Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

Came from an Evo 4G LTE on Sprint to the Note 3 on Verizon. Couldn't be happier (except maybe if Verizon was cheaper but hey, ya pay for coverage and going from shitty Sprint 3G to Verizon LTE is like night and day).

The Note 3 is a beast. Some dips in performance/lag here and there but I'll chalk it up to Samsung being Samsung. Nothing that would interfere with normal day to day stuff.

I sold my HTC One last week and I was waiting for the Nexus 5. I got tired of waiting and this past monday I went and picked up the Note 3 on T-Mobile. I love it. It's fast, smooth as butter, and the screen looks pretty good for a weird pentile display. My only issue with it right now is how big everything is on the screen. You'd think with 1080p I could have icons a little smaller and still have them look good.

I sold my HTC One last week and I was waiting for the Nexus 5. I got tired of waiting and this past monday I went and picked up the Note 3 on T-Mobile. I love it. It's fast, smooth as butter, and the screen looks pretty good for a weird pentile display. My only issue with it right now is how big everything is on the screen. You'd think with 1080p I could have icons a little smaller and still have them look good.
Try a different launcher, like Nova :)

I tried Nova and for some reason I wasn't feeling it. I love the stock android feel and it seemed not right.

Try a different launcher, like Nova :)

I keep going back to touchwiz on the note, it just works so well on this device. I have probably 10 different launchers (some free some paid) ans I keep going back to TX on the n3.

Download Nova and shrink the grid. Here is my homescreen and drawer.

gb1sC2ml.jpg
YYLm3Dql.jpg

I took back the Note 3 today. I decided I just get the Nexus 5.

If you'd waited more than 20 hours before swapping, I'd would've told you to seek out eXposed. As it has modules that do the DPI tweaking you want. Although you may need rooted to use it.

LOL I did the same thing last week :)

lol this cannot be disproven :p

If I replace the Note 3 soon it wont be with the Nexus 5, its going to be a Xperia Z1 when ever Sony graces North America with the C6906 so I can use LTE on AT&T. Waterproof and good camera just too alluring for me.

The main thing I like about the Galaxy Note 3 is the new technology.

The GN3's camera has the best image processing of any smartphone camera on the market.

Also the USB 3.0 is a nice touch to allow for ultra fast charging.

If I replace the Note 3 soon it wont be with the Nexus 5, its going to be a Xperia Z1 when ever Sony graces North America with the C6906 so I can use LTE on AT&T. Waterproof and good camera just too alluring for me.

Despite the 20MP camera on the Z1, the Note 3s camera is actually better from the reviews I've seen. MKBHD didn't even have it in his top 5 (it was a #6 honerable mention in the description though). Here's the camera part of his review of the Z1. Pretty much it takes the expected sharp pics, but it makes them washed out/bland and low light isn't that great either.

Plus Sony has said repeatedly that they're more interested in their Asian markets than the US at the moment. I really like their design and aesthetics, but all of their phones turn out to have a a few big disappointments that keep them from standing out.

Last edited:
If you'd waited more than 20 hours before swapping, I'd would've told you to seek out eXposed. As it has modules that do the DPI tweaking you want. Although you may need rooted to use it.

There were a few things I didn't like about the Note 3. One of those things was the knox efuse. I want the ability to flash my phone and not be made to feel like it's a crime.

There were a few things I didn't like about the Note 3. One of those things was the knox efuse. I want the ability to flash my phone and not be made to feel like it's a crime.

I completely agree with you on that one item. My next device after the Note2 will probably be an LG a la G2 because of KNOX shit. Although for my usage I love the SPen.

I completely agree with you on that one item. My next device after the Note2 will probably be an LG a la G2 because of KNOX shit. Although for my usage I love the SPen.

What does KNOX do prevent rom flashing or rooting?

What does KNOX do prevent rom flashing or rooting?

It exists solely to have a permanent means of tracking if a handset has ever been rooted so that your carrier can brick your warranty.

So even if you have a problem unrelated to firmware...say a bad USB port or screen, you're hosed.

It exists solely to have a permanent means of tracking if a handset has ever been rooted so that your carrier can brick your warranty.

So even if you have a problem unrelated to firmware...say a bad USB port or screen, you're hosed.

That's dumb.

We can thank those who abuse the warranty process for that one.

That's dumb.

We can thank those who abuse the warranty process for that one.

It sucks, but it's not dumb. The oems don't care about rooting or room flashing, this is all mandated by the carriers since they are the ones handling phone warranties. Carriers are already balancing a fine line of contact profits with phone subsidies and overhead prices, they just request the device to be locked down, oems supply the software. That's why you see tmobile phones easily rootable and att not.

One thing that's being pushed big time right now is byod type plans as they are starting to give better profit to the carrier and give consumers better price tiers, you pay for the device and get a lower priced plan, they don't have to worry about warranties.

Thats not what Knox is for.

The KNOX Platform leverages hardware-level features to provide enhanced security to protect the operating system and complies with US Government and Department of Defense (DoD) initiatives and standards for mobile device security (i.e. FIPS), enabling its use in government and other highly regulated enterprise environments. One of the central features of KNOX is its container technology that provides the separation of your work and personal life on your mobile device.

The oems don't care about rooting or room flashing, this is all mandated by the carriers since they are the ones handling phone warranties.

No.

Thats not what Knox is for.

The KNOX Platform leverages hardware-level features to provide enhanced security to protect the operating system and complies with US Government and Department of Defense (DoD) initiatives and standards for mobile device security (i.e. FIPS), enabling its use in government and other highly regulated enterprise environments. One of the central features of KNOX is its container technology that provides the separation of your work and personal life on your mobile device.

Exactly. Knox is an initiative by Samsung to get their devices on Government and Enterprise level networks. I'm a DoD employee and we're all still using Blackberries at the moment, but with RIM dying out, we're looking at Galaxy phones (as well as iPhones) to replace BB devices solely because of the Knox functionality. Knox was a brilliant move by Samsung and will make them an unimaginable amount of money if they get it onto the DoD's approved device listing. Not only will it allow us to stop using a seperate crappy government Blackberry, it will allow us to bring our personal phones onto the DoD's network without being forced to have a totally locked down phone that we can't do anything on because of our networks security policies (normally enforced by the Blackberry Enterprise Server - BES) while still being able to keep our government data secure and accessible, not to mention the money the government will save by not having to provide the device itself to the user.

I can't wait for it to happen just so I don't have to have two seperate phones though. Everything else is gravy. The only thing that will suck is I won't be able to root/ROM the phone. But that's becoming less and less of a need with the later Android revisions, I think, even with the TouchWiz UI.

No.

Exactly. Knox is an initiative by Samsung to get their devices on Government and Enterprise level networks. I'm a DoD employee and we're all still using Blackberries at the moment, but with RIM dying out, we're looking at Galaxy phones (as well as iPhones) to replace BB devices solely because of the Knox functionality. Knox was a brilliant move by Samsung and will make them an unimaginable amount of money if they get it onto the DoD's approved device listing. Not only will it allow us to stop using a seperate crappy government Blackberry, it will allow us to bring our personal phones onto the DoD's network without being forced to have a totally locked down phone that we can't do anything on because of our networks security policies (normally enforced by the Blackberry Enterprise Server - BES) while still being able to keep our government data secure and accessible, not to mention the money the government will save by not having to provide the device itself to the user.

I can't wait for it to happen just so I don't have to have two seperate phones though. Everything else is gravy. The only thing that will suck is I won't be able to root/ROM the phone. But that's becoming less and less of a need with the later Android revisions, I think, even with the TouchWiz UI.

Actually yes because Samsung provides devices without it installed. If the carrier wanted it they would be provided. It's a two way street that while I wish w didn't have to use I understand it's purpose.

I'm a dod employee as well, we looked at Apple phones and that quickly got denied. Moto phones are currently up and a few other brands are close to being tested. I will mention that I Like what I see.

I'm a dod employee as well, we looked at Apple phones and that quickly got denied. Moto phones are currently up and a few other brands are close to being tested. I will mention that I Like what I see.
I thought DoD approved all iOS devices mfr'd after a certain date?

No.

Samsung and Apple are the best devices for governmental organizations. Both are extremely high-tech and smooth performers and there are no issues with security.

The big no-nos are Lenovo and Huawei after a huge security scandal. Huawei in particular are linked to the Chinese government. HUGE no-no for me.

Just curious if anyone had the ATT Galaxy S4 earlier, and moved up to the Note 3 ? What are the differences, besides the obvious larger screen ?

- Battery life a ton better, or just little bit better ?

- Screen size hard to get used to on the N3, compared to the smaller S4 ?

- With the N3 being a 4.3 based OS, and also 3GB RAM & Snapdragon 800, is the N3 smooth and lag free ? My S4 feels a bit laggy here and there.

- Can the Note 3 still be pocketed easily, or hard to fit ? And no, I don't wear skinny jeans.

- Overall if you had the S4, and now the Note 3 was it a worthy upgrade ?

Thanks

Just curious if anyone had the ATT Galaxy S4 earlier, and moved up to the Note 3 ? What are the differences, besides the obvious larger screen ?

- With the N3 being a 4.3 based OS, and also 3GB RAM & Snapdragon 800, is the N3 smooth and lag free ? My S4 feels a bit laggy here and there.

- Can the Note 3 still be pocketed easily, or hard to fit ? And no, I don't wear skinny jeans.

Thanks

Battery life is a lot better
Only took me a day really to get used to the size difference
Yes, even in my gym shorts no problem
No lag. i even brought this up with my brother. I noticed lag with my S4, none with my N3.
Yes, totally worth it, IMO.

Battery life is a lot better
Only took me a day really to get used to the size difference
Yes, even in my gym shorts no problem
No lag. i even brought this up with my brother. I noticed lag with my S4, none with my N3.
Yes, totally worth it, IMO.

How bout screen technology / display ? I know it's larger screen than the S4 of course, but are they the exact same type of screen, just different size ? Or is the Note 3 newer better display tech at all compared to the S4 ?

How bout screen technology / display ? I know it's larger screen than the S4 of course, but are they the exact same type of screen, just different size ? Or is the Note 3 newer better display tech at all compared to the S4 ?

Not really sure what that means but the screen does look better on the N3 if that's what you're asking, lol

Went from an S4 to a note 3 on ATT, i had no complaints with the S4....but i love the Ns

both screens utilize Samsung's Super AMOLED technology. Both are 1080 x 1920 pixels, pixel density is a bit higher on the Galaxy S4, but the difference is negligible.

The Note 3 seems to be easier to read when outside in the sunlight

Tooks about a day to get used to the size

fits in my pocket finem I wear shorts about 98% of the time, but the times I've worn jeans no issues either.

Battery life is fantastic

Thanks

Battery life is amazing depending on your usage. Of course the normal things will drain battery just like any other phone, but you can probably get a full day use out of being a power user where most phones would be dead by 2-4pm. Being conservative, I managed to get about a day and a half of juice. Now with lots of apps/processes, soon as my phone leaves my charger around 7:30pm I can make it home by 5:30pm with about 70% left, and by night I may have like 60% ish, with high 50s if I use it more at home via texting/whatnot with about 10% battery drain at night I could theoretically use it for another work day and make it home fine without charging.

Size takes about a day to get used to. Obviously if you have smaller hands, it might be more troublesome. But I'm a 5'8'' male and I have no problems navigating even with one hand. There are options for keyboard/UI to enable one handed use or to make it easier and yes there are some thing that will be tricky to do with one hand, but overall, it's not the OMG ITS TOO BIG people claim.

Miles may vary with lag. Right now I experience a lot of lag switching to the Flipboard like feature when pressing the home button, and experienced a few quirks with applications force closing but 99% of the time the phone can handle anything you throw at it. Especially noticeable in Google maps. Rotating maps/zooming in/out is smooth as butter. Multi-window is smooth as butter. Extra window is smooth as butter, and multi-tasking is very worry free.

Pockets very easily, but again, your miles may vary depending on what size pockets your pants have. The majority of them should be fine and will leave way more than enough room so it doesn't slide out when you sit down or something weird.

I'd say yes. Just based on power alone. Now if you didn't need the S-Pen functionality or couldn't really justify dropping an extra $100 right this instant (maybe even more, not sure what S4s are going for nowadays), or didn't need that big of a screen, then I'd say still go with the S4. However, the N3 is leagues better in future proofing - 4k video, 3 GB ram, and a solid processor (search Coldfustion on youtube and check out their videos. They do an augmented reality test where the N3 crushes even beasts like the HTC One) that will last well into your next upgrade.

Thanks

I own the Galaxy Note 3 and owned the SGS4 for a few weeks (well I technically still have access to it since my brother owns it now).

The Galaxy Note 3 definitely has the much better battery and IS pocketable unless you're tiny or are a child.

The Galaxy Note 3 is a very worthy upgrade over the SGS4 for a few reasons:

• The Galaxy Note 3 has 4K video recording and can record 1080p video at 60 frames per second
  • The Galaxy Note 3 camera is rated as the best out of all smartphone cameras. Best image processing capabilities as mentioned by Marques Brownlee (a well known tech reviewer): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMb-jXlkNwY Even beats out the Lumia 1020's 41MP camera because the Galaxy Note 3 has superior image processing.
  • The Galaxy Note 3 has USB 3.0 connectivity which charges the battery faster and more efficiently and allows for speedy data transfer
  • The Galaxy Note 3's screen is much larger while still in a compact form factor
  • Unlike the SGS4, the Galaxy Note 3 is virtually lag-free. I know of the lag you're talking about on the SGS4. It wasn't jerky lag, but it was the random bouts of lag every now and then. Never happens on the Galaxy Note 3. The Snapdragon 800 and 3GB RAM is a beast of a combination.

The Galaxy Note 3 is a huge step ahead of everything else on the market IMO. It really should be a 2014/2015 smartphone.

Last edited:
I really want to trade up to a Note 3 from my Note 2 on Verizon. I still love my Note 2 though and am curious to see what the 4.3 update will do for it. If I could find a Note 3 for $500 or less used and sell my Note 2 for $300 or so, I think it would be a worthy upgrade. But I haven't seen any 3s much lower than $600 used still.

Anyone go from the Note 2 to Note 3? The only trade-off I can tell between the phones is the speaker; it's pretty loud on the 2 and I keep reading that the 3s speaker isn't nearly as loud as the Note 2 or GS4s, which kinda sucks as that's one of the things I love on the 2.

The Note 3 is simply one of the best devices I've ever owned. I would say my favorite things about it are the OLED screen, battery life, and how quickly it charges.

Does anyone what kind of car charger (USB adapter) is best for the device?

Does anyone what kind of car charger (USB adapter) is best for the device?

I have this Anker and this Verizon charger in two of my vehicles and they both work great for my Note 2 and wife's GS4. They're both 2A chargers that keep charging our phones while navigating and streaming music and have a spare USB port to charge anything else, so we're not ever fighting over who gets the charger while we're driving. So I'm happy with them.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, I might give that a try. My primary concern was finding one that can charge as fast as the supplied USB adapter/cable.

I agree with all of the positive about the Note 3. This is the first phone I'm actually "extremely" happy with and I've had numerous of smart phones.

Back