Galaxy nexus camera by comparison to N95

j-dawg

Limp Gawd
I've got a Nokia N95 8GB that I'm pretty fond of, but it's really time to upgrade. I use the camera judiciously. I keep hearing tales of mediocrity regarding the Galaxy Nexus' camera; how would it compare to the N95? If it's a significant improvement - even if not up to snuff with, say, the Galaxy S III, at least noticeably better than the N95's - then I'd probably just buy the Nexus. Obviously there is more to this than the mpx figure. The Nokia makes beautiful photographs, but I can't imagine that the state of the art hasn't advanced from five or six years ago when the N95 came out. Anyone got a basis for comparison?

Thanks in advance.

Most likely the camera on the nexus is much better. 6 years ago is a long time for the state of mobile cameras. I think you'll love the nexus based on what your coming from. The software is amazing on it.

If Galaxy Nexus has similar camera then on my Galaxy S then I would say that N95 definitely has better camera. Main reason: superior optics.

Nokia N95 probably has the better camera. The GNex's camera is notorious for being not up to standard (compared to other high-end phone at the time of release), while the N95 is famous for being above standard enough so that it's the baseline for great cameras in a lot a phone camera comparisons.

But wouldn't you want a DSLR?

If Galaxy Nexus has similar camera then on my Galaxy S then I would say that N95 definitely has better camera. Main reason: superior optics.

Galaxy nexus's camera is definitely better than the original galaxy s's camera. I have used both. Also consider the fact that the international galaxy s had no flash.

Galaxy nexus's camera is definitely better than the original galaxy s's camera. I have used both. Also consider the fact that the international galaxy s had no flash.
To my eyes there's zero difference judging by GSM Arena comparison tool. There may be differences in noise reduction aggressiveness a bit but other than that they are basically the same and the difference is next to nothing. both probably use same sensor.

I still have a N95 kicking around my house somewhere. The camera on that thing was FANATASTIC for the time. The Galaxy Nexus has about 1.2 megapixels over the N95, but that does not really mean much since Samsung shoves about the most mediocre cameras possible in their phones. I own a Galaxy S2 now, and I would barely consider it an upgrade over the N95s camera with superior optics.

If you can wait, wait for Nokia to release a Pureview Windows phone. I am sick of terrible cameras in phone and am personally itching to upgrade to one.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Given that you've all suggested they may be more or less on par, I opted instead for the HTC One S, which it seems is generally considered superior to the Nexus. Hopefully this means it will be an improvement on the N95.

Much as I enjoyed the Nokia, it's time to join the modern world. Shame Nokia did not see fit to continue developing Symbian and MeeGo - I think their phones are generally better-looking and -built than the competition (see: E71, N8), but Windows Phone is still in its infancy and doesn't look to be gaining traction (not necessarily by any fault of its own).

Once again, many thanks.

I still think you would be happy with the nexus. The camera is good as long as you have adequate lighting and the software is light years ahead of what the one s has. It also has a much much better screen.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Given that you've all suggested they may be more or less on par, I opted instead for the HTC One S, which it seems is generally considered superior to the Nexus. Hopefully this means it will be an improvement on the N95.

Much as I enjoyed the Nokia, it's time to join the modern world. Shame Nokia did not see fit to continue developing Symbian and MeeGo - I think their phones are generally better-looking and -built than the competition (see: E71, N8), but Windows Phone is still in its infancy and doesn't look to be gaining traction (not necessarily by any fault of its own).

Once again, many thanks.

I feel your pain. I just switched from my n86 to an HTC One X. Although I like the One, i do miss my nokia. I am waiting for a Windows Mobile Pureview phone as was previous mentioned. I almost imported a Nokia 808 but figured since its an end of life OS the application pool would be shrinking rather than growing, especially in the US.

Supposedly the Jelly Bean update made the camera on the Galaxy Nexus better. I haven't had a chance to test it for myself yet.

Hi all,

Once again, many thanks.
fantastic choice. the one s is freaking awesome. the build quality is solid and the aesthetics are gorgeous. I finally feel the shell in my hand is fitting to hold android OS.

I am enjoying the One S so far. The camera is quite good. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison but I'm sure it's as least as good as that on the N95. If it weren't, the ease of use and the fantastic variety of options would more than make up for it.

Another issue I had with the Nexus was the size. I don't like the huge screens that have become the norm on these things - I have small hands and small pockets, and I think the big phones look goofy anyway. The One S is pretty big too, but it's relatively narrow, so it's easy enough to use.

I think the iPhone has nailed it as far as hardware is concerned - the quality of materials and build, the size, the aesthetics - but I don't like using iOS so it wasn't an option.

The pick's been made, but for those new to the thread, there's basically a triumvirate of camera phones to consider: the iPhone 4S is the king, followed very closely by the HTC One X/S and the Galaxy S III.

I'm actually starting to think that the next big wave of smartphone camera upgrades could rival mirrorless cameras and entry-level DSLRs for quality. The low-light capability, colors and sharpness are often better than many point and shoots.

What? Nokia N86, Nokia N8 and Nokia PureView 808 - they all slaughter other phones when it comes to camera.

What? Nokia N86, Nokia N8 and Nokia PureView 808 - they all slaughter other phones when it comes to camera.

Those first two are old, and while they did well, they're not at the cutting edge. And all of them have one important, major flaw: they run Symbian. I've used the PureView... the camera is amazing, but you're stuck using it with an old OS with a tendency to self-destruct. And on a 640 x 360 display, no less. Part of the ingredient of a good camera phone is software you want to use.

Back