Galaxy Note 2 benchmarks are out

Matalim

Limp Gawd
http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3206/benchmarks-samsung-galaxy-note-ii-vs-apple-iphone-5

Out of the 12 benchmarks, it lost 9 of them to the iPhone5. Apple's A6 1Ghz (auto underclock/overclock 800mhz-1.3Ghz) is still beating a Quad Core 1.6HZ chip. We'll see how the A6 does against the S4 Pro phones soon.

28bwg15.jpg

2gwt6q0.jpg

2r7x4j9.jpg

2dha7hc.jpg

I wonder how the benchmarks would change if they used an optimized rom.

Probably not too much since the Note II is pretty much still a S3 with a quad A9 class CPU.

If it had been an A15 or Krait then this would be looking different.

It's not a big difference, certainly not enough to override the platform issues or preferences.

It's interesting, but Apple has the advantage of a very controlled platform where as Android has to run on a lot of devices so there are probably some additional layers involved (guessing). That does not mean Apple isn't faster, but I'm wondering how the CPUs would compare on a common OS.

The issue is?

*sigh*.

The only reason you would get the Note II is because you want a bigger screen, it was obvious the performance wasn't going to be much better than anything current on Android.

The CPU is good but the compiler toolchain and software are probably the biggest chunk of the difference, as it's always been.

You'd have to keep the software stack constant to accurately measure differences between CPUs. Just considering the clocks and architectures the A6 is pretty ordinary.

So? Its the same resolution and # of pixels to push.

People that want a 5.5 inch screen aren't going to buy an iPhone 5. Honestly, these benchmarks are getting more useless by the day. There is no distributed computing (or nearly the power to even try), and both phones will run Angry Birds. If you are basing your purchasing decision based on the raw performance, in today's day and age when flagship phones can rip through anything anyways, your e-peen will be severely hurt. If you want a big ass phone, you are going to get the Note 2 like my wife. If you want the latest iPhone, you'll get an iPhone. If you want bricks produced by Samsung or Apple, you'll buy bricks with their respective logo's on it.

So? Its the same resolution and # of pixels to push.

640 × 1,136 = 720 x 1280 Really?

Also I'm annoyed at myself for posting in a troll thread.

Please do all of us a favor and label clearly threads. Something like the Iphone 5 utterly dominates the Note2 would've been more appropriate. It would've given us better warning as to what to expect.

I came in looking for galaxy note 2 benchmarks not a fanboy desperately trying to validate his iphone 5 faith and spark a flame war.

Yes we are aware by now that the A6 is a very good proc and even more it seems that the GPU is quite a beast. We also knew for a while that the Note 2 has the same proc as the intl GS3 just slightly higher clocked so unless you were living under a rock where is the surprise?

Anyway for anyone interested ... here is a comprehensive review of this phone:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii-review-824.php

Just ignore the iPhone5's high scores and look at the Note 2 scores against the S3. Problem?

Just ignore the iPhone5's high scores and look at the Note 2 scores against the S3. Problem?

The problem is that statements like this:

Matalim said:
Out of the 12 benchmarks, it lost 9 of them to the iPhone5. Apple's A6 1Ghz (auto underclock/overclock 800mhz-1.3Ghz) is still beating a Quad Core 1.6HZ chip.

have only one purpose: start a flamewar

Also since you seem very confused </sarcasm> about why a dual core can beat a quad core

Well let me spell it out for you...newer architecture

Same reason the dual core A15-ish krait gs3 trades blows with the quad core A9 based exynos gs3

So nothing magic

Soon flagship android phones switch to A15 arch. type cores then Apple will retaliate with the 5s then Android manufacturers will retaliate with tweaked A15 (or something else)..... and so on

competition is good :)

The problem is that statements like this:

have only one purpose: start a flamewar

Also since you seem very confused </sarcasm> about why a dual core can beat a quad core

Well let me spell it out for you...newer architecture

Same reason the dual core A15-ish krait gs3 trades blows with the quad core A9 based exynos gs3

So nothing magic

Soon flagship android phones switch to A15 arch. type cores then Apple will retaliate with the 5s then Android manufacturers will retaliate with tweaked A15 (or something else)..... and so on

competition is good :)

There is nothing inflammatory about his statement. It's the most benign statement of fact I've ever read. Yet you react with hate and vitriol because it wsn't your precious phone or platform that won. Pathetic really.

You, sir, are the troll.

There is nothing inflammatory about his statement. It's the most benign statement of fact I've ever read. Yet you react with hate and vitriol because it wsn't your precious phone or platform that won. Pathetic really.

You, sir, are the troll.

LOL.

If it was the other way around we would be hearing about all the cons of Android and the pros of iOS. Seriously, you and Matalim are the two biggest Apple fanboys on here and you make everyone hate Apple more because of the shit you post. Like I said before, I don't mind if you like iOS or Android or w/e, just don't be such a flaming douche about it.

I own a GS3. Props to Apple for the hardware they put in their phone. I just didn't want to wait the month+ and have 1500+ dollars on hold for 2 phones.

Also, I've been saying from the start, the iPhone 5 destroys any android phone out right now. No ifs ands or buts. And the gaming experience is WAY better.

I own a GS3. Props to Apple for the hardware they put in their phone. I just didn't want to wait the month+ and have 1500+ dollars on hold for 2 phones.

Also, I've been saying from the start, the iPhone 5 destroys any android phone out right now. No ifs ands or buts. And the gaming experience is WAY better.

I never notice this "destroying" you speak of in everyday usage. Then again I don't use my phone as primarily a gaming device, I use it as a phone and internet browser.

If you want to mostly play games, why didn't you just get a 4s? The GPU in that is better than the GS3 last I checked................................................................

I feel like you bought the wrong phone even though you knew it wasn't going to be what you want.

I never notice this "destroying" you speak of in everyday usage. Then again I don't use my phone as primarily a gaming device, I use it as a phone and internet browser.

If you want to mostly play games, why didn't you just get a 4s? The GPU in that is better than the GS3 last I checked................................................................

I feel like you bought the wrong phone even though you knew it wasn't going to be what you want.

Nah, I bought it knowing what I was going into. It games decent. But by no means is a GSIII the ultimate phone people seem to think it is.

People need to get real and realize the GSIII isn't the greatest phone since sliced bread, its probably one of the best Android phones though.

I've owned phones from both camps and there's glaring issues with Android and iOS.

GSIII is fast for browsing, but I find that it hitches A LOT during texting, might be the predictive nature of swiftkey, who knows.

I also want it to play games, not primarily for games. Android marketplace sucks, and leaves a lot to be desired. Also, for the people who have stuck with Android from the beginning, I pity them for having to suffer through such a crappy OS until ICS.

Of course all the GSIII dick riders/android users are probably going to jump on this trying to defend the Android platform.

iOS and Android has their pros though. One glaring issue I find is double tap to top feature is missing in Android.. seriously annoying. Though I do like the idea of widgets, and wish iOS had it.

Oh and in every day usage.. you're probably right in the browsing and general phone usage (Which I use quite a bit) not being noticeable, except the iphone5 feels a bit "snappier" than my GSIII.. it could be the animations. I'm not getting the iPhone 5, and Apple and my phone carrier has turned me away from them.

Btw, I really like the gs3 after using it a lot. Im just stating what i feel is a lot of misconception being spread by rabid fanboys.

If you want a big ass phone, you are going to get the Note 2 like my wife. If you want the latest iPhone, you'll get an iPhone. If you want bricks produced by Samsung or Apple, you'll buy bricks with their respective logo's on it.

So... I take it your wife is buying a brick? :p

You, sir, are the troll.

Wow, I'm a troll for praising the architecture of the A6 and explaining why it's faster than a gs3 and also saying that competition is good.

I must be the worst troll ever or maybe just maybe you must be deluded

Anyway back to the Note2. The one thing that really stands out to me is the digitizer (now even improved from the original).

I really wish Samsung would offer a pen/digitizer option on their smaller phones. It is really nice to have the option of very fine control. Something you can never get just using fingers.

Apple's A15 based A6 1.3GHz (auto underclock/overclock 800mhz-1.3Ghz) is still beating a A9 based Quad Core A9 1.6GHz chip (auto underclock/overclock 386mhz-1.6Ghz).

Fixed

I find it ingenious that people keep calling the A6 a 1GHz chip when it clocks up to 1.3GHz to achieve its benchmark numbers. The A6 is a 1.3GHz for intensive benchmark purposes. By the same token, we might as well call the galaxy S3 a 940MHz phone (auto underclock/overclock 386mhz-1.5Ghz).

Anyways, the A6 has amazing GPU and memory performance. Just the CPU is actually only par with the dual core Snapdragon S4 performance (A6 @ 1.3GHz vs S4 @ 1.5GHz has pretty much even CPU results)

It's not really A15-based though. Same with Krait. This is like an AnandTech thing where if there's an extension or particular characteristic that a chip shares with A15, it's called A15-like or based on A15 or whatever, despite the fact that there's very little overlap.

It's really a custom core most similar to a Cortex-A9.

It's not really A15-based though. Same with Krait. This is like an AnandTech thing where if there's an extension or particular characteristic that a chip shares with A15, it's called A15-like or based on A15 or whatever, despite the fact that there's very little overlap.

It's really a custom core most similar to a Cortex-A9.

Oh really? Its similar to an A9? Not according the the article YOU CITED:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6292/iphone-5-a6-not-a15-custom-core

In here it states that the instruction set it uses can only be used by A15. It is not A9 AT ALL. A9 cant use this instruction set.

The A6 is 99.5% A15. Its' an A15 for sure for sure.

Key quote from the article:

What's the main difference between the armv7 and armv7s architecture targets for the LLVM C compiler? The presence of VFPv4 support. The armv7s target supports it, the v7 target doesn't. Why does this matter?

Only the Cortex A5, A7 and A15 support the VFPv4 extensions to the ARMv7-A ISA. The Cortex A8 and A9 top out at VFPv3. If you want to get really specific, the Cortex A5 and A7 implement a 16 register VFPv4 FPU, while the A15 features a 32 register implementation. The point is, if your architecture supports VFPv4 then it isn't a Cortex A8 or A9.

It's pretty easy to dismiss the A5 and A7 as neither of those architectures is significantly faster than the Cortex A9 used in Apple's A5. The obvious conclusion then is Apple implemented a pair of A15s in its A6 SoC.

For unpublishable reasons, I knew the A6 SoC wasn't based on ARM's Cortex A9, but I immediately assumed that the only other option was the Cortex A15. I foolishly cast aside the other major possibility: an Apple developed ARMv7 processor core.

From the same article, "I've confirmed that Apple's A6 SoC is based on Apple's own ARM based CPU core and not the Cortex A15."

Like I said -- it's a custom core (like Krait is). It's not an A15 or based on A15. It has an extension (VFPv4) that is a part of the A15 and other Cortex series.

Just because -- like Krait -- it has OoO execution or a particular extension, doesn't make it an A15 or based on an A15, or any of the other appeals to A15 that Anand is always making. Apple rolled their own chip, just like Qualcomm. To Anand that always seems to mean "based on A15".

And I didn't say it was an A9 either. I said it was a custom chip.

And how do you know this thing is 99.5% A15? Has it been shown to have LPAE, a hypervisor mode and ECC RAM support? Those are the biggest feature additions to the A15 core. Without those it would be, as I said, "most similar to an A9". If it does have them, then I would consider it most similar to an A15.

And I like Anand so I'm not calling him out per se, I just don't like how he consistently refers to Krait (and now the A6?) as A15-like. In theory, the real A15s should be a marked improvement over this generation in terms of performance and features.

In here it states that the instruction set it uses can only be used by A15. It is not A9 AT ALL. A9 cant use this instruction set.

Ooops, I missed this part. The A9 and A15 use the same instruction set (ARMv7). They do not have different instruction sets.

The next ISA is ARMv8 which brings 64-bit support amongst other features.

The "armv7s" refers simply to a compiler target option found in Apple's LLVM / Clang toolchain. It's for the ARMv7 instruction set and adds a flag to enable the VFPv4 extension.

If it were two different instruction sets (A9 vs. A15), developers would be in a world of hurt because they would need two different versions of their apps.

Ooops, I missed this part. The A9 and A15 use the same instruction set (ARMv7). They do not have different instruction sets.

The next ISA is ARMv8 which brings 64-bit support amongst other features.

The "armv7s" refers simply to a compiler target option found in Apple's LLVM / Clang toolchain. It's for the ARMv7 instruction set and adds a flag to enable the VFPv4 extension.

If it were two different instruction sets (A9 vs. A15), developers would be in a world of hurt because they would need two different versions of their apps.

I'm going with Anand. You're incorrect, it's A15 based.

Back