Galaxy Note 6 Could Feature 5.8” Curved Display, 4,000 mAh Battery

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I still think curved displays like the Edge are gimmicky, but I do like the sound of that battery. The Note 6 is also expected to be IP68 water resistant and possibly include an iris scanner.

The other interesting tidbit in this leak is the battery size of the Note 6. The source doesn’t exactly know the battery capacity but suggests a 4,000 mAh battery might power the device. With a larger body, it wouldn’t exactly be hard to fit in a 4,000 mAh battery inside the Note 6, especially if Samsung makes the device thicker than its predecessor (a move that helped the company fit the large batteries inside the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge).

In all my life, I have never once dunked a phone in water, although wireless charging would allow for a device to be made far more water resistant.

Impact resistance is the big thing, and the downside of using a protective case is that:
1) Not everyone will use them
2) Why bother making a phone pretty if putting it in a $5 chinese case?

I also want a 4K screen with enough horsepower to drive VR. I still think that the future of VR is phone-style, since it already has a high quality camera for tracking and sensors and what not, why get a redundant system? We just need to work on the software side that allows streaming from a PC for gaming, and connection to PLEX and what not for movies/TV.

In all my life, I have never once dunked a phone in water, although wireless charging would allow for a device to be made far more water resistant.

Impact resistance is the big thing, and the downside of using a protective case is that:
1) Not everyone will use them
2) Why bother making a phone pretty if putting it in a $5 chinese case?

I also want a 4K screen with enough horsepower to drive VR. I still think that the future of VR is phone-style, since it already has a high quality camera for tracking and sensors and what not, why get a redundant system? We just need to work on the software side that allows streaming from a PC for gaming, and connection to PLEX and what not for movies/TV.

Water is a rare thing, but I've had mine in water a time to two due to flash floods and the like. So I'm down for limited water resistance.

If you are only using a $5 cheap chinese case, don't bother. Something like an otterbox or just accept the fact that you are likely going to be replacing it at some point.

a 4k screen...on a phone? Seriously...It is a phone, not a desktop replacement. The Future of VR is in medical and Aerospace, not stupid one trick phone applications. This bigger and bigger resolution and VR for phones nonsense needs to stop. If you want VR, buy something dedicated for it. I want a phone that doesn't catch on fire, has battery life more than 2 hours being used and I can understand the person talking to me. Not something trying to cheaply replace proper high end audio/video and PC equipment.

My nexus 5 chugs on......

I also don't want an iris scanner.

I loved the Note 1,2, and 4, (never owned a 3), they dicked it up a bit with no sd slot or removable battery on the 5. I will definately be looking at the 6 if it has those tings. The curved screen and 4k is meh to me, a regular flat one @ around 1080p ish, with great color, contrast, brightness, would be more preferable in a sub 6" device anyway.

I've been on the Note 3 since it released and I haven't had a single issue so there has been no real compelling need to upgrade but if the Note 6 fixes all the mistakes made with the 5 I'll upgrade this time around.

The Future of VR is in medical and Aerospace, not stupid one trick phone applications.
I find it hard to believe you've played with VR much at all. Its insanely awesome, and this is coming from a guy that hates mobile gaming.
This bigger and bigger resolution and VR for phones nonsense needs to stop.
No, it needs to escalate. The ONLY drawback with current VR is that we need higher resolution screens, and enough power to drive them. That's it.
If you want VR, buy something dedicated for it.
Why? That's like saying "if you want something other than to make phonecalls, like GPS for your car, buy a dedicated unit." Yeah, no. The whole point of a smartphone is that it does everything, and device consolidation ultimately reduces cost.

Its way cheaper and/or higher performance to have a high end $600 phone that can do everything, than a $100 Garmin GPS with a craptastic low resolution touchscreen and shitty processor + a $100 crappy dumbphone + a $500 VR glasses + a $200 tablet to browse the web... who wants to carry around all that redundant crap?

Spend the money for ONE high end device, and be done with it. Besides, on my last flight I loved my Samsung Gear VR that fit in my carryon bag just fine for watching movies, and I'm not going to be lugging around my Tri-fire 1500 watt desktop around for that.

One desktop for home + One phablet/high-end smartphone for on the go, with the devices working together when at home. Device consolidation... its da futurez.
replace proper high end audio/video and PC equipment.
As was said, they are looking into streaming capability, so that you pair your phone with your PC and use the PC for heavy duty processing, and the headset as a viewer. And what exactly do you think a VR headset is? They take smartphone LCDs and put them in a case... the same kind of smartphone LCDs that go on, uhhh, smartphones. Why buy two of the same thing? Makes no sense.

I was wrong, you can already use a Samsung Gear VR with your PC games if you have an NVidia card (I don't): Play PC games in your Samsung Gear VR

Hence the desire for a 4K screen, as then the screendoor effect should be completely eliminated. We're already going to see 4K screens this year on smartphones, with 4K likely becoming the norm for flagships in 2017.

No thanks on the curved screen.
I'll be sticking with my N5 if thats the case. Curved screens and industrial environments don't mix

I love my Note 5 I purchased at launch. I don't have a issue with storage, mine is the 64gb version and I still have 33gb free. Photos and videos are all backed up online and offline on my PC. I stream all music when I want to listen to it or watch videos. I use a inexpensive clear plastic case when working that has a Rokform Magnet on the back so I can stick my phone on the side of the CNC machine at work. When not at work it doesn't have a case. No scratches, or anything like that, looks like the day I got it. I think it could use a larger battery but quick charging does help when I want a quick top off. I won't upgrade to the 6 but my wife probably will since she's on the Note 4. I'll wait for the Note 7.

Has anyone attempted to straighten it with only their fingers yet?

#StraightGate

Has anyone attempted to straighten it with only their fingers yet?

#StraightGate
When they say curved, they don't mean the whole phone like a banana, just the edges of the LCD curved in. I personally really like it, as when swiping left and right it looks like it rolls into the phone, and is a cool effect.

I'm not a fan of curved screens, having owned an S7 Edge for several weeks. The edges are quirky, too sensitive. I have high hopes for the Note 6 to replace my edge, but will pass if it has a curved screen.

I really, really don't need a new or faster smartphone. The note 3 was fast enough, then I got a note 5 just because.

At this point the Note 6 will be my next phone almost no matter what. My Note 3 seems tired and ready for retirement (even after a reset to factory settings) and although the S7 Edge tempts me I'm still holding out.

I've owned the Note 2 and now the 4. I was planning on upgrading to the 6 when I'm due but I'm not sure I can handle it being any bigger than it is now. It's right on the verge of being too big. I use my phone more like a laptop and do everything on it so I don't want to step down to a Galaxy S7 but may have to if the Note 6 is gianormous. Plus the no removable SD card is a deal breaker. If they cut out the removable battery and SD card I'll likely start looking at other brands.

If you are only using a $5 cheap chinese case, don't bother. Something like an otterbox or just accept the fact that you are likely going to be replacing it at some point.

Some of those cheap $5 cases actually do a pretty good job protecting the phone. I dropped my S3 a few time over the 3 years I used it without a problem. My kid has dropped her Nexus 4 so many times I've lost count, including many 3 foot drops onto a tile floor where it's bounced or slid across the floor. No cracks and the phone still works fine (much to my surprise)

I've owned the Note 2 and now the 4. I was planning on upgrading to the 6 when I'm due but I'm not sure I can handle it being any bigger than it is now. It's right on the verge of being too big. I use my phone more like a laptop and do everything on it so I don't want to step down to a Galaxy S7 but may have to if the Note 6 is gianormous. Plus the no removable SD card is a deal breaker. If they cut out the removable battery and SD card I'll likely start looking at other brands.

Which is why I went with the Note 4 when I upgraded my phone earlier this year.
Unless they are going to start equipping the phones with 128GB of storage, without charging an arm & a leg for it, they need to include an SD slot.

Back