Galaxy Fold Thread

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by harsaphes, Sep 28, 2019.

1. harsaphes

harsaphes [H]ardness Supreme

Morning all. Thought I would start a Galaxy Fold thread for those of us stupid enough to drop a big two grand . 'Launch' day, if it can be called that was a joke. There were no Fold's in Bestbuy or ATT anywhere in NYC.

I really want an unlocked version but that seems to not be available at the moment. As soon as I get my device I'll report back.

2. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

Good luck. Everything I've read says you have to treat it like a faberge egg in order to warranty the screen. And don't store credit cards next to it.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  3. jmilcher

jmilcher [H]ardness Supreme

I’m actually surprised they didn’t just can this phone.

cosminmcm likes this.
  4. Aurelius

Aurelius 2[H]4U

I suspect it's partly an excess of pride (see also: the extreme reluctance to admit the Galaxy Note 7 had a serious flaw), partly a desire for real-world data to inform next-gen foldables. The catch, of course, is that it's asking you to pay nearly $2K to be a tester.

jmilcher likes this.
  5. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

The fact you can damage the screen with something as insignificant as your fingernail is a huge no go for me. Good luck.

T4rd likes this.
  6. harsaphes

I take very good care of my phone's so I'm not worried about that. Also I've never run my fingernail across the screen. Someone must be buying them they are sold out of all the best buys in nyc

7. Fremunaln

Fremunaln Limp Gawd

Resellers of course. While there are many ways to flush 2k down the proverbial toilet, enjoy it to the max. All the data beta testers like you will provide Samsung, basically decides future development on this category of smartphones.

8. Fremunaln

Fremunaln Limp Gawd

If you cant play with fire, dont drop 2k on it LOL. But seriously that Jerryrigeverything video was impressively informative.

The inner screen is level 1 or 2 in regards to hardness, but must be that material in orderr for the screen to fold.

9. Smashed Ixnay

Smashed Ixnay 2[H]4U

If I had money to throw away I'd probably get one. I like the innovation. I love my tech, but no way I'll spend $2k for a phone that will be obsolete in 2-3 years.

Fremunaln likes this.
  10. T4rd

T4rd PM an Admin to Pick Your Title

Way too many trade-offs to a normal phone for now:
    • Tiny-ass screen while closed, which makes using it one-handed and for media/navigation while docked in the car (one car doesn't have Android Auto) a lot less useful.
    • I'm careful with my phones too, but a display delicate enough to damage with my fingernail is going to inevitably look like shit after just a few months use just from other debris getting into it while it's closed.
    • Still has a notch to interfere with full screen videos and games.
    • Taking pics with it either folded or not is going to be awkward with either the small screen or cumbersome while unfolded.
    • Still no headphone jack on that big-ass device.
    • I'll bet the resale on these will be the worst of any phone ever in about 6 months when Samsung announces a considerably better successor; less than half MSRP at least for sure.
    • Last but not least, it's twice the price as any other flagship phone with a fraction of the durability.. not even sure that a few rain drops couldn't kill this thing if you used it outside and even older non-IP rated phones didn't have that issue for me.
    I love the idea of these and hope to have something like it in the next few years, but this is very much a first-gen device with tons of compromises and will mostly be forgotten by Samsung and everyone else as they continue to improve them and manufacture/sell more of them (while also hopefully driving pricing down).

11. harsaphes

Mine arrives Friday. Will post after set-up.

12. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Samsung should of just scrapped this phone and went back to the drawing board.

13. T4rd

T4rd PM an Admin to Pick Your Title

Yeah, GL with that.

14. harsaphes

I mean all these videos are ridiculous. NO ONE does any of these things to their phone. I've NEVER ruined a phone, ever.

15. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Honestly I don't know who the fold is for. It is priced out of reach for the common man. People who care about style and fashion would just get the latest and greatest iPhone. Rich techy people probably don't see the value in a fold.

16. harsaphes

I care about style and fashion and would never buy an iPhone.

The Mad Atheist and GoldenTiger like this.
  17. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Vain and shallow people also.

The Mad Atheist and GoldenTiger like this.
  18. harsaphes

Thank you. I'll take it.

vegeta535 and SticKx911 like this.
  19. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

If you can afford it and like it, go for it. We all want and or get things just because we want them. I’m sure it’ll be a fun phone, and I would assume many of the buyers on this have a high phone turnover rate anyway and will love it while they have it.

harsaphes likes this.
  20. harsaphes

I THINK I have a Fold being delivered today but its hard to tell. ATT said they cancelled the order but UPS says it's being delivered later today. In the mean time I picked one up at BB as a backup.

21. harsaphes

So I'm just finishing up setting up the device. First thing I did was unlock it and this morning I flashed the 'unlocked' version of the firmware onto it. No more ATT crap.
    I have to say the phone is great and it's NOT as fragile as you would think. Very very well built, solid in the hand (insert jokes), screen looks great. I'll post picts later.

22. Fremunaln

Fremunaln Limp Gawd

Someone give us a month use update. i want to know how the hinge operates after sitting in a typical pocket thats subject to lint and other small debris where other phones do fine. Also the inner screen any issues with normal use.

23. harsaphes

24. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

I hate to be that guy, but no sheet or pillow case? I'm guessing you're also not a phone case kinda person either than. Totally explains the lack of fear you have of this phone.

It's a nice looking phone for sure.

25. harsaphes

Putting a Dbrand skin on tomorrow!......bedding was in wash machine!

Edit two.....the top picture is in living area...that's a rug on the floor and that's the cats pillow. They don't like cases.

SticKx911 likes this.
  26. harsaphes