Galaxy S4 - Watch Thread....

I was on my S4 pretty hard today, all day and night long, surfing the web, reading XDA, watching YouTube, sending tons of texts, keeping up with the sports scores on my favorite teams playing today, using Sportstacular a lot.

I think almost 6h On Screen time is really good, and blows away my Nexus 4, which was getting around 3.5h to 4h On Screen time. Wonder how well the Nexus 5 will do On Screen time when hammering on the phone all day and night ?

Screenshot_2013-11-03-01-14-52_zpsfbbf384a.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Screenshot_2013-11-03-01-15-00_zps33b07f62.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I doubt it will be competitive with the S4 for on screen time honestly. I think it will be fine for general usage, which seems to be the typical goal of the phone but anything extensive and the phones battery life will plummet.

Hmm I'm currently on 4.2.2 and on the fence about different firmwares to flash.

There's the official 4.3 which I can get via OTA, some cyanogens, the GPE rom and some others I don't really understand (despite reading over the ROMs for quite a while).

I'm basically looking for a GPE style ROM which has some of the samsung apps (IR remote, Camera) or a touchwiz light edition with just those installed. Main purpose is for speed and battery life.

Can anyone recommend something or should I just stick with what I have now?

Hmm I'm currently on 4.2.2 and on the fence about different firmwares to flash.

There's the official 4.3 which I can get via OTA, some cyanogens, the GPE rom and some others I don't really understand (despite reading over the ROMs for quite a while).

I'm basically looking for a GPE style ROM which has some of the samsung apps (IR remote, Camera) or a touchwiz light edition with just those installed. Main purpose is for speed and battery life.

Can anyone recommend something or should I just stick with what I have now?

Which S4 do you have ? If it's ATT, and on the latest MF3 you are out of luck on custom ROM's :( I just upgraded my ATT line last month, my Wife and I got two brand new S4's for only $49 each on renewed contract at Best Buy, couldn't pass that up, but we are on the MF3 firmware :mad:

But I will say this, I LOVE this phone. We can still do 'Root' on this phone, just no Recovery for ROM's, but even with root, I am super happy with this phone, and tweaked it my way, to look like stock vanilla Nexus Android. Bets apps for root on stock;

- Nova launcher
- Greenify
- DroidWall
- Root Explorer
- AdAway
- Xposed framework + "Wanam" mod = Can customize the phone so much more, almost like a custom ROM when done, and only requires root.

With those above apps installed on a rooted stock S4, I don't need a custom ROM, those right there give more than enough control to tweak the phone a million ways beyond stock. With Nova + Xposed you can make this phone so much different wouldn't even know it was a Touchwiz OS. Plus I am getting some pretty awesome battery life.

That's why I upgraded, I dropped my Nexus 4 in September, I cracked the glass, was looking for a better battery life phone anyways. My N4 was only giving me at best 3.5h to 4h On Screen time, and on a heavy workday maybe 10 to 12 hours total usage. And I tweaked the N4 so much for battery savings, it still couldn't last long enough for me. Now the S4 gets almost 50% better battery life than the Nexus 4 did. Plus I love the 1080p screen, beautiful and gorgeous.

I was going to get a Nexus 5, but the smaller 2,300mAh battery worried me, and reading XDA this weekend, I was right, the battery life is not great on the N5, most European guys that have had the phone a few days already, are saying it's maybe 10% better battery than the N4. Getting 4h to 4.5h On Screen time. So it's a hair better battery life than the Nexus 4, but not S4 battery life.

I was going to get a Nexus 5, but the smaller 2,300mAh battery worried me, and reading XDA this weekend, I was right, the battery life is not great on the N5, most European guys that have had the phone a few days already, are saying it's maybe 10% better battery than the N4. Getting 4h to 4.5h On Screen time. So it's a hair better battery life than the Nexus 4, but not S4 battery life.

I was hoping for it to be offered through VZW with knowing that there's a compatibility issue. I don't feel so bad getting S4. Honestly, 3Ah should be the new standard!

Which S4 do you have ? If it's ATT, and on the latest MF3 you are out of luck on custom ROM's :( I just upgraded my ATT line last month, my Wife and I got two brand new S4's for only $49 each on renewed contract at Best Buy, couldn't pass that up, but we are on the MF3 firmware :mad:

But I will say this, I LOVE this phone. We can still do 'Root' on this phone, just no Recovery for ROM's, but even with root, I am super happy with this phone, and tweaked it my way, to look like stock vanilla Nexus Android. Bets apps for root on stock;

- Nova launcher
- Greenify
- DroidWall
- Root Explorer
- AdAway
- Xposed framework + "Wanam" mod = Can customize the phone so much more, almost like a custom ROM when done, and only requires root.

With those above apps installed on a rooted stock S4, I don't need a custom ROM, those right there give more than enough control to tweak the phone a million ways beyond stock. With Nova + Xposed you can make this phone so much different wouldn't even know it was a Touchwiz OS. Plus I am getting some pretty awesome battery life.

Thanks for that. I don't mind Touchwiz actually but would like something lighter for battery purposes if possible.

Actually I'm not such a power user but found the phone to struggle to last one day on very heavy usage outside. I'm considering an extra battery pack at this point. I'm already using the adaptive brightness at -5, bought JuiceDefender and am using the power saving for the CPU.

I'm on an unlocked UBMG5 firmware (not in the US) btw.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I don't mind Touchwiz actually but would like something lighter for battery purposes if possible.

Actually I'm not such a power user but it struggled to last one day on very heavy usage outside. I'm considering an extra battery pack at this point. I'm already using the adaptive brightness at -5, bought JuiceDefender and am using the power saving for the CPU.

I'm on an unlocked UBMG5 firmware (not in the US) btw.

Ok cool. Juice Defender is sort of a dated thing now a days. It was good in the Gingerbread days, but not needed today, and some argue can make battery worse.

Best things for battery life;

- Install Greenify, and freeze apps you don't want running in the background, like Maps, and bunch of other things, that right there helps a lot.

- DroidWall too = Can set apps to never use WiFi or phone network, and you'd be surprised a lot of sneaky apps do try to connect online when your not looking. With DroidWall will stop that from happening.

- AdAway of course too, stops all ads everywhere online and in apps.

And other things to help battery life, I never have 'Location access" on, it's always off, and GPS always off, until I need it only for Navigation. I typically set Sync on weather and e-mail, and other apps, to like 3 hours or longer. Bluetooth off unless really using it. Screen timeout to 30 seconds, I keep brightness typically at 50% most the day, unless outside. I run dark wallpapers to save the AMOLED screen and battery.

Ok cool. Juice Defender is sort of a dated thing now a days. It was good in the Gingerbread days, but not needed today, and some argue can make battery worse.

Best things for battery life;

- Install Greenify, and freeze apps you don't want running in the background, like Maps, and bunch of other things, that right there helps a lot.

- DroidWall too = Can set apps to never use WiFi or phone network, and you'd be surprised a lot of sneaky apps do try to connect online when your not looking. With DroidWall will stop that from happening.

- AdAway of course too, stops all ads everywhere online and in apps.

And other things to help battery life, I never have 'Location access" on, it's always off, and GPS always off, until I need it only for Navigation. I typically set Sync on weather and e-mail, and other apps, to like 3 hours or longer. Bluetooth off unless really using it. Screen timeout to 30 seconds, I keep brightness typically at 50% most the day, unless outside. I run dark wallpapers to save the AMOLED screen and battery.

I'll read up on rooting the phone tomorrow and give it a go before trying a custom ROM.

Seems the apps are pretty good to have given the greenify doesn't really hurt and just hibernates the apps iphone style. Droidwall and adaway seem like must haves too.

Actually, my other power saving stuff includes never syncing (I just go to the browser to check email), always have the GPS off, have the mobile data off, have the juice defender turning off wifi when the screen is off and just now have set a black wallpaper.

Thanks for all the info, I hope this root will do the trick (which makes it feel good not to have updated to 4.3 yet) with knox and all. Some of the features in 4.3 are pretty tempting though.

I'll read up on rooting the phone tomorrow and give it a go before trying a custom ROM.

Seems the apps are pretty good to have given the greenify doesn't really hurt and just hibernates the apps iphone style. Droidwall and adaway seem like must haves too.

Actually, my other power saving stuff includes never syncing (I just go to the browser to check email), always have the GPS off, have the mobile data off, have the juice defender turning off wifi when the screen is off and just now have set a black wallpaper.

Thanks for all the info, I hope this root will do the trick (which makes it feel good not to have updated to 4.3 yet) with knox and all. Some of the features in 4.3 are pretty tempting though.

Are you on a Canadian or European S4 ? My recommendation is only go 4.3 once the official true update is released through your carrier, and update to that. So if it's out now, take the update. And then root, off that and do all these tweaks after.

[ROOT] Kingo Android Root Method
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2473747

Brain dead easy way to root a Samsung Galaxy phone. Plug + Play

Last edited:
I'm on an Asian S4. Not sure which other countries share the same firmware.

The 4.3 is already available via OTA - just held off updating due to the KNOX and 0x1 stuff I've read but don't completely understand.

Edit: This win-based root is pretty cool! Gonna give the knox stuff another read before updating and rooting...

Wow Android phones have come a long way. My wife's first Android, and her latest.

20131103_113051_zps2ddc3071.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

20131103_113348_zpsa9c061a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Wow Android phones have come a long way. My wife's first Android, and her latest.

Yup, I had the original HTC G1 lol. I dont even know where that is buried. If I could find it taking a picture between that and the Galaxy Note 3 would be pretty awesome. Smartphones in general have come a long way, I remember getting my N95 and that was considered the best smartphone before getting the HTC Touch and touchflo blew my mind lol. When I got the HTC Touch Pro with Touchflo 3D I was again blown away, shortly after getting the Touch Pro the G1 came out and I got it because of android and UI wise it was a step backward but everything else was pretty decent. Android had lots of problems and still does but it has finally gotten to the point where I can finally use it as my personal phone 90% of the time except when I need iMessage.

Question on rooting the device -- as I'm either poor at searching or looking in the wrong places:

I've looked into my Apps and find some KNOX apps inside but Odin mode doesn't show a Knox counter.

Is it still safe to root without tripping the knox counter or will I be tripping the counter whatever I do?

Other info that may help
"About Device":

Version 4.2.2
Baseband I9505DUBMG5
Build JDQ39.I9505XXUBMG5
SELinux status Permissive
Secure boot status type Samsung

You should see the Knox counter once you root. If Knox is on the device it will show you rooted the device unless you use a work around.

Hmmm.

So what is the best course of action in case I want to root my phone but not trip the Knox counter?

Root now (with what?) or upgrade to 4.3 then root (is the workaround available already)?

I guess flashing a GPE ROM is out of the question now =/

EDIT:

According to this thread at xda, having a knox enabled bootloader odin mode should look like this:
16272v9.jpg

Mine shows (when I hold volume down + home + power/lock)

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME GTI9505
OFFICIAL BINARY SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
SYSTEM STATUS OFFICIAL
CSB-CONFIG-LSB 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: ENABLE

the phone says "Downloading.... Do not turn off target!!" though.

So apparently I have knox apps in the application manager but no knox bootloader?

I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:
After spending 50 minuets in line and an additional 60 minuets to order and activate all 5 members of my family are rocking free Galaxy S4's.

bestbuy_gs4_blackfriday_zps38e9ae3f.jpg

That group play feature is pretty cool and waiting since July to upgrade really worked out.

Nexus 5 compared to my Galaxy S4.

I have had my ATT S4 for a couple months now, and really like it. And my brother just got his Nexus 5 this past week. Bottom line S4 all the way, I wouldn't do an even trade for the N5 over my S4. And I am a huge Nexus guy, having all four Nexus phones, except the 5.

I dropped and broke my Nexus 4 back in September, and couldn't wait for the Nexus 5 release, so I find a killer deal at Best Buy for new S4's @ $49ea. Was bummed at first, I wouldn't be getting the new Nexus, and had to settle with just a plain Galaxy phone, but I am so happy now that I did.

Quick opinions;

- Screen; Maybe I am used to the Plasma deep blacks of my HDTV at home, but call me crazy, I actually like AMOLED, and love my S4 screen, the reds and blues just pop, and blacks are deep, and viewing angles are great. Where as the Nexus 5 looks washed out, with terrible viewing angles, just like my Nexus 4. I guess the bright whites on the N5 look better, that's about it.

- Performance; I know the benchmarks tell the story, the Snapdragon 800 blows the S4 out of the water. But in real world performance, using both phones side by side for two hours, I could barely tell a difference in speed, just messing around with the phone. But we both have Nova launcher installed, with same settings. I guess the N5 was a hair snappier, but honestly so hard to tell much of a real world difference.

- Battery life; My brother had the phone for maybe 5 days at that point, and he said battery life was ok. He said heavy use would drain the battery down pretty quick, but that standby time was excellent. He said on average was getting like 3.5h to 4h On Screen time. On my S4 I get 5.5h to 6h On Screen time, and my phone with extreme heavy nonstop use lasts 14 to 16 hours, and on light days goes 24+ hours easily. My S4 I know gets better battery life.

- Haptic Feedback; For some reason, I never really like the haptic feel on my Nexus 4, it felt strange compared to other phones I owned. Same feel with the N5, just a weird vibration or cheep rattle feel. My S4 feels more solid when vibrating or using haptic feedback.

- Build Quality; I know the Galaxy S4 is no Lexus, it's still all plastic, but even my Brother commented that the feel of my S4 felt more premium than his N5. He said the volume and power button on my S4 felt solid, and more machined accurately, with a better pressing feel. He said his N5 buttons felt very cheap.

- Bottom line; My Brother is coming from a Galaxy Nexus, and he said to quote "Going from the EVO 4G to Galaxy Nexus felt like a night and day massive upgrade, but going from the Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 5 now, doesn't feel nearly as a big an upgrade" He likes the Nexus 5, but said it just doesn't totally wow him, or blow him away. He said the N5 is cool, he'll keep it, mainly due to the price, and he would never spend over $350 for an off contract phone anyways, so no way would he spend $650 on a flagship phone out of contract. He's on Straight Talk ATT with the N5 by the way.

- Vanilla Android vs TW; I am a big stock Nexus fan, I like pure Android the best. But on my S4, I am running Nova + Kit Kat icon pack, plus Wanam Xposed Framework, and several other rooted tweaks, so my phone doesn't even really like a TW device anymore. I really couldn't tell a massive difference OS wise between both phones.

IMO, I am happy with my Galaxy S4, and I am a big Nexus guy. After playing with my brother's N5, I wouldn't even do an even-Stephen trade for a brand new Nexus 5 over my two month old S4. I like my screen better, I have better battery life, plus i have gotten pretty used to the bottom middle button to press and turn the screen on, I really like that.

Oh well, this is just my opinion. I think the phone for me in 2014, will be a Galaxy S5 Google Play Edition, if they make one.

That Sprink "MK2" update that fixes Sleep Mode issues announced last month, it was downloaded to my phone this morning. That was nice.

I wanted to buy an S4 eventually due to the microsd card and removable battery...but now I don't know what future phone I will buy when my current phone becomes obsolete.

Good news everyone...

goodnewseveryone_zps4c34b3cb.jpg

sprints4kitkatupdate_zps1f59b3b4.jpg

link

Not long after my family and I got our S4's from BestBuy, we got the 4.3 update and my phone got the update after almost a month from the announcement. Hopefully I wont have to wait that long.

Last edited:
hmmm...

kitkatupdate01_zps3d085749.jpg
kitkatupdate02_zpsbf057b84.jpg

kitkatupdate03_zps35364fb6.jpg
kitkatupdate04_zps6757d761.jpg

kitkatupdate05_zpsa004d0eb.jpg
kitkatupdate06_zpsb3dea5d4.jpg

Bricked :(:confused:

After some head scratching and Google-fu, I learned that Sprint's 4.3 update would not work with anything older (which I was using, trying to get back to stock). So I was able to get 4.3 working again a day later. Later that same day I got an OTA update that failed again. :confused: But at least my phone wasn't bricked.

Finally after finding the complete Sprint S4 NAE 4.4.2 tar rom, an Odin flash was successful a few hours ago.

kitkatupdate07_zps8d036d56.jpg
kitkatupdate09_zpsec76cac4.jpg

kitkatupdate10_zpsde12ea27.jpg
kitkatupdate08_zps0bc36cb2.jpg

kitkatupdate11_zpsd306b2fa.jpg

So you were on 4.2 somehow and got the 4.4 update?

How is it so far? Hoping Verizon's update isn't much further away since they were the first to push out 4.3 on the GS4. The big difference for 4.3 on the Verizon GS4 was that Verizon finally allowed Blocking Mode and ditched the persistent WiFi notification. It seems like the KitKat update isn't bringing much functionality changes to the GS4 and I can't imagine it making it much faster.

So you were on 4.2 somehow and got the 4.4 update?
I had the latest MK2 4.3 update and an OTA update failed.

How is it so far?

Thus far:

-Notification icons are all white
-Had to use a new different version of Smart Launcher (now using SL2)
-Camera icon on lock screen is a lot faster than TouchWiz's LockscreenSwipe from right for camera)
-Fieldrunners HD has problems with rendering.
-too soon to tell if battery life is better
-Speedwise, first launching Youtube hasn't changed but Smart Launcher 2's bubble's show up faster.

If anyone is interested..I ordered a ZeroLemon 7500 mAH battery from Amazon a couple of weeks ago...after 2 full discharge/charging cycles I managed to get a little over 6 days of battery life (normal usage). Recommended settings are to do 5-6 full discharge/charge cycles. I also use the android tuner app for a few power saving tweaks. Battery adds some bulk and weight to the phone but I love it. usually when I need to do a full recharge, I use the ZeroLemon external battery wall charger and go back to using stock battery for a day.

If anyone is interested..I ordered a ZeroLemon 7500 mAH battery from Amazon a couple of weeks ago...

How thick is it now? Before my S4, I was using a Motorola Photon 4G in a TPU case. I have my S4 in a clear TPU case and it is just as thick as the Photon 4G without its case. So I'm curious to see the difference of the ZeroLemon S4 vs the Photon 4G w/ TPU case.

Oh I see that the battery covers the speaker, so whats the sound difference like?

How thick is it now? Before my S4, I was using a Motorola Photon 4G in a TPU case. I have my S4 in a clear TPU case and it is just as thick as the Photon 4G without its case. So I'm curious to see the difference of the ZeroLemon S4 vs the Photon 4G w/ TPU case.

Oh I see that the battery covers the speaker, so whats the sound difference like?

The sound difference is really insignificant for me, I tested it with music and movies and it seemed fine...how often does one use the speaker anyway?...there were recommendations to fold up a little piece of paper a few times and stick it under the battery to create some space but I didn't even have to do that..there's holes in the bottom (not the back) of the case for the sound output.

Either way, 6 days on 1 full charge! The benefits outweigh the drawbacks as far as I'm concerned..and I had to forcefully drain down my battery down after the 6th day just to get it down to 2% so i could recharge it again, may have last for a 7th day if I let it go, but I wanted to do a full recharge over night. My stock battery wasn't even lasting 1 day without being constantly connected to a usb.

Picked up an S4 yesterday with an upgrade after being on a Motorola Droid 4 for 2 years. I got the OtterBox Defender case, just monstrous. I didn't see the sense in waiting 2 months for the S5.

I dig this phone. I turned off all of the goofy gestures, won't even mess with them.

Back