, I had that view of it as well before I owned a Samsung phone. It just simply isn't a factor on this phone. I don't get it.

I used Nova Launcher and Package Disabler Pro to eliminate the worst of TW and bloatware on my S7E. Software wasn't my problem with the device. I hated the fingerprint sensor and edge screen.

Yeah, I used to have a Samsung phone and I was okay with Touchwiz (I do, of course, disable stuff). It was never my concern when I was considering the S7E.

I just don't get the touchwiz stuff. This is my first Samsung phone. I put nova launcher on here, disabled all the shit stuff, and it's flawless. I come from a history of Nexus devices and stock Android myself. I just don't see it. The S7 Edge seems to work flawlessly.

What is it about touchwiz that is turning people off? Admittedly, I had that view of it as well before I owned a Samsung phone. It just simply isn't a factor on this phone. I don't get it.

TW is much leaner and faster now. I don't mind it at all this time around.

Samsung reportedly cancels Galaxy S7 Edge Plus, but that doesn't mean they won't have a flagship phablet

Two Galaxy S7's being released on March 11th;

- 5.1" standard Galaxy S7
- 5.5" Edge Galaxy S7

That's it, no S7 Plus, they don't want an 5.7" S7 Plus as they're afraid that's too much of the Note phablet type, which releases late Summer.

Good news are some sweet spec's;

- Samsung will, in fact, implement a microSD slot
- Samsung will employ batteries of 3,000mAh ( S7 ) and 3,600mAh ( S7 Edge ), respectively.
- The devices will have 4GB of RAM and use either Exynos 8890 or Snapdragon 820 ( U.S. ).
- The devices will be water resistant.
- Toned down Touchwiz with direct help from Google
- Improved display technology

With the U.S. versions getting the SD820, does that mean custom ROM development should be pretty good as opposed to the Exynos ? And with the SD820 hopefully CM13 ROM on the S7 ?

The SD820 vs. Samsung's 7420 used in the Note 5 last year. SD820 = 20% faster in single-core, and about 5% slower in multi-core. The SD820 uses 30% less power than the SD810, and is also built on the new smaller die process making it more efficient and cooler running, and the SD820 is 40% faster than the SD810.

I Got a LG G4 not to long ago and end up selling it at a loss. I preferred my old LG G2 screen size. I was surprised at the difference such a small increase would make but it was hard to hold and ended up hurting my hand after single handed use. Go with the G7 Standard IMO.

I got my wireless charger today. It's my first experience with one. Wow, never going back. Absolutely amazing.

I got my wireless charger today. It's my first experience with one. Wow, never going back. Absolutely amazing.

I know it is so great for overnight charging. All my iPhonies are so jelly.

For $20 that charger is awesome.

I know it is so great for overnight charging. All my iPhonies are so jelly.

For $20 that charger is awesome.

Wow I'm definitely gonna buy one of those right now.

You guys using a case with the chargers? Thinking of going with this case: Amazon.com: Galaxy S7 Edge Case, OBLIQ [NaKED SHIELD][Black][Metal Kickstand] Slim Fit Crystal Clear Scratch Resist Heavy Duty Protection Dual Layer Case for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: Cell Phones & Accessories

Really hope I don't have to take it off every time. Would really make wireless charging pointless.

Wow I'm definitely gonna buy one of those right now.

You guys using a case with the chargers? Thinking of going with this case: Amazon.com: Galaxy S7 Edge Case, OBLIQ [NaKED SHIELD][Black][Metal Kickstand] Slim Fit Crystal Clear Scratch Resist Heavy Duty Protection Dual Layer Case for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: Cell Phones & Accessories

Really hope I don't have to take it off every time. Would really make wireless charging pointless.

I use a soft clear "rubber" case and I never have to take it off.
Charger has been great. The light is Blue when there is no phone on it, Green when all charged to 100% and TEAL when charging. I thought that was clever.

I use a soft clear "rubber" case and I never have to take it off.
Charger has been great. The light is Blue when there is no phone on it, Green when all charged to 100% and TEAL when charging. I thought that was clever.

I actually bought this one too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHRA6DG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was only $5 and I generally like slim cases, although I don't usually buy my own phones and would prefer some extra protection for this one, my last phone was lost/stolen and my upgrade (through work) isn't available until Feb.

Figured I'd just pony up the dough for this and sell it when I get my upgrade in Feb.

I am thinking of buying Samsung S7 (not edge). What about those overheating problems reported by some users. Is it a problem with this phone?

I am thinking of buying Samsung S7 (not edge). What about those overheating problems reported by some users. Is it a problem with this phone?

No, not sure what you're referring to. My mom has a S7 non-Edge and hasn't had any overheating issues at least and I haven't seen anything about it in any tech blogs that I frequent every day.

It was a fucked up update on the occolus software that everyone has to install for the gear VR. That's long long since been patched.

Not saying that the phone won't get hot, because it still can and will work prolonged heavy processing load, but nothing that's going to cause any harm.

Back