Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge

Its going to take a long time for the novelty of using your phone over the mag strip reader to wear off my friend. And when it does, its going to save my ass when I forgot my wallet but remembered my phone I can feel it! :D

I'm seriously considering moving my bank account from TD to Wells Fargo solely because TD doesn't support Samsung Pay.

Samsung pay? I dunno if that will ever pickup... I have never even used android pay. Plus if you root your phone, bye bye samsung pay. Don't drink the cool-aid, do you want a good overall experience of a buttload of 1/2 assed features and specs on a software crippled device?

Samsung Pay lets you use your phone to pay at places where you still need magnetic-stripe cards, so it's fairly conservative. With that said, you're right about rooting -- any company that offers tap-to-pay services typically frowns on it, because it calls into question the legitimacy and security of transactions (you don't want hacked phones leaking info or committing fraud).

Does Samsung Pay still work for places that now require smart chips?

Does Samsung Pay still work for places that now require smart chips?
No place requires chip. If you have a chip and pin card you have to use chip and pin if it's available but samsung pay and the supporting CC companies issue you a new CC number that is associated with Samsung pay that ties back to the account. So chip and pin doesn't matter.

It's easy to poo-poo Samsung pay if you've never used it but I must say it's really awesome. I use it constantly and it's saved me from going hungry at lunch the other day when I forgot my wallet at home.

Sounds lame, but honestly it's really fun when some clerk says, "oh we don't accept that" and 2 seconds later they look at you like you performed magic. Priceless.

Yeah they always think you're trying to use apple pay and it goes through just as they finish saying they dont accept it.

How about Galaxy S7 edge?? I have chosen to purchase this mobile. Let me the cons of this mobile???

The curved screen can be annoying, but apparently the international variants have better accidental touch rejection, so that shouldn't be as much of an issue for you. I'd definitely recommend getting a case for it, as the curves, very small side rails, and glass back make for a very slippery phone and repairs are insanely expensive.

It's very quick, very capable, and battery life (with some tweaks -- package disabler is a must) is excellent. I average 6 hours screen on time now with the SD 820 version, and I understand the Exynos version is supposed to be even better. With tweaks and light to moderate use I could see it lasting two days between charges.

As I understand if you use dual sims on the international variants you're losing SD card support, so keep that in mind. That said, if you have a carrier that doesn't install a lot of bloat or buy the phone unlocked, chances are even the 32GB version will have enough space for most people's use.

Both versions are great phones but there are many apps that do not run well on Android 6 and / or don't run well on 820.

Why you should rather get the Exynos version over the Snapdragon, and not just that the Exynos versions are dual-sim:

Why you should rather get the Exynos version over the Snapdragon, and not just that the Exynos versions are dual-sim:

Does the international version support Samsung Pay and Android Pay in the US? I thought I read that it didn't.

Edit: It looks like Samsung Pay is a no go at this point. If you get the international version from a country that already has Android Pay, it will work in the U.S.

Last edited:
820 version will be better for gaming once apps are patched for it.

Well I officially no longer have an s7. Did a jump on it & switched to the LG K7.. Actually feels better in the hand, but overall performs like the 140 dollar phone that it is.

I just couldn't take the Samsung software. Even after changing the launcher to the google now launcher there was too much to annoy me with the phone in just about every menu. Will probably snag a G5 in a few weeks.

If you look at the multitasking, I don't know why else other than Samsung deliberately making the memory management over aggressive on the Snapdragons.

I think it's just obvious that they spent more time optimizing things for their own SOC, and maybe last minute decided on the 820 for the US market. The 820 should perform as good or better in a lot of tasks but the software optimization just isn't there.

No root, no unlocked bootloader, means no buy for me. Especially us [H] crowd, I thought people posting here would be modders, and not accept a Joe Blow public phone with no alterations accepted ?

No root, no unlocked bootloader, means no buy for me. Especially us [H] crowd, I thought people posting here would be modders, and not accept a Joe Blow public phone with no alterations accepted ?

The problem though is this looks like the way things are going in the Android world. We've seen root get harder and harder to achieve. There are devices now that don't have it at all. S7 series is locked down.

The LG G5 is "unlockable". However the fastboot commands are missing. This isn't the first time a device has had missing fastboot commands either. So right now I have an unlocked bootloader but no way to flast TWRP which means no root.

This is just the state of Android now.

jcadduono from XDA said:
turning dm-verity off requires an unlocked device. the G5 is a locked device.

dm-verity is enabled in the boot image via fstab. by changing the boot image, you trigger qualcomm secure boot.
your device will not be able to boot with a modified boot image, nor will it be able to boot with a modified system image.

we'll just have to keep waiting for a manufacturer that is reasonable.

it's a shame that the linux kernel can't save us here. linus torvalds and the maintainers of linux only care about software freedom and not hardware freedom.
the biggest difference between GPLv2 and GPLv3 is that GPLv3 provides hardware freedom.
the linux kernel will always be GPLv2.

In the end you either need to get ready for a root free device or keep shelling out money to beta test Android for Google via a Nexus device.

They have to keep the phone locked down if they want to be taken seriously for security / payment concerns.

They have to keep the phone locked down if they want to be taken seriously for security / payment concerns.

Only because the banks are asshats. They're worried about mobile security when the real problem is no security at merchant served combined with the banks own 1960s magnetic stripe credit card tech

The banks are idiots for their mandates, ignoring the elephant in the room choosing them money

Well I officially no longer have an s7. Did a jump on it & switched to the LG K7.. Actually feels better in the hand, but overall performs like the 140 dollar phone that it is.

I just couldn't take the Samsung software. Even after changing the launcher to the google now launcher there was too much to annoy me with the phone in just about every menu. Will probably snag a G5 in a few weeks.

Wow, A K7. Had to look that shit up. Didn't realize they were still making phones with 480X854 resolution. I thought even the shit shows these days had at least a 720P panel. Wow, talk about a trip down memory lane.

Well Samsung came through and released an update today that fixed the 820 issues. Games/apps that were running like crap now run smooth and the device seems generally more fluid. I now have no complaints w/ this device as someone who came from the iPhone.

Well Samsung came through and released an update today that fixed the 820 issues. Games/apps that were running like crap now run smooth and the device seems generally more fluid. I now have no complaints w/ this device as someone who came from the iPhone.

You on Verizon? Cause I've yet to get an OTA. With my luck they'll take months to get it through.

Yeah, Tmobile. I hate how carriers have control over updates like that. I wish Samsung would push for the Apple model and force for unbranded release of their phones. TouchWiz isn't that bad anymore, but all the carrier bloat and middle manning of device updates is crap.

Wow, A K7. Had to look that shit up. Didn't realize they were still making phones with 480X854 resolution. I thought even the shit shows these days had at least a 720P panel. Wow, talk about a trip down memory lane.
Yep, but I do have a g5 on the way now. This k7 sucks, but it's surprisingly good for 140 bucks brand new. It will take the place of my n5 as the designated backup since it has band 12 support

I just got a update to my Verizon galaxy......................S6 edge. Lol. Just got Marshmellow. Thanks Verizon for keeping me on the cutting edge. On the bright side, the phone does feel snappier. And I like the animations more. Feels a lot more like my girlfriend's S7 edge now. Hopefully the battery lasts a little longer now.

Yep, but I do have a g5 on the way now. This k7 sucks, but it's surprisingly good for 140 bucks brand new. It will take the place of my n5 as the designated backup since it has band 12 support

Well I hope you like the G5 more, but if you returned your S7 for software reasons, you do realize that LG software-wise, is historically just as bad if not worse than Samsung? I had an G3 for a year and a half and although I personally didn't find the software too egregious, I know plenty of other people did. I did have that rooted though with tweekbox and a few other goodies.

Well I hope you like the G5 more, but if you returned your S7 for software reasons, you do realize that LG software-wise, is historically just as bad if not worse than Samsung? I had an G3 for a year and a half and although I personally didn't find the software too egregious, I know plenty of other people did. I did have that rooted though with tweekbox and a few other goodies.

LG isn't great on updates, but to say they are just as bad as Samsung is blasphemy... Hence the s5 is a dog on 5.1.1 and the g3 is getting 6.0.1..

Not to mention the locked boot loader on the s7.

LG isn't great on updates, but to say they are just as bad as Samsung is blasphemy... Hence the s5 is a dog on 5.1.1 and the g3 is getting 6.0.1..

Not to mention the locked boot loader on the s7.

When did I bring up updates? We're talking about two different things here. You mentioned that even after placing Google now on your phone, there "were things on every menu that annoyed you". Which leads me to believe that you're not a fan of how Samsung skins their software correct?

All I'm saying is that if you're looking for a beautifully skinned version of Android, LG is not known for that. If anything it's worse than Samsung. Which is bad obviously. They use all kinds of weird ass color palettes and odd shapes. That's not blasphemy. Just fair warning.

That said, I like LG phones and I hope you do like the G5. I might have been tempted to pick one up but LG making the battery smaller was a huge mistake in my book. I show my support with my wallet and that size battery is unacceptable for 2016.

When did I bring up updates? We're talking about two different things here. You mentioned that even after placing Google now on your phone, there "were things on every menu that annoyed you". Which leads me to believe that you're not a fan of how Samsung skins their software correct?

All I'm saying is that if you're looking for a beautifully skinned version of Android, LG is not known for that. If anything it's worse than Samsung. Which is bad obviously. They use all kinds of weird ass color palettes and odd shapes. That's not blasphemy. Just fair warning.

That said, I like LG phones and I hope you do like the G5. I might have been tempted to pick one up but LG making the battery smaller was a huge mistake in my book. I show my support with my wallet and that size battery is unacceptable for 2016.
Oh ok. Talking about the software in that aspect I find lg to be much less overbearing then anything other then pure Android as is the case on my nexus 5.
And I don't think the battery will be much of an issue. It's only 200 mah smaller then that of the standard s7. If the battery drain is equal then that's more then enough. My s7 lasted much longer then I thought it would. And with the lighter software on the lg I anticipate better life (even without

I found the lg software to be way less intrusive then Samsung's. My last device before the s7 was a g4. And even with this k7 pos is much cleaner.

As for the battery.. If the bloated ass s7 is any indication of the current generations battery life then losing 200mah won't be an issue. The one thing I really have to hand it to with the s7 was that the battery life was awesome.

My wife picked up an S7 over the weekend after years of using an iPhone.
Even though I had an S5, I'm a little surprised how little the main OS has changed thanks to TouchWiz. Her phone running Lollipop looks and operates closer to my KitKat S5 than my Motorola X running Lollipop.
I love the look and shape of the phone, but I've grown to truly hate Samsung's software. It just feels clunky and cheap.

I love the look and shape of the phone, but I've grown to truly hate Samsung's software. It just feels clunky and cheap.

You are still in the honeymoon of touchwiz. Give it 3-4 months when you fast phone turns into a laggy mess. I love Samsung hardware, but man they have a way of royally screwing up the software side of things.

You are still in the honeymoon of touchwiz. Give it 3-4 months when you fast phone turns into a laggy mess. I love Samsung hardware, but man they have a way of royally screwing up the software side of things.

I just hate all of their bundle bloatware that you can't get rid of. I generally hate the look and feel of TouchWiz's menu, too. My S5 never really ran into slowdowns much, but it always felt like a Ferrari with an interiour that a bunch of cats had pissed all over. It irks the hell out of me that the S7 software still looks just as clunky.

I just hate all of their bundle bloatware that you can't get rid of. I generally hate the look and feel of TouchWiz's menu, too. My S5 never really ran into slowdowns much, but it always felt like a Ferrari with an interiour that a bunch of cats had pissed all over. It irks the hell out of me that the S7 software still looks just as clunky.

Good analogy, I like that. There's always cyanogenmod to help out. The problem with Samsung devices though is that they usually take a long time for someone to find a root for.

I love all the hate for the samsung software.. That is the main reason I am now using an LG G5. Its still not as clean as running a straight Nexus Device, but at least after installing the google now launcher it doesnt constantly remind you that its still touchwiz like the S7 does (ie the menu's are much more vanilla instead of everything being touchwiz modified).

After moving over to a Moto X (which is very, very close to vanilla Android), there's no going back. It's just so much cleaner and simpler. The S7 almost feels like two OS's fighting against one another.
Something tells me my wife will probably want to root that phone in about a year. Once you get used to everything and get sick of TouchWiz and Sammy's awful apps. That's what happened to me.

I love all the hate for the samsung software.. That is the main reason I am now using an LG G5. Its still not as clean as running a straight Nexus Device, but at least after installing the google now launcher it doesnt constantly remind you that its still touchwiz like the S7 does (ie the menu's are much more vanilla instead of everything being touchwiz modified).

Ive heard about build quality issues with the G5 (like the battery not going in all the way creating a weird gap). Have you had any with your G5?

Ive heard about build quality issues with the G5 (like the battery not going in all the way creating a weird gap). Have you had any with your G5?
Yep. It's far from perfect, but nothing glaring. I think it should be better for a 600 dollar phone, but it's not horrible either. I work for one of the big 4 and there is probably 20 people I know that all just got g5's and they are all about the same. Nothing that effects functionality, just seems rushed.

Back