Galaxy S4 and HTC One can be converted to Google Editions (restrictions)

Medion

[H]ard|Gawd
I will try to keep this thread updated with relevant information. This first post will be more speculative and become more factual with subsequent edits.

HTC One:
-There are already several ports of the GE ROM to various HTC One branded versions. Tickdroid is one ROM, but there are others.
-HTC will allow users of GPE, unlocked, and developer editions to switch ROM paths.

Samsung Galaxy S4:
-There's a near-complete port of the GE ROM for the unlocked international i9505 model.
-The S4 GE SYSTEM DUMP has been flashed to the T-Mobile variant, making it essentially a GE. This just happened today, so I cannot confirm at this time if it is a full conversion (IE, updates straight from Google OTA). Device ID changes from 919 to i9505G.
-Ports are underway for the various carrier-branded versions in differing stages of progress.
-Android 4.3 has already been leaked for the GPE, and it is stable. It is believed to either be a near-final release.
-STORAGE: GPE has 12.65GB available to the user. A TW model flashed with GPE ROM has 9.72GB available to the user due to partitioning.

AOSP:
-For whatever reason I do not know, the firmware will not be in Google's AOSP repository. The firmware on the device is entirely Google, except the kernel, which is done by HTC/Samsung. Both OEMs released the full kernels prior to device sales, so again, I'm unsure of why no AOSP support.

Updates:
-Google will develop the core firmware, and the OEM will handle the kernel. Point releases (IE, 4.1.1 to 4.1.2) rarely need a new kernel unless the update was to patch a bug in the kernel. So most updates will be quick. Larger releases (4.1.x to 4.2.x) will require a new kernel. Expect a 2-4 week delay (possibly less) between Nexus updates and GE devices. Rumors have the S4 GE firmware update as being "imminent."

Last edited:
As for me, I rolled the dice. I ordered my accessories from Amazon and they will arrive on Monday. Monday after work, I'll head to the local T-Mobile and get a black S4 out the door for $100 + tax. This will save me $80+ tax in the long run, not to mention cheaper up front costs. I'll use Touchwiz for the first week or so, and unless I REALLY like it, I'll switch over to the GE ROM.

Update.

Android 4.3 has been leaked for the Galaxy S4 GPE, and ports are underway to all Snapdragon variants.

I really like the S4. I'm a pentile hater, but I didn't even think about that when looking at the screen. I think I'd still prefer the HTC One's screen, but the 2 button scheme kills it for me.

Couldn't take the risk of there being no Odin TAR file. Not liking that I'd have to wait for a ROM (even if it is within 24 hours of release) of an update, and then flash. By getting the GPE, I get my phone sim unlocked from day one, I get the proper partitioning, and I get the GPE ROM with OTA updates and no compromises.

Swapped my case choice. I'll have it in by Wednesday along with the aluminum home button and the SGP Glas.Tr. I'll order the GPE S4 this week and hope to have it no later than mid-July.

Last edited:
The reason why factory images and binaries will not be hosted by Google is because these are not Nexus devices.

People immediately jumped to conclusions simply because they are AOSP.

They will get updates to new versions of Android faster than the OEM skin versions but updates are still coming from the OEM.

I find it laughable that people demanded AOSP and they get it and now those same people are bitching because it isn't being treated like a Nexus.

The reason why factory images and binaries will not be hosted by Google is because these are not Nexus devices.

Correct. It's up to the OEM to host the image. So far, both HTC and Samsung have released the kernel sources (as they are obligated to). HTC has publically mulled the idea of making the full binary available to unlocked users. Samsung has likely discussed it privately.

People immediately jumped to conclusions simply because they are AOSP.

One minor correction, these are not AOSP. AOSP means that the entire project is open source (like Sony's AOSP Xperia releases). The HTC One and Galaxy S4 GPEs are not AOSP at this time, nor are there any plans for them to go AOSP.

They will get updates to new versions of Android faster than the OEM skin versions but updates are still coming from the OEM.

The kernel comes from the OEM. The rest comes from Google. Google pushes the final update.

I find it laughable that people demanded AOSP and they get it and now those same people are bitching because it isn't being treated like a Nexus.

Agreed. However, the US is the worst market for this product (not that any involved care about sales figures for this). Most global users are used to paying full price for phones. Americans are used to subsidized handsets.

Hows that laughable? The kind of audience that would go for these phones would generally want the kind of excellent update experience that a Nexus phone would give them...

Hows that laughable? The kind of audience that would go for these phones would generally want the kind of excellent update experience that a Nexus phone would give them...

That's just it though. The people who want a Nexus experience would already have a Nexus phone.

People wanted stock Android on non-Nexus devices. They got stock Android on non-Nexus devices. People now bitch because it isn't like a Nexus. IT ISN'T A NEXUS.

These are not AOSP supported devices. These are not Google supported devices. These are simply devices that have stock Android. No more, no less.

If anybody thought it'd be more than that...well that's their own fault. That's why it's laughable.

Agreed, and just to expand further on what you said.

People complained about the limitations of the Nexus 4 (and previous Nexus devices). They're aren't high-end enough. Don't have LTE. Camera is too weak. Too little/non-expandable storage. They wanted stock Android on a flagship device. So when it finally happens, now they want it to be like a Nexus.

I've been asking for a device like this for years? What's my response? BOUGHT!

Good thread Medion.

So you bought the T-Mobile S4. Ok, gonna follow posts on this for sure, very interested, I might do the same.

So can the T-Mobile be truly rooted and unlocked ? Unlike the ATT S4 which needs a a special "Loki patch" ?

Good thread Medion.

So you bought the T-Mobile S4. Ok, gonna follow posts on this for sure, very interested, I might do the same.

So can the T-Mobile be truly rooted and unlocked ? Unlike the ATT S4 which needs a a special "Loki patch" ?

Not quite. I'm as bad as a woman shopping for shoes. I do my finance closeouts around the first of the month, So, I purchased a case for white and for black (will returned the unused, unopened one).

I will purchase my phone next week. I'm leaning towards the GPE for simplicity. It's a GPE out of the box. For me to get the T-Mobile version, I'd want to see a complete ODIN TAR that converts it to a GPE. We've had one developer make an ODIN TAR file from the system dump, but it lacks the bootloader and PIT file for the GPE.

I will have a Galaxy S4 GPE within the next two weeks. I won't know for certain until next week whether I get the GPE or the T-Mobile and convert to GPE.

Somewhat old info, probably been referenced in other threads, but it's worth repeating for clarity.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013...one-and-galaxy-s-4-arent-quite-nexus-devices/

We've confirmed with Google that the company is in fact working closely with both manufacturers to release software updates for each phone, and that Google and the OEMs will release their respective updates after a new version of Android is released.

The update process, based on multiple sources, seems to go like this:
-Google works on AOSP version of Android software, porting it to GPE and Nexus devices. (NOTE: software will not be released under AOSP terms)
-Samsung/HTC, simultaneously, work on the kernel for their GPE devices.
-When all parts are done, Google pushes the update out for all devices.
-Due to the fact that the kernel is being developed by the OEM, but the device requires finalized firmware from Google, a GPE will never get an Android update faster than a Nexus. However, the Nexus won't necessarily be faster than the GPE either. They can be released simultaneously.

Ultimately, updates will depend on whatever deals Google made with Samsung and HTC. Right now, the S4 and One are their respective flagship devices, so these devices get kernel priority regardless. Updates should be fast (as the kernel is rarely the item slowing the update process, as we've seen from numerous leaks). However, how much will Samsung/HTC contribute when next year's flagships rollout? I suspect updates will be slower then.

Also, how long will these devices be supported? Google has shown a desire to support two concurrent devices. So when the "Nexus 5" rolls out, the Galaxy Nexus will be dropped. When the "Nexus 6" rolls out in late 2014, the Nexus 4 will be dropped. Will these GPE devices fall on the same update path as the Nexus 4, or the Nexus 5?

The main problem here is that, with a Nexus, support is dropped when Google says so. With these devices, there are two parties required for the device to get an update. If either bails, that means we're done. At this point, we can't even speculate on how that will go, as we're in totally new territory. If Google or an OEM bails early on one of these devices, we're stuck with either an outdated device, or swapping to CM...which puts us exactly where we'd be if we had gotten the carrier-branded device.

All of this is just speculation, of course. I'm one of those people willing to roll the dice. Time will tell how well this experiment works out :)

Also:

Klug added that HTC will offer the option for users to flash the GPe ROM on the Developer Edition One devices, and vice-versa.

Huge bonus to HTC users right there!

Back