Galaxy S7 Leak Suggests Larger Battery And Return Of MicroSD Slot

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a surprising move, Samsung is reportedly bringing back microSD card support for Galaxy phones. Not only that, rumors suggest they will have the largest batteries in the S line’s history. The Note 6 should be very impressive if any of this spills over to its development.

Rumors corroborate that these long awaited phones could be unveiled this coming February and are slated to go on sale within the same month. Specifically, rumors point to a Feb. 21 Unpacked event.

Good. It took a day and a half to transfer my stuff from the microSD card I had in my S5 to the internal memory in the S6. Much easier to move a card from one phone to the other.

Make it waterproof and keep the gorilla glass thick instead of thinning it to save weight. And why not make the battery replaceable, or just buy the S5.

Two largest reasons I left, SD card and battery. Storage being the larger reason.

Waterproof,micro sd, and 4000+ battery with 5.5+ edged screen and im sold

Sounds good re: the return of SD cards. Now I just wish everybody would go back to removable batteries. Then I wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice or being nice to the battery. I could just buy a second one.

In a surprising move, Samsung is reportedly bringing back microSD card support for Galaxy phones. Not only that, rumors suggest they will have the largest batteries in the S line’s history. The Note 6 should be very impressive if any of this spills over to its development.

Rumors corroborate that these long awaited phones could be unveiled this coming February and are slated to go on sale within the same month. Specifically, rumors point to a Feb. 21 Unpacked event.

I need to remove the battery far more often than I need an sd slot. Obviously I prefer both but one is far more important to me.

Since you can format SD as internal storage starting with MM, there's no reason NOT to bring it back.

Except for RAM Greed by the MFR's of course (Apple).

Two largest reasons I left, SD card and battery. Storage being the larger reason.

Samsung almost lost me as a customer with their new phones.

Couldn't wait any longer as my S3 is starting to have problems, so I'm upgrading to the Note 4.
Still the best phone Samsung makes that takes an SD card.

Besides the lack of an SD card and the non removable battery, they even removed the IR blaster from the S6 and the Note 5. Just to many reasons not to buy the current models.

I need to remove the battery far more often than I need an sd slot. Obviously I prefer both but one is far more important to me.

Phones usually have a way (button combination) to cold boot the phone, so there really isn't a need to pull the battery for a cold boot.

Phones usually have a way (button combination) to cold boot the phone, so there really isn't a need to pull the battery for a cold boot.

Well beside the point that no button combination matters on a completely hard locked phone, I was thinking more in line with the fact that I need a spare battery swap. The way I use my phone I just don't get enough charge out of a car charger for the amount of drain when I'm out of it. It takes me 2 batteries to get through an average day and that is with a phone that is rooted and modded to the point of being far more battery efficient than anything available stock.

Well beside the point that no button combination matters on a completely hard locked phone, I was thinking more in line with the fact that I need a spare battery swap. The way I use my phone I just don't get enough charge out of a car charger for the amount of drain when I'm out of it. It takes me 2 batteries to get through an average day and that is with a phone that is rooted and modded to the point of being far more battery efficient than anything available stock.

So get a battery case or a portable charger. While I think Samsung should have just used a 1080p screen on the S6, most users won't have issues with non-swappable batteries.

My biggest issue was the removal of the SD card. Its why I am still on my s4. The removable battery is nice but I can count on one hand how many times I have had to remove it in over the 2 years I've had it.

Samsung almost lost me as a customer with their new phones.

Couldn't wait any longer as my S3 is starting to have problems, so I'm upgrading to the Note 4.
Still the best phone Samsung makes that takes an SD card.

Besides the lack of an SD card and the non removable battery, they even removed the IR blaster from the S6 and the Note 5. Just to many reasons not to buy the current models.

The S6 has an IR blaster, but the Note 5 does not. I have both.

So get a battery case or a portable charger. While I think Samsung should have just used a 1080p screen on the S6, most users won't have issues with non-swappable batteries.

I'll just get a different phone instead. Sorry but for me those items aren't solutions to bad design. I'm just continually annoyed at the increasingly fewer options for phones not designed to try and lock the owners out.

I'll just get a different phone instead. Sorry but for me those items aren't solutions to bad design. I'm just continually annoyed at the increasingly fewer options for phones not designed to try and lock the owners out.

heeh.yeah. like a certain new operating system.... create a "new and improved" version that has less functionality and options then the former.

They lost me... i'm still on my S3. And if i can't find a phone thgat at least has decent battery and a mSD slot.. they can all E.A.D. and i'll stay on it longer. Sick of people gobbling up new shit just because its new and not because its new nor that much better.

Good, now maybe someone will bring back QWERTY keyboards?

61574090.jpg

If they fix their craptastic phone quality/QC/reliability problems I might move back.

Yep! +1 to the QC comment too. Sometimes I really get fed up with my S5.. That almost makes me want to switch to HTC or Iphone :eek:

I went back to iPhone for that reason. HTC was very tempting though, they had a decent product just poor battery life.

My biggest issue was the removal of the SD card. Its why I am still on my s4. The removable battery is nice but I can count on one hand how many times I have had to remove it in over the 2 years I've had it.

You and me brotha. S4, and it still works fine for what I use it for. 64GB card, for tunes, pics and videos.

Look like I may finally have an upgrade path...

Note 6 seems like it will end up being the "perfect" phone if they do that and add a few more things.
(like front speakers pls)

Before with crappy prematurely dying Sandisk micro SD cards I didn't really care for it but now that Samsung offers fast and reliable MLC Pro+ micro SD cards I'd like to see the return of SD slot. Battery I'm not concerned about since my 3+ year back up Note II original battery is still running strong. iPhone isn't an option since they're more like dumb phones since I can't run tools like Wireshark, Linux shell, file manager, bittorrent, C++ compiler, rsync, etc.

Sounds good re: the return of SD cards. Now I just wish everybody would go back to removable batteries. Then I wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice or being nice to the battery. I could just buy a second one.

I tried doing the multiple batteries thing with my S4. Seems like I just bought a lot of batteries and then had them bulge on me.

I've had more luck with just using one known-good battery and supplement it with a decent power bank.

And I'm currently on the S6. And YES I miss the ability to put in a large SD card.

The problem with SD card and probably the driver for it going away is the abundance of shit knockoffs that cause data loss and lag. I only buy SD cards direct from the manufacturer or Best Buy to limit my risk. It's even worse with batteries especially on older phones where you can no longer get it from the manufacturer and the risk is far greater since it can bulge and damage your phone or screen.

You and me brotha. S4, and it still works fine for what I use it for. 64GB card, for tunes, pics and videos.

Look like I may finally have an upgrade path...

My issue is the cost for the phone even with a 2 year plan.

A few years ago Canadian Telecom companies were no longer allowed to offer 3 year plans because people were stuck on plans with phones that were obsolete or already replaced. Now we have 1 and 2 year plans.

On the previous 3 year plans we could get the phone for $0 but had the contract. Now with the 2 year plans we pay between $200 and $500 PLUS the 2 year plan. On top of that my monthly bill went from $65 a line to $80 a line. So now I pay a premium upfront and more monthly.

Pretty shitty. Its partially why I am still on my S4.. that and the phone still works perfectly and is more than enough for todays applications.

Dont care if there is an sd slot, or a removable battery. Hoping for waterproofing to be big this year

Protip: don't drop your phone in the water. During rainstorms your phone doesn't need to be used. Want to take pictures under water? Buy an underwater camera.

This is great news. When I saw the S6 didn't have a SD slot I figured I was going to have to look at something other than a Samsung when it came time to upgrade. My S5 still works great for what I use it for so I shouldn't have any problems wait for the S7 to drop.

Honestly hardly anyone changes their batteries. Having removable batteries isn't a big deal. SD card...mmm maybe. In the past I have had bad experiences with SD cards becoming unmounted or some other issue. I'd rather them just slap 128gb of onboard storage as standard.

The only way I'd ever buy a Samsung phone again is if it is boot loader unlocked (or easily unlockable) and there is an official CyanogenMod build for it.

They have bastardized Android to unrecognizeability, and added so much useless bloat that it makes me want to cry.

Then again, so have LG and HTC.

Motorola is still pretty good, but who knows what LG is planning for their future devices.

Heck, even OnePlus is starting the Android customization thing. Ugh.

When will these companies realize that we want them to set themselves apart in core performance metrics of the hardware. Good quality screens, fast processors, sdcard slots, replaceable batteries, long battery life.

These are the things that matter.

The OS should be identical across all of them, unmolested by the hardware OEM.

Essentially, the Windows model.

(And while we are at it, let's get rid of all carrier branding in the software, and get rid of carrier or hardware OEM control of updates, and have Google push software patches straight to phones, just like the Windows model.)

Back