Galaxy GTX 650 TI Boost no video

Sparky

2[H]4U
I just received a Galaxy GTX650 TI Boost and installed it today. I got 1 long beep and 2 short beeps with no video. The system booted into windows as I can hear the startup sound. I tried both DVI ports to no avail. Did some research and the beep codes mean the BIOS cant initialize the card. I am running Win 7, Abit IP 35 PRO, Q6600, 2x2GB G. Skill 1066 ram.
I call Galaxy tech support and the tech named Eric said PCIe 3.0 cards are not backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0 slots.
I thought they would work from what I have read.
I tried moving ram around, reseating the card, and using 1 stick of ram.
Was looking forward to playing games this weekend before I go out of town for the holidays.

PCIe 3.0 cards are backwards compatible.

Is this a new (old) build? What kind of videocard was in there before and does it work if you put it back in?

Did you hook up the 6-pin power connector to the back of the card?

You can try clearing bios on the motherboard. Unplug power from the case and pull the battery for a few minutes.

Is it in the top PCIe 1.0 16x slot or the bottom that is 16x effectively 4x slot? Verify the power is snuggly connected to the card and the card itself is locked in the slot.

IDK what that guy was telling you. PCIe is backwards compatible so a GPU capable of PCIe 3.0 supports 2.0 and 1.0 naturally when they negotiate with the motherboard. It'll only go at the slowest speed though so that a 3.0 GPU capable card will function @ 16x PCIe 1.0. Still should be plenty to drive a 650 Ti without much, if any, bottlenecking.

The old BFG 9800 GT OC works in it. Put it back in and using it now.
The 6 pin power connector is hooked up.
Its in the top slot where the 9800 was.
My PS is Enermax 650w with 32a on the 12v rails.
Requested RMA and ordered a MSI GTX 660 2gb.
How does Eric the tech get a job there?

Last edited:
How does Eric the tech get a job there?

Because me and Liger88 didn't apply for the job ;)

The 650 is about 140w so your supply looks good enough. I think the 9800GT is about 105w.

Just for the heck of it. did you hook the 650 to the other Pci-e slot and see if it would show video?

Yes I hooked it up to the other slot and the same thing happen. I also tried some other thing I found on the web. I am giving the 9800 to my nephew so I decided to clean it up and put new thermal paste since it still has the original. I blow it out with my air compressor all the time for routine cleanup so I didnt expect it to be much dirty, boy was I wrong! After taking the fan/heatsink off I could see the fins inside had 1/2 inch of crap blocking airflow. That would explain the high pitch whine which started about a year ago. I cleaned everything up with Isoprophl alcohol and added artic silver and put it back together.
Went to boot up and the system wouldnt turn on. Reseated the card and the power connector and still would come on for 1/2 second and turn off. I took the card out and it turned on with the 1 long 2 short beep code. Put it back in and no go. Tried the other slot and same thing. I took it out but kept the power plug connected and the fan turned on high and the pc came on. No more high pitch whine:)
I guess it liked all the dirt. Nephew isnt going to be happy.
Seems like friday the 13th came a week to early for me.
At least my laptop still loves me.

My dad told me to never trust an electrician named Sparky. True story.

I own a PC repair business and fix everybodys. My own shit is another story.

Some older boards don't work with the new cards. I suspect this is the problem and your old out-of-date BIOS doesn't know how to talk to the card.

Some older boards don't work with the new cards. I suspect this is the problem and your old out-of-date BIOS doesn't know how to talk to the card.

This is correct, heck some of my first posts here and in other forums were bitching about that issue on AMD to turn around and find out that the same happened with Nvidia.

I was able to find a beta bios for my mobo way back when, so best of lucks OP.

Update your Motherboard Bios, thats all. I had same problem with my little sister oldie asus P5K with a C2D E8400.. but also you have to be conscious that some very old boards simply do not like new cards.. also if you had problems with your oldie 9800GT then could be another problem. how old its your PSU?..

Back