Galaxy GTX560TI overheating

Malecoda

Limp Gawd
I recently came across a galaxy gtx560ti. I purchased the card for a friend, so I started stability testing as soon as I got it. The instant I turned on a game temperatures quickly rose to 90C (it would have continued to rise) with fans manually set to 100% before i stopped the test. My first instinct was to replace the tim with mx4, which resulted in lower idle temps, but the card still quickly climbs to 90C. The temperatures return to 30c after testing is stopped. The card is not warped, and the heatsink appears to be making good contact. Is the heatsink defective? There seem to be many reports of gtx560s overheating (or experiencing heat related failure), on the product page(link below). Will galaxy honor warranty if the tim has been replaced with better stuff (see galaxy link below)? Anyone have experience with galaxy's rma department?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162074
http://www.galaxytechus.com/__US__/Support6/RMAPolicy?lang=__US__

Thermal grease for Fan / Heat sink / GPU is missing or not original type of grease. out of warranty at this point it looks like.

Thanks. I read that part. I was wondering if anyone actually had a claim denied because of it. Is the galaxy rep still around the forums?

Touch the heatpipe when your stressing the card. If its not hot to the touch its not making proper contact.

I assume you mean 90C is the core reporting temp and I assume you're using GPU-Z? 90C is a little toasty yes but not shut-er-down-now hot. My old 6970 would easily hit 90C topping out around 97 but the VRMs routinely hit 120C. I would let it test a little longer after it hits 90C. Just because it hits 90C quickly doesn't mean it will continue to rise at the same rate. It could hit a wall and the HSF mitigates anything higher than, say, 95C. As another suggested, touch the heatpipes and various other parts of the heatsink, they should all be pretty hot to the touch (shouldn't burn you). If the temps hit ~105 on the core, shut her down and RMA. I've never heard of an acceptable core temp in the 100s.

As for the RMA, it never hurts to try. They may not notice (i.e. the tech might not even care). Just be sure you didn't destroy their "void if removed" sticker.

They don't give a crap about the TIM, just RMA it. Every manufacturer has that blurb in their warranty "just in case" you destroyed half the card by changing the paste. If you're really worried, look for the Galaxy rep on this board and PM them.

Thanks, I will attempt an rma.

The measurements were from afterburner - which i was using to control the fan speed. From my experience, a card with a working heatsink will rise to it's maximum temperature over a period longer than 5s. If the card had shown any signs of slowing down at 90c, I would have continued to monitor the temps.

Back