Galaxy S3 Root and rom

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Normally i would just google search for this. But everyone here is more pro with this then i am. I have a few questions. This is for an AT&T.

someone on here recomended me the Viscous ROM for my nexus and its perfect. Thats what im looking for here.

A 4.0.x Rom thats lean or a 4.1.x rom that is also lean. I have noticed that the jellybean roms for this are still very buggy.

Any help is appreciated. If you have any guide recommendations for rooting that would be cool to.

CyanogenMod 10 is 4.1.1
Only issue I have is camera, but camera is working for other people... I am on verizon though

What will perform an Nandroid backup without root or unlock?
I don't think anything will provide that function as it would need root privileges to do that operation.

There are multiple ways of rooting, some trigger the flash counter and some that don't. If you aren't comfortable using some form of CLI, you could probably find a one-click root application that'll do just fine.

As you've discovered, Jelly Bean is still relatively new and still buggy for this device so you would be much better off with a Touch Wiz based ROM or ICS ROM in my opinion. I don't have ATT so I can't really point you out in the right direction as to which ROM would suit your needs. Definitely take a gander at XDA as that's where I get all my ROMs/Recoveries/etc from.

CyanogenMod 10 is 4.1.1
Only issue I have is camera, but camera is working for other people... I am on verizon though

Since moving to CyanogenMod 10 on my (Verizon) G-Nex, it seems better but it doesn't include any of the google apps like gmail (because it's a beta). Heck I don't even have the google play app. Even when I go to the google play website, it says apps are installed on my device that aren't installed on my device and it won't let me reinstall them...lol. What am I missing here?

Just thought I'd ask since you mentioned it.

Since moving to CyanogenMod 10 on my (Verizon) G-Nex, it seems better but it doesn't include any of the google apps like gmail (because it's a beta). Heck I don't even have the google play app. Even when I go to the google play website, it says apps are installed on my device that aren't installed on my device and it won't let me reinstall them...lol. What am I missing here?

Just thought I'd ask since you mentioned it.
Are you sure you are flashing the GApps package after flashing the ROM? This will add things like the Play Store and Gmail as they are removed from the base ROM.

Are you sure you are flashing the GApps package after flashing the ROM? This will add things like the Play Store and Gmail as they are removed from the base ROM.
No, where do I get that? It was my first time flashing to a beta ROM that was missing this stuff. :confused:

I don't think anything will provide that function as it would need root privileges to do that operation.

There are multiple ways of rooting, some trigger the flash counter and some that don't. If you aren't comfortable using some form of CLI, you could probably find a one-click root application that'll do just fine.

As you've discovered, Jelly Bean is still relatively new and still buggy for this device so you would be much better off with a Touch Wiz based ROM or ICS ROM in my opinion. I don't have ATT so I can't really point you out in the right direction as to which ROM would suit your needs. Definitely take a gander at XDA as that's where I get all my ROMs/Recoveries/etc from.

Was going to do Cyanogenmod 9 ICS. Its my brothers phone and i think he wants to get rid of touchwiz. Is there any way to back up all his texts, calls, and apps? I wanted to do that with mine but couldnt find a way without unlocking the phone first which wipes it making it null. Then someone said it was possible.

No, where do I get that? It was my first time flashing to a beta ROM that was missing this stuff. :confused:
Always check for GApps packages when downloading a ROM. It should tell you this in the OP especially if you are getting stuff from XDA. Anyway, I always get it from http://goo.im/gapps

Filename meanings:
gapps-gb = Google Apps for Ginger Bread
gapps-ics = Google Apps for Ice Cream Sandwich
gapps-jb = Google Apps for Jelly Bean

A link to latest Jelly Bean GApps:
http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip
Was going to do Cyanogenmod 9 ICS. Its my brothers phone and i think he wants to get rid of touchwiz. Is there any way to back up all his texts, calls, and apps? I wanted to do that with mine but couldnt find a way without unlocking the phone first which wipes it making it null. Then someone said it was possible.
Cyanogenmod hasn't exactly been the most stable for me so I much prefer something like AOKP if I'm going the stock route.

As for backing up texts and the like, you should be able to root without losing any of that but you could use 'SMS Backup' to at least back up the texts. As far as apps, probably not without root.

If there is a method of rooting that ensures data isn't lost (I know a way for Sprint but not any others) then you can get Titanium Backup or ROM Toolbox Pro to back up anything and everything.

Last edited:
Im rooted and using clockworkmod stiff. Factory rom still because i acrually like ics. Do a search on android authority. They have rooting guides for all of the gs3 models

Tango,

When you receive texts and your screen is off, does it light up or anything? Mine just makes the noise and then the LED will flash but the screen itself doesn't do anything.

I'm running the AOKP on a AT&T S3.

Not sure if liquid smooth exists for the ATT version, but if it does I would try that. I'm loving it on my Verizon s3.

Not sure if liquid smooth exists for the ATT version, but if it does I would try that. I'm loving it on my Verizon s3.

You have any links on semi retarded people to root and rom this phone? Is there a program like with the galaxy nexus?

Funny, I just got around to rooting my AT&T S3 yesterday after two months of ownership. I defaulted to CM10 (since I used CM for awhile on my last phone) and have been pleasantly surprised so far. The phone was so fast with stock Touchwiz that I doubted I'd see much performance difference, but CM10/AOSP is truly smooth as butter. Haven't seen a single glitch so far, and camera works fine. Highly recommended.

BTW, I'm using CM10 stable (released in November), not 10.1 nightly.

10.1 nightly could break your data, at least it did on my verizon GS3. Liquid Smooth is up to 4.2.1. I like it so far...but really wish they'd release a new Paranoid Android.

I'd imagine if they have it working on the Verizon, the AT&T should be a no-brainer, as they didn't lock anything out.

I looked at liquid smooth but they only list the I9300 GS3 phone. Specifically that phone doesnt have a 4G radio like the SGH-717 GS3.

Looking to do this tomm. Need to know if i9300 roms work fine on non i9300 phones.
I wouldn't even think about it if I were you. I was just on XDA forums a few days ago when I rooted my i747 and read a few reports of fellow AT&T users bricking their phones by flashing an i9300 ROM. You absolutely want to make sure any ROM you load is intended for your carrier's specific variant of the S3, unless you own the international version.

I wouldn't even think about it if I were you. I was just on XDA forums a few days ago when I rooted my i747 and read a few reports of fellow AT&T users bricking their phones by flashing an i9300 ROM. You absolutely want to make sure any ROM you load is intended for your carrier's specific variant of the S3, unless you own the international version.
Thats what i thought.

Which rom did you use? I read the thread on liquidsmooth and ATT people are running that rom. But when i go to download it only shows the i9300 unless there is a diff name for the ATT GS3?

Here the downloads page.
http://goo.im/devs/liquidsmooth/RC9

That i got from here.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1965666

From that list the d2vzw is the Verizon S3. I747 should be the ATT version but I believe its the d2att one in the listing.

Last edited:
LOL whats D2 mean? I thought that was Droid 2 for each carrier. I know they are code names. My VZW GNEX is maguro and i know the GSM version is Toro but i couldnt find a codename for the GS3.

I have a Verizon GS3 and having tried pretty much all the rooms, the TouchWiz ones are more feature packed and just as fast as the AOSP ones. TouchWiz is much better than other oem skins and I have no issues with it.

for me, Touchwiz's only problem were those damned dripping sounds. I always use a different launcher anyway (Apex). My reason for switching to CyanogenMod were some extra features it allowed, a better release schedule, and not having to worry about Verizon/Samsung removing features like they were rumored to (universal search).

Paranoid Android has been my favorite thus far, but it's not on 4.2 yet.

While it may not matter as much now, there was Jellywiz for those that liked Jelly Bean but still wanted Touchwiz features.

LOL whats D2 mean? I thought that was Droid 2 for each carrier. I know they are code names. My VZW GNEX is maguro and i know the GSM version is Toro but i couldnt find a codename for the GS3.
It is d2att and d2vzw for the S3. To answer your other question above, I used CM10 for model d2att. Never looked into Liquid Smooth or others since I want the most stable experience possible, which I imagine is more likely with a widely-used and well-tested ROM.

I have a Verizon GS3 and having tried pretty much all the rooms, the TouchWiz ones are more feature packed and just as fast as the AOSP ones. TouchWiz is much better than other oem skins and I have no issues with it.
I agree that TouchWiz is far less offensive than, say, HTC Sense. It was decent enough that I waited over 2 months to root my S3, after initially expecting I'd do it out of the box. (Not coincidentally, my last phone was HTC, so you can see where that expectation came from).

However, comparing stock TouchWiz vs. CM10, the latter is the clear winner in most every regard. AOSP JB is a marvelous and beautiful OS that none of the overseas OEMs can make better with their overlays, even Samsung. Performance, while impressively snappy stock, is noticeably more flawless and buttery with AOSP. I've seen zero glitches thus far with anything -- camera, SMS, LED notifications, etc. The one and only sticking point is that battery life may be slightly worse during heavy use in CM10, but nowhere near enough so to offset all the advantages. (FWIW, it also seems like battery life when idle is better than stock in CM10, which helps offset that).

Of course, I never used any of the TouchWiz-exclusive features like S-Voice to begin with, so I had nothing to lose by switching. For someone who does use them, it might be a closer call.

Back