Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge

Overall GS7 looks better. One thing I noticed the audio capture was much much better on GS7. Thats what stood out the most and low light performance

Leaked Samsung update roadmap shows Galaxy flagships getting Marshmallow;

I'm having a real hard time supporting Samsung, and even possibly buying the S7 Edge, as great it it seems. The way Samsung basically leaves their last gen phones behind is very disturbing and crappy business practice.

The Note 5 will finally see the Marshmallow update this month, 6+ months after Google released it. And the not so old Galaxy S5 will get it in May, 8 months after Google released it.

The Note 5 is a flagship Samsung device, and six frigging months later since Google released Marshmallow, still no update. WTF ?

What happened to manufacturers promising 90 days for new Android releases ? I'm fine with waiting three months later after a Nexus gets the update, no big deal. But six months plus, and still nothing, F off

The S7 and Note 6 won't see Android-N until after the S8 comes out next April 2017.

Got mine in hand... First Impressions..

Hardware.. Fucking Beautiful..

Software... Not Fucking Beautiful at all.. I have been using the google now launcher on my G4 which didnt make too many changes from google stock anyway. So currently I am a little annoyed. I will probably end up going back to the google now launcher, but for the time being I am going to try touchwiz..

Also the Spigen NeoHybrid case for it is flawless I couldn't ask for a better fit.. I have a total of 4 cases for my G4 that I have cracked so I am apparently hard on case's so I am not sure how the plastic ring around this case is going to hold up.
Did you get the Edge? I am wondering how well cases and screen protectors work on the Edge.

I'm having a real hard time supporting Samsung, and even possibly buying the S7 Edge, as great it it seems. The way Samsung basically leaves their last gen phones behind is very disturbing and crappy business practice.

The Note 5 will finally see the Marshmallow update this month, 6+ months after Google released it. And the not so old Galaxy S5 will get it in May, 8 months after Google released it.

The Note 5 is a flagship Samsung device, and six frigging months later since Google released Marshmallow, still no update. WTF ?

What happened to manufacturers promising 90 days for new Android releases ? I'm fine with waiting three months later after a Nexus gets the update, no big deal. But six months plus, and still nothing, F off

The S7 and Note 6 won't see Android-N until after the S8 comes out next April 2017.
a Samsung promise is like a promise from Lord Vader. The terms keep changing. And you take that TouchWiz and pray that the Empire doesn't fuck it up any further.

Not surprised that the S7's camera trumps that on the iPhone 6s between the extra-wide aperture and the emphasis on low-light performance. I still think the iPhone 6s has a good camera (and it did come out half a year earlier), but Apple really needs to up its game with the iPhone 7.

a Samsung promise is like a promise from Lord Vader. The terms keep changing. And you take that TouchWiz and pray that the Empire doesn't fuck it up any further.

I frigging hate the iPhone, but god damn, Apple knows how to do updates and product launches like no ones business.

When iOS 9.3 launches, all iPhone 6's will get that update, and at the same time same day, doesn't matter if your on ATT or Verizon or some European network, you will all be able to update at the same time, no hassle.

But on Android, the T-Mobile Note 5 might get Marshmallow a week or maybe a month sooner than say ATT's Note 5 Marshmallow update, and Sprint maybe two weeks after T-Mobile, it's a fucking mess. WTF Samsung. And on that principle alone, I have a hard time supporting them, and buying a new Samsung phone.

This new S7 Edge should see Android-N, maybe a month after the S8 release, meaning seven months later after Google releases Android-N to the Nexus line first.

Tens surprised on the internet.

I'm not even sure there's battery life to be destroyed. Preliminary user reports on XDA are that battery life is merely "okay" which is surprising consider the larger battery and supposedly more efficient SoC.

That's too bad, I wonder if they accidentally left the display firmware stuck at max again? :D

I'm not even sure there's battery life to be destroyed. Preliminary user reports on XDA are that battery life is merely "okay" which is surprising consider the larger battery and supposedly more efficient SoC.

So I was getting worried about this. Last night everything sucked. This morning not much better. Dropped 6 percent in my pocket while I drove to work (20 min drive). Charged it back up before my first break. Since then I surfed the net probably an hours worth & I am at 74% remaining. My LG G4 I would of expected to be at about 65-70% with similar usage.

Cant explain what was done differently as all the updates should have been done, but its definitely not dropping like it was.

The setup is seamless and quick the OTG cable included is real useful. I basically transferred all my stuff from my GS6 and the transition is great, it's as is I never changed phones almost. Almost... you'll have to reconfigure/login back into your apps. But apps pics, music, videos and text are all carbon copied over. Don't care what anybody says about "oh my phone is plenty fast blah blah blah" that may be true, but it's also true that the GS7 compared to the GS6 is noticeably faster and quicker. Not to mention TouchWiz has been taken a few notches down compared to its previous iterations. That said there is still some house cleaning to be done. Anandtech's concern about the heatpipe is true, this shit runs pretty warm! Much warmer than the S6 and I predict this will be one of the S7's common complaints. The fingerprint scanner is much quicker than the S6 also

antutu score:

vO3QhzRl.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are all running the Snapdragon right? Mines coming with the Exynos. I suspect I won't have said problems. 810 was the equivalent in ARM of my 3960x.

I'm inclined to agree with @Zocharus about having a hard time wanting to go with Samsung, I personally I'm in perfect position on my plan to upgrade and I really wanted an Edge for some reason, but this concerns me for the future. I did highly consider the G5 but lost interest.

Same story with the Samsung TabPro or Air 3/Pro 9.7. If the TabPro ain't out before it, I'll be picking up the Air 3/Pro 9.7 with good conscience it will be looked after by Apple. Slightly different kettle of fish here, but I want a top notch tablet in the price range of those 2 with a keyboard in the very near near future as I am taking my business to the customer's doorstep within the next month.

And yet these kind of cooling has been used in laptops for years without them ever advertising it as liquid cooling... Standard heat pipe tech that exists way long time ago.

Heat pipe liquid isn't always water. If it's amonia it evaporates rapidly when pressure is released.

Heat pipe liquid isn't always water. If it's amonia it evaporates rapidly when pressure is released.

So they can use ammonia for LCing. Why have I never punched that into google before... I'm guessing its not practical for big desktops?

Well I won't be bored at work today :D

Lol and it will get all the major updates that destroy battery life.

Much like Apple and their "phasing out" of the iPhone 4. I've had to start telling people that the latest update is harder on their batteries in that phone because they keep coming back and telling me the batteries are no good. Work perfectly fine on our work I4S, running iOS 6 or something.

Much like Apple and their "phasing out" of the iPhone 4. I've had to start telling people that the latest update is harder on their batteries in that phone because they keep coming back and telling me the batteries are no good. Work perfectly fine on our work I4S, running iOS 6 or something.
One software release and that was Apple 's transition from single core iPhone 4, to dual core iPhone 4S. I think Apple may be the wrong comparison here.

Yea the update sucked for the 4 but compared to EVERY Android OEM (and to an extent Google/Nexus) Apple is in a world of their own on updates.

Fair enough thats a good point to tell the customers actually.

But yeah Samsung shits me with their updates, seems like the G3 I gave my mrs is always a long way ahead of me. I think hers is 5.1.1 atm, whereas my S5 is still 5.0 or 5.1

So to follow-up on my battery. The first 10% dipped fast again today but since then I'm still sitting at 58%. This is exceeding my expectations on battery life truth be told.

So to follow-up on my battery. The first 10% dipped fast again today but since then I'm still sitting at 58%. This is exceeding my expectations on battery life truth be told.

58% after a full day of 'typical' use after starting with 100% around 8am?

Unplugged it from the charger about 630am. Even played a round of hearthstone and am still sitting at 48

Yeah, battery life on my Edge is actually pretty impressive, in a quiet way. I use it with nav/music for my 30 minute commute both ways, and on my V10 I'd have to spot charge it throughout the day. I left the Edge off the charger today and it went from 6am to 5pm with about 60% left. And this was with relatively heavy use as I was bored and had nothing to do at work, so I was playing with the phone.

You beauty. I was suspicious that the bigger battery was gonna be attributed to some sort of power problem with new processors or something, sounds like that's not the case.

Other tech forums I read, people saying the Edge giving them insane battery life. Like 7h Screen On time.

Other tech forums I read, people saying the Edge giving them insane battery life. Like 7h Screen On time.

Just wait until the Dev community really kicks into gear for this phone. Once root is achieved, aggressive doze can be used. Battery draining services (that are not actively being used) can be disabled. Uninstalling a lot of bloat. I expect around 9hr SoT once root is achieved being the norm, 10+ hr SoT once ROMs & Kernels start coming out.

Phone is going to be an absolute battery-efficient monster shortly

Say what? I'm pretty sure I got my 6.0 update for my Nexus 5 in mid-December, and others were still waiting on it in January. If we get a Note 5 6.0 update in March, it will be a 3 month difference, which is exactly what you're asking for. I mean, it's not an excuse for Samsung taking a long time, but your math doesn't add up.

When did the Nexus 5 come out? And which model is more of the equivalent to the Nexus 5 in terms of timing? And when did Nexus 5X/6P come out? And would you say that timing-wise the Note 5 is more equivalent to which one of those?

Also, the Nexus 5 got Marshmallow 6.0 in November. The Nexus 5 got 6.0.1 in December, merely two weeks after the update was official.

Add up now?

I guess, but that's still 4 months for me. I don't think this is as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be, especially to the average consumer.

Samsung doesn't have direct control of upgrade schedule
stop comparing it to Nexus line
Nexus line should be compared to Iphones if anything

Samsung doesn't have direct control of upgrade schedule
stop comparing it to Nexus line
Nexus line should be compared to Iphones if anything

Why shouldn't we make that comparison? It's the gold standard for timely Android updates, and shows the problems with creating a heavily customized version of Android for the sake of standing out.

And besides, it's not as if you need to take that long even with a moderate amount of customization. HTC, LG and Motorola all push out Android version updates considerably faster. There's a sense that Samsung still doesn't understand the importance of long-term loyalty, and is only concerned with developing whatever will sell its latest phone.

Back