Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 upgrade under ~$350?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have used this thing every day for 6 years and it has refused to die. I've dropped it countless times, thrown it, stepped on it on multiple occasions breaking 5 glass screen protectors until finally just going bare. I really, really wish I could keep it but the hardware is too old and common tasks like streaming and browsing are becoming more than it can handle.

Are there any options in the 350 range that are at the very least 10" and 1080 (preferably something closer to the Note's 2560x1600)? Form factor is not a big deal, but I'd like to stay away from laptops and hybrids thereof due to the shitty displays at this price level.

do a search for samsung galaxy tab s - windows tablet with oled screen.

Reactions: viivo
like this
I have used this thing every day for 6 years and it has refused to die. I've dropped it countless times, thrown it, stepped on it on multiple occasions breaking 5 glass screen protectors until finally just going bare. I really, really wish I could keep it but the hardware is too old and common tasks like streaming and browsing are becoming more than it can handle.

Are there any options in the 350 range that are at the very least 10" and 1080 (preferably something closer to the Note's 2560x1600)? Form factor is not a big deal, but I'd like to stay away from laptops and hybrids thereof due to the shitty displays at this price level.

Do you want a pen, or are you just looking for a large-ish tablet?

It might be tricky to find a comparable tablet in the $350 range. Samsung's Galaxy Tab S5e starts at $400, although there are murmurs of a Tab S6 Lite that could push the S5e's price lower.

And if you're not wedded to Android, the base iPad starts at $329 and supports pen input if you're willing to buy a stylus (like the Pencil or Logitech's Crayon).

like this
Despite also owning a Note phone I have absolutely no need for a stylus. Large, yes, but a quality display is the most important. OS isn't a big deal, but I assumed I'd be locked in to Android or Windows. I may up the budget by 100 if there's a larger selection there.

Despite also owning a Note phone I have absolutely no need for a stylus. Large, yes, but a quality display is the most important. OS isn't a big deal, but I assumed I'd be locked in to Android or Windows. I may up the budget by 100 if there's a larger selection there.

It'd definitely give you some breathing room to go to $450 (or even $500). You could get more storage or just a higher-end model.

I mentioned the iPad in part because the tablet world has not been kind to Android or Windows over the past few years (just try finding good mid-range Android tablets), but Apple has also spent a lot of time improving the iPad's interface. There are probably still areas where you might prefer the Note Pro 12.2's UI, but you really can multitask and otherwise be productive.

like this
It'd definitely give you some breathing room to go to $450 (or even $500). You could get more storage or just a higher-end model.

I mentioned the iPad in part because the tablet world has not been kind to Android or Windows over the past few years (just try finding good mid-range Android tablets), but Apple has also spent a lot of time improving the iPad's interface. There are probably still areas where you might prefer the Note Pro 12.2's UI, but you really can multitask and otherwise be productive.

The iPad for $279 is mighty tempting. My main uses are streaming from a service or my own media server and browsing. The problem with the 12.2 is I can't use the best encoders when ripping video since it can't reliably decode recent codecs or high bitrate video.

If the new iPad can do those things I have no problem switching. I enjoy rooting and taking control of my devices, but sometimes I just want it to work.

The only tabs I could recommend at this point for anything are iPads and Windows tabs. Android is pretty much dead on tablets and even new ones have relatively weak hardware and comparatively abysmal software support.

The iPad for $279 is mighty tempting. My main uses are streaming from a service or my own media server and browsing. The problem with the 12.2 is I can't use the best encoders when ripping video since it can't reliably decode recent codecs or high bitrate video.

If the new iPad can do those things I have no problem switching. I enjoy rooting and taking control of my devices, but sometimes I just want it to work.

It's worth investigating at this point. There are definitely apps for playing media from your own server, and of course all the big services are available.

One thing to note: the current iPad Air looks like it's available for $419 refurbished on Apple's site, so that might be tempting. It'll be faster and pack a nicer display to boot.

Interesting thread right up my alley. I've been in analysis paralysis mode looking for the "perfect" next Android tablet and just could never settle on one. I'd try out the latest Galaxy Tabs at the store and something held me back. I've always been diehard Windows and Android, I've tried friends Macs, iPhones and iPads over the years and they never really grabbed me either.

But finally I just said F it, and ordered a refurb iPad Pro 11 (2018) for $549 from Apple after the price drop. Holy crap what a beast. The insanely optimized OS, the 120Hz refresh rate, moving around doing things seems to happen at blur speed. I thought I'd just use it for media consumption and keeping tabs on my biz in between heavier work at the PC, but I hooked up a mouse and keyboard and I'm now using it for almost everything while my 9900k/2080 is sitting idle most of the time.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a PC killer, but I have to hand it to Apple, computing is changing. I'll keep running Android for my phone because iOS isn't some wonderful thing so different from Android, but it's the optimization that has hooked me. The tablet market belongs to Apple.

If I didn't have specific work-related needs for my portable computing, I'd probably replace my laptop with an iPad Pro (once the Magic Keyboard shows up, anyway) as well.

And yes, one of the things I've realized is that Apple just 'gets' tablets in a way Google and Microsoft don't. Neither of those rivals really seems interested in optimizing for tablets or nurturing the hardware ecosystem. And I'm starting to wonder if Apple's iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard combo might make more sense than what we've seen so far, since it addresses some of the "lapability" problems with Surface-style keyboards.

like this
except the cost - a decent ipad pro 2020 and kb combo will cost you more than a beast laptop

except the cost - a decent ipad pro 2020 and kb combo will cost you more than a beast laptop
This is true. The further you push past commodity, $300-$500 15" windows laptop and into thin/light/ultraportable territory, the more exponential the cost gets.

Last edited:
yeah for reference i just got an element titanium alloy thin gaming notebook with a 9750H 32 gb ram, 2tb nvme drive and 2070 with 144hz screen for 1400 open box. That is still cheaper than an ipad 2020, pencil and keyboard.

yeah for reference i just got an element titanium alloy thin gaming notebook with a 9750H 32 gb ram, 2tb nvme drive and 2070 with 144hz screen for 1400 open box. That is still cheaper than an ipad 2020, pencil and keyboard.

Mind you, that's going to be much thicker and heavier, last much less time on battery and, of course, either doesn't do touch at all or is pretty mediocre at it. That doesn't make it a bad system; rather, I'm just emphasizing how the two have very different sets of priorities.

actually gets 9 hours on battery (not gaming) it was made in partnership with intel. Also weighs 4 pounds :) no touch screen but not important to me.

If I didn't have specific work-related needs for my portable computing, I'd probably replace my laptop with an iPad Pro (once the Magic Keyboard shows up, anyway) as well.

And yes, one of the things I've realized is that Apple just 'gets' tablets in a way Google and Microsoft don't. Neither of those rivals really seems interested in optimizing for tablets or nurturing the hardware ecosystem. And I'm starting to wonder if Apple's iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard combo might make more sense than what we've seen so far, since it addresses some of the "lapability" problems with Surface-style keyboards.
I'll let you know about an iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard as a laptop replacement. I just ordered the MK and will use it with my 11" iPad Pro (2018). Work bought me a sweet XPS 13, but if the iPad can do what I need, I'll return the XPS and pocket the $$.

I'll let you know about an iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard as a laptop replacement. I just ordered the MK and will use it with my 11" iPad Pro (2018). Work bought me a sweet XPS 13, but if the iPad can do what I need, I'll return the XPS and pocket the $$.

Thanks -- I'll be curious to see how it works out.

Back