Galaxy Nexus - What ROM are you currently running?

Drawmonster

2[H]4U
I've been running Patient Zero from Droidtheory, but he's been gone for a while. This is the second time he's disappeared, and not saying it's his fault by any means, but I need to find a ROM that has a semi-permanent developer backing. I've been experiencing a weird bug with the latest PZ build that is a gamebreaker, so need a new ROM.

Thinking of going back to AOKP. I used it for a while after Droidtheory's first diappearance, and I really liked it.

What ROM are you guys running on you Gnex?

CM9 kang by winner00 with franco kernel. I highly recommend it. Its much better than official cm9 (faster more stable) and had most of the cm9 features before the official build. Assuming your on verizon. This exact rom is also on the sprint version. This has been my daily rom for pretty much the entire time I have had the phone. I have tried almost every rom but I always go back to this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1404988

Official CM9 nightlies. Was using franco kernel until recently but kept getting data drops with the screen off. Like, wifi would just stop when the screen was off, despite having it set to always on. Doesn't happen with stock CM9 kernel.

Official CM9 nightlies. Was using franco kernel until recently but kept getting data drops with the screen off. Like, wifi would just stop when the screen was off, despite having it set to always on. Doesn't happen with stock CM9 kernel.

GSM or CDMA version? He reverted the wifi driver i think in recent builds which fixed the wifi drop issue. There was a new experimental one that caused that issue.

AOKP, thats just personal preference for some of the stuff they add (not sure if CM has the stuff yet), too numerous to list that CM didnt have when I last got it going (Build ~35)

GSM or CDMA version? He reverted the wifi driver i think in recent builds which fixed the wifi drop issue. There was a new experimental one that caused that issue.

GSM on today's nightly. I've been updating them every day for the past week or so. With yesterday's it was still doing the wifi drop with franco kernel. With today's nightly it hasn't done it so far leaving it on stock kernel.

CM9 kang by winner00 with franco kernel. I highly recommend it. Its much better than official cm9 (faster more stable) and had most of the cm9 features before the official build. Assuming your on verizon. This exact rom is also on the sprint version. This has been my daily rom for pretty much the entire time I have had the phone. I have tried almost every rom but I always go back to this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1404988

Thanks will try this out, been running CM9 Nightly's, but always up for something fresh, even though this probably isn't much different, so what installing now :D

Jumped back and forth between a lot of them but keep coming back to AOKP especially with franco Kernel.

Bump to see what everyone is running nowadays.

I've been running JBSourcery's ROMs for the last few weeks and they're by far the most customizable JB ROM I've seen so far. I was pretty stuck on Liquidsmooth ROMs before that, but since JB has been out, they've been really slow to update their ROMs with all the features they had in their ICS ROMs.

Flashing JBSourcery 2.1 I type this.

I'm running TeamEOS's JB nightlies (EOS3)

Not a highly used ROM based on Goo.im's download numbers but it's rock solid and has a great feature set. Runs better than Liquid Smooth as it lacks some of the crazy tweaks they did imo. I love how you can flash nightlies in JB without wiping. Saves me a lot of trouble.

Watching this thread as last night we pulled the trigger on TWO GNexes.... one for me and one for the roomie. Can't wait for Google to ship these out already! *drool*

Watching this thread as last night we pulled the trigger on TWO GNexes.... one for me and one for the roomie. Can't wait for Google to ship these out already! *drool*
If you want to load them with custom ROMs, make sure you fastboot oem unlock them right out of the box. Unlocking wipes your phone.

Codename Android 3.4.1 with trinity Alpha53 kernel.
Every option while still having the stock look if you want of JB, trinity is the best kernel IMO

Codename Android 3.4.1 with trinity Alpha53 kernel.
Every option while still having the stock look if you want of JB, trinity is the best kernel IMO

With Codename Android you might as well just say you are running CM10, AOKP and whatever other ROM he kanged from as that would be more accurate.

Anyways...

I'm on BAMF Paradigm v2.3 and running the new radios for VZW GNex from the leaked JB build.

Was on CM10 preview builds for a bit, but had some issues with battery drain so went to BAMF and have been quite happy with it.

I'm very happy with the stock rom so far. which is the first time I could ever say that about any of the droid phones I've had so far. I might root it just to get a ad free experience again, but otherwise I really dig the stock rom :cool:

So I'm really liking the featureset and reputation of the Trinity kernel... can anyone recommend a ROM to pair with it? In particular a plain CM10 ROM with no outrageous crap thrown in would be nice....

Is the best recovery going to be TWRP?

I'm on BAMF Paradigm v2.3 and running the new radios for VZW GNex from the leaked JB build.

Was on CM10 preview builds for a bit, but had some issues with battery drain so went to BAMF and have been quite happy with it.

Can I get a link to the radio? I assume this is the OS, but what version of the OS are you running (Toro, Maguro, etc). I just never heard of it until you just mentioned it so I want to make sure if i install it I don't install anything retarded...lol. I'm on Verizon too.

I'm currently on CM10 myself and my battery drains super fast, shit 4G in my area though too. It sucks so bad I have it turned off most of the time. Might try this OS out out if it has a similar feature set (haven't browsed through the details yet).

Thanks

So I'm really liking the featureset and reputation of the Trinity kernel... can anyone recommend a ROM to pair with it? In particular a plain CM10 ROM with no outrageous crap thrown in would be nice....

Is the best recovery going to be TWRP?

Plain Jane ROM would be BuglessBeast. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/9621-romjbicsaosp-bugless-beast/

Pete does good work, but last time I checked his ROM was pretty much pure AOSP and nothing else.

You can also try Rootzboat. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/29494-rom-toro-jb-the-return-of-rootzboat/

Xoomdev does good work too.

Both of those ROM's will be minimalist in their addons.

I use TWRP nowadays. I find it to be far more reliable than CWM.

Can I get a link to the radio? I assume this is the OS, but what version of the OS are you running (Toro, Maguro, etc). I just never heard of it until you just mentioned it so I want to make sure if i install it I don't install anything retarded...lol. I'm on Verizon too.

I'm currently on CM10 myself and my battery drains super fast, shit 4G in my area though too. It sucks so bad I have it turned off most of the time. Might try this OS out out if it has a similar feature set (haven't browsed through the details yet).

Thanks

Verizon GNex = Toro
GSM GNex = Maguro
Sprint GNex = Toroplus

So I'm on Toro.

Here is the link to the new radio's from yesterdays leak:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/33228-jro03o-radios-for-toro-ff02fg02/

With Codename Android you might as well just say you are running CM10, AOKP and whatever other ROM he kanged from as that would be more accurate.

Anyways...

LOL are you one of the CNA haters?
I know what I am running thank you. Besides what's wrong with what he does? He takes all the best of AOKP and CM10 and puts them in one place for you. We should be grateful.
Android is all a KANG of sorts.

That being said the only nandroid i have is Paradigm 2.2 with diet kernel. I will switch back over and update to 2.3 when I get bored. How's those leaked radios? They only leaked for TORO right? I'm running a Maguro.

Last edited:
To get this back to the original topic a bit, I've been using the AOKP JB nightlies. Tried CM10 when I found out they had the ability to unlink the ringer and notification volumes (still not sure why Google decided to go in and link those on 4.0.4), but it didn't appear to have the ability to adjust the soft keys, and just didn't seem to run quite as well on my Toro. So now that the next AOKP nightly should have that feature built in based on the Gerrit merges, I'm happy.

I've been pairing this with the 180MHz LeanKernel, since I'm kind of a minimalist user of my phone, and don't really need all the features in Trinity or Franco's kernels. Been working pretty well for me.

Thanks
The new radios have been night and day for me with regards to 4G so far. I haven't tried them at home yet, which has been a very spotty 4G area, so I'm not out of the woods yet, but at work and around town I've had great 4G reception and no signal drops. These had been the bane of my existence on 4G before today, I've had 4G disabled almost the whole time since I bought the phone. Sad that it took so long for the phone to get an update to make it work properly.

Running an out-of-date version of Jelly Belly by Jakeday. I'll be updating soon

I use to run Gummy Nexus, but now i've switched to JellyBelly and I have to say I enjoy it. Very fast and smooth.

The new radios have been night and day for me with regards to 4G so far....snip...

Thanks for the data, sure hoping I have a similar experience. I just installed the new radio he linked right now onto my CM10. Will test later on, mainly in regards to 4G coverage in my area. Verizonwireless.com reports my area as having/being a normal (covered) 4G zone but I must be on the edge of coverage OR their map exaggerates because 4G has always sucked here (since I first got my G-Nex when it first came out).

Hoping this helps but I'm doubtful at this point.

Rattle said:
LOL are you one of the CNA haters?
I know what I am running thank you. Besides what's wrong with what he does? He takes all the best of AOKP and CM10 and puts them in one place for you. We should be grateful.
Android is all a KANG of sorts.

That being said the only nandroid i have is Paradigm 2.2 with diet kernel. I will switch back over and update to 2.3 when I get bored. How's those leaked radios? They only leaked for TORO right? I'm running a Maguro.

Kanging isn't the problem. What CNA (aka Blackdroid) did is the issue. He didn't just kang. He claimed it was all his own work. Cyanogen himself called him out on it (with mountains of proof) and instead of apologizing and moving on, CNA instead acted like a 2 year old. The Android community would be better off without him. He already stirred the pot enough since his return to get kicked off Rootzwiki in under a week.

Yes, most ROM's are kanged from elsewhere. AOKP and Liquid are both based on CM. Funny how neither of them ever have a working ROM until CM nightlies start up. ;) However, AOKP, Liquid, and many others give credit where credit is due and they don't try to claim others work as their own.

Yes, the LTE radio's are for Toro only.

The new radios have been night and day for me with regards to 4G so far. I haven't tried them at home yet, which has been a very spotty 4G area, so I'm not out of the woods yet, but at work and around town I've had great 4G reception and no signal drops. These had been the bane of my existence on 4G before today, I've had 4G disabled almost the whole time since I bought the phone. Sad that it took so long for the phone to get an update to make it work properly.

Running an out-of-date version of Jelly Belly by Jakeday. I'll be updating soon

I concur. The new radios are much better. I'm in an area with heavy 4G coverage so signal strength for me is usually based on the building I'm in. Where I work I used to get 4G unless I move near the middle of the building where I'd drop to 3G. Now I have to be pretty much in the center of the building to drop to 3G. The WiFi to 4G handoff is definitely improved as well.

I used Jelly Belly early on, but was turned off by the near daily updates and point releases due to bugs.

Gummy is no longer worked on or supported. kejar31 called it quits

Yeah that was disappointing. He did good work, but family always comes first.

Plain Jane ROM would be BuglessBeast. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/9621-romjbicsaosp-bugless-beast/

Pete does good work, but last time I checked his ROM was pretty much pure AOSP and nothing else.

Yeah this one might be good, especially for the roomie... she's not a power user so ideally I'd just like to get something as close to stock as possible but with the most optimizations for battery life and performance... maybe even just the stock JB ROM with a custom kernel. Although she did like some of the stuff CM had in CM9 on her old phone (lockscreen tweaks, status bar brightness control, battery percentage icon in statusbar, etc)

For myself I'd like to find something rock solid with lots of options, but visually as stock as possible. I hate it when ROM 'developers' release something with obnoxious bloat (graphics hacked to bits, colored text, fonts replaced with comic sans, baked in Gapps or worse yet really stupid apps, etc).

Yeah this one might be good, especially for the roomie... she's not a power user so ideally I'd just like to get something as close to stock as possible but with the most optimizations for battery life and performance... maybe even just the stock JB ROM with a custom kernel. Although she did like some of the stuff CM had in CM9 on her old phone (lockscreen tweaks, status bar brightness control, battery percentage icon in statusbar, etc)

For myself I'd like to find something rock solid with lots of options, but visually as stock as possible. I hate it when ROM 'developers' release something with obnoxious bloat (graphics hacked to bits, colored text, fonts replaced with comic sans, baked in Gapps or worse yet really stupid apps, etc).

If you want something that is fairly stock, but has enough to tinker with honestly BAMF Paradigm might be the ROM you're looking for. It doesn't have as many features as CM10, but they have a pretty good set of tweaks for you to play with including the few you specifically mentioned.

about to load up CM10, if that is not to my liking Paranoid Android ... or just the good old AOKP .... been running a bone stock JB rom

about to load up CM10, if that is not to my liking Paranoid Android ... or just the good old AOKP .... been running a bone stock JB rom

A bone stock JB ROM is actually fairly common surprisingly. Shows how far Android has come when the people don't need to really tweak anything anymore. Even P3Droid (love him or hate him) posted a blog that stated he was now "bored with Android." He says JB is so complete there's really no reason to screw with it anymore. Can't argue with his logic although I still find CM to be superior to stock due to the additional options and tools.

A bone stock JB ROM is actually fairly common surprisingly. Shows how far Android has come when the people don't need to really tweak anything anymore. Even P3Droid (love him or hate him) posted a blog that stated he was now "bored with Android." He says JB is so complete there's really no reason to screw with it anymore. Can't argue with his logic although I still find CM to be superior to stock due to the additional options and tools.

That is a very good point, and might make me move to a Windows 8 Phone this Fall. I love Android, having owned all three Nexus phones, but I too have become bored, I am running CM10 on my Galaxy Nexus and it's awesome, but I feel need to try something fresh and different. And the Nokia Lumia 920 Windows 8 Phone does look original and fresh to me, something different than iOS or Android, and the new Nokia, is supposed to come with some crazy awesome camera;
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/31/3281985/nokia-lumia-920-specs-pictures-leak

For me this Fall I want a new phone, is between the new Nokia Lumia 920, or the next Nexus device. No way I getting the iPhone5, LOL it's still an iPhone4, just with a boner now it's longer to allow one more row of app icons :rolleyes: Wow fucking iSheep will buy anything.

Last edited:
Was running one since before CM10, ended us on CM10

I just got my GNex and I went through a few roms including CM10. And my favorite by far is AOKP JellyBean 1. Everything works, tons of customization options (including resizing those huge softkey navigation buttons), great battery life for me (avg 17 hours). Now I have to try some kernels.

Just got 1day 4 hrs of good usage with cm10,beats my stock rom or aokp (ics). For me

Shoot I'm getting about 2 days out of mine on stock rom and stock battery with light usage.

LOVING my GNex... still have yet to unlock the bootloader or flash any ROMS, having a hell of a time getting my rig to recognize it for adb. Tried every goddamned Samsung driver linked in all of the howtos and guides to no avail. But I only spent about 20 minutes or so trying, busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest this weekend.

It's probably due to some leftover HTC drivers as I had to do reviews on an HTC EVO V and HTC One V recently.

Anyway looking forward to the better battery life especially. I barely got eight hours today on a full charge... but I used it a hell of a lot. :D

Back