Galactic Civilization 2

TheCommander

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a game similar to Master of Orion 1/2. Would this be something like it? And how is Galactic Civ 2 compared compared to the first one?

TheCommander said:
I'm looking for a game similar to Master of Orion 1/2. Would this be something like it? And how is Galactic Civ 2 compared compared to the first one?

Its very good. AI is decent and its kind of a mix of the good parts of MOO2 and MOO3. Never played galciv1, but i did play the shit out of Moo2.

MOO did a better job of getting down to the nitty gritty of tech descriptions and racial developments, but its easy to get passed.

Strangely enough, I have a spare CE copy im selling in the For Sale forum on the cheap. ;)

Thems AIs is sneaky.

Its the only strategy game I've ever played where I've gone "why you cheeky little...."

The only thing that I don't like about the game is that the Dread Lords seem to ignore the powerful civs right next to them and make a beeline to taking me out. Other than that, fun stuff, great graphics.

I've played it a bit at a friend's house, just a few hours worth, but it was enough that I went out at lunch today and bought it. Just the fact that you can design your own ships...damn that's addictive!

I picked it up a few weeks go. According to the GalCiv2 website a tiny galaxy should be a few hours of play. I'm up to over 8 hours on a tiny galaxy. Ugh. I don't have that type of time in my life to play games. I'm getting too much for my money. It just isn't fair. I could spend all day playing this game. :D

I do really like the game. I have been having fun creating ships too. I'm really likeing GalCiv2.

ianshot said:
I picked it up a few weeks go. According to the GalCiv2 website a tiny galaxy should be a few hours of play. I'm up to over 8 hours on a tiny galaxy. Ugh. I don't have that type of time in my life to play games. I'm getting too much for my money. It just isn't fair. I could spend all day playing this game. :D

I do really like the game. I have been having fun creating ships too. I'm really likeing GalCiv2.

Once you have a stable of ships and have standardized your build process on planets and your expansion process then games will go much faster.

Here is my build sequence most of the time (regardless of Planet Quality, though certain unusual things will modify it a little)...

Colony (default) Factory, Starport, Research Center, Market, Farm, Factory, Research Center, Farm, Entertainment, Culture, Factory, Research Center, Market.

I will usually put in a "special/wonder" after the culture if I have anything other than exactly 2 spaces left (Because I intentionally try to keep Factories and Research Centers exactly even on all planets to reduce wasted BC's). After the Market I will look at using any more spaces for specials/wonders, but if I have lots left then I will add stuff in the following order:

Factory, Research, Factory, Research, Market... etc...

Obviously if I have a special resource (other than a 300% or higher FARM bonus, which is just begging for unrest) I will try to use it, and alter my build plan accordingly. Like if I have a 300% factory bonus I will build a factory on it and then after the starport I will build 3 research centers and THEN population, markets, and entertainment if I have room (until my totals are back on track).

Also really think about the following statement, and what it means when picking race bonuses and a political party, as well as whether to build farming and markets/banks etc. vs. factories....

There is only ONE real resource in the game: BC's (money)

Best 4x game I've played in a while (and that includes Civ4).
The ship designer is just plain fun.
The AI (on the higher levels) will adapt to your strategy and counter pretty well.
It can take a while to play, particularly on the bigger maps and the tech tree is massive. Slogging through to the heavy guns can take hundreds of turns even if you're a warmonger.

It's a very solid improvement on GalCiv 1. If you're a fan of the style (GalCiv 1, Stars!, Old MOO, Space Empries ect), do yourself a favor and pick this one up.

Back