Galaxy Note Brand Now Damaged Beyond Repair

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Hyperbole or truth? After all of the recent incidents with replacement Note 7 units, some think that the product line should just be killed off. For me, the tipping point would be widespread reports of the Note 8 being dangerous as well.

Somewhere between then and now, between the Note 7s exploding and the Note 7s exploding again, trust in not just the product itself but the company as a whole began to wane. I've been witness to casual conversations wherein regular phone-buying customers have expressed reticence to buy another Samsung phone again, period; many of them claim to be moving in the direction of the iPhone 7 Plus, which came out in mid-September and is roughly the same price. Apple will surely benefit from this fallout, but it of course won't be a one-to-one lateral movement; many Note buyers, existing or potential, will find other Android devices to buy, or — best case scenario — stick with a Samsung Galaxy S7. But it's safe to say that the Note line is practically finished…

Google is big enough now that they can push the third parties out. The pixel should be the primary hardware/software solution for Android, period.

Control the brand and updates.

Click-bait nonsense, especially the part about the Note 8 also being dangerous, since that is still a very long way off.

Samsung didn't invent the lithium-ion battery, and they aren't the only phone to use them...

I would personally like to see the Note series come with larger batteries that are once-again user replaceable. The Note series used to be a higher-end phone for people who didn't want the compromises that came with having a smaller phone. Now it's become basically just a "premium" version of the Galaxy S phone, pretty much the same except with a slightly larger screen. I want a phone with more of an industrial feel, not one that has it's design dictated by the same trendy hipster bullshit that defines the design of the iPhone.

The Note began the damage but the continued bungling and leaks are beginning to hurt the Samsung brand not just the Note product line.

I can't wait to see how Samsung fucks this one up next, but I have to take a road/camping trick with my buddy next weekend and he has a launch day one :eek:

Pixel looks amazing but at $800 or $900 dollars, I will never ever own one. And that's sad because unlike most of you, I have Project Fi and not many phones support that. The new Pixel of course does. My upgrade path to a new phones is very very limited.

I just saw that the tear-down cost for the phone was $238 something in parts. The high price is meant to add a faux sense of value to the phone / brand which at the end of the day is all bs.

Google is big enough now that they can push the third parties out. The pixel should be the primary hardware/software solution for Android, period.

An Apple and Google duopoly does not appeal to me. People that want the Iphone equivalent in Android can go Nexus. I never will since Nexus devices never seem to have SD card slots.

The article is almost idiotic in it's claim "the note is doomed, DOOOOMMED!!!."
This hurts the brand short term. Short Term. As long as they fix the issues and make sure the next big Galaxy release is issue free this will be all but forgotten in a year or so. Same as the burning Iphones were.

It should have been that way from the very beginning. Yes, I know... open source and all but let's face reality here folks, open source and big business rarely get along and it usually results in something suffering and you can bet it's not the "big business" part of the equation.

A lot of the Android OEMs care only about one thing... money, money, and more money. They don't care about you past the point of you forking over your hard earned cash. And in a lot of ways we have only Google to blame for this.

A lot of the Android OEMs care only about one thing... money, money, and more money. They don't care about you past the point of you forking over your hard earned cash. And in a lot of ways we have only Google to blame for this.

Google has already made it clear that the Pixel phone will only get OS updates for 2 years, so it's pretty much on-par with Samsung and others in that regard.

I have a Note 7 (replacement). I love this phone and I love the Note line. After having the Note 4 (great phone) and going to two other non Note varieties, I can't go back to not having a Note again. That said I understand the worry for some, but all Samsung has to do is incentivize the Note 8 big time with freebies etc and people will come back. It's far from dead.

But the difference between Samsung and Google is that Google will give you updates for those entire two years whereas with Samsung and the other OEMs they couldn't give a rat's ass about you past the one year.

"Silly user, software updates are for paying customers. Pay up you deadbeat!"

New phones are only designed to last 2 years anyway. This includes Nexus phones. Why do you think the removable battery has all but gone to the wayside? It's hardly any cheaper, and the 1/4mm in thickness reduction is hardly a deal breaker. It's to prevent you from using your phone past 18-24 months, or worse, buying a new battery for it and handing that phone down to someone.

I do wish oogle Play Edition phone would make a comeback. An S7 with it's SD slot and vanilla Android would not be a bad phone.

But the difference between Samsung and Google is that Google will give you updates for those entire two years whereas with Samsung and the other OEMs they couldn't give a rat's ass about you past the one year.

Examples? On pretty much every old Samsung phone I've seen, including my own Note 2, the last update was almost exactly 2 years after the phone was released.

The only "catch" is that people don't always buy their phones when they are brand new. There are still places selling the Note 4, which was released just over 2 years ago. Even new buyers of that phone are unlikely to see many if any updates.

Of course, it's all relative. If it were up to me all phones would get updates for at least 4 if not 6-10 years.

New phones are only designed to last 2 years anyway.
And don't you think that that's a problem? We have a major issue with e-Waste and yet we're throwing away God knows how many devices away every year.

And don't you think that that's a problem? We have a major issue with e-Waste and yet we're throwing away God knows how many devices away every year.
It is a problem. I was commenting that major update past a year were hardly a big deal on a phone meant to last 18-24 months. Let me say it like this. Past periodic security updates, I don't really care if a phone that is only going to last 18-24 months does not get more than one major update. The phones, including Google's, simply do not last long enough for it to matter now. They are not like my Note 3. It lived it's life in an Otterbox Defender, and at the two year point got a fresh battery and has been handed down to family members twice now I think. It could certainly use an update, and for phones like that it would matter. However, they are just not making phones like that anymore. That is an issue, not sure what you can do about it though. Who is going to still be using their 2 year old Nexus or whatever brand phone without a replaceable battery after it no longer really holds a full days charge?

It should have been that way from the very beginning. Yes, I know... open source and all but let's face reality here folks, open source and big business rarely get along and it usually results in something suffering and you can bet it's not the "big business" part of the equation.

I would never have touched Android if the vanilla OS was the only option. Vanilla Android was complete shit for years. It took Google a long time to catch up with the vastly improved UI design and features of custom ROMs. When I had that first Nvidia tablet with vanilla Android on it I hated the OS so much that I still avoid Android devices that come with it.

This is going to be just about as damaging as it was to Apple when their batteries had issues. Let's not forget the iphone flex issues or their screens shattering easily or how just recently upgrades would brick the phones until there was a major public outcry.

I swear to god the amount of hard work people put in to crap all over someone gets so tiring.

This is why I only buy phones with a removable battery, and for the last few years the only real option for that has been LG. Had a G2 and still on the G3, now looking at the V20.

Yet it's the batteries not the phones themselves exploding right? The just need a more reliable battery.

I don't buy products until they've had at least a few months of circulation for this very reason. I also don't upgrade until the hardware I'm currently using can no longer perform it's function correctly. I curently have a galaxy note 4 that does everything I ask of it. The battery is starting to give out but I have a new one on the way from amazon.

When a company decides to implement built in obsolescence, that is when their brand is damaged for me. I have enjoyed my galaxy devices but I have replaced the batteries in all of them and refuse to buy a product that won't allow for that. My galaxy s3 is still chugging along as a media remote, time lapse camera, recipe book etc... I would have had to trash it several years ago if I couldn't replace the battery.

I disagree, I don't think the Galaxy Note brand is the one that's damaged. I don't hear from people on the street about "Galaxy Notes Exploding" I hear about "Samsung phones" exploding. Samsung needs to control this or their sales are going to land in the trash bin. It's not like they don't have several competitors with products that are just as competitive as Samsung's across the board. Name recognition was the only thing keeping them on top. Now that may no longer be the case.

Corporate idiots. They'll use the safest path, chosen by focus groups and other ninnies. They should embrace it. Call it "The Samsung Scorcher"..."blazing a new trail in consumer electronics. Are you man enough to handle it?" Etc. Sell asbestos lined cases. Make the stylus a miniature halon fire extinguisher. Start naming the product line after burning objects, celestial or earth-bound: comet, meteor, tanguska, torch, chandelier. Use flammable compounds: methane, butane, acetylene, etc.

THAT would be a sign that they're a no-holds barred company out to get maximum performance...damn the risk! ;)

I think they are hurting but will recover. People have short memories, give it another week and nobody will remember any thing bad about the Note 7.

Rebrand it as the Samsung Nexus and move on.

The Note brand isn't damaged...it is the Samsung brand.

People everywhere don't know and cannot recognize a Note....they just tell you to turn the damned firecracker off if you're flying regardless. Samsungs are very easy to spot.

Back when PC hard drives mostly came in 2 sizes, 5.25" full height and 5.25 half height, many folks thought Seagate was done as a HD brand after the RLL version of the 251 drives failed in droves and Seagate is still around and still sells HDs.

Of course, if a fully loaded Airbus 380 crashes into a major city due to a fire spitting green icon Note 7....

This has been so bad. I waited a full 2 years for my upgrade. Went from s5 Active to Note 7. I was super excited. Spent time picking a phone, knew the specs inside out. Went and got the phone the day 1. Adds were all over the place all that day. LOVE THE PHONE. was so happy. got the cool flip cover, the new gear vr, and free 256 gig card. had a few WOW moments too especially with the gear. Then the recall happened. Ok stuff happens. I take it in and borrow a 7 edge. Might have been a nice phone if i got it after my s5a but after a note, no i did not like it, not at all. Was super excited to get my note back, did that day 1 as well. Now more problems. Even if it works out, updates are going to be extra slow. and the memes. oh god do i get the memes. yea I probably deserve it a little, I did show it off quite a bit, but to be honest that really is part of buying a new flagship phone. I can return it for a full refund but i'm not excited for anything else. pixel xl is just paying extra to not be a samsung but still a flagship, i7 no. just no. lg v20 meh it's just not a bad ax samsung phone, no wow.

I totally lost out on my "Premium Flagship Purchase Experience". That sucks.

Video of one going up in Korea today, was hoping for more smoke. Has a similar burn pattern to some of the other burning Note 7s. This is alledgely "a new one".

Ars Technica has an article with links to information on seven burning "fixed" Note 7s. AT&T has now stopped selling the phone, may not be long before a US wide stop sale is issued.

Video of one going up in Korea today, was hoping for more smoke. Has a similar burn pattern to some of the other burning Note 7s. This is alledgely "a new one".

Ars Technica has an article with links to information on seven burning "fixed" Note 7s. May not be long before a US wide stop sale is issued.

T-Mobile has already issued an internal stop-sale order.

[Update: T-Mobile confirms] T-Mobile is in process of issuing an internal stop sale order for Galaxy Note7

homer-end-is-near1.jpg

I can't wait to see how Samsung fucks this one up next, but I have to take a road/camping trick with my buddy next weekend and he has a launch day one :eek:

At least you won't need to worry about getting a fire going...

For me, the idiot decisions of bringing it in line with Apple's design (non-removable battery/no mSD) with the Note 5 just pushed me to get the Note 4 instead.

Here's hoping the OP4 is a worthy upgrade to my Note 5, though I'm not thrilled about their proprietary rapid-charge tech in the OP3.

So...is this a good time to pickup a great deal on a Note 7 and some nomex gloves?

Well, I am going back to the Note 4 until this all blows over. Have a new battery coming and surprisingly, when I plugged it in and turned it on there was an update bringing it up to Android 6. So sweet. Been about 6 months since I used that phone. It's battery was pretty shot, only would get me through half to 3/4 a day so I had been using a One+2 that came from somewhere. So new battery, a factory data reset, and I will be fine with that until they fix the 7 or come out with the 8. Provided they learn their lesson and give us a product worth having that doesn't catch fire and all.

You know what naysayers do not understand about the galaxy note series? There has yet to be ANY formal competitor. That is right, if you like the stylus on a phone nobody makes one. So there is almost nothing Samsung can do to screw up the note. And every month the software that supports the active digitizer gets better. Onenote is a great example. Everyone who processes credit cards with devices like square or paypal loves a note once they try them.

I have no allegiance at all to Samsung in any way. And I have always been like that. I even have many critical things to say about their decisions. But at the end of every year when I start looking for phones the galaxy note ends up winning the sale. And even without the stylus the note is always a top tier competitor. The stylus is just that killer feature that everyone including apple cannot seem to understand is what MADE the phablet sector.

If you want to see really good evidence of this look at market share for apple. When the released their first phablet what happened? Answer nothing. All they did by making a bigger phone was cannibalize their own market share. There was no massive shift of android users looking for a big iPhone. All apple really did was stop what might have been defection to android phones.

Now had apple pulled their head out of wherever and released an iPhone pro to complement the ipad pro and put a stylus in there then maybe they would have done some serious damage to Samsung this season.

I don't buy products until they've had at least a few months of circulation for this very reason.

Exactly personally I think it says a lot about consumers and how bad they are at making decisions when they are rushing out to get in line to buy a phone on day 1. It shows no patience, and completely and total blind trust.

I disagree, I don't think the Galaxy Note brand is the one that's damaged. I don't hear from people on the street about "Galaxy Notes Exploding" I hear about "Samsung phones" exploding. Samsung needs to control this or their sales are going to land in the trash bin. It's not like they don't have several competitors with products that are just as competitive as Samsung's across the board. Name recognition was the only thing keeping them on top. Now that may no longer be the case.

I would love to hear what competitors there are for the note line?

Last edited:
The only real competitors for the Note 7, are the Note 4 and 5. The 5 went no SD, and took itself out of the competition for me.
The SD slot is a deal breaker. A removable battery is highly preferred but not a deal breaker on it's own.

Some marketing type trying to justify their existence.

Branding doesn't matter, and never has. It's nothing but a scan to cover up the real merits of a product and consumers are wise to it.

If it were up to me all branding would be banned, and products would be sold based on their actual specifications only.

You know what naysayers do not understand about the galaxy note series? There has yet to be ANY formal competitor. That is right, if you like the stylus on a phone nobody makes one. So there is almost nothing Samsung can do to screw up the note. And every month the software that supports the active digitizer gets better. Onenote is a great example. Everyone who processes credit cards with devices like square or paypal loves a note once they try them.

I have no allegiance at all to Samsung in any way. And I have always been like that. I even have many critical things to say about their decisions. But at the end of every year when I start looking for phones the galaxy note ends up winning the sale. And even without the stylus the note is always a top tier competitor. The stylus is just that killer feature that everyone including apple cannot seem to understand is what MADE the phablet sector.

If you want to see really good evidence of this look at market share for apple. When the released their first phablet what happened? Answer nothing. All they did by making a bigger phone was cannibalize their own market share. There was no massive shift of android users looking for a big iPhone. All apple really did was stop what might have been defection to android phones.

Now had apple pulled their head out of wherever and released an iPhone pro to complement the ipad pro and put a stylus in there then maybe they would have done some serious damage to Samsung this season.

Exactly personally I think it says a lot about consumers and how bad they are at making decisions when they are rushing out to get in line to buy a phone on day 1. It shows no patience, and completely and total blind trust.

I would love to hear what competitors there are for the note line?

I don't know. I'm not in the market for a ridiculously large phone, but if I were I'd pick ANYTHING without TouchWiz.

TouchWiz has a way of taking fabulous hardware and making it run slow as molasses. The old Nexus 6 still feels faster than the most recent Note 7 (and it doesn't explode)

The upcoming Pixel XL seems quite nice if you like comically large phones.

In the end I will wouldn't buy any phone that doesn't get regular security updates, regardless of any other feature or lack thereof.

Back