Galaxy Note 8 May Miss out on In-Screen Fingerprint Reader

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bad news for those of you who hate rear fingerprint readers and are going to give the Note line another shot: the eighth iteration, which may be unveiled in September, will reportedly lack an in-screen fingerprint reader. While the company spent big bucks on the technology, it will not be installed due to “various technical limitations such as security” that haven’t been addressed yet. Being that the Note 8 needs to be a home run of sorts, maybe it is better that they are sticking to a proven design.

...Samsung will miss out on integrating an in-screen fingerprint reader in its upcoming flagship phablet. The report states that even Apple had a lot of problems in using a similar technology for the iPhone 8, which is expected to go on sale later this year. The current-generation, oval-shaped fingerprint reader that Samsung uses in the Galaxy S8 and S8+ isn’t as accurate as circular-shaped fingerprint readers that are being used in smartphones such as the Google Pixel, LG G6, iPhone 7, or even entry-level smartphones like the Xiaomi Redmi 4. It’s slower in comparison as well, so we hope that Samsung at least uses faster fingerprint reader in the Galaxy Note 8, and places it below the rear-facing camera.

Who hates rear finger print readers? That's the best spot for it I've come across so far.
The galaxy s8+ requires quite a reach if you have normal to small sized hands... other than that I think the back is fine. I would like it in the center middle.... unfortunately batteries like to usually occupy that space.

The galaxy s8+ requires quite a reach if you have normal to small sized hands...

rwTmWZl.jpg

Who hates rear finger print readers? That's the best spot for it I've come across so far.
I don't like it much. I can see the appeal, but I usually have my phone face up on the desk so I can see what notifications come through and the rear one doesn't make much sense for me.

I was disappointed when I realized it would still have a fingerprint reader. Apparently it's too much to ask for a flagship level phone without a bunch of useless bullshit.

I can see how people might like them, but a finger print reader is simply not something I use. So where it is does not really matter to me. Except that, not being on the back makes the case makers job easier. Mine typically end up in an Otterbox, or Otterbox like case anyway.

I was disappointed when I realized it would still have a fingerprint reader. Apparently it's too much to ask for a flagship level phone without a bunch of useless bullshit.

Useless is subjective. I think an aux port is useless, you may not.

I love my fingerprint reader on my 6P. I think the back is the perfect location, although I do understand the annoyance when it is sitting on a desk.

Shows how little I know about phones, I thought the Galaxy 8+ was the new note.

I wish theyd make a mini, thicker flagship with no compomises and a swappable battery.

Useless is subjective. I think an aux port is useless, you may not.

I love my fingerprint reader on my 6P. I think the back is the perfect location, although I do understand the annoyance when it is sitting on a desk.
Nothing subjective about it. Hand me your phone and in 3 minutes I'll show you how worthless that "security" feature is. Fingerprint readers on phones are garbage.

Nothing subjective about it. Hand me your phone and in 3 minutes I'll show you how worthless that "security" feature is. Fingerprint readers on phones are garbage.

Were you able to hear my very audible sigh?

Care to explain? Secondly, I use two forms of verification, as any reasonable human does.

I hate them, can't use protective covers with the reader at the back.

The place where I'd use the phone without protective cover (home) is also the place I least likely need to use it.

Shows how little I know about phones, I thought the Galaxy 8+ was the new note.

I wish theyd make a mini, thicker flagship with no compomises and a swappable battery.
Unlikely, android phone market is so competitive that every company feels they need their own 'flair'. They have already gone way past the point of giving customers what they want, and more telling customers this is what they want.

For SS, it's their Edge, so far I have yet to see any benefit from the edge beyond being a mere brand recognition feature.

Flagship phones, generally, have gone from being practical to being show pieces. I don't know if my family is joking, but apparently one of their main reasons for using an iPhone is for face, since it looks better when people see you carry one.

Personally I couldn't possibly care less about it, because I buy phones to use, not as show off, if I wanted to show off, I would have booked a flight to UAE and bought one of their gold plated iPhones.

I'll just be glad when it's out. The Note is the perfect phone for me. I've has the 2,the 4 and was going to get the 7 but then they started blowing up. Been slogging along on my bug riddled Motorola Z Force and can't wait to get back to the Note.

I feel like if I gave you my phone to try and bypass my finger print, you'd just slam it on the ground so it broke and then say "HA! Told you it was worthless!" Laugh really awkwardly, and then walk away.

As long they remove the "spontaneous combustion battery" feature of this phone, it should do better than it's predecessor.

Absolutely hate rear fingerprint readers, have to hold the phone a specific way to unlock it and when its on a magnetic mount in the car, you cant reach the sensor.

Back