GALAX GTX 980 Ti HOF Air-Cooled Preorder

Quoting this exactly from the 2nd link you provided:

"4K definitely demands more VRAM out of GTA V. We saw maximum usage come near 5GB with maximum in-game settings. Therefore, 4GB VRAM video cards will be a bottleneck in this game at 4K."

Titan X is a single card yet its hitting 4.7GB and I'm guessing the 980 Ti will perform similarly. It's a good thing the 980 Ti has 6GB.

Quoting this exactly from the 2nd link you provided:

"4K definitely demands more VRAM out of GTA V. We saw maximum usage come near 5GB with maximum in-game settings. Therefore, 4GB VRAM video cards will be a bottleneck in this game at 4K."

Titan X is a single card yet its hitting 4.7GB and I'm guessing the 980 Ti will perform similarly. It's a good thing the 980 Ti has 6GB.

Those were mostly SLI setups, not single GPU's

The Galax GTX 980 HOF got great reviews

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/galax_geforce_gtx_980_hof_review,28.html
Conclusion
The HoF is mighty and powerful, next to that it looks exceptionally nice and the cooling stays silent as well. Combine that with the overall build quality and the sheer fact that this is the fastest GTX 980 we tested to date (by a good amount) then you cannot be anything else other than impressed. he HoF edition GALAX Geforce GTX 980 as such is frickin' fantastic, aside from one point which we will discuss at the noise levels chapter

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/77661-galax-geforce-gtx-980-hof/?page=11
Taking the reference design up to another level, the Galax Hall of Fame delivers the highest shipping frequency we've seen on a GTX 980 to date. Clocked up to 1,418MHz right out of the box, the HOF has easily topped our performance charts and goes unchallenged as the quickest single-GPU graphics card we've tested.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/kfa2_gtx980_hof_hall_of_fame_edition_review/23
Having spent a lot of time with it we can say that their belief in the excellence of the KFA2 GTX980 HOF was well placed. This thing is ridiculously good. It comes out of the box with a barely believable 1400MHz GPU clock speed and easily will romp past 1500MHz. Those speeds are backed up in the results too with the HOF finding itself at the summit of our single GPU graphs more often than not. Barring Crysis 3 and Unigine Heaven it was actually only ever topped by multi-GPU setups.

I did read that the card is not turning off the fans when idle, but I read that some new 980ti cards from other AIBs don't either. How common is that?

I've had a 680 white edition, 780 hof white edition, and 970 hof white editions. I can personally attest to the high level of quality in these cards. Their costumer service is also above average and rma turnaround is very fast.

I've had a 680 white edition, 780 hof white edition, and 970 hof white editions. I can personally attest to the high level of quality in these cards. Their costumer service is also above average and rma turnaround is very fast.

Are you in North America? I assume the 970 was bought after they became Galax, correct?

Are you in North America? I assume the 970 was bought after they became Galax, correct?
I'm in California and had 780HOF and now 970HOF in SLI.

Their customer service has been above and beyond what I expected, and even surpassed eVGA (or at least on par, I haven't gone back to eVGA after buying/using HOFs) as my goto company.

I have had to RMA a couple cards over the past year+ but they always taken care of any issues quickly. They have a NA service center in Illinois and they have a rep on the board here.

yes, and I for one thank him for it...lol
I had initially interpreted Kyle's post to mean that they had exposed Galaxy for some wrong doing, told the truth about it, and were no longer in the company's good graces.

If this is the interaction http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/02/06/galaxy_abandons_north_american_gpu_market/ being referred to, then it's less about showing a company's bad deeds and more about predicting the demise of a company and speculating about possible mismanagement.

There's an edit at the end of the article that Galaxy responded that they were not pulling out of the NA market and that seems to have been supported by history now looking back. I can't speak to the allegations of mismanagement but the other dire predictions didn't seem to have occurred. It's not surprising that a company would feel like the relationship had chilled after an article like that.

Yup, bought directly from galax :)

Based on the shipping information on the 980 Ti HOF, it looks like it ships from Hong Kong. They also mentioned we are responsible for all tax and tariffs. I'm not sure how I feel about that. 5-7 day shipping plus potentially paying for import tax?

There's an edit at the end of the article that Galaxy responded that they were not pulling out of the NA market and that seems to have been supported by history now looking back. I can't speak to the allegations of mismanagement but the other dire predictions didn't seem to have occurred. It's not surprising that a company would feel like the relationship had chilled after an article like that.

Galaxy lost all of its retail and etail shelf spaces with all major retailers in North America and was dropped from NVIDIA list of a authorized partners in North America. The only place you can still by Galaxy cards in NA is from its website.

I had initially interpreted Kyle's post to mean that they had exposed Galaxy for some wrong doing, told the truth about it, and were no longer in the company's good graces.

Please tell the truth since you are much better informed than I am. I would suggest, and this is simply my opinion, but a much more informed opinion than yours as I was in direct contact with the rep company that handled every single Galaxy GPU transaction in North America, that everything we wrote was 100% correct in that article. But obviously you know more than I do about the situation. So please share the facts as you are suggesting I did not get those correct.

Based on the shipping information on the 980 Ti HOF, it looks like it ships from Hong Kong. They also mentioned we are responsible for all tax and tariffs. I'm not sure how I feel about that. 5-7 day shipping plus potentially paying for import tax?

Well I'm on the west coast so shipping was on the quick side, but I never had any issues with tariffs or taxes, and I bought two 970s which were valued at over $800 at the time

be cool if they put a Transparent Aluminum backplate on there.

I'm in California and had 780HOF and now 970HOF in SLI.

Their customer service has been above and beyond what I expected, and even surpassed eVGA (or at least on par, I haven't gone back to eVGA after buying/using HOFs) as my goto company.

I have had to RMA a couple cards over the past year+ but they always taken care of any issues quickly. They have a NA service center in Illinois and they have a rep on the board here.

I have two Galaxy 4GB 680s in SLI right now and the performance and support has been fantastic. Now hearing that Galax is just as good and living in Chicago I'm sold. I ordered 2.

Actually.. they do. It's real, though not crystal clear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

alon_transparent_armor_2.jpg

So I ordered 2 of these and when I entered my address I tried to enter Chicago, IL but Illinois was not listed in the list of states. I thought it was some silly mistake so I emailed Galax

I live in Chicago Illinois, not Indiana Your website does not list Illinois in your list of states

Here is their reply

I am sorry but IL is a state we can’t ship to.

WTF! I really wanted 2 of these!

That's new. And to have 2 of these in cross fire would be so amazing.

I wish we really had a saturation of non-reference 980ti. All these press release are a tease.

So I ordered 2 of these and when I entered my address I tried to enter Chicago, IL but Illinois was not listed in the list of states. I thought it was some silly mistake so I emailed Galax

I live in Chicago Illinois, not Indiana Your website does not list Illinois in your list of states

Here is their reply

I am sorry but IL is a state we can’t ship to.

WTF! I really wanted 2 of these!
I assume there is a tax issue since that's literally the only state they won't ship to.

You could rent a nearby retail mailbox for a month for around $10 bucks but that depends on how badly you want the cards :)

I assume there is a tax issue since that's literally the only state they won't ship to.

You could rent a nearby retail mailbox for a month for around $10 bucks but that depends on how badly you want the cards :)

Oh I want them BADLY!

I have a friend that lives in Indiana right across the border. I'm going to ship to him.

It seems to me that the card will be coming with a WHITE backplate. Sales told me that they have updated pictures on the site to reflect this.

backplate980tihof.jpg

God that would look so good in my build. But I am still holding out for 2016 ><

Yep, tax issue

The distribution comes from IL and they are not set up for taxes there. In order to ship to IL there is a state tax. That is something they are working on but in the scope of things it is more trouble than it is worth. I understand your disappointment but there is nothing they can do right now.

Order finally shipped out yesterday, it looks like it'll get to me on the 14th.

On a side note, the GALAX shipping notification email was in my spam box (gmail).

I hope I wouldn't get the pictured item. I see a fan connector disconnected on top, the PCB isn't cut out for SLI and the backplate comes along side of the card :p

My first impressions:

The card seems to have a voltage limitation of 1.2v. I only get a +40 mhz overclock which leads to a 1470 mhz boost clock, anything higher will result in immediate crashes. While I did not test long term stability, it passes FireStrike Ultra with a score of 4667 (i7 4770K @ 4.1 ghz, don't know if this a bottleneck).

Upon further testing during gaming, it seems even a 40 mhz clock was too much for longer term stability. I defaulted back to stock clocks, which isn't bad since it boosts to 1430 mhz normally.

Here is a screenshot of my GPU-Z
9N0Xzcg.png

Upon further testing during gaming, it seems even a 40 mhz clock was too much for longer term stability. I defaulted back to stock clocks, which isn't bad since it boosts to 1430 mhz normally.

Isn't that a little underwhelming for a HOF that costs $699?

Isn't that a little underwhelming for a HOF that costs $699?

It does feel like it is not performing on par with the HOF branding, and at this point I feel like I should have waited for the EVGA Classified or gone with a different brand. With the voltage being locked to 1.2 there's really nothing I can do other than wait for a modded HOF 980 Ti BIOS. Btw, the button in the back of the card seems to do nothing at all whether its pressed or depressed.

On another note, I just bought a G1 Gaming 980 Ti, so if that turns out to be a better overclocker I may end up returning this one.

really is unfortunate they dont give you any extra umph. Still such a pretty card though.

really is unfortunate they dont give you any extra umph. Still such a pretty card though.
If it's anything like my 970's they do give *some* extra oomph. Mine boost to 1430 out of the box (sounds like his do the same from what he wrote above), which is nearly 300MHz more than stock boost speeds.

I was able to hit 1500 with my 970s but I run them in SLI so the temps were really too high for my tastes anyway. When I was researching water blocks to get those temps down, I came across a few threads that were talking about how no matter the voltage they weren't really delivering any more performance. Here's one of the threads (that's the current end of the thread, but read backwards until you see them discussion the same issue with the 980s):
http://www.overclock.net/t/1476455/official-galax-galaxy-kfa2-hof-owners-club/1840

here's a discussion about 8 Pack hitting 1600
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28309266#post28309266

I've also come across posts from nVidia reps themselves confirming that the Maxwell architecture itself is limited in this regard. You might be able to hit the silicon lottery with a HOF or a G1 or something, but all seem to operating at or near the architecture's performance ceiling. I wouldn't expect much from a custom BIOS, especially not on air, and we may very well be seeing OC'ing going the way of the dodo bird come Pascal. This has already been a long time coming for us old timers, it's already been true for CPUs and memory that flipping switches to OC has never been easier but gains were in benchmarks and not really translating to day to day usage benefits like a decade ago.

Back