Galaxy Note 2 vs S3 vs iPhone 5 - Bang for your buck

Theres only bang for buck with iphone 5 if you dont need any more than a 16gb version. If you need anymore then its a total rip off compared to the note 2. You need more on the note 2 then you just chuck a cheap fast 64gb micro sd card in making it an 80gb phone if you got the 16gb version. Youre talking £200 more if you want the 64gb iphone 5 over the 16gb.

Back on topic the note 2 is the best bang for buck. You can do everything on it. Way more than an iphone even an ipad.

Android app market isn't close, its one of the main reasons I don't switch. Way too many apps I'd either be downgrading in quality or flat out dropping. The Note 2 does have a huge screen though, which is a plus in and of itself.

You're right about SD cards being cheap, which is also great for the Note 2, but as its been pointed out the very high resale value of iPhones does a great deal to offset the initial cost, even with fixed memory.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 offers much more than the iPhone 5. The SGN2 has the bigger screen, higher resolution, stylus, more functionality, more accurate and better functioning maps and navigation systems and better video camera. I don't have huge hands and I can still use the SGN2 with one hand.

The iPhone 5's screen is tiny. And I mean tiny compared to current generation of smartphones. The iPhone 5 was designed for midgets. It's annoying to read on the iPhone 5 compared to the SGS3 or the SGN2.

And I just hate how Apple failed on Apple maps and have a lot of bugs in their software. iTunes is utterly crap because it doesn't sync properly half the time.

Also the resale value of iPhones is not that good.

Resale values compared:

My friend who had the Samsung Galaxy S2 sold it for $180 a few months ago too.

My friend who had the iPhone 4S sold it for $150 a few months ago.

Used Samsung Galaxy S3s are going for around $450 on average on Ebay at the moment.

Used iPhone 5s are going for $450 on average on Ebay at the moment *The iPhone 5 was released about 5 months after the SGS3 but it seems to not affect the resale value

So, if anything, the Samsung Galaxy S3 has the advantage in terms of resale values. So I don't know where the iFanboys got that the iPhone 5 has higher resale value than the SGS3 because from my research, they're the same even though the iPhone 5 was released much later. Kind of conflicting results, don't you think?

However people shouldn't buy phones based on resale values. Buy a phone that's good for you. I prefer bigger phones with more features. Some people prefer the iPhone 5 which is tiny but appeals to some users because maybe they have tiny hands.

It all depends on the person :).

Last edited:
Android app market isn't close, its one of the main reasons I don't switch. Way too many apps I'd either be downgrading in quality or flat out dropping.

I've found this a mixed bag, myself... Having used iPhone/ipod, iPad, Android phone, and android tablet I dont see a clear victor other than more apps on android are free compared to iOS (ex: AngryBirds) though likewise there are a lot of sites where you can get free iTunes Store credit by reviewing apps (vs afaik zero for getting Play credit)

Android app market isn't close, its one of the main reasons I don't switch. Way too many apps I'd either be downgrading in quality or flat out dropping. The Note 2 does have a huge screen though, which is a plus in and of itself.

You're right about SD cards being cheap, which is also great for the Note 2, but as its been pointed out the very high resale value of iPhones does a great deal to offset the initial cost, even with fixed memory.

I cant see why people say this, the main apps that people use are just as good on either OS. theres essential apps you cant get on android and essential apps you cant get on ios, dont forget were not comparing os were comparing phones here, the note 2 has massive advantages in a lot of crucial apps making experiences seamless. ie split screen usage and multitasking, copying and pasting, note taking, better emailing for business use, photoshop with the pen etc, theres no contest.

Last edited:
In my actual experience iOS devices are the best bang for the buck by far because of resale value.

I bought the Original iPhone for $400, sold it for $200 and bought the 3Gs for $200, sold it for $200 and bought the 4 for $200, sold it for $200 and bought the 5 for $200. I bought them all new using my carrier discount.

So I have had 4 iPhones used over the past 5 years and the total money I spent was $400 on hardware. My contract price runs me $50 a month as well so that has been ~$3000 over the 5 years.

It's a piece of cake to sell a used iPhone in good condition for $200.

Aside from the cost the two platforms obviously have a very different features and usages.

Personally I prefer iOS and iPhone hardware to Android and Samsung's phone hardware. I have used both too. You will have to give both a try to find out for yourself which you like more. There are many pros and cons to each any many reasons why someone would prefer either.

You shouldn't purchase things based on resale value. Buy something to use and enjoy it :)

I've found this a mixed bag, myself... Having used iPhone/ipod, iPad, Android phone, and android tablet I dont see a clear victor other than more apps on android are free compared to iOS (ex: AngryBirds) though likewise there are a lot of sites where you can get free iTunes Store credit by reviewing apps (vs afaik zero for getting Play credit)

Pay apps are the big difference for me. Aside from sun tracking and cinematography apps that I use (obviously very purpose specific to my job), there are things like German board games and deck-building games that are iOS only. This company does a fantastic job with them. Ascension is one of my favorite games right now and Agricola is coming soon! http://www.playdekgames.com/game_catalog.php

Ticket To Ride is another one, iOS only with no plans for Android. Other great games like Plague Inc were exclusive to iOS for months before the devs finally ported it over, same with CryTek's game (I think Epic is still staying iOS exclusive). There is still no release date for the Android version of Baldur's Gate. Other games like Frozen Synapse, one of my favorite PC games from the last two years, is coming to iOS with no plans for an Android version.

There are numerous other non-game apps off the top of my head, Alien Blue (Reddit client that is better than the website), Reeder, Jasmine, Prompt (amazing SSH client), etc, are iOS only and with a level of polish and functionality to them that I have yet to see elsewhere.

I dunno, its a big enough difference in quality and quantity where switching platforms would be a downgrade, but then again I use a lot of apps. If you're only using big mainstream apps like Netflix, Angry Birds, web surfing, then obviously it isn't that big a deal. That's when you open yourself up to other positives that Android has like phablets, etc.

I will actually add to that list, Apps like Air Video and the iOS Airplay option. I've never found an android app as good (plex is great in-network, but I've yet to find a way to get it working over the internet without additional programs like a DynamicDNS service --- though this might be my own fault) and personally I've yet to find a music system as great as iTunes/iPhone/iPod - the battery life, the auto-sync, etc is incredable (yes, I know there are apps like Double-Twist, but I still find it a LOT more combersome and less polished than iTunes (which is saying soemthing since on a PC, itunes is a real POS)) but I never said all android apps were superior and I'd be a fool to claim such a thing. hell for a long time PALM had a leg up on everyone with Documents to Go (which has since been ported to both iOS and Android iirc) These are some of the reasons I dont plan to ever trade my iPad for an android tablet for primary use (not to mention I *hate* 16:9 resolution on a tablet, it's too wide in landscape and too narrow in portrait, the iPad's 4:3 is MUCH better for reading or web-browsing, not to mention SD video which still comprises over 2/3 of my movie/TV library)

However, as you said yourself, for things like web browsing going from iPhone to Note2 is a huge improvement in part due to the screen size even if the pixel density isn't as high, same with most videos (yes I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, but we're looking at extremely small screens (iphone/ipod) vs large screens (ipad/tablets) on a smaller screen the note is better imo, while on a larger screen iPad is better (what's the point in watching a movie if you cant see it?)

Also there are some apps that are android exclusive that are much better than their iOS counterparts (if they even exist) such as Spectral Souls, and it's a LOT easier with any game to map a gamepad in android than in iOS. Everything's a tradeoff, and it all depends on your home ecosystem as well, since I already have an AppleTV and an iPad, I'd actually be happy to stay with iPhone if there was a JB, but so many features I want are not avalible because of this, so I lose some things I want but gain others - same with keeping my iPad instead of switching to an android tablet, lose some features, gain others.

And on a vaguely-related note, I had no idea Baldur's Gate was ported to iOS, I'll have to check that out for my iPad :D

With installous on the way out expect apps to swing even more in Apple's favor, imo. If you need a good business phone I would take the Gnote2, if not iPhone 5.

Last edited:
Pay apps are the big difference for me. Aside from sun tracking and cinematography apps that I use (obviously very purpose specific to my job), there are things like German board games and deck-building games that are iOS only. This company does a fantastic job with them. Ascension is one of my favorite games right now and Agricola is coming soon! http://www.playdekgames.com/game_catalog.php

Ticket To Ride is another one, iOS only with no plans for Android. Other great games like Plague Inc were exclusive to iOS for months before the devs finally ported it over, same with CryTek's game (I think Epic is still staying iOS exclusive). There is still no release date for the Android version of Baldur's Gate. Other games like Frozen Synapse, one of my favorite PC games from the last two years, is coming to iOS with no plans for an Android version.

Apple paying for exclusive rights to game manufacturers so no other platform can enjoy them is yet another reason to avoid Apple products.

Apple paying for exclusive rights to game manufacturers so no other platform can enjoy them is yet another reason to avoid Apple products.

Think you misinterpreted what he's saying.

Apple isn't paying for exclusive rights. He's saying that many developers choose to develop exclusively for iOS despite Android theoretically having a larger customer base. They often have good reasons why.

I talked with id Software's mobile development lead in 2011, Rafael Brown. I asked why the company wasn't developing for Android, and he pointed out a few issues. Hardware diversity can be a liability for the platform, not an asset: the wild differences in graphics techniques on Android meant id couldn't do a cutting edge game without excluding the majority of devices, and that's not counting other hardware differences or OS fragmentation (despite Google's claims, this is a very real problem for developers). iOS guarantees access to a common pool of fast hardware whose OS is updated quickly and frequently. Brown also pointed out rampant piracy on Android; it certainly exists on iOS, but it's easier on Android.

There's a few other things as well. I know developers on both sides, and the consensus is that Apple's developer toolset is considerably better (with quirks). It's easier and faster to develop a polished iOS title when all other factors are equal. Consider this: many of Google's newest interfaces for Gmail, Google Maps and YouTube came to iOS first, not Android. That says something about speed of development, even when you discount the narrower iOS hardware selection.

Moreover, Apple has simply done a better job of exposing new apps and getting their creators paid. It's getting better on Android, but there's still a sense that many of the platform's apps are quickly buried, and that you sometimes 'have' to offer a free version to get Android users interested (see: Rovio and Zeptolab). It's hard to tell a developer that they should develop for a lot of customers that won't see or pay for an app versus a smaller number that will.

I got to play with a GN2 and iPhone 5 at a New Year's Eve party, last night. First time I've had them side-by-side. If I used my phone for actual work-related stuff, I'd get the GN2 for its big screen, big battery and ability to have a few productivity apps running simultaneously. End of story.

However, I don't need my phone to function as a mobile workstation. I also could not care less about gaming on it. I need it for calls, text, e-mail, internet, music, videos, radio, camera and occasional editing of some files. All that points to the 5 as the better choice for me. I just need some Apple hacking whiz brain super geek living in his mommy's basement to jailbreak the goddamned thing!!!!!!!!!!

Apple doesn't pay exclusivity rights to anyone. iOS is the target mobile development platform simply because it is the most profitable one out there. Companies that do cross-platform development have said that they make a quarter for every dollar they make on iOS. There are several reasons why.

- Despite fewer overall users, iOS has much higher internet traffic and app usage numbers than Android. Even Google makes more money from ads and services on iOS than they do on their own Android. The reason for this is that the Android userbase number is highly inflated by dumbphones and featurephones that don't get used in the same way smartphones like the iPhone 5 or GS3 do. Android may have many users but most of them are on low end devices that aren't used as for things like apps or internet.

- The iOS App Store is a centralized marketplace that every developer has access to, and it also protects their profits. This is in contrast to Google with its decentralized app distribution platform (Amazon and Play being the few exceptions) that are rife with malware. Which leads to...

- Piracy is rampant and easy on Android. Big minus for mobile developers. Piracy on iOS only happens via jailbreaking, but the difference between a small percentage of iOS jealbreakers and every single Android device being capable of sideloading pirated apps is huge.

- On top of being less profitable, Android is also harder to support due to hardware and OS fragmentation. The majority of Android devices in the wild are still running Gingerbread, and even many of the newest Android devices still aren't on JB. All of this combined with different hardware configurations makes it a more costly platform to support, on top of making far less money in the first place. This is why many companies just don't bother making an Android version.

The cost of additional resources needed for Android support, as well as Android hardware being slower and having far fewer paying customers, is why there is this difference in the app market. The sheer number of Android users is why you see as many apps as you do on the platform, despite its numerous existing problems (which to Google's credit they have been trying hard to fix recently).

Consider this: many of Google's newest interfaces for Gmail, Google Maps and YouTube came to iOS first, not Android. That says something about speed of development, even when you discount the narrower iOS hardware selection.

Yup. The best version of Google Maps is on iOS right now, which does seem strange. Also strange is that Google still makes more money from iOS than they do from Android. There is this misconception that more users = more money, but it doesn't when most Android users are on low end devices that aren't really used for internet and apps.

Yup. The best version of Google Maps is on iOS right now, which does seem strange. Also strange is that Google still makes more money from iOS than they do from Android. There is this misconception that more users = more money, but it doesn't when most Android users are on low end devices that aren't really used for internet and apps.

This is wrong! Just because google maps looks pretty on iphone 5 doesnt make it a better app. The android version does much more. Dont be blinded by better marketing.
From engadgets review of googlemaps for iphone:
"Whether that's due to a purported tight release schedule or not, it's hard to ignore the missing features when you dig in deep. It's not iPad-optimized, for one. Layers are limited largely to satellite and traffic data, without extras like bicycling or terrain. You can't quickly browse through local attractions without starting a search, or cache maps for offline use. Turn-by-turn navigation doesn't provide a night mode, customizable map layers or manually specified rerouting. None of these omissions necessarily break the deal, but they're features particularly demanding travelers might want or even need."

All thats happened is Apple messed up and google has taken advantage of the situation and made people more aware of google. Ios users will end up prefering google apps over ios native apps or switching to android in the long run. Google ends up winning on all counts. Another reason apple only allows links, calls in their browsers etc to only direct to apples own apps.

And here's another review pointing the other way: http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760770/google-maps-iphone-available-features-navigation-transit

None of the features listed in the Engadget review except for iPad optimization (certainly coming) and caching for offline use (not a dealbreaker since I have LTE on all my devices) are really meaningful. Look to the Android version of Maps adopting the new UI on iOS. It happened with other Google apps, launching new versions on iOS first and then getting ported to Android, and it'll happen here too.

made people more aware of google

Made people more aware of Google, huh? Weird argument, everyone on iOS knows and uses Google services and apps. Google makes more money off of iOS than they do their own Android platform, that should tell you everything. It is in their own best financial interests to give excellent support to iOS, especially with the removal of Google Maps in iOS6. It isn't about "showing up" anyone, it is pure business.

Last edited:
I keep seeing others post the Email app is better on the Note 2... I came from the iOS system to my new Note 2 and feel the only thing lacking is my email client. What is everyone using? The default client seems clunky and not the most user friendly like the mail app did on the iPhone.

Other the my grip above I have to admit I own everything Apple from the get go (iPads, iPhones, iPods, macbooks, iMacs, Apple TV) and I would as it stands currently not have to think twice about keeping my Note 2 over the iPhone.... it is THAT good. 3 days of heavy usage and still at 50% battery and the speed of this monster is just insane! I love it :)

I keep seeing others post the Email app is better on the Note 2... I came from the iOS system to my new Note 2 and feel the only thing lacking is my email client. What is everyone using? The default client seems clunky and not the most user friendly like the mail app did on the iPhone.

Other the my grip above I have to admit I own everything Apple from the get go (iPads, iPhones, iPods, macbooks, iMacs, Apple TV) and I would as it stands currently not have to think twice about keeping my Note 2 over the iPhone.... it is THAT good. 3 days of heavy usage and still at 50% battery and the speed of this monster is just insane! I love it :)

Give it time. Gmail 0n android does so much more than ios email clients. Especially for business use.

It all matters about which OS you like hut if you want to sell it later on get the iPhone 5... It retains it value like crazy. But I, honestly would prefer the note II ;)

It all matters about which OS you like hut if you want to sell it later on get the iPhone 5... It retains it value like crazy. But I, honestly would prefer the note II ;)

This.

I'm actually having trouble justifying buying an off-contract Note2 @ ~$550 knowing that in a couple years it will likely be worth <$100, vs my iPhone5 which will only drop ~$100/year in value

This.

I'm actually having trouble justifying buying an off-contract Note2 @ ~$550 knowing that in a couple years it will likely be worth <$100, vs my iPhone5 which will only drop ~$100/year in value

You definitely have a point for that. My GNote II will probably be worth crap all when I upgrade middle of this year.

You definitely have a point for that. My GNote II will probably be worth crap all when I upgrade middle of this year.

Then someone would pick it up for an absolute bargain. Why dont we all wait 6 months and get the note 2 for $100.......it would be the best but cheapest phone and on the planet. Why would anyone want a nexus 4 if the note 2 is cheaper??!! Would someone like to show me a note 1 in excellent condition thats less than $100 to buy? :rolleyes:

Then someone would pick it up for an absolute bargain. Why dont we all wait 6 months and get the note 2 for $100.......it would be the best but cheapest phone and on the planet. Why would anyone want a nexus 4 if the note 2 is cheaper??!! Would someone like to show me a note 1 in excellent condition thats less than $100 to buy? :rolleyes:

If we go by Buy It Now, the GN1 is pulling the same price as the GN2, however if you go by bidding, theonly GN1 I saw on eBay is currently @ $217 vs GN2s @ ~$550, that's close to a 50% price cut in around a year iirc... in two years (typical cellular contract time) the GN1 will be going for even less.

If we go by Buy It Now, the GN1 is pulling the same price as the GN2, however if you go by bidding, theonly GN1 I saw on eBay is currently @ $217 vs GN2s @ ~$550, that's close to a 50% price cut in around a year iirc... in two years (typical cellular contract time) the GN1 will be going for even less.

Yer i saw one bidding at $200.....it eventually sold for $380 :rolleyes: not bad for a 15 month old device!

Now looking over here in the uk an iphone 5 sells for £479 unlocked on ebay. A 4s unlocked goes for £339
A 4 unlocked goes for £250.....Thats nearly half price.

A note 2 in uk goes for about £465 unlocked. A note 1 goes for £300

So really for UK resale value on galaxy series isnt as good as iphones but its still pretty dam good considering the choice of anroid phones out there and the arguably better experience!

Last edited:
I would only recommend the iPhone 5, if the Jailbreak is out for iOS 6. But it's not yet, and no timetable set. So just a stock iPhone 5, no way.

The Galaxy S III is a very nice phone, and tons of development out for it.

I would only recommend the iPhone 5, if the Jailbreak is out for iOS 6. But it's not yet, and no timetable set. So just a stock iPhone 5, no way.

The Galaxy S III is a very nice phone, and tons of development out for it.

This. I probably would have bought the iPhone 5 if there was an untethered jailbreak available (or a Nexus 4 if it had LTE). Without things like Activator, BrowserChanger, etc. the phone just isn't usable to me (I liked using Chrome as the default browser, Sparrow as the default mail, and swiping up for multitasking). I ended up going with the Note 2, which has been awesome (with a few tweaks like on-screen buttons, again - for multitasking). It's a computer that fits in your pocket.

This +2. Only reason I haven't and won't upgrade to the 5 is the lack of an untethered jailbreak. Doesn't look too promising for one, but I still have hope.

This +2. Only reason I haven't and won't upgrade to the 5 is the lack of an untethered jailbreak. Doesn't look too promising for one, but I still have hope.

Whats the hold up on the iOS6 JailBreak ? I am a big Android nerd, but getting bored, would be willing to go back to an iPhone, if the iPhone 5 was jailbroke already.

Go ahead and have it for a bargain. People can buy note 2s here brand new for under 500 here canadian. BRAND NEW. I dont give a rats about european currency as I dont live in Europe. The market here where I live deems how much I can resell it for.

Whats the hold up on the iOS6 JailBreak ? I am a big Android nerd, but getting bored, would be willing to go back to an iPhone, if the iPhone 5 was jailbroke already.
Apple really put the clamps on iOS 6. All the the top jailbreakers have reported incredible difficulty trying to crack it. Some are speculating it's just not possible this time. :( :mad:

I'll tell you that I thought the iPhone 5 was a toy after seeing my parents use theirs here over Christmas. It was tiny, didn't feel right, and the OS was just plain terrible compared to what I could do with my Note 2.

I literally can't ever see myself using another phone that size after using the Note 2. For me the Note 2 is the perfect device for calling, texting, email, and as a business device. It gets used for presentations, notes, well pretty much damn near everything I do now. I know this may sound like flamebait, but the iPhone 5 literally felt and looked like a toy phone I just bought my 11 month old son for Christmas after using my Note 2. My mom preferred the size of the iPhone; however, my dad couldn't wait to see if he could trade in his phone for the Note 2.

But as usual, personal preference varies.

I'll tell you that I thought the iPhone 5 was a toy after seeing my parents use theirs here over Christmas. It was tiny, didn't feel right, and the OS was just plain terrible compared to what I could do with my Note 2.

I literally can't ever see myself using another phone that size after using the Note 2. For me the Note 2 is the perfect device for calling, texting, email, and as a business device. It gets used for presentations, notes, well pretty much damn near everything I do now. I know this may sound like flamebait, but the iPhone 5 literally felt and looked like a toy phone I just bought my 11 month old son for Christmas after using my Note 2. My mom preferred the size of the iPhone; however, my dad couldn't wait to see if he could trade in his phone for the Note 2.

But as usual, personal preference varies.
Yeah, one could interpret much of your post as flamebait. I've used the Note 2 and iPhone 5, too. They're both excellent devices and I can appreciate one without bashing the other. The way I see it, if you want a personal communication device + mini computer for work, business, etc., the Note 2 is the superior choice. If you want a personal communication device but don't need/want a huge screen and mini computer, the iPhone 5 is the superior choice. Arguing over them has all the appeal of the "tastes great, less filling" debate.

My mom preferred the size of the iPhone

I see this a lot, for people with smaller hands the note 2 is huge and cumbersome (as much as I like it, it's strictly a 2-handed device for me unless I'm using voice command or have it mounted or such) I can appreciate the one-handed control of the iPhone5, but really imo if your gonna do more with it than basics the note is FAR easier to use even if it does require 2 hands.

I still don't understand how people consider the iPhone a "toy phone" or a "kiddy phone". They are excellent phones for a certain market and it works really well. Not only is it one of the better looking phones on the market, it has good software to back it up.

Android and iOS has their place.

The size of it compared to the note 2 is where I'm drawing the comparison at. It is just so small compared to the note 2. I really wish I had taken a picture of the two in my hand and my parents both had otterbox cases on theirs. It literally fit in the palm of my hand.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is definitely a lot smaller in comparison to my Note 2. But it is still a sexy looking phone.

For what its worth, Note 2 is awesome.

My friend who had the iPhone 4S sold it for $150 a few months ago.

LOL what? I just sold my wife's 4S for $350 back in Oct. I still see the avg going price is around $300. Unless the phone was messed up in someway your friend left some money on the table.

Back