Galaxy Note 2 vs S3 vs iPhone 5 - Bang for your buck

LOL what? I just sold my wife's 4S for $350 back in Oct. I still see the avg going price is around $300. Unless the phone was messed up in someway your friend left some money on the table.

I just bought a used 4s for my mom from the forum here for 295 shipped (white too) so your buddy either got ripped of or his phone was in poor poor condition.

I am also going to go ahead and say it, the note 2 is too fucking big and it looks ridiculous. Its a fad that will go away, every phone now is bigger and bigger and people will realize that they dont need that big of phones to do most things.

I have a galaxy nexus and I already think its too big. My gf has the s3 and its too big too, the note 2 looks ridiculous when someone is holding it specially when a girl with small hands is using it.

I dont like the form factor of the iphone 5 and i wish we would have stoped at 4.3in which would have given us a nice ppi./size.

I am sorry but i just cant get on board with the note 2 and next year everyone else will have phablet and I might have to go the iphone route since I dont want my phone that big.

edit: also touchwiz, gross.

I am also going to go ahead and say it, the note 2 is too fucking big and it looks ridiculous. Its a fad that will go away, every phone now is bigger and bigger and people will realize that they dont need that big of phones to do most things.

I can see the trend going either way. You cant deny a phablet is easier to browse the web on or watch videos on, etc, than a smaller screen. However, I agree we're pushing the limit, even if I personally like it. But, the fact that so many people use bluetooth for calling (since voice control is reaching a point where it's actually usable now, compared to the olden days) a lot of people wont be holding it unless it is for viewing content. So, like I said, this is a trend that could become the next standard or fade away. I think there will always be one or two phablets for a niche market, but I'm be surprised if the whole world adopts this form-factor unless we really do go "phone *IS* the PC" where desktops are just docking stations and laptops disappear (which I would highly doubt happening) I could see a line of basically "phone-enabled tablets" (that's what we're essentially getting, especially if the note3 really will have a 6.x-inch screen) but most people will say "this is getting too big" unless the whole computing landscape changes (though given the popularity of tablets now... I cant say that's impossible)

Maybe.
I have seen all sorts of people with the Note 2 that I never thought I would see.
I have nothing against the note or its form factor and I know some people love it and use it. One of my best friends has it and uses it all the time/benefits from its form factor and the stylus but its not for everyone. I however see cellphone companies pushing it on everyone as if its the net big thing. Samsung scored big with the phablet and I know other companies are planing their phablets to come out this year too.
I can kind of agree that its easier to browse the web and watch videos but when I am at home I have my tablet which is even easier and on the go a 4.6in screen is more than enough... To me, its not significantly better to justify the size. Its also not a good phone, you hold that up for 10 minutes and your hand is tired. I dont and will never use bluetooth to call.

I agree with you, it might not be a fad, it might be. we will see.
Remember when everyone bought netbooks and now no one wants those shits but who would have predicted it back there.

I completely see your point, as I said in another thread, I'm actually looking at keeping my iPhone5 now that there's potentially a jailbreak coming out soon. I use my phone for making calls, SMS, music, and checking email/forums mostly. the GN2 has some great features and some great gimmicks (I consider the S-pen a gimmick - while some people will love it, most of us will rarely use it) and if your still going to carry a tablet around like I do, there's no need in having a gigantic phone. (I at first though, like I'm sure many did, of getting the GN2 and getting rid of my tablet, but after using it a few days (had to send it back due to a bad ESN) it's just not large enough to replace a 10-inch tablet)

heh, Netbooks... I bought into it for a while due to battery life, and I still know a few people that like them (my mother is actually planning to get a netbook when her laptop dies because she doesn't want to lug around a good 10+lbs of laptop+cords+bag+etc around and can fit a netbook in her bag but doesn't want a tablet because it lacks a physical keyboard)

I think netbooks were a gateway to tablets, the tech just wasn't advanced enough back then to produce a fast, light, useable, tablet with good battery life or a good, cheep, stylus-free touch-screen (I even remember a mod for the EeePC to remove the keyboard, add a touch-panel, and flip the screen over so it became a tablet) They're still good for certain applications, just like phablets, they're a niche market and will likely remain so.

it should also be noted that I've been watching eBay and now that Xmas is over, the cost for a GN2 is dropping, I even saw one that was $480 end with zero bids.

Back