Galaxy Note 7 Confirmed With Iris Scanner

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung is skipping the Note 6 moniker altogether, placing the next device on par, name-wise, with the Galaxy S7. The iris scanner rumors have also seemed to panned out; we should be getting the new Note in August.

Multiple reports stated that Samsung might skip a numeral to release the Galaxy Note 7 later this year, and it also being reported that there will be no flat screen variant of the device. Now, a new image has surfaced that pretty much confirms the name of the next flagship smartphone from Samsung. A new tweet from serial leaker Evan Blass (@evleaks) consists of what could be an official logo of the Galaxy Note 7. It is possible that the South Korean smartphone giant might release only the curved screen variant of the Galaxy Note 7. It is expected to feature a 5.8-inch curved QHD Super AMOLED display, a 12-megapixel primary camera with new features, a 5-megapixel secondary camera, 6GB RAM, a microSD card slot, and a 4000 mAh battery.

I love how every galaxy is amazing but the next version always takes a nice step up. I'm on a note 5 now very happy. And My old galaxy 4 is with a freind still doing amazing.

it also being reported that there will be no flat screen variant of the device.
It is possible that the South Korean smartphone giant might release only the curved screen variant of the Galaxy Note 7.

Damn I REALLY hope that this is just a BS rumor. That curved "edge" screen is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen for a phone, with it's only saving grace being that so far it's been optional...

It also seems like a real cop-out to not have a 6" screen or larger, even as the screen on the Galaxy S series seems to get larger with each generation. It also makes me wonder how much smaller the actual functional area of the screen is if you don't count the herp derp rounded edges as part of the measured screen size.

No flat screen is a deal breaker for me, hope they do not stick with that. Then again, it also has to have an SD slot, or I go elsewhere anyway. Having a removable battery, while not a deal breaker, is definitely preferred.

The curved screens don't seem very useful. I've never seen anything that really took advantage of it.
I looked forward to seeing what the Note 7 has in store - they were probably the first with the large smartphone design. The last Note was a really nice device.

I'll probably keep my Note 5, my wife will probably upgrade her Note 4 though to the 7. I would like to see how the curved screen works with the stylus though. We do use ours at least once or twice a day. Build quality really has stepped up with Samsung since the Note 4 and S5 were released.

No flat screen is a deal breaker for me, hope they do not stick with that. Then again, it also has to have an SD slot, or I go elsewhere anyway. Having a removable battery, while not a deal breaker, is definitely preferred.

I'm sure they will go back to the SD card slot like they did with the S7. They are handy but I still want at least a 64gb base storage on the phone. It's faster for recording video going straight to the phone. I can copy it over later. Removable batteries aren't needed anymore with fast charging. I can go from 20‰ to 60% charge in 20 minutes or so. I've never had to remove any of my phone batteries other than to replace them. It is possible to replace the battery in phones like the Note 5 and places like ifixit has instructions. If I had to do it I probably might if I keep my Note 5 another year.

I'm very "meh" on getting another Samsung. I have a Note 3 now, which has been a great phone, but they seem to be going the "disposable device" route. Given that you can't replace batteries anymore that limits how long the useful life of your device will be. Also they seem to be jerks about software upgrades. The Note 3 is stuck on Android 5.0, despite having more than enough power for newer ones. I'm going to stick with the Note 3 for now but I'm eyeing LG or Google for my next phone. I want something that will last me until I want a new toy, not something I have to replace because of lack of support.

I am on a Note 4 now but I doubt I would move up to the 7 if it only has a curved screen.

What's the point of a secondary camera...

Easier to take selfies with?
I have used the rear facing camera for video calls in the past. In parts of Asia and Europe, video calling is a lot more common than here. Our cell companies in the US are pretty much dead set against it. Stock dialers on US phones do not even have the option built in. Get the European or Asian version of the same phone, and video calling is usually built into the stock dialer. In the US, you usually have to go through Skype, Hangouts or the like, to do it.

I'm very "meh" on getting another Samsung. I have a Note 3 now, which has been a great phone, but they seem to be going the "disposable device" route. Given that you can't replace batteries anymore that limits how long the useful life of your device will be. Also they seem to be jerks about software upgrades. The Note 3 is stuck on Android 5.0, despite having more than enough power for newer ones. I'm going to stick with the Note 3 for now but I'm eyeing LG or Google for my next phone. I want something that will last me until I want a new toy, not something I have to replace because of lack of support.

You can replace the battery in phones like the note 5 and S6 and probably the the S7. I've already planned on doing it on my Note 5 in November, after I've had it a year. It's not a quick job though and does require a couple special tools which can be purchased. It's just like changing the battery in a iPhone or ipod.

But where does one get the battery to replace it? Finding batteries for the older Notes is easy, but I don't see them for the S7. Also the software thing is a real issue, Samsung doesn't look to be getting better on that front.

Whats the point? Touchwiz... critical updates come months (many) after they are relevant? Pick something with AOSP or Cyanogen.

You and me both. My wife's S4 has been great, but I'm not that thrilled with their current offerings. Non-removable battery equals no sale for me. It's the most obvious point of failure on the device; it will wear out eventually. I usually keep a phone at least three years and, considering how the pace of innovation has slowed down, I might shoot for five on my next purchase. At the very least the battery is going to have seriously degraded capacity by that point.

I find the iris scanner to be very nice on the Lumia 950. Once you set it up, it is very good at unlocking the device and doing things that require your authentication.

But where does one get the battery to replace it? Finding batteries for the older Notes is easy, but I don't see them for the S7. Also the software thing is a real issue, Samsung doesn't look to be getting better on that front.

I haven't looked for batteries for the S7, I don't have one. I have found batteries for the note 5 though and there is a replacement guide on Ifixit. Google Note 5 batteries and there are many options. The local phone repair stores will also replace the battery for you.

I can see Samsung releasing an Edge only Note initially then offering a flat spec gimped flat screen Neo version much later. Then obviously Samsung would release a flat Note 8 varient next year to keep Note buyers on the hook. Anyways I would only consider getting a Note 8 Edge when the price comes down significantly. But till then my Nexus 6P is going strong.

Samsung is skipping the Note 6 moniker altogether, placing the next device on par, name-wise, with the Galaxy S7. The iris scanner rumors have also seemed to panned out; we should be getting the new Note in August.

Should that read "Samsung is skipping the Note 6 moniker, because nobody want's anything with a 6 when the iPhone 7 comes out"

Back